New Glock, slide catches when it chambers around [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Glock, slide catches when it chambers around

PlumberOfDeath
07-10-2011, 16:32
I am a new handgun owner with a brand new Glock 17. I've barely broken it in with about 50 rounds at the range after initial purchase. From the very beginning I've had troubles where the slide would catch about 1/4" from completely moving forward when it chambers a round. A nudge would cause the slide to move to its final position but I experienced a few jams even just the first 50 rounds. The can also occur when manually ejecting rounds. When pulling the slide back and easing it forward with magazine out and nothing in the chamber I can feel a catch around where it stops but it does not stick; the slide moves all the way forward. I have cleaned and oiled the Glock to no effect. I have heard that burs can exist in the feed ramp but an examination hasn't turned up any such evidence although I am uncertain of what to look for or exactly the process of testing/resolving the problem.

I am using 9mm Luger Remington UMC rounds. I have pictures as well, if that helps.

What is wrong and what can I do about this? Thanks in advance.

JR
07-24-2011, 16:09
Are you sure the ammo is factory and not a reload? This looks & sounds like a typical reload issue!
If the ammo is factory produced I suspect you have an issue with the chamber or recoil spring. Remove the barrel and verify the ammo drops into the chamber with the case head sitting approximately 1/16 below the barrel hood. If so, you are good to go regarding the barrel. Replace the recoil spring.
Let us know how it works out?