The use of LE only ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The use of LE only ammo

JEEPX
07-11-2011, 07:24
I would like to ask a question.

I carry a Kahr P9 and PM9. My wife carries a P9. The is a P2000 9mm on my nightstand, and P2sk 9mm on hers.

After research and informal penetration/expansion tests, I wand to change our carry load.

We have used the Gold Dot 124gr +p. I am very impressed with the HST 147gr +p, especially out of the short barreled Kahrs.

My question is this.

The HST is a LE only round. It is not banned from civilian use, but is not marketed toward us.

If used in a justified self defense case, would a DA try and use the ammo against me?

Castle Doctrine in Georgia protects against civil suit.

Would the use of HST open me up to civil suit?

With training I want to use the best ammunition possible to procect my family. The HST 147gr +p, is the round I choose.

I want to male sure using this ammo, will not cost me in the long run.

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
07-11-2011, 08:09
The ue of HST wouldn't open you to civil suit by itself. However, a lawyer who has no case feels compelled to make one, and MIGHT make the argument that there was something wrong about using perfectly legal ammo that happens to be marketed to police only.

While that has often been hypothesized, I haven't seen it happen. A few years ago I asked the folks at Winchester about it, and they said they hadn't seen a case of it happening, either. Of course, none of that means it COULDN'T happen.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. If it came up, my answer would be, "Counselor, I chose that ammunition because if the police thought it was the best thing to use to protect me and my family, it seemed obvious that it would be the best thing for me to use to protect myself and my family."

best,
Mas

JEEPX
07-11-2011, 11:43
Mr Ayoob,

Your years of experience on such matters, are well respected by myself.

Thank-you for your reply.