IL may be forced to accept carrying of weapons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IL may be forced to accept carrying of weapons

WarCry
07-08-2011, 19:48
Busy week in the state of Illinois for gun owners....

Things kicked off with a Federal court ruling in Ezell v. Chicago (http://joshblackman.com/blog/?p=7500), stating that Chicago WAY overstepped their bounds in the new law that said you HAD to have range training, but couldn't have a range in Chicago.

Building on the 7th Circuit in the above case saying that any violations on the 2nd Amendment rights cause irreparable damage, the Second Amendment Foundation on Thursday filed for a preliminary injunction (http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=365) in the US Court for the Central District in IL that, if approved, would bar IL LEO from enforcing the band on carrying weapons by any legal, FOID-holding member of the public. Open, Concealed, training, none, it doesn't matter.

NRA thought this sounded like a good idea, so today (Friday), in the US Court for the SOUTHERN District of IL, they also filed a request for injunction (http://isra.org/files/shepard/PI_Memorandum_FINAL.PDF) asking for the same thing.

Rep Brandon Phelps, D-Harrisburg, told his colleagues in the IL House if they didn't pass CCW law - one burdened with limits and restrictions already - then it would be decided in the courts, and the courts wouldn't offer to negotiate the details like he had.

Seems Mr. Phelps is a pretty smart guy....

bowbender7
07-08-2011, 20:07
IL needs an overhaul. I left there and I'm a good bullet buying, tax paying citizen.

Take that Land of Lincoln! :tongueout:

hddave
07-08-2011, 20:09
I'm still trying to get the hell out of here!

Fox
07-09-2011, 07:57
If I had my way, Chicago city hall would be hit with RICO violations.

Paul7
07-09-2011, 08:47
I'm still trying to get the hell out of here!

Do it, I'm very glad I left. I grew up just north of you in Wheaton. If you can't defend yourself, you're not really a free person.

eracer
07-09-2011, 08:55
I brought my 4" folding knife (which is legal in Florida) and can't carry it, because the law here in IL says 3" max.

I've been in WI most of the time, but am spending the day in IL. What a stupid state. In WI I can carry my knife (except in Milwaukee, where the 3" limit applies.)

Stupid, stupid, nannies.

Badpuppy6942
07-09-2011, 09:51
I grew up in Naperville and got out as well...

DOrth
07-09-2011, 11:06
I brought my 4" folding knife (which is legal in Florida) and can't carry it, because the law here in IL says 3" max.

I've been in WI most of the time, but am spending the day in IL. What a stupid state. In WI I can carry my knife (except in Milwaukee, where the 3" limit applies.)

Stupid, stupid, nannies.

I let my money speak for me (and let the local chamber of commerce know why I do not travel to their area to spend my money). What a bunch of dim wits, do they really think that a knife with a 3" blade is any less "dangerous" or less of a threat than a 4" blade?

Given the OP's info, I'd say the people of Illinois would be better off if the dim wits in the legislature didn't pass anything, sounds like they'd soon have some of the most lenient carry laws in the US. If I'm missing something, someone tell me.

PS: Do the police up there actually stop anybody they see with a folding knife clipped in their pocket and measure the blade length? Sounds like one of those laws they enforce when they have another reason to have contact with somebody who they believe is up to no good, but can't prove it.

Nutt51
07-10-2011, 12:20
The New Mayor, Old Rahm Boy will surely help.

His new Chicago motto, "TRUST ME".

mrsurfboard
07-10-2011, 13:38
They could always make it like NJ. A may issue state, then just refuse to issue to anyone unless you well connected politically.

BobbyT
07-10-2011, 13:55
They could always make it like NJ. A may issue state, then just refuse to issue to anyone unless you well connected politically.

No need for that--they've already exempted themselves. The only non-cops who can carry in IL are Da Mare, the city aldermen (about 1/3 of whom end up jailed for felonies, historically), and other Chicago Machine politicians.

Some are more equal than others.

Billua
07-10-2011, 16:17
I grew up north of Rockford, attended college at SIU-C, then got the hell out...

NV is much more gun friendly :)

Tebow
07-10-2011, 16:41
PS: Do the police up there actually stop anybody they see with a folding knife clipped in their pocket and measure the blade length?

I live right in northwest indiana, basically 10 mins from illinois. Whenever I'm there I always have a spyderco on me. I've been going in & out of Illinois for the past 6 years and I've never been stopped or asked.

I hope they allow CC, because I feel naked going there without my handgun.

WarCry
07-10-2011, 19:00
Given the OP's info, I'd say the people of Illinois would be better off if the dim wits in the legislature didn't pass anything, sounds like they'd soon have some of the most lenient carry laws in the US. If I'm missing something, someone tell me.

Pretty close. If they issue the injunction(s), it will basically mean all you need to carry (as an IL citizen) would be a FOID card. While some folks are bent outta shape over the FOID, it's $1 freakin' dollar a year, and that's what the state uses to pay for running the background checks to make sure you're not a crazy person.

I can't really answer - and I'd wager neither can anyone else at this point - what affect this would have on out-of-staters.