Alessi CQC/S [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alessi CQC/S

nickcarr
07-09-2011, 00:11
Hey all, I just learned of this myself but it looks like Brownells has a large selection of Alessi CQC/S in Black, Right hand holsters in stock. They even made a YouTube video in June showing them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqhmt7fwOec

I owned one for an ex-HK USP Compact and it was a super comfortable and functional holster.

I've already ordered one for my Glock 31 and it'll be here Monday. If you haven't tried one of these, then I highly recommend one. It's great for CCW.

I'll post pictures next week.

Aeroscoper
07-09-2011, 10:22
I've owned one for a g33 for years and always wondered how it'd do with my g31, please provide feedback on how it carries with yours if you can, thx for the heads up!

rta108
07-09-2011, 12:11
The CQC/S pales in comparison to the Mitch Rosen Premier, also available from brownells and less expensive.

BuckyP
07-09-2011, 14:41
The CQC/S pales in comparison to the Mitch Rosen Premier, also available from brownells and less expensive.

While I don't have a CQC-S yet, I have a couple Premiers. The premier is a different holster in that the front loop is offset. I find this allows the front of the gun to stick out too far when carrying at the 3:00... for me. It would appear the CQC-S does not do this.

The best I can compare it to would be the 5JR and 5JR-President. The Pres model is offset like the Premier. The basic 5JR works much better for me, and it how I see the CQC-S.

Best I can show this offset (below). The rear is the offset I describe in the 5JR President. This design allows all the pull to come from the back. I would assume this would work well in the 4:00 - 4:30 position, where the front is better hidden by the natural curve of the body. The standard 5JR pulls equally in the front and the back.

http://www.pollardfamily.net/al/5jr5jrpresident.jpg

nickcarr
07-09-2011, 16:14

While I haven't tried any MR holsters, I prefer the reinforced lining around the mouth of the holster. Also, the "less expensive" version isn't nearly as sexy. ;)
You'd have to pay $160 for the full-detail model.

Bodyarmorguy
07-09-2011, 16:28
I received a CQC/S for a Glock 17/22 et al as a gift a few months back, while an IWB is my preference, I have worn the CQC/S on several occasions and have found it comfortable and conceals well.

Rinspeed
07-09-2011, 16:33
The CQC/S pales in comparison to the Mitch Rosen Premier,

:rofl: :rofl:

AGAF
07-09-2011, 20:17
When I get my 4" 1911, this will be the holster that I carry it in.....looking forward to it!!!!

pens-66
07-10-2011, 04:10
I am very picky when it comes to OWB as far as I am anal about printing. I have gone thru many holster trying to find one that puts me at ease. The Alessi CQC/S works great!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/b0d12f54.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/73fe6978.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff263/pens-66/da63815c.jpg

Aeroscoper
07-10-2011, 13:35

I had a MR premier and tried it for a few months. Wasn't happy with the quality of leather or workmanship so sold it. Glad you like yours though.

BuckyP
07-10-2011, 13:38
I had a MR premier and tried it for a few months. Wasn't happy with the quality of leather or workmanship so sold it. Glad you like yours though.

Was this an "Express Line" model? Big difference in quality between the Express and standard Mitch Rosen holsters.

Aeroscoper
07-10-2011, 17:13
I believe it was and I'm sure what you say is correct.

up1911fan
07-10-2011, 18:44
Great holster for sure.

rta108
07-12-2011, 19:32
I realize arguing holsters is like arguing blondes vs brunettes....

While I don't have a CQC-S yet, I have a couple Premiers. The premier is a different holster in that the front loop is offset. I find this allows the front of the gun to stick out too far when carrying at the 3:00... for me. It would appear the CQC-S does not do this.

The best I can compare it to would be the 5JR and 5JR-President. The Pres model is offset like the Premier. The basic 5JR works much better for me, and it how I see the CQC-S.

Best I can show this offset (below). The rear is the offset I describe in the 5JR President. This design allows all the pull to come from the back. I would assume this would work well in the 4:00 - 4:30 position, where the front is better hidden by the natural curve of the body. The standard 5JR pulls equally in the front and the back.

The offset construction is what makes this holster for me, personally. Belt tension does not affect draw resistance, and the holster stays open after the gun is out. I need this feature (LE).

