Lights and holsters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lights and holsters

rookiecop2346
07-10-2011, 07:37
We are issued Glock 22's and I want to put a light on it for working deep nights. Any recommendations on what lights/holsters to look at. Currently I am looking at the Blackhawk Serpa level 3 with the Xiphos light, but just curious to see what else is out there.

SARDG
07-10-2011, 07:52
We are issued Glock 22's and I want to put a light on it for working deep nights. Any recommendations on what lights/holsters to look at. Currently I am looking at the Blackhawk Serpa level 3 with the Xiphos light, but just curious to see what else is out there.
You may get answers here, but you could ask over on Cop Talk as well.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Bruce M
07-10-2011, 08:05
I'm sure you already know this, but it never hurts to check with your department in case they have any rules as to which light/holster is allowed or prohibited.

rsxr22
07-10-2011, 19:58
My recommendation for light is a X300. As far as the holster goes, I would look to Raven Concealment if you can use them at your department. If not, Garrett Industries and Safariland make some nice stuff.

cowboy1964
07-10-2011, 20:56
For a duty holster it's hard to beat Safariland for choice and quality.

Bren
07-10-2011, 21:00
Are the lights an option where you work? Most departments I know of don't allow them, except for certain units like SWAT/K9/etc. because of the tendency of officers to use them like flashlights that just happen to point a gun at everything.

denn1911
07-10-2011, 21:11
Blackhawk makes a nice holster, but I do not like their light. The light is also off-set under the pistol. In my opinion, Safariland's light attached holsters are the best in the industry right now. I have one, and it's been great. Good luck with your search.

tango44
07-10-2011, 21:36
Streamlight Surefire X300 + Raven holster.

Chowser
07-10-2011, 22:48
What does your department allow?

Any and everything?

I just banned SERPA holsters from our department. Only the detectives were using them on duty, some guys were using them off-duty.

I also just got rid of our Uncle Mike's whatever thumb snap duty holster. Our other standard issued holster was the Safariland 295. Loved that holster, but the cost is just staggering.

I've been using a Safariland 6280 holster with my Glock 31 and Streamlight TLR-1. I used that combo with the Glock 22 and various lights over the years before I just stopped with the latest TLR-1 C4. (With my 22, it started with a Insight M3, then I went to the TLR-1, then to the Glock GTL10 and new holster, but still a 6280, since the old one didn't fit the glock light, then back to the old holster with the Insight Procyon, then when we went to the 31s, I bought the TLR-1 C4 and have used that since). Our Glock 22s were in the EPK range (which got the "upgrade") and we had no issues with malfunctions and taclights.

I just told everyone that the 295 holster is also out unless they buy it themselves. Our new standard holster (for all new guys starting today onward) will be the regular Safariland 6280 holster. If they want a tac-light, they can purchase the light and a new 6280 holster on their uniform allowance.

Oh, reason I banned the SERPAs was not related to an on-duty incident where a gun was needed. We were doing some ground defense training and two guys with the SERPAs got rocks or something caught up in the release mechanism and could not get their guns out.

I am transitioning them to Safariland 6377/6378 holsters. I just got a 6378 in and have been testing it this weekend and it seems like a winner.

I do have a policy that you cannot use your taclight as a flashlight unless you mean to point your gun at someone. That's why we give you a flash light that doesn't attach to your gun.

---
I don't have strobe on my TLR-1 (I didn't like the strobe on the procyon, so I didn't bother with strobe when I got the new TLR C4). I've never tried Surefire stuff for handguns (I have surefire stuff on my shotgun and mp5). To date, I've never had issues with recoil problems on any of the lights I've used. My original TLR-1 went through at least 5000 rds with the Glock 22 with no issues. My current TLR-1 has over 3000 rds since it's been on the Glock 31. I chose to stay with the TLR-1 over the M3 or Procyon because of the way it connects. It has never come off during a shoot. Coworker's M3s/Procyons have come off because during gun grab tests or rolling around fighting for the gun, the quick disconnect sometimes gets bumped and when we go to shoot, the light flies off. can't bump the TLR-1 latch off

SCSU74
07-11-2011, 02:02
My recommendation for light is a X300. As far as the holster goes, I would look to Raven Concealment if you can use them at your department. If not, Garrett Industries and Safariland make some nice stuff.

