What do you keep at work/office? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep at work/office?

emt1581
07-10-2011, 14:13
I'm in a correctional facility so if the SHTF it's a decent place to hunker down short term. However, I've been thinking about keeping some stuff there just in case I have to get home quick and escape from my concrete room.

The window is big enough to crawl through but it's thick double paned so I'm not sure what it'd take to break through it. I suppose an axe or a sledge hammer would do it with a few whacks.

I've seen a few fold up bikes that look like they'd get me where I need to go quickly. But as I've discussed elsewhere if it were a wide-scale SHTF, getting home might prove difficult for 2-3 miles.

So I suppose escaping my office in the event of fire or some other issue would be the first thing to tackle.

But in any case, do any of you keep a bag with preps in it somewhere in your office/workplace? If so, what's in it?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Akita
07-10-2011, 14:24
Why not just a normal bike on a rack on your vehicle. Lock it up good and its as innocent as can be to the sheep. Good comfortable biking/jogging clothing, water filter(or water depending on your route), appropriate legal firearm in your vehicle also. That should be all you need to get home in a crisis. Dont overwork the problem.

As to leaving the facility, be the guy that has the keys to get out with or a radio(spare batteries) to have Central let you out.

emt1581
07-10-2011, 14:29
Why not just a normal bike on a rack on your vehicle. Lock it up good and its as innocent as can be to the sheep. Good comfortable biking/jogging clothing, water filter(or water depending on your route), appropriate legal firearm in your vehicle also. That should be all you need to get home in a crisis. Dont overwork the problem.

As to leaving the facility, be they guy that has the keys to get out with or a radio(spare batteries) to have Central let you out.

Again for the purpose of this thread it was just escaping the office and making it to you GHB.

So for me it's be whatever tools needed to bust out a 2'x2' sheet of double paned window and some other minimal supplies. I'm thinking a "tool", flashlight, bottle of water, safety glasses and some gloves.

While it is a secured building, an active shooter is NOT out of the question so while I AM the guy with the keys, if I can't access an exit, I'd have to make my own. Fire and an active shooter are about the only situations I can think of now...

As far as the bike idea, leaving ANYTHING out in the elements year round is just not a good idea. This is why a fold up bike in the trunk, checked monthly, might be something to look at.

Thanks

-Emt1581

AK_Stick
07-10-2011, 15:06
I have my normal truck GHB/aid bag. Plus I keep a Go-bag for when I'm flying in my flight gear locker.

I dare say, there probably isn't a better place I know of for me to be if the SHTF than at work. If something were to happen while I was there, I would stay at work, unless I had to evac.

My personal go-aid bag has been posted many times.

My flight go-bag, depends on the season. In the winter, its probably the most complete bug-out bag you could find. As its got everything required to survive a crash in AK, and snow shoe out. Winter clothes, tent, food ect. In the summer, its pretty much just a glorified camping trip, as I'm just going to sit around and wait for the DART chopper to come get me.

RatDrall
07-10-2011, 15:28
Again for the purpose of this thread it was just escaping the office and making it to you GHB.

I work in an office. I have a bag that I keep under my desk. In the main compartment it has my folders, pens, calculator, etc. that I use at work, and bring home to use at night. It has two external compartments, one holds two 1/2 liter bottles of water, a warmth kit (fire tools, emergency bivy sac), a trauma kit (Quick Clot, Kerlix, Israelie bandage, triangle bandage, more kerlix), a few bags of Sunkist tuna, an AA Maglite, and a Spyderco Delica. The other compartment has a Glock 17 and two spare magazines. The bag has a flap that covers the external compartments, making it look like any yuppy messenger bag.

I work 5 miles from home and wear clothing suitable for a walk at any given moment. It's an ideal situation, being able to keep what I keep and wear what I wear, as far as having to react to an emergency.

freedom790
07-10-2011, 17:14
I work in a controlled area, underground, in a hardened facility. Due to the nature of my job there is no escaping from work, it goes the other way around, I have to escape TO it. I have a locker at work where I keep an alert bag, I also keep some essentials in my car. Cold and wet weather are always a possibility here so I always have my Gortex and fleece available, several sets in my car and one set at work.