The leather on my Alessi was so soft, i could close the opening and almost roll the holster into a loop. No lie. The rosen is the stiffest leather i've ever seen. Did I get a dud? I bought it from brownells.

While I haven't tried any MR holsters, I prefer the reinforced lining around the mouth of the holster. Also, the "less expensive" version isn't nearly as sexy. ;)
You'd have to pay $160 for the full-detail model.

Appearance is personal preference. However, you could triple layer reinforce the alessi and the rosen would still be stiffer. It's just the difference in the leather materials.

As far as i know, the express is the same as the "standard" detailed line, minus the detailing. The molding is still very good, retention excellent. The gun actually "pops" in when it seats all the way. Never seen a holster do that before.

just my 2 cents, gents. Based on one CQC/S i got from brownells.

rta108
07-12-2011, 19:35
BuckyP, excellent description of the construction differences, BTW. Something for a prospective shopper to consider.

Shadyscott69
07-12-2011, 19:50

Apples to oranges. Both are great holsters that are designed to do different things.

I make holsters that are very similar to both. I actually talked with Lou about the CQC/S and it became (with a few changes) my Paladin.

The Rosen is a classic belt scabbard/pancake design with Mitch's own touches. The Rosen(and my scabbard) suck if your day requires you to remove your weapon frequently.

rta108
07-12-2011, 19:56
The Rosen is a classic belt scabbard/pancake design with Mitch's own touches. The Rosen(and my scabbard) suck if your day requires you to remove your weapon frequently.

I don't understand. The Rosen model we are discussing has snap loops as well, The Premier. He used pictures of Rosen's scabbard model, of similar construction, as an example.

Shadyscott69
07-12-2011, 19:59
I don't understand. The Rosen model we are discussing has snap loops as well, The Premier. He used pictures of Rosen's scabbard model, of similar construction, as an example.

Ohhhhhhhh. I missed that part. Sorry.

In that case, this is only my opinion, the Alessi is far superior to the Rosen design.

nickcarr
07-12-2011, 21:10
I make holsters that are very similar to both. I actually talked with Lou about the CQC/S and it became (with a few changes) my Paladin.

The only nitpick about the CQC/S is that I would like to have my holsters cover up the magazine release, but I understand this can be sort of a pain with certain designs, especially with leather holsters. I still don't understand why most kydex holsters leave it exposed.

So I received my CQC/S on Monday and it's (of course) perfect in quality. As with all leather holsters (I've used) it has to go thru its initial break-in period. The included plastic bag is a bit on the thin side, so I'm using an old Milt Sparks plastic bag which is quite a bit thicker. After 2-3 days, it'll be perfect.

I'll post a couple of pictures in the next few days.

up1911fan
07-13-2011, 14:03
I see no reason to have the mag release covered. If I bump or lean against something, my mag won't drop loose. If the release were covered and the same thing happened, the backside of the holster my activate the release.

Shadyscott69
07-16-2011, 16:52
The only nitpick about the CQC/S is that I would like to have my holsters cover up the magazine release, but I understand this can be sort of a pain with certain designs, especially with leather holsters. I still don't understand why most kydex holsters leave it exposed.

So I received my CQC/S on Monday and it's (of course) perfect in quality. As with all leather holsters (I've used) it has to go thru its initial break-in period. The included plastic bag is a bit on the thin side, so I'm using an old Milt Sparks plastic bag which is quite a bit thicker. After 2-3 days, it'll be perfect.

I see no reason to have the mag release covered. If I bump or lean against something, my mag won't drop loose. If the release were covered and the same thing happened, the backside of the holster my activate the release.

Nick,

I tend to agree with 1911fan regarding covering a mag release. That being said, it would be very easy to accommodate someone who wanted it covered.

pens-66
07-17-2011, 04:54

SO how is it working for you so far? How rigid is yours? I love the CQC/S for OWB but my only beef with mine is,as said by a few,that the leather is kinda soft and it tends to close up on the draw. I'd like to hear from a few that have a definate " Made by Lou " older model and see how theirs compare.

Rinspeed
07-17-2011, 06:50
I'd like to hear from a few that have a definate " Made by Lou " older model and see how theirs compare.