Streamlight TLR-1s is brighter, has strobe, and is half the price. I run one on my G21 and have never had a problem. I use a Safariland 6360, it is level 3 and a great holster. Streamlight also just came out with a switch similar to surefire's DG switch so you can actuate the light just by squeezing your middle finger against the grip

rsxr22
07-11-2011, 06:24
Streamlight TLR-1s is brighter, has strobe, and is half the price. I run one on my G21 and have never had a problem. I use a Safariland 6360, it is level 3 and a great holster. Streamlight also just came out with a switch similar to surefire's DG switch so you can actuate the light just by squeezing your middle finger against the grip

Ive had 2 TLR-1's and the most important thing is durability, and that they werent. The body cracked on the first one and the 2nd's internals broke due to recoil. Surefire is easily the company that everyone else is trying to catch up to as far as durability goes. The TLR-1 may have a strobe and cost less, but imo and obviously SF's, they dont need a strobe and you get what you pay for in almost 95% of firearms related purchases

Bill Lumberg
07-11-2011, 07:49
We are all issued TLR-1's and holsters to match. Any department that allows or madates mounted lights should make specific training with the light mandatory. Untrained folks will try to mount/dismount the light on a loaded weapon, turn the light on and off with the trigger finger, and other FAIL moves.

fuzzy03cls
07-11-2011, 08:24
For a duty holster it's hard to beat Safariland for choice and quality.
Pretty much & that is what's generally approved for most PD's.
And another vote for a X300. I have 3.
Streamlight TLR-1s is brighter
It isn't on paper. 160 vs 170 of the surefire. But in reality there's no discernible difference.

SCSU74
07-11-2011, 13:14
Ive had 2 TLR-1's and the most important thing is durability, and that they werent. The body cracked on the first one and the 2nd's internals broke due to recoil. Surefire is easily the company that everyone else is trying to catch up to as far as durability goes. The TLR-1 may have a strobe and cost less, but imo and obviously SF's, they dont need a strobe and you get what you pay for in almost 95% of firearms related purchases

ive had mine for a year and a half, ran it through 3 qualifications, shoot about 200 rds a month all without any problems. Streamlight also has great customer service from what i hear. I've used the strobe several times and really like it, but to each his own. Surefire's are awesome lights i just don't know if the $270 price tag is worth it, seems like you are paying a high price just for the light to say surefire on it

SCSU74
07-11-2011, 13:15
Pretty much & that is what's generally approved for most PD's.
And another vote for a X300. I have 3.

It isn't on paper. 160 vs 170 of the surefire. But in reality there's no discernible difference.

surefire's are more of a focused beam as opposed to the streamlight which is less focused and seems to light up a room better. Surefire has more lumens on paper yes, but streamlights seem brighter when clearing rooms, buildings, etc.

RWBlue
07-11-2011, 13:24
Ive had 2 TLR-1's and the most important thing is durability, and that they werent. The body cracked on the first one and the 2nd's internals broke due to recoil.

Very interesting.
I have a TLR-2 that I ahve been running for several years on a G21 setup for 45ACP/45Super and sometimes suppressed. I always assume that I would find any recoil issues if there were any to be found. I have yet to see an issue.

Can you be more specific about what you were running them on and what issues you saw?

wprebeck
07-11-2011, 15:42
Safariland 6360/G22/SFX200

The 295 sucks, look how you draw from it.

EODLRD
07-11-2011, 16:07
I carry my G22 in a Safariland 6004 with a TLR-1 attached. No issues with the light or the combo.

But I do want to switch to the 6320 for the holster.

FLglockdude
07-11-2011, 16:26
I have a TLR-1s on my M&P9 and it has been flawless over the 500-600 rounds I have fired with the light attached. It is very bright, and doesn't move around at all from recoil, it is very secure.

freeride88
07-11-2011, 16:27
Are the lights an option where you work? Most departments I know of don't allow them, except for certain units like SWAT/K9/etc. because of the tendency of officers to use them like flashlights that just happen to point a gun at everything.

This is exactly why they are currently not allowed for general patrol at my department.

FLglockdude
07-11-2011, 16:54
Safariland 6360 is the most liked of all the GT LEOs it seems.

collim1
07-11-2011, 18:49
Safariland 6360 is the most liked of all the GT LEOs it seems.

That seems to be the consensus over the last year. Although I am a big fan of the 6070 Raptor. I am issued a 070, but the Raptor with a hood guard is more secure IMO and no doubt easier and faster to re secure.

SCSU74
07-11-2011, 22:11
I may be a little partial, 6360 in some variation is all i've ever used. I have a 6360 for Sig w/o light, 6360 for sig w/ light, and a 6360 for my 21 w/light. It hasn't given me any problems yet so i'll probably stick with it :)

EPTSSP
07-11-2011, 22:22
I use the Blackhawk! Xiphos and serpa lvlIII duty setup for work. I guess I should say USED I had to send the light back to BLACKHAWK! because the actuator decided that it didn't want to work anymore. Before it completely went out it would turn on occasionally, and would only actuate from the right side which meant I had to activate it with the trigger finger. I shot maybe 3-5k rounds with it. Occasionally during barricade shooting it would pop off, but that was dependent on how lazy I was with the barricade shooting. I have a few co-workers that have had similar problems with the weapon light. Some haven't, but those fellas don't shoot too much either.