Akita
07-10-2011, 17:32
Sorry, the talk in your initial post about foldup bikes made me think you were asking about THAT also......
I'll work on my mind-reading skills; I honestly thought you wanted people to comment on all aspects of your thread.

cowboy1964
07-10-2011, 18:14
I work in an office. I have a bag that I keep under my desk. In the main compartment it has my folders, pens, calculator, etc. that I use at work, and bring home to use at night. It has two external compartments, one holds two 1/2 liter bottles of water, a warmth kit (fire tools, emergency bivy sac), a trauma kit (Quick Clot, Kerlix, Israelie bandage, triangle bandage, more kerlix), a few bags of Sunkist tuna, an AA Maglite, and a Spyderco Delica. The other compartment has a Glock 17 and two spare magazines. The bag has a flap that covers the external compartments, making it look like any yuppy messenger bag.

What kind of office do you work in that you feel comfortable keeping a handgun in a bag that is physically not in your possession 100% of the work day?

UtahIrishman
07-10-2011, 18:22
I'm in a correctional facility ....
Thanks

-Emt1581

I love things taken out of context :tongueout:

Sorry...just had to do it.

On a more serious note I have a bag with me at all times that has some essential survival items. Survival blanket, change of socks, small first aid kit, medications, extra knife, sewing kit, two spare mags for my G19. It also double as my brief-case. Since I carry it all the time no one pays attention to it.

It's about ten miles to home,so I could hoof it if I have to.

emt1581
07-10-2011, 18:25
What kind of office do you work in that you feel comfortable keeping a handgun in a bag that is physically not in your possession 100% of the work day?

See this isn't an option for me as my building, even though I'm in admin. within it, is one of only two places in the state I'm not allowed to carry (gov. buildings such as court houses/correctional facilities and primary schools).

Technically I could check my weapon at the door with the Deputies but it would be useless in an active shooter situation anyway being that far away (25yds and 3 levels of secured doors).

I figure if I'm in my office and hear cracking/smell smoke or hear gunfire I want to be able to get out that window within 2-3 seconds tops. This is my main hurdle. But once out there I only have a 1-2 block walk to my vehicle but that's 1-2 blocks of ghetto. So I figure a light, good knife, blunt tool like an ASP or hammer would be just fine. Maybe some OC as well. But a blanket or towel to cover the jagged glass in the pane would also be a decent idea.

Again, I'm curious to know how easy this stuff is to break and HOW it breaks. That is, do I have to keep knocking each piece out of place or will it break into 2-3 main chunks that I can just clear away?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-10-2011, 18:28

I work 5 miles from home and wear clothing suitable for a walk at any given moment. It's an ideal situation, being able to keep what I keep and wear what I wear, as far as having to react to an emergency.

Aside from the Glock this sounds like a bag I could easily make up. BTW, I think you meant STARkist Tuna unless they added orange flavoring to it. ;)

-Emt1581

RatDrall
07-10-2011, 19:29

A very small one filled with shooters who respect one anothers property.

Not much difference than leaving it in the car. It's not like my bag is lying around where anyone can get at it, that would be irresponsible. Where I go, so goes the bag...

M1A Shooter
07-11-2011, 11:55
for the window, id keep a spring loaded punch in a pen pocket of any bag id carry.

RichJ
07-11-2011, 13:50

Lots of people keep guns locked in their office desk droor, especially if they have a private office that is locked after hours.

emt1581
07-11-2011, 15:09
for the window, id keep a spring loaded punch in a pen pocket of any bag id carry.

That isn't gonna cut it for these. For a quick exit it's gonna take something large/heavy/sharp. The punch would probably leave a BB sized hole in the window.

I tried looking up how to break these on youtube with no luck. I'll ask the guys over at the firehouse how they do it.

Thanks

-Emt1581

wjv
07-11-2011, 16:20
I'm in a correctional facility

Hopefully you'll get some time off for "good behavior" :tongueout:

Regarding breaking out of your office, I'm not sure that they would let you bring anything into that type of facility that would prove useful towards smashing plexi windows or that could be used to pull doors off of their hinges or such.

You probably have better knowledge than us about such things. Most of us work in environment where we can just stand up and walk out the door; or worse case, throw a chair or a CRT through a plain-old-glass window and escape!