Mine was made by Lou and not any hint of this. I always thought it had a metal band sewn in to prevent collapsing.

Shadyscott69
07-17-2011, 08:33
SO how is it working for you so far? How rigid is yours? I love the CQC/S for OWB but my only beef with mine is,as said by a few,that the leather is kinda soft and it tends to close up on the draw. I'd like to hear from a few that have a definate " Made by Lou " older model and see how theirs compare.

I have one made by Lou and it doesn't close. I would love to see a picture of yours. It shouldn't close at all. The ones I make don't.

pens-66
07-17-2011, 09:18
I have one made by Lou and it doesn't close. I would love to see a picture of yours. It shouldn't close at all. The ones I make don't.

Its the one I posted in this thread (post #9). If you PM me your email address I can take a small video on my phone and send it to you to show you what I mean.

Rinspeed
07-17-2011, 09:41
Have you contacted Alessi and told them of your concerns Dave. Lou built that business around the very best customer service and I'm certain their goal is to carry on with it.

Shadyscott69
07-17-2011, 10:02
Its the one I posted in this thread (post #9). If you PM me your email address I can take a small video on my phone and send it to you to show you what I mean.

PM Sent.

I just got home and pulled my Alessi out and compared it to one of mine. I actually is significantly softer. The Alessi does close somewhat when the gun is removed, but not completely. Mine (Seth's) doesn't close at all.

The only significant differences between mine and Lou's are.

1. I added a sweat guard

2. Trim band is a little different

3. I changed the sight channel placement to center on the slide as opposed to Lou's being more to the rear of the slide. This pulls the gun in closer and tighter to your side. (Shown in the last pic.)

4. I use a much higher grade of leather.

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/IMAG0023.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/IMAG0024.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu106/shadyscott999/IMAG0025.jpg

Shadyscott69
07-17-2011, 10:04
Have you contacted Alessi and told them of your concerns Dave. Lou built that business around the very best customer service and I'm certain their goal is to carry on with it.

You are correct. I am sure they will swap it out for you.

pens-66
07-17-2011, 10:37
You are correct. I am sure they will swap it out for you.

I guess I can email them and ask.

mikegun
07-17-2011, 20:27
No offense to SETH who obviously makes a fine holster, but i have always thought ALESSI had some of the best boning on his holsters, the new ALESSi holsters do not compare to the ones that LOU made, in any way...IMHO

nickcarr
07-17-2011, 20:47

I have no idea what you're talking about. My old CQC/S and the new CQC/S do no exhibit this symptom. I just wore mine today for the first time and it's not "soft" in any way.

Now if you're referring to the "stiffness" of the leather, it's not as stiff as say my Milt Sparks SS2. (That is one stiff holster!) The SS2 uses a metal band inside leather for its reinforced mouth -- the CQC/S just uses an extra piece of leather. In either case, my new CQC/S does not "close up" upon draw.

Did you pre-fit the holster to your pistol? e.g. using a plastic bag

I think if you pre-fit the holster then (after some time) it will get use to the extended shape and won't exhibit this close symptom. If the CQC/S had a metal band then it probably would be a lot stiffer and easier to shape. In some cases, you may need to use two plastic bags to get the extra shape you need. (It just depends on how tight of a fit you prefer.)

BuckyP
07-18-2011, 05:32
Now if you're referring to the "stiffness" of the leather, it's not as stiff as say my Milt Sparks SS2. (That is one stiff holster!) The SS2 uses a metal band inside leather for its reinforced mouth -- the CQC/S just uses an extra piece of leather. In either case, my new CQC/S does not "close up" upon draw.

Yes, but comparing and IWB to an OWB is apples to oranges. The IWB has the belt and your body trying to close the holster mouth and warrants a steel band. I can't see a need for a steel reinforced opening on an OWB. :dunno:

Shadyscott69
07-18-2011, 12:05
No offense to SETH who obviously makes a fine holster, but i have always thought ALESSI had some of the best boning on his holsters, the new ALESSi holsters do not compare to the ones that LOU made, in any way...IMHO

No offense at all taken. I agree Lou's holsters were probably a bit better than what they are producing today but not by much. Boning is pretty much a toss up between most of today's makers. That is unless you look at at Matt Delfatti's stuff. Matt is incredible. He has that luxury though. When you are running YEARS behind and get his prices, you can afford to go slow. They guy is a true artist in leather.