OD Green Glock 19
07-11-2011, 23:42
I can't comment on the light/holster combo yet because I haven't purchased the Raven Concealment holster I will likely get for my HK USPc/TLR-3 combo yet. However, I have a TLR-2 on my H&K 416 pistol, which I love, and a TLR-3 on my H&K USP compact. I use the USPc/TLR-3 as my nightstand gun, so I haven't bothered to get the holster for it yet, but I will eventually get one for it so I can carry the USPc on occasion.

I can say, however, that Streamlight's customer service is amazing. Last week my girlfriend had moved some stuff around under my bed while I was sleeping and when I got out of bed I stepped on my HK USPc case and when I opened the case I noticed that I had cracked the TLR-3 mount. I called Streamlight to see about sending it in for a repair. The gentleman politely told me that a cracked mount was irreparable. I was bummed for a split second until he informed me that when one of their lights is damaged irreparably they just replace them with a new unit. He gave me the address to ship it to and a week later I am back in action. I don't need anymore lights at the moment, but when I get one for my next gun it will surely be a Streamlight. I work in sales/customer service and I thoroughly enjoy dealing with companies that value their customers as much as I value mine. No product is perfect, but when a company stands behind their products and treats customers right, it's my pleasure to reward them with my loyalty.

Bren
07-12-2011, 04:39
By the way, civilians who carry tac lights on your CCW guns, may I ask...WTF?

I mean, the police are required to search for criminals in dark places. Civilians are generally only allowed to point their guns at criminals when they can already see them and realize they are a threat. I can see having one on a home defense gun, but why would anybody carry a CCW gun with a tac light?

Bill Lumberg
07-12-2011, 07:07
Correct. I always found it comical. By the way, civilians who carry tac lights on your CCW guns, may I ask...WTF?

I mean, the police are required to search for criminals in dark places. Civilians are generally only allowed to point their guns at criminals when they can already see them and realize they are a threat. I can see having one on a home defense gun, but why would anybody carry a CCW gun with a tac light?

fuzzy03cls
07-12-2011, 07:38
Well I tried it out for myself.
And after 4 months of IWB carry of my G22 with X300, I agree. There's no need for a CCW to have an attached tac light. I didn't use it once & was never in any position where I would have. Weight & carry were fine for me. Didn't have any issue with added bulk. I still carried a hand held tac light & for a civilian this is the way to go.

Bren
07-12-2011, 11:55
Well I tried it out for myself.
And after 4 months of IWB carry of my G22 with X300, I agree. There's no need for a CCW to have an attached tac light. I didn't use it once & was never in any position where I would have. Weight & carry were fine for me. Didn't have any issue with added bulk. I still carried a hand held tac light & for a civilian this is the way to go.

I agree. In one class we walked forward until we could see and identify a gun the target was holding, then we fired. Turns out, it not only demonstrated how close a justified shooting has to be at night, it also showed how useless a weapon light would be for off-duty/CCW, because you'd have to be walking around pointing your gun at people with NO justification, before you could use the light to identify the threat. A weapon light is for people who are looking for, or approaching a person, already knowing they are a threat.

SCSU74
07-12-2011, 11:59
I agree. In one class we walked forward until we could see and identify a gun the target was holding, then we fired. Turns out, it not only demonstrated how close a justified shooting has to be at night, it also showed how useless a weapon light would be for off-duty/CCW, because you'd have to be walking around pointing your gun at people with NO justification, before you could use the light to identify the threat. A weapon light is for people who are looking for, or approaching a person, already knowing they are a threat.

+1 unless i am clearing a building with an open door or approaching a call that i know someone is acting aggressive/violent i use the light on my belt instead of the light on the gun. The light i use is small enough that i can either A. Drop it or B. put it back in holder while switching on my pistol light.

Bill Lumberg
07-12-2011, 12:09
While not particularly relevant for ccw'ers, back when we transitioned to mounted lights, I thought the only use for the light was when it was pointed at the suspect. That turned out to be far from the case. Reflected light from the low ready illuminates threats pretty well, though not so much past 21 feet. I'm with the above poster, even on those rare occasions where I (on duty) carry with a mounted light, it's not my go-to light.

EODLRD
07-12-2011, 12:22
While not particularly relevant for ccw'ers, back when we transitioned to mounted lights, I thought the only use for the light was when it was pointed at the suspect. That turned out to be far from the case. Reflected light from the low ready illuminates threats pretty well, though not so much past 21 feet. I'm with the above poster, even on those rare occasions where I (on duty) carry with a mounted light, it's not my go-to light.

Agreed. It is most useful for searches. And I take advantage of the "halo" effect of the light.

I would rather have the tool at my disposal than not & the negligent weight justifies it.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-12-2011, 12:58
By the way, civilians who carry tac lights on your CCW guns, may I ask...WTF?

Correct. I always found it comical.

Its so they can illuminate their concealed carry badges at night time.