On edit: How about some sort of hydraulic jack (5-10 ton) that you can buy at places like Harbor Freight. Even a simple scissor jack can impart a lot of force. The trick is that you would need something to brace it against.

Another option might be some sort of glass cutter that you could use to cut a starter hole, the put a pry bar into to shatter the glass. I use to work in a plexi fab plant. The stuff is strong UNLESS you can get a crack started, they you can shatter it fairly easily. We use to use acetone to treat the edges of the cut sheets to "melt" the edges and prevent crack/seams from forming.

emt1581
07-11-2011, 16:32
Hopefully you'll get some time off for "good behavior" :tongueout:

Regarding breaking out of your office, I'm not sure that they would let you bring anything into that type of facility that would prove useful towards smashing plexi windows or that could be used to pull doors off of their hinges or such.

You probably have better knowledge than us about such things. Most of us work in environment where we can just stand up and walk out the door; or worse case, throw a chair or a CRT through a plain-old-glass window and escape!

On edit: How about some sort of hydraulic jack (5-10 ton) that you can buy at places like Harbor Freight. Even a simple scissor jack can impart a lot of force. The trick is that you would need something to brace it against.

Another option might be some sort of glass cutter that you could use to cut a starter hole, the put a pry bar into to shatter the glass. I use to work in a plexi fab plant. The stuff is strong UNLESS you can get a crack started, they you can shatter it fairly easily. We use to use acetone to treat the edges of the cut sheets to "melt" the edges and prevent crack/seams from forming.

As far as not being able to bring it in...I don't get scanned so I COULD bring a .50BMG and C4 if I wanted to...wouldn't be legal but the capability is there. However, no rule or law against me having hammers and such...hell I had a hammer there in plain view for over a month, no one said anything.

I really just need to learn more about these windows.

But I like the "office" bags some of yall have. Anyone else have one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

wjv
07-11-2011, 17:01
In that case:

A wood drill with a couple sharp bits (1.5-2")

This type of drill (assume no power) > http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/bcvojak/RVNet3/Hand_drill.gif

A pry-bar
A sharp chisel & hammer
A couple hack saw blades

That's about all you need to take apart a piece of Lexan.

Drill a starter hole big enough for the pry-bar to fit into
Add some starting cuts using the hack saw blades
Then use the chisel / hammer on the sawed cuts to create initial fractures
Use pry-bar to complete the fractures and shatter the glass.

You can burn through either very easily with a torch, but you will be putting out a lot of smelly / nasty chemicals as it burns.

----------------

Found these:

Comment: plexiglass is acrylic and will shatter whereas lexan is polycarbonate and is for the most part impact-resistant

Comment: Lexan has terrible solvent resistance. A wide variety of common solvents will destroy it's fracture resistance including ordinary methanol and isopropanol

Comment: (using a wood axe) My co-worker axed away, full force, at another Lexan window lying on the floor. This time it took 15 hits to get through the window.

FireForged
07-11-2011, 17:15
I cant imagine any Correctional Facility allowing a employee or anyone else to just carry in or store items that are not 100% essential to that employees job responsibilities and 100% authorized via policy and certainly not any items that are capable of defeating security barriers.

pugman
07-12-2011, 05:43
Unlike all the folks who either work at a place better than their home or are 5-6 miles from home I will be the first to say I'm officially screwed.

My one way commute is 50 miles in a mid-sized metro area (aka Milwaukee). I also work less than two miles from a major interchange which also directs traffic towards Chicago.

We have almost no televisions in the building (we have one in our main cafeteria) and radio reception is nearly nonexistant. Others who have satellite radio have been known to run wires over ten or more cubes to try and get some sort of reception through a window or "bouncing" off a major building.

On the upside, I can be in my car in less than 3-4 minutes. If I tried driving, if I can get past the first 10-12 miles of highway traffic, I have a very good shot of getting home once I clear the western surburbs. As much as I would hate to take a major highway, its simply the fastest and most direct route. I got a real sense of what side streets would be like back in 2008 when we had major flooding in the area and every bridge in my county which ran east to west was closed. No matter what way I tried, it took me 2+ hours to get home; on some days 4. However, after several of these 4 hour one way commutes I WFH a lot more.

