two questions, [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : two questions,

scouter338
07-10-2011, 19:22
Mas, your vast and recognized level of experience is such an asset to this forum. I can't thank you enough: 1, what experience do you have with the ultra high velocity 85gr .40 loads, recoil is starting to be a factor for my wife with the 165's for our house gun. I have her shooting the federal reduced loads now but still may become an issue. She hates revolvers and wanted a 40? 2, My g22 was a mohp issue gen 3. A captains gun with a minus glock connector. Is this a touch light pursuant to the possibility of a lighter than normal factory trigger? Again thank you, I have several of your books and enjoy your work! Alan

Mas Ayoob
07-10-2011, 20:19
Scouter, answering your questions in order:

1. I don't know of ANYONE who has experience with hyper-velocity/ultra-light bullet loads in .40, and I don't recommend that either of you volunteer to be the guinea pigs who find out if they work in a fight to the death...or not.

2. If your G22 has a "-" connector WITH NY-1 trigger, I think you're good to go. Lots of folks here on GT, including JR, who runs the Glock Pistol section here at GATE, use that combination themselves. It takes you over the 5.5 pound pull weight minimum, below which you're vulnerable to unscrupulous lawyers who say you "recklessly" went below Glock factory recommended trigger pull weight. If you have the "-" connector and standard trigger spring, I would STRONGLY suggest that you either (a) install a standard 5.5 lb connector or (b) install the NY-1 trigger module (or have one or the other, or both, installed by a competent gunsmith or Glock factory certified armorer).

At the top of Glock Talk's "Concealed Carry" section, there's a sticky about 3.5 pound trigger pulls that is most worthy of your attention.

You didn't ask, but...if .40 caliber recoil is too snappy for the woman you love, there are lots of 9mm loads that will "get the job done" with less recoil, and will give you both (a) more all-around combat capability than a gun that kicks too hard for one of you, and (b) more peace of mind all around.

best,
mas