Delfatti...

http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/5.JPG

http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/201.JPG

http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/216.jpg

http://www.delfatti.com/photos/photos/30.JPG

His work makes me drool.

pens-66
07-18-2011, 12:14
Well I talked to Tom at Alessi today. He said that what I'm describing does not sound normal. He said they did get a bad batch of leather awhile back and they seem to get soft. So he said send it in and he would check it out. If it's bad he will send me a brand new one. Really nice guy he was! So we'll see what happens.

Shadyscott69
07-18-2011, 12:30
Well I talked to Tom at Alessi today. He said that what I'm describing does not sound normal. He said they did get a bad batch of leather awhile back and they seem to get soft. So he said send it in and he would check it out. If it's bad he will send me a brand new one. Really nice guy he was! So we'll see what happens.

I thought they would help you out. They are good folks.

AGAF
07-18-2011, 12:35
Seth,

In a previous post, were you saying that your design actually holds the pistol a little closer to the body than the Alessi CQC-S? The reason I ask is because I too have heard that the Alessi model uses a little softer leather which seems like it would make it a little more pliable than some other holster leathers. To me, that would be a good thing. I have a small waist and need a leather to "bend" around the curviture of my waist at 3:00 carry. I've tried some other OWB leather holsters that were so stiff, there was no bend in them at all and completely defeated the pupose of the design in my opinion. How would you rate your product to accomplish what I just described? If I'm going to spend that much on a holster, I want to get it right!

Thanks

Shadyscott69
07-18-2011, 13:02
Seth,

In a previous post, were you saying that your design actually holds the pistol a little closer to the body than the Alessi CQC-S? The reason I ask is because I too have heard that the Alessi model uses a little softer leather which seems like it would make it a little more pliable than some other holster leathers. To me, that would be a good thing. I have a small waist and need a leather to "bend" around the curviture of my waist at 3:00 carry. I've tried some other OWB leather holsters that were so stiff, there was no bend in them at all and completely defeated the pupose of the design in my opinion. How would you rate your product to accomplish what I just described? If I'm going to spend that much on a holster, I want to get it right!

Thanks

The difference in mine and the Alessi is that I moved the centerline of the holster to the center of the slide. The Alessi has more of the outer section of the holster protruding away from the body. It is hard to explain. That is why mine has a body guard and the Alessi doesn't really need one.

As far as conforming to the body, they are exactly the same. The belt loop "ears" are what wraps your hip. Hope that helps.

AGAF
07-18-2011, 14:39
The difference in mine and the Alessi is that I moved the centerline of the holster to the center of the slide. The Alessi has more of the outer section of the holster protruding away from the body. It is hard to explain. That is why mine has a body guard and the Alessi doesn't really need one.

As far as conforming to the body, they are exactly the same. The belt loop "ears" are what wraps your hip. Hope that helps.

I guess I'm just not visualizing it. Which one is going to pull the grip & butt of the gun in closer to the body by way of design? I know it may be hard to be objective in your response in seeing that I am considering one of your competitor's products!!!!! Looking forward to you convincing me otherwise!

Shadyscott69
07-18-2011, 14:53
I guess I'm just not visualizing it. Which one is going to pull the grip & butt of the gun in closer to the body by way of design? I know it may be hard to be objective in your response in seeing that I am considering one of your competitor's products!!!!! Looking forward to you convincing me otherwise!

Mine will. That is why I modified the basic concept of the CQC/S.

In belly button terms, the CQC/S is an outtie. My Paladin in an innie. :supergrin:

AGAF
07-18-2011, 15:09

In belly button terms, the CQC/S is an outtie. My Paladin in an innie. :supergrin:

PM sent.....

pens-66
07-18-2011, 18:14

Well all I can say is that so far the Alessi CQC/S is the most concealable OWB I have tried so if yours is even better I think you have me sold :supergrin:

pens-66
07-25-2011, 06:16
Had a friend tell me he had a new, made by "LOU",Alessi CQC/s that he has never used....guess who has it now:whistling: what a difference!!! Stays open,leather is nice and stiff... no worries about this one closing up. Hopefully I will hear something soon about the one I sent back... Confirmation number shows they have it.

rta108
09-05-2011, 17:39
Any news on this pens?

pens-66
09-05-2011, 17:46
Any news on this pens?