What I have at work off the top of my head:

Enough change where I could empty the vending machine (unless we lost power)

6 20 oz bottles which are filled every morning (what I drink throughout the day)

A drawer full of snacks...trail mix, some granola bars, gum,

A wool blanket

2 SAKS and a Mini Grip, a lighter, a small LED light

As of 11/1/11 when Wisconsin FINALLY gets a CCW law a firearm in my car-right now most likely a G26 with several spare mags

A small FAK

Toothbrush/toothpaste, a roll of dental floss (I brush my teeth at work in the am)

A military grade poncho

A set of trail shoes (for when I walk at lunch). Depending on my dress for the day I would change into these.

A set of shorts and a t-shirt. Ever since the floods of 2008 some of those 4 hour commutes made me want to wear something much more comfortable for those long drives home.

No name backpack

Mack Donald
07-12-2011, 07:06
I'm in a correctional facility...

...I have to get home quick and escape from my concrete room...

The window is big enough to crawl through but it's thick double paned so I'm not sure what it'd take to break through it. I suppose an axe or a sledge hammer would do it with a few whacks.

So I suppose escaping ...would be the first thing to tackle.

Thanks

-Emt1581

:wow:

:shocked:

Rest of thread skipped . :whistling:

:rofl::rofl:

RichJ
07-12-2011, 09:02

:shocked:

:rofl::rofl:

I too have to chuckle a little bit at this thread. After all the extensive preps emt has and how much he practically obsesses about his preps, you'd think getting out of the damn building he works at would have been high on his list of things to address. :supergrin:

Bilbo Bagins
07-12-2011, 09:13
I'm in a correctional facility so if the SHTF it's a decent place to hunker down short term. However, I've been thinking about keeping some stuff there just in case I have to get home quick and escape from my concrete room.

You need a small rock hammer, movie posters, and lots of time.

:rofl:

http://chud.com/nextraimages/Oct23Shawshank1.bmp

wrenrj1
07-12-2011, 09:15
appropriate legal firearm in your vehicle also. That should be all you need to get home in a crisis. Dont overwork the problem.

That would get you fired in any state correctional facility in my state. Employee vehicles are subject to random search. An employee challenged the rule, took it to court, and lost his job.

I'm probably preaching to the choir as you work there, but be sure to review the "banned items" list for your facility.

SFCSMITH(RET)
07-12-2011, 09:28
To answer the original question..

Nothing.

Retirement has it's perks..

To get out of the room... at Lowes and HD, over in the hand tool section, they have some "hammers" that are demolition tools, seems like they would be very handy for this task. Something like the Stanley FUBAR (http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-099) hammer maybe?

quake
07-12-2011, 09:50
...But in any case, do any of you keep a bag with preps in it somewhere in your office/workplace? If so, what's in it?

Skipping the whole "escaping from a correctional facility" part of the equation, I'll just go with this part... :supergrin:

Yes I do, although not a an actual 'bag'. Safe in my wife's office has several long guns & handguns with ammo, mags & such, along with a filing cabinet in it with important work & personal papers. A small secured storage room that not even employees have access to has other stuff including, well, other stuff. Lots of tools & other things in the shop and in the vehicles as well.

We could lock the doors and stay in here for a month, with the only real issues being toilet-flushing and water.

emt1581
07-12-2011, 16:37

Hahaha!! :rofl:

I didn't understand what people were talking about before. Nice job. Yeah, I'm definitely not a prisoner there. But I can see how that must have looked. :supergrin:

-Emt1581

wjv
07-12-2011, 16:53
Hahaha!! :rofl:

I didn't understand what people were talking about before. Nice job. Yeah, I'm definitely not a prisoner there. But I can see how that must have looked. :supergrin:

We are ALL prisoners in one way or another!!

emt1581
07-12-2011, 16:57

Yeah, but I kinda like it. ;)

:whip:

-Emt1581

lawman800
07-12-2011, 20:37
I keep a hand-crank powered lantern and some energy drinks.

wrenrj1
07-13-2011, 18:56

I plan on breaking INTO prison is SHTF. Three hots and a cot behind concrete walls and razor wire doesn't sound to bad if it comes to that, also I like cable TV. :cool:

fmfdocglock
07-13-2011, 19:06
I keep a BoB in my closet at work with the same gear as the one in my car (I carpool).

wrenrj1
07-13-2011, 19:08
I keep a BoB in my closet at work with the same gear as the one in my car (I carpool).

