VT Resident Carrying Interstate [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VT Resident Carrying Interstate

VT-Rider
07-10-2011, 05:27
As a non-LE resident of Vermont, I do not need a permit for concealed (or open) carry. In VT, there are no laws against carrying - maybe that is why everyone is more polite!:wavey:

I'm planning to drive to Ohio, passing through NY and PA enroute. Reciprocity doesn't seem to apply, as I have no permit anyway.:cool:

What do I need to do to carry through NY and PA, and then in OH?

jeffyjeff
07-10-2011, 06:41
get non-resident permits from other states such as utah or florida. without those you are not carrying in other states (legally at least~)

afaik pennsylvania and ohio honor both those permits, new york doesn't.

mpow66m
07-10-2011, 07:31
if you go into NY anywhere,box it and lock and keep ammo seperate.AVOID NJ LIKE YOUR M.I.L.

DarkBlade1000RR
07-10-2011, 08:21
This link should help ya!

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

MAGlock
07-10-2011, 08:34
As a non-LE resident of Vermont, I do not need a permit for concealed (or open) carry. In VT, there are no laws against carrying - maybe that is why everyone is more polite!:wavey:

I'm planning to drive to Ohio, passing through NY and PA enroute. Reciprocity doesn't seem to apply, as I have no permit anyway.:cool:

What do I need to do to carry through NY and PA, and then in OH?

I drive to Ohio alot from MA and here are my suggestions. NY- lock it up until you are through the State. PA - Lock it up unless you can a non-resident CCW ( can only get them in person now ). OH - No Non-Resident CCW - lock it up. Also, Federal vehicle travel with a firearm does not apply to you as you are not legally aloud to carry in OH.

From OH law

The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants. These obligations do not apply if you are storing a firearm for any lawful purpose and it is not on your person or you are lawfully storing or possessing a firearm in your home. You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If you have a concealed carry permit, you may not transport a loaded, concealed handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways: The loaded handgun is in a holster secured • on the person. Ohio law previously required carrying firearms in a holster in plain sight. The “plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or

The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, glove compartment or console,

or in a case that is locked.