Yes actually. I received the replacement holster finally last Monday. Let's just say that it was my first time dealing directly with Alessi and it will be my last. Customer service is poor and though the new holster is nice,it's still no where near the quality of my "Lou" made CQC/s. So I sold the new one off already at a good discount and will stick with my original one.

pens-66
09-05-2011, 17:52
It's kinda funny. I was disappointed the minute I opened the box and my wife said "what's wrong?". Her not knowing anything about holsters, I handed her the new one along with my original and asked her to give me her comparison. She fondles both for a few minutes and says " the best way I can describe these is that the original is like a Macy's and the new one is like a Walmart". :whistling:

Shadyscott69
09-05-2011, 17:56
Yes actually. I received the replacement holster finally last Monday. Let's just say that it was my first time dealing directly with Alessi and it will be my last. Customer service is poor and though the new holster is nice,it's still no where near the quality of my "Lou" made CQC/s. So I sold the new one off already at a good discount and will stick with my original one.

Sorry to hear that Pens. I don't have any experience with Alessi since Lou passed.

LT642
09-05-2011, 18:07
I have two Alessi Talons, one made by Lou the other by Tom. The holster made by Tom doesn't even come close to the holster Lou made.

I have read several great reviews on the holsters that Ritchie Holster is putting out, they are supposed to be on par with the work of Lou.
I think the quick turn around Alessi is offering and the fact that they seem to be mass producing holsters is telling of their QC, or lack thereof.

pens-66
09-05-2011, 18:21
Sorry to hear that Pens. I don't have any experience with Alessi since Lou passed.

Hey thanks... I'm just lucky I got a original Lou made holster. At least there are plenty of talented leathercrafters out there that make some beautiful holsters and give us plenty of choices.

Shadyscott69
09-05-2011, 18:26
I have two Alessi Talons, one made by Lou the other by Tom. The holster made by Tom doesn't even come close to the holster Lou made.

I have read several great reviews on the holsters that Ritchie Holster is putting out, they are supposed to be on par with the work of Lou.
I think the quick turn around Alessi is offering and the fact that they seem to be mass producing holsters is telling of their QC, or lack thereof.

You may be onto something there. You can only go so fast and still do things the way they need to be done. Once you progress to a clicker press and vacuum assisted boning, the next step is to become Galco. Not that there is anything wrong with Galco if that is your thing, but they aren't even in the same universe with custom handmade holsters.

Shadyscott69
09-05-2011, 18:28
Hey thanks... I'm just lucky I got a original Lou made holster. At least there are plenty of talented leathercrafters out there that make some beautiful holsters and give us plenty of choices.

Holsters actually made by Lou fetch a pretty penny if you ever wanted to sell it. I have had several people try to buy mine for several times what I paid for it.

up1911fan
09-05-2011, 20:42
Lou's holsters were great. I wouldn't deal with the new guy's. I really like Skip Ritchie's work ( he worked for Lou). I recently had a problem with one of his holsters I bought second hand on the classified's here. Let Skip know about it, including that I bought it used, he said send it in. Less than a week later I had a brand new holster show up in the mail. Skip's work is much better than what Alessi is putting out since Lou's passing.

rta108
09-06-2011, 05:16
Sorry to hear my experience wasn't unique.

mikegun
09-07-2011, 22:53
SETH< Your website looks great, trrrific photos and holsters...

Shadyscott69
09-08-2011, 10:11
SETH< Your website looks great, trrrific photos and holsters...

Thanks Mike.

Pistol Pedro
02-26-2012, 11:30

WRONG...

The Premier I tried was promptly returned for a refund. Not even close to my Lou made CQC/S. The Premire had too much cant causing the rear of the slide to point out underneath my shirt in a very obvious manner. It didn't pull as tight to the body either. The Premier did have good retention but that is the only good thing I can say about it.

I have two Lou made CQC/S's, one for my G19 and one for my G26. I waited over 10 months to receive them when I placed the order. It's a shame to hear of the slide in quality.

I recently recommended this holster to a friend but now it sounds like I should take that recommendation back.