Qwest Q1000 modem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Qwest Q1000 modem

handyman
07-09-2011, 17:16
If you have one does it get hot mine is running 100 degrees with my temp gun. Did call them to see if by chance they might know what they run at but no help. At this time put a small fan behind it go it down 78 degrees.

Pierre!
07-09-2011, 19:25
Have you tried blowing it out with an air compressor or canned air???

Age, Environment (dust, smoking, high humidity), and location (don't laugh - in a box, in a corner with no air, other air circulation issues) can all add up.

Blowing it out will possibly remove any caked on dust allowing it to breath more effectively.

If you are 'renting' the modem, you should be able to swap it out every couple of years.

If you were forced to purchase, then blowing it out and keeping it clean will help, but they do need to be updated every couple of years to assure that the firmware is up to date... and it may, depending on your model, be possible to upgrade the firmware.

So - you have discovered that the fan helps, next try blowing the crud out and see how the temp goes. Heat is the enemy of electronics, so you are wise to seek assistance before it does fail on you!

Hope that helps you out...
Patrick

srhoades
07-09-2011, 19:50
Also check the voltage coming from the wall.

handyman
07-10-2011, 08:18
Have you tried blowing it out with an air compressor or canned air???

Age, Environment (dust, smoking, high humidity), and location (don't laugh - in a box, in a corner with no air, other air circulation issues) can all add up.

Blowing it out will possibly remove any caked on dust allowing it to breath more effectively.

If you are 'renting' the modem, you should be able to swap it out every couple of years.

If you were forced to purchase, then blowing it out and keeping it clean will help, but they do need to be updated every couple of years to assure that the firmware is up to date... and it may, depending on your model, be possible to upgrade the firmware.

So - you have discovered that the fan helps, next try blowing the crud out and see how the temp goes. Heat is the enemy of electronics, so you are wise to seek assistance before it does fail on you!

Hope that helps you out...
Patrick

It's new just got it, from what I found looks like they run hot. I was able to buy it, they wanted 8.00 month to rent. I will check the voltage out of the wall socket. The little fan made a big change will pick up another one for back up. Thanks