help with understanding fl laws [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : help with understanding fl laws

GuinnessSynd
07-09-2011, 01:08
i just moved to fl from nc and before that va so i am used to very lax carry laws.. however with fl i am having trouble understanding their laws.... i know you cant open carry... and you need a cwp but nothing i have looked up has answered my questions....

1) can i carry in my vehicle without a permit
2) what about restaurants that serve alcohol
3) knife laws... i miss carrying my knives can i only have the legal folder?

thanks for the help and i know that this is kinda broad but im lost:dunno::crying:

vmann
07-09-2011, 07:46
you need to go to your closest court house and get information or look it up online...i wouldnt ask for that kind of info here, you might get some bad info as well as some good info, but you need to protect yourself, and the only way to do that is to seek information from the source that is going to issue you your license....
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/

HeliGlock
07-09-2011, 09:03
Go to your closest Firearms store and buy a copy of the Florida Firearms book. Everything you need to know about Florida law is in there. Hope this helps you. Welcome to Florida too.

Bruce M
07-09-2011, 09:11
This may answer some of your questions and the rest of FSS 790 may also help
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.251.html

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

MrSmoofy
07-09-2011, 09:53
Go to your closest Firearms store and buy a copy of the Florida Firearms book. Everything you need to know about Florida law is in there. Hope this helps you. Welcome to Florida too.

DO THIS! Best money ever spend it will answer all your questions you have now and the ones you didn't know you have.

Dalton Wayne
07-09-2011, 10:15
1. yes
2. yes as long as you stay out of the bar area
3. no you can carry other blades but there is a length limit I think it's 4 inches

hope this helps

MrSmoofy
07-09-2011, 10:17
1. yes
2. yes as long as you stay out of the bar area
3. no you can carry other blades but there is a length limit I think it's 4 inches

hope this helps

1. is Yes but requires rules on how you carry in your car or did that change with this new law?

wrenrj1
07-09-2011, 10:33
www.handgunlaw.us is your friend

hockeyrcks9901
07-09-2011, 10:44
I know there were recently done changes made but I think it only covers accidental display of a concealed weapon.

1) yes, but it must be in a container. A holster, glove box, tupperware, etc. (the law calls this securely encased)
2) you can carry in a restaurant as long as you do not go in the bar area. You can drink if you want (not recommended) but can't be in the area designated for serving alcohol.
3) I'm not sure what the laws are regarding knives but I only have folders. I think that generally any knife is okay...again, I do not know what they law says.

racer88
07-09-2011, 15:17
No... you CANNOT carry in your vehicle without a license. You (without any license) can have a gun IN your car as long as its encased in some sort of container. A glove box works for this. But, you CANNOT have it ON you... unless you have a license to carry concealed.

I agree about getting THE definitive book on Florida Gun Laws: http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

GuinnessSynd
07-09-2011, 23:14
i just wanted to say thanks for all the great info gonna stop at the gun shop near work tomorrow mornin and see if they have the book thanks again

cowboy1964
07-09-2011, 23:34
Knife laws are a PITA to discover. Usually local laws are much more restrictive than the state laws.

Z28ricer
07-10-2011, 00:11
i just moved to fl from nc and before that va so i am used to very lax carry laws.. however with fl i am having trouble understanding their laws.... i know you cant open carry... and you need a cwp but nothing i have looked up has answered my questions....

thanks for the help and i know that this is kinda broad but im lost:dunno::crying:

1. yes, for transport "securely encased OR not ready for use, the law goes further to define securely encased, look it up for the specifics, but basically a latched (doesnt have to be LOCKED) glovebox, a retention holster with something like a snap strap, latched factory box, etc, or not ready for use, being no round in the chamber. Local PD will often give you some BS line about "3 steps" , they obviously have not read the letter of the law, and wouldnt have a foot to stand on if they attempted to charge someone.

2. no you arent allowed if the establishment makes 51% or more of its sales from sale of alcohol, basically places like applebees, chilis, etc you are OK, BUT not allowed to sit in the bar area.

3. I believe there is a blade size limit, without a ccw, just get a ccw, then you are pretty much covered for concealing and carrying any weapon thats legal to own.

fuzzy03cls
07-11-2011, 08:44
Read section 790 as posted above. It's pretty clear cut from the law wordings used what you can & can't do. Best advise is get a FL CWFL. It's pretty easy to obtain one.

John Rambo
07-11-2011, 08:49

Yes. It must be secured in something that renders it inoperable until removed; law says securely encased. Snap holster, glove box, center console, zippered bag. You get the idea. Can be loaded and chambered.

Yes. You may not sit in the part of the restaurant primarily devoted to serving alcohol. You need a CWP to carry, though.

Without a CWP, yes.

Cgrubb1
07-11-2011, 10:46
That's the first time I've heard nc's cc laws called lax. Seems like you can't go anywhere with a gun. No resteraunts that sell alcohol, nowhere that charges admission, no parades...

wrenrj1
07-11-2011, 18:33
Are you carrying under your NC license at this time? May be a gray area or not good if you now have a FL address etc.

I'd suggest going through a CCW course in FL to learn the laws, certainly wouldn't hurt and may be required.

Donn57
07-11-2011, 22:29
To describe Florida knife laws as vague would be kind. They simply don't directly address most questions people would have. A strict reading of the statutes would indicate that it is illegal to carry any knife concealed other than a "common pocket knife". Unfortunately, the statutes do not define what a common pocket knife is, so carry an assisted-opening tactical folder at your own risk.

As noted above, the best idea is to just get a Florida CCW and you can carry just about anything that would be considered a weapon.

fuzzy03cls
07-12-2011, 07:42
Knife laws are a PITA to discover. Usually local laws are much more restrictive than the state laws.
Fl just passed a preemption law. Goes into effect in Oct. No local city or county can supersede state laws with their own.

barstoolguru
07-12-2011, 08:27
i just wanted to say thanks for all the great info gonna stop at the gun shop near work tomorrow mornin and see if they have the book thanks again

get this book and you will not be disappointed. Itís the best 29.00 you will ever spend. It will give you a breakdown of all states in simple terms that you can understand without a law degree

http://www.gunlaws.com/SelfDefenseLawsOfAll50States.htm