G23 OWB Summer Carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G23 OWB Summer Carry

Gunnersmate4
07-08-2011, 19:03
Here's how I dressed today proving you can conceal a G23 comfortably OWB during mild summer days. I'm 5'10" 195lbs and have a little bit of a gut, love handles, spare tire...whatever you want to call it. I like wearing my holster at the 9 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) with a straight vertical cant.

What I wore:

Shirt: Green polo shirt, slightly bigger than normal but not overly baggy, I wear size L polos normally-the polo in the pics is a XL. White t-shirt underneath
Pants: 5.11 tactical pants (Also works with any kind of jeans)
Belt: 5.11 1.5" web belt (My everyday use gunbelt)
Holster: Mitch Rosen Upper Limit-Express Line holster
Gun: Glock 23 .40S&W

When I asked my wife where my gun was, she identified my right front pocket and thought it was only my Walther PPK. Lifted my shirt and her eyes widened to see my G23 under the polo. Temp today was in the mid to upper 60's which is mild even for WA. I was comfortable all day in this set up running errand with my wife and daughter. You could also wear shorts if the temp was warmer with the same result. Hope this helps some people as it starts getting warmer throughout the country.

Dozerdog
07-08-2011, 20:22
I also carry a G23 in a Mitch Rosen, but it's a 5JR President (excellent holster - my favorite). My only suggestion: don't use a solid color cover shirt, a print conceals much better without "printing".

BailRecoveryAgent
07-08-2011, 21:14
I too conceal a G23 everyday, most of the time in just a tshirt in the blistering 60 degree july Washington heat. The people that say you can't, either haven't or aren't doing something right.

Gunnersmate4
07-08-2011, 21:31
I also carry a G23 in a Mitch Rosen, but it's a 5JR President (excellent holster - my favorite). My only suggestion: don't use a solid color cover shirt, a print conceals much better without "printing".

Winter time I conceal the G23 in sweatshirts, both solid and ones with print. I have button up and polos both solid and print designs. To me and my body style either works well provided i've got the right holster and shirt combo. To me those are the two crucial factors. Thanks for the input. I had the 5JR without the thumbreak and I agree it's a great holster, but I like the vertical cant of the UPL-EXP.

Gunnersmate4
07-08-2011, 21:33
I too conceal a G23 everyday, most of the time in just a tshirt in the blistering 60 degree july Washington heat. The people that say you can't, either haven't or aren't doing something right.

What holster do you conceal the G23 in with a t-shirt? Do you get a t-shirt a size bigger? OWB? IWB? Personally I don't find IWB very comfortable for my body type.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-09-2011, 00:55
What holster do you conceal the G23 in with a t-shirt? Do you get a t-shirt a size bigger? OWB? IWB? Personally I don't find IWB very comfortable for my body type.

I wear the same size tshirts that I would wear if I didn't carry. I much prefer OWB, and with broad shoulders and a narrow(er) waist, I have a little dead space between the shirt and my body, where the gun stays nice and concealed.

Galco Cop Series used to be my EDC holster, now it serves as a backup/Harley riding holster.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/3122011071.jpg

Now I use a Desantis Facilitator for the added security of a level 2 retention holster for work, but I've been wearing every day whether working or not. I'm probably going to use this holster full time from now on.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/004.jpg

ETA: I'm a little less fat in the second pic than the first, the more weight I lose, the easier owb is to conceal and even more comfortable.

IndyGunFreak
07-09-2011, 06:36
OWB is very easy. I always wear solid color shirts, never a problem.

High Noon Slideguard.

3rdgen40
07-09-2011, 06:43
OWB is the only way I ever carry.My Sig 239 in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard conceals easily under a normal fit T-shirt.

hikerpaddler
07-09-2011, 06:47
Concealing a 23 OWB is easy. Even in shorts and a t shirt. Here's how I dressed today proving you can conceal a G23 comfortably OWB during mild summer days. I'm 5'10" 195lbs and have a little bit of a gut, love handles, spare tire...whatever you want to call it. I like wearing my holster at the 9 o'clock position (I'm a lefty) with a straight vertical cant.

What I wore:

Shirt: Green polo shirt, slightly bigger than normal but not overly baggy, I wear size L polos normally-the polo in the pics is a XL. White t-shirt underneath
Pants: 5.11 tactical pants (Also works with any kind of jeans)
Belt: 5.11 1.5" web belt (My everyday use gunbelt)
Holster: Mitch Rosen Upper Limit-Express Line holster
Gun: Glock 23 .40S&W

When I asked my wife where my gun was, she identified my right front pocket and thought it was only my Walther PPK. Lifted my shirt and her eyes widened to see my G23 under the polo. Temp today was in the mid to upper 60's which is mild even for WA. I was comfortable all day in this set up running errand with my wife and daughter. You could also wear shorts if the temp was warmer with the same result. Hope this helps some people as it starts getting warmer throughout the country.

toshbar
07-09-2011, 22:16
I, and all 145lbs of me, concealed my 23 IWB all day in shorts and a medium t-shirt while I instructed a riflery course. Bent over, got on the ground, went over rifle positions and nobody noticed, not even the other instructors until I lifted up my shirt tail when one asked what I carry.