Carpooling is good. You can use them as a food source...

fmfdocglock
07-13-2011, 19:31
Carpooling is good. You can use them as a food source...

"human trail mix"

lawman800
07-14-2011, 00:32
I plan on breaking INTO prison is SHTF. Three hots and a cot behind concrete walls and razor wire doesn't sound to bad if it comes to that, also I like cable TV. :cool:

Aside from the unwanted buttseks, it is not all that bad in prison, I guess.

wrenrj1
07-14-2011, 18:37
Aside from the unwanted buttseks, it is not all that bad in prison, I guess.

Guess I didn't think that one through...:wow:

TangoFoxtrot
07-15-2011, 02:55
Nothing at my work location. I keep a GHB with extra water, clothes and ammo in the trunk of my car.

cyrsequipment
07-19-2011, 12:16
I work out of my home (mostly) so it isn't an issue.
However, my other office is in a jail (the unlocked side) so I'm kinda familiar with your situation. I'll tell you that you AIN'T gonna bust your way out of that window. Most correctional facilities are designed to be able to convert any room into a cell (low risk at least). If you have one of those SHTF situations happen while you are there, hunker down and wait for help to arrive.

emt1581
07-19-2011, 15:43
I work out of my home (mostly) so it isn't an issue.
However, my other office is in a jail (the unlocked side) so I'm kinda familiar with your situation. I'll tell you that you AIN'T gonna bust your way out of that window. Most correctional facilities are designed to be able to convert any room into a cell (low risk at least). If you have one of those SHTF situations happen while you are there, hunker down and wait for help to arrive.

It's only 1/2-3/4" thick...it can't be THAT impossible to break through....can it? If so, why?

Thanks

-Emt1581

M1A Shooter
07-19-2011, 16:03
might be similar to gorilla glass. iirc, thats a ploymer laminated layered glass that is designed not to break. may be called something differetn but thats what ive heard it referred to as they use it in zoos and such as well.

Maine1
07-19-2011, 18:20
its Lexan. i'd LOVE to see you break it. I also work in corrections, and i have seen 260# guys RUN head first into large lexan windows, and land on their ass a few feet away. It makes a hell of a racket. The thick stuff-1" or so will stop many handgun rounds.

an yup, i have stuff at work, JIC

cyrsequipment
07-20-2011, 05:25
It's only 1/2-3/4" thick...it can't be THAT impossible to break through....can it? If so, why?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Like Maine1 said (we Mainers are Smart), it is a LOT tougher than you think. Some thicknesses of lexan are used as ballistic shielding. I'm also guessing that it is actually thicker than it appears, but even then, 1/2 inch of lexan is not going to be something your gonna get out of without some sort of circular saw, rifle, or explosives...

Like I mentioned above, if your jail is like every other correctional facility I've been in, even the Admin sections are designed to house prisoners in an emergency.

Store water and food and wait to get let out, unless your facility will somehow let you bring a cordless saw into your office...

Steff1
07-20-2011, 07:30
I couldn't think of a worst place to be during a SHTF event than a prison. Once the inmates realize whats going on, you're sadly out numbered.

tc556guy
08-01-2011, 08:25
My car is my office, My POV is in the parking lot. My BOB is in the POV. More than enough stuff to get by if needed. I've been stranded at work for 3 days in the past due to storms.

I couldn't think of a worst place to be during a SHTF event than a prison. Once the inmates realize whats going on, you're sadly out numbered.

You lock them all down and put the available staff on 12 hour shifts until relief arrives. Thats what we've done in the past.

MMII
08-01-2011, 17:33
Keep a five pound sledge and a chisel in your desk.

If you have to get out, work the edges, not the center of the glass.

The weakest part is the frame.

Either way, that is some tough stuff. Good luck.

TangoFoxtrot
08-02-2011, 03:55

...and bait for the inmates!