Ky-Tac still around? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ky-Tac still around?

dogcaller
07-08-2011, 23:11
I love the Ky-tac Braveheart and want to buy another one. Their website has always sucked but now half the links are bad and I can't get a return email (He never was the chop-chop customer service first type). Anyone know if he's still around?

Thanks!

dosei
07-09-2011, 07:46
The last few I purchased were bought through firearmsprostore.com. At the time (last year) they were a stocking dealer of the KyTac Braveheart (best holster period...IMHO). But they, like everyone else that tried to carry KyTac gear, have since decided that it just isn't worth the trouble. The "new" KyTac website has remained unchanged (and incomplete) for several years now.

http://www.kytac.net

Good luck finding any. I have yet to find any holster that is better (or even equal) to the Braveheart...and I've tried many.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-09-2011, 10:32
Looks like one could be DIY'd with a sheet of kydex, heat gun and some hardware. Worth a shot anyway if you really like that design.

dosei
07-09-2011, 11:02
Have you tried calling. That was the only method I ever had any success with back when I ordered a Braveheart direct from him.

Here is the info the BBB has on KyTac:
http://www.bbb.org/oklahoma-city/business-reviews/guns-and-gunsmiths/kytac-in-edmond-ok-90002441
I don't know if the phone number they have on record is still good, but it would be worth a try.

dosei
07-09-2011, 20:33
Looks like one could be DIY'd with a sheet of kydex, heat gun and some hardware. Worth a shot anyway if you really like that design.

...and a VM2 could be DIY'd with a piece of leather, a pair of kitchen shears, and some twine...

Your mindset is the problem with the vast majority of kydex holsters being made today...which is why finding a holster that is even a tolerable substitute for the Braveheart is so dang difficult for those of use that have used them. I'd take a Braveheart over a VM2...it's THAT good of a holster, IMHO. But alas, artisan level craftsmanship in a kydex holster is something that as best as I can tell is dead & gone. My next holster will most likely be leather, providing there are still some good ones being made when I need to get another. (At the moment, Rocky at Pure Kustom is a strong contender for my money when I finally have to get another holster. Hopefully Rocky will still be in business and still putting out the caliber craftsmanship he currently is. I have yet to find any kydex holster maker that has the same attention to detail as David Elderton at KyTac or the small handful of leather holster artisans.)

seanmac45
07-09-2011, 21:10
That's a shame; I have a Braveheart for a 4" 1911 and one of his mag pouches.

As has been previously stated in this thread his designs and workmanship were the best I have seen in Kydex.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-09-2011, 21:29
...and a VM2 could be DIY'd with a piece of leather, a pair of kitchen shears, and some twine...

Your mindset is the problem with the vast majority of kydex holsters being made today...which is why finding a holster that is even a tolerable substitute for the Braveheart is so dang difficult for those of use that have used them. I'd take a Braveheart over a VM2...it's THAT good of a holster, IMHO. But alas, artisan level craftsmanship in a kydex holster is something that as best as I can tell is dead & gone. My next holster will most likely be leather, providing there are still some good ones being made when I need to get another. (At the moment, Rocky at Pure Kustom is a strong contender for my money when I finally have to get another holster. Hopefully Rocky will still be in business and still putting out the caliber craftsmanship he currently is. I have yet to find any kydex holster maker that has the same attention to detail as David Elderton at KyTac or the small handful of leather holster artisans.)

Unwad your panties, my suggestion was to try making one if you couldn't find a replacement. Sheesh

dosei
07-10-2011, 13:53
dogcaller,
If you are finally able to get through to David, please post back here to let us know what you learn.

Thanks!

saddlebum
07-10-2011, 18:43
he is still in business ,but probably the worst businessman in the history of the world. he makes a great holster ,but doesn't respond to customers well and quotes lead times he regularly misses by months.
he answers his phone when he wants ,he builds holsters when he feels like it and he takes your money up front.

saddlebum
07-10-2011, 18:45
one more thing you might try heartland outdoors in edmond oklahoma, he hangs out there

Palouse
07-11-2011, 15:26
Anybody have a photo of one?

JD HHI 6092
07-11-2011, 18:01
he is still in business ,but probably the worst businessman in the history of the world. he makes a great holster ,but doesn't respond to customers well and quotes lead times he regularly misses by months.
he answers his phone when he wants ,he builds holsters when he feels like it and he takes your money up front.