CTAC - FTW!!!1!!

cowboy1964
07-09-2011, 23:21
deleted

glocker73
07-10-2011, 00:13
OWB is a breeze in a TT GunLeather Snap Pancake.

X-Concealment
07-11-2011, 14:44
Summer time in FL temp regularly in the 90s, G26 is my daily, but occationally, I do carry my 19 OWB under an untacked shirt. I wouldn't go leather in this temp, so Kydex is the only way for me.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/leenixwholesale/1-1.jpg

Or

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/leenixwholesale/G4.jpg

eric_in_texas
07-11-2011, 17:39
Another one here! I carry my G23 in a cheapo Glock Sport Holster with a t-shirt.

Just1More
07-11-2011, 17:47
It hides good just standing there....but what happens when you bend over to unload your cart at the grocery store? It'll print like a mofo!

collim1
07-11-2011, 18:05
Several years ago I use to daily CCW a G23 under light clothing in a Bianchi Carrylok model 82.

I find with the contour of the Glock more than a few degrees cant causes it to print more than a straight drop holster.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-11-2011, 23:21
It hides good just standing there....but what happens when you bend over to unload your cart at the grocery store? It'll print like a mofo!

I'm not 7' tall, and I don't put groceries underneath the cart so that isn't an issue.

Several years ago I use to daily CCW a G23 under light clothing in a Bianchi Carrylok model 82.

I find with the contour of the Glock more than a few degrees cant causes it to print more than a straight drop holster.

I agree, I find I like the lesser amount of cant that the Facilitator has, the Galco has so much forward cant, it forces your wrist at an uncomfortable, awkward position in order to get a good grip on the weapon. Its now my motorcycle carry holster.

X-Concealment
07-12-2011, 04:33

[QUOTE=BailRecoveryAgent;17618104]I'm not 7' tall, and I don't put groceries underneath the cart so that isn't an issue.
[QUOTE]

I used to carry straight up with a sig 228 or a G19, straight up did give the feeling of less print when standing up, until one time I was seating in a resturant with my back against chair, you know that type of wood chair has vertical grill backing, I didn't know the pistol grip was completely sticking out between the spaces from chair back, and is wasn't a summer day, I was wearing a hoody jacket. until my wife pointed that gun grip is stiking out like a tumor on my back, doens't matter how I tried to sit up straight, that "tumor" just wouldn't go away. Ruined the whole dinner for me. Gave up vertical for CCW carry since that day, and only used straight for IDPA. If I ever carry straight up in a returant again, I would only sit at a booth.

Bill Lumberg
07-12-2011, 07:14
Unless you're pretty skinny, minimal cant is preferable. Zero cant in many cases. Cant isn't about retention, that's a user/holster design issue. Cant only helps drawstroke where the holster is worn behind 9 or 3 o'clock.

rvrctyrngr
07-12-2011, 09:21
Unless you're pretty skinny, minimal cant is preferable. Zero cant in many cases. Cant isn't about retention, that's a user/holster design issue. Cant only helps drawstroke where the holster is worn behind 9 or 3 o'clock.

I agree. I'm fairly thin and my two primary OWB holsters are custom rigs with about a 10 degree cant. Just enough to tilt the butt a bit, but not enough to hinder the draw (worn at 3:00). All others are straight drop. Yes, they print a tad more (depending on cover garment), but I don't worry about it.

As age makes its presence felt more and more, the arthritis in my hands precludes the typical FBI 15 degree cant, and I've found it's just not necessary for me.

nickcarr
07-12-2011, 21:33
Summer time in FL temp regularly in the 90s, G26 is my daily, but occationally, I do carry my 19 OWB under an untacked shirt. I wouldn't go leather in this temp, so Kydex is the only way for me.

Shin, nice holster. I like the design too. Can you post pictures of it on the hip? I'm just curious to see what the set up is like...

Thanks!

X-Concealment
07-13-2011, 05:30
Shin, nice holster. I like the design too. Can you post pictures of it on the hip? I'm just curious to see what the set up is like...

Thanks!

Thanks Nick! Here are links to another posts on GT that have photos of GT members wearing our hoslter, alone with some reviews:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17602479&postcount=97
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17570242&postcount=56
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328122&page=3