Carry options for my wife? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry options for my wife?

bogey3737
07-09-2011, 17:03
Wife finally decided to get her CHL and will be toting a P229 9mm. Her intent (for now) is to carry when traveling vs. day-to-day. She does not want a holster on the entire time but wants to take the pistol with her to restrooms / gas stations when she gets out of the car. Needs to be easy on / off, and I want something that will be on her person vs. a purse / bag. Open carry is not an option. I'm thinking a fanny-pack might be the best choice. Any suggestions on brand or any other methods that might work?

I'll ask that folks hold off on the comments about the need to carry all the time and just focus on the question at hand. Thanks!

BailRecoveryAgent
07-09-2011, 17:29
Purse carry or fanny pack is about the only thing I can think of for all those stipulations. Maybe a smaller gun in the future and pocket carry?

alba666
07-09-2011, 20:46
I have the pocket holster for my G23.
This is the purse holster.
http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_8

ventura
07-09-2011, 21:04
A paddle holster or an IWB with clip are very easy on and off options.

BK63
07-10-2011, 07:21
I would say some kind of tear away fanny pack as women don't tend to draw much attention as a man would wearing one of those. I would not have her carry it in a purse for obvious reasons. If a BG grabs the purse, he also has the gun now. That or pocket carry.

Darkangel1846
07-10-2011, 08:11
A paddle holster or an IWB with clip are very easy on and off options.

Best choice followed by fanny pack(remember she will have to train a lot with a fanny pack)If you watch old reruns of "The X Files" Scully is small women but is able to pack a medium sized handgun with a paddle holster. If you do net search you'll find many paddle bolsters foe women.

bogey3737
07-10-2011, 10:02
Tried her on the J-Frames (640 and 60) as well as the G19 / 26. She did not like the recoil in any of them. Her house gun has been a 5" L-Frame w/ 38 +P's, but that is just not practical for carry. She liked the Sig and shot it well...so that's what we've got to work with.

Paddle holster might be feasible...but it would require a large overshirt / jacket, which isn't always practical.

dregotglock
07-10-2011, 10:32
one of the stated needs is to carry into a restroom on travel and that sort of thing.

paddle holsters may work getting to the restroom but then she has to be concerned about what she is going to do with it while in there - guys we can stand, ladies it takes a little more thought and sometimes balance (from what the mrs explains anyway...)

I bring this up because those who do not carry daily make that choice for a reason. In my experience the easier it is for them to carry they will carry more often. Fanny packs or a purse specific to ccw's, which she can use to carry things she needs already, would be just 1 thing she has to grab while getting out. Compared to a purse and then something else.

Again this only applies IMHO because she is not going to be a "daily carry" chl holder- vs daily carry people, who make choices understanding the consequence to what is comfortable and or convenient. This may also then lead to her carrying because its in her purse already (purse carry vs fanny pack - most of the females I know ,who did not initially daily carry, preferred to carry do so in a purse for ease and convenience)... then it may become daily carry. Win Wins are always good.

Bren
07-10-2011, 10:37
She does not want a holster on the entire time but wants to take the pistol with her to restrooms / gas stations when she gets out of the car. Needs to be easy on / off, and I want something that will be on her person vs. a purse / bag.

Unfortunately, the purse/bag option is the most practical - either a gun purse or a good leather one that goes across her body would be perfect and would encourage her to carry a gun. Insisting on your "man-carry" gun on your belt version just means the gun will go in the glove compartment, and won't be handy if she needs it.

Something like this:
http://weaponhideout.com/images/7086_Concealment_Purse_-_Brown.jpg

with the strap diagonal across her body, would be more secure than a paddle holster and she could put it on and take it off without attracting attention and she wouldn't have to dress around it. It's not practially different than this, which I carried daily in Afghanistan without the useless chest strap (just one strap, bandolier style, so I could put it on and take it off easy):
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/LEG-195.jpg
Or this:
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/c/0/0/12/8/AAAADHYQtDMAAAAAABKCHw.jpg
The difference between a gun purse and a bandolier shoulder holster is just that one looks cool and manly, while the other is made for a woman.

Batesmotel
07-10-2011, 10:40
My wife has a purse with a velcro opening with holster on the end instead of the top. This allows her to keep her hand right on the gun with out being noticed. She does this at night when she walks from work to the car.

My daughter has a nice shoulder bag from REI that she has an Uncle Mikes holster sewn into. Works great and doesn't look like a Tacti-cool bag. She looks like another kid on campus.

AGAF
07-10-2011, 15:18
May not be what she is thinking about, but if she wears a skirt, a thigh holster might work with a small J-frame revolver.....

Imnotascoolasu
07-10-2011, 15:21
What about a "day-planner" style holster? That what I plan on giving my girlfriend if she ever becomes interested.