That is putting it mildly. I ordered a holster from him that he said he had in stock. I paid and waited a few months to get it.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-12-2011, 00:06
Anybody have a photo of one?
http://www.boomershooter.com/upload/images/67857300087584179985.jpg

Palouse
07-12-2011, 08:53
Thanks! :thumbsup:

dkf
07-12-2011, 15:10
Like the design of the holster. Wouldn't mind having one for my Glocks.

dogcaller
07-14-2011, 00:11
Thanks for the contact info. I'll call and see what info I can get. He has not responded to email.

K1500
07-16-2011, 11:35
It looks like a Comp-Tac infidel with shirt tucker strut would be a close substitute. Custom made, high quality, and super customer service.

dosei
07-16-2011, 11:55
It looks like a Comp-Tac infidel with shirt tucker strut would be a close substitute. Custom made, high quality, and super customer service.

...and less comfortable. I've also tried the Phantom from Raven Concealment with the same results, a less comfortable IWB rig than the Braveheart.

I've tried several, and nothing else has ever matched the Braveheart for comfort/concealment/function. In my book the Braveheart rates an A+ for concealment & function, and an A for comfort. The Comp-Tac and RC Phantom (when carried IWB) get a C on comfort. (When carried OWB, the RC Phantom is a solid A on comfort.)

dogcaller
07-20-2011, 13:15

I thought the same thing once. In fact, I figured I'd give the then-new Infidel a trial considering that it was so similar (blatant rip-off?), and because Comp-Tac has great cust. svc. So I ordered one, tried it, and sent it back. Wasn't even close. Really. So we suffer with the customer service issue. I called his number today and left a VM message.

The hard part is the holster I'm trying to order is for my brother, who finally came around to going IWB. But now I've got to tell him to send his money and wait for--how long?

dogcaller
07-20-2011, 13:23
one more thing you might try heartland outdoors in edmond oklahoma, he hangs out there

That'd be a bit of a drive for me... :whistling:

dosei
07-22-2011, 15:06
The hard part is the holster I'm trying to order is for my brother, who finally came around to going IWB. But now I've got to tell him to send his money and wait for--how long?

...for what Make/Model gun?

saddlebum
07-30-2011, 08:18
That'd be a bit of a drive for me... :whistling:
they have a phone

Gary1911A1
07-30-2011, 08:46
...and less comfortable. I've also tried the Phantom from Raven Concealment with the same results, a less comfortable IWB rig than the Braveheart.

I've tried several, and nothing else has ever matched the Braveheart for comfort/concealment/function. In my book the Braveheart rates an A+ for concealment & function, and an A for comfort. The Comp-Tac and RC Phantom (when carried IWB) get a C on comfort. (When carried OWB, the RC Phantom is a solid A on comfort.)

I agree with your assessment of the Braveheart. Best IWB I have ever tried. Wish he'd hire some help, closely supervise them and check each one before they go out to ensure people get their holsters in a more reasonable time without loss of quality.

thebriarman
04-03-2012, 20:46
Dave, at Ky-Tac, makes an outstanding, field/competition proven product. Worth the wait and frustration. I own the Super Hoopers for my M&P Pro, my standard M&P, my M&P .45. I own a 3" SH and a Braveheart for my Colt Defender .45 The Braveheart is amazing, true to description. I've had the VMII's and other IWB kydex and leather and the Braveheart is far and away my favorite. Read his site...his descriptions are accurate and you won't be disappointed. That's why the Pros use 'em! You might also try http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/pd2107685
TDS stocks several of Dave's holsters and they're available now!

seanmac45
04-04-2012, 06:29
Thanks for the lead. Although I have never heard of the company I took a leap of faith and placed an order for a 1911 braveheart.

I'll let you know if it actually comes through

4Rules
04-04-2012, 19:36
Check out Kolbeson.
<http://www.kolbesonleatherworks.com/>

At present, he claims a delivery time of only six weeks.

dosei
04-05-2012, 18:22
Check out Kolbeson.
<http://www.kolbesonleatherworks.com/>

At present, he claims a delivery time of only six weeks.

I have, falls well short of the Ky-Tac Braveheart.

seanmac45
04-09-2012, 10:13
Leap of faith rewarded!

My new Braveheart for a 5" 1911 was just delivered. Exactly the same as my previous Braveheart. Delivery was five days including a weekend.

Just thought interested parties would like to know.

Sean

dogcaller
05-09-2012, 21:37
Leap of faith rewarded!

My new Braveheart for a 5" 1911 was just delivered. Exactly the same as my previous Braveheart. Delivery was five days including a weekend.

Just thought interested parties would like to know.

Sean

Good to know and good for you. Ended up advising him to get the Crossbreed Supertuck and he's happy enough with it. He just doesn't know what he's missing.