Glock 30 for CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 30 for CCW

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 09:21
Hey everyone, I need some advice about the g30 and CCW.

I currently carry a snubby as my EDC that measures slightly wider than than the g30 at about 1.318''

I don't find my snub to be uncomfortable at all either IWB or OWB and am wondering how much more difficult/uncomfortable will it be to carry a g30 that is technically slimmer than the snub.

Any opinions or advice about carry the g30 IWB and OWB? Or should I just look into a g36?

Thanks in advance.

Texcowboy
07-11-2011, 09:25
My G30 is my CCW when I can wear a jacket or vest in cooler weather, eith IWB or OWB. For the summer heat here in Texas it is much easier to conceal my G36 in a DeSantis Insider carried in the appendix position with an untucked T Shirt. The G36 is only very slightly larger than my G26 or G33 and is just as concealable.

And, Welcome to Glock Talk !

ron59
07-11-2011, 09:39
I have a G30SF... haven't tried carrying it as I have a G26 for that.

I do prefer the .45ACP, my plan is to get a G36 and carry that. I love the G30SF, I shoot it in GSSF competitions right now and probably won't get rid of it, but don't think I'd personally carry it.

dregotglock
07-11-2011, 09:41
edc is a g30 - owb

I find the 30 to conceal very well. Summer in Tx is pretty hot - Typically I wear x-large t-shirts, shorts, and my new balances. No issues at 5'9" 175lbs.

With that being said - you have to put some thought into your clothing for the day. No tight tank tops or tight muscle shirts. A good gun belt and holster.

FLSlim
07-11-2011, 09:45
I probably carry a G30 more than any other weapon. It is a bit chunky and heavy (when fully loaded), but good holster, good belt, no problem. I actually like an OWB better for the G30, although I use IWB, too. My favorite OWB is a Hume 721OT; it carries high and keeps the Glock close (at about 4 o'clock), and it is relatively inexpensive in the world of leather holsters. IWB is a CBST. Lastly, what isn't to like about 10+1 rounds of 230 gr. 45 acp.....

BuckyP
07-11-2011, 09:48
I guess a lot will depend on which snubby you carry. If it's an air weight J Frame, it's going to be noticeable. I EDC my G30 frequently, shorts and tshirt not a problem. As mentioned, dressing properly will make a big difference.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 09:51
wow thanks for all the opinions and info!

i should have mentioned that I carry at the appendix position IWB. the snubby doesn't have any problem concealing IWB and am hoping the 30 won't either.

even though the cylinder on the snubbie is wider than any part of the g30, the g30 probably has more bulk in the grip, making it bulkier overall. i've handled the g30 before, but have never been able to try and carry one IWB.

i just don't want to regret not being able to conceal the g30 well enough to not have it as my EDC.

if anyone could compare carrying the g30 to a snubby IWB that would be great. weight wise, i know the g30 will be significantly heavier but i'm talking more about the printing issues and comfort issues that the bulkiness may cause

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 09:51
I guess a lot will depend on which snubby you carry. If it's an air weight J Frame, it's going to be noticeable. I EDC my G30 frequently, shorts and tshirt not a problem. As mentioned, dressing properly will make a big difference.

its a full stainless snubbie that weighs 25 oz unloaded.

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2011, 10:20
Taurus851,

You may want to get a 9-round magazine for the G30. I have a G30SF, and it's just about as big as my G19/G23 pistols with the 10-round magazine that comes stock.

For AIWB, you may want to try the Comp-Tac MTAC with no cant on the holster. They are nice, because of the leather they add on the back to cover the fasteners.

I've also been trying out the Remora holsters, which are this tacky/sticky outside with a kydex reinforcement inside to keep the shape. You can set them at whatever angle you need to be comfortable or to not print.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 10:26
why a 9 round mag?

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2011, 10:30
Check out the baseplate on the G30SF:

Here it is in a Theis IWB horsehide holster:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/07074a17.jpg

In the Remora holster to the left:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/c09054de.jpg

Here is a good shot in the box:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/Glock/IMG_7693.jpg

That thicker baseplate makes a difference, especially when you have the pistol sitting in there at an angle.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 10:33
thanks beanie. so you carry your G30 every day w/out an issue?

samurairabbi
07-11-2011, 10:34
I have found clothing options that allow a G29/30 frame to be carried in a front pocket.

Certain "designer" khakis (primarily Polo, Hilfinger, Nautica) have front pockets large enough to comfortably hold a frame that size; I guess those manufacturers figure larger-than-usual pockets are a desirable marketing feature, and the CCW crowd can hitch a ride on that outlook. I use an inner holster, and installed Siderlock triggers on all my Glocks that go in that front pocket. This setup has solved ALL my concealed carry issues.

Bogey
07-11-2011, 10:35
I've been carrying a G30 since 2004 IWB.

Mostly, I use a Sidearmor (GT sponsor) IWB with belt loop attachments). The thing is indestructible.

If I have to dress up, I use my COMP-TAC C-TAC (I know, it's old) and it tucks well. Kind of a pain to get it just right, but once I do, it's very comfortable and makes the 30 disappear.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 10:41
it sounds as if the 30 isn't an issue to conceal as long as you have a good belt and don't wear form fitting clothing. i

s it uncomfortable to sit and maneuver carrying one in the appendix position?

wacopolumbo
07-11-2011, 10:47
why a 9 round mag?

The 9 round mag keeps the mag flush with the bottom of the grip rather than extending down below the grip. One variation I have carried and still do fairly often is a combo of a G30 and G36. After reading about it here, I tried it an like it. I put the G36 upper on my G30 lower and get a pistol that "feels/seems" more compact. You basically get the narrow slide and a double stack mag. One real advantage of this is that you can use holsters made for the 19/23/32 and it is a little narrower in a IWB holster. When I called Glock to make sure it is safe to do this they mentioned they will be releasing this very set-up. Here is how my G30/36 combo looks with a 9 round mag...nice and compact.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/Wacopolumbo/68c1200c.jpg

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 10:52
thats a neat idea i've read about before. how much is a g36 slide?

also, when you say they will be releasing this very set up do you mean they are coming out with a new model that will be double stacked but slimmer? maybe i should hold out for that..

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2011, 11:08
thanks beanie. so you carry your G30 every day w/out an issue?

That's not the only one I carry--I have a rotation going with all the "smaller" pistols due to the really hot weather. Plus, it keeps me interested in all of those guns, too. They all have different triggers, and I shoot the carry guns as much as any of the other ones I've got, just to make sure I'm proficient with them if there were ever a situation required to make use of them.

wacopolumbo
07-11-2011, 11:22
thats a neat idea i've read about before. how much is a g36 slide?

also, when you say they will be releasing this very set up do you mean they are coming out with a new model that will be double stacked but slimmer? maybe i should hold out for that..

Unfortuantely, you can't buy the G36 upper. Glockmeister does have G30 lowers (currently out of stock with an unknown in-stock date) though. I built mine by combineing my G30 and G36.

I don't know what the timeline will be with the "new" Glock. The guy I spoke with said "within a year." I know I will buy one when they come out. It only makes sense, slim upper on a double stack lower. Basically, it make the G30 profiel resemble the 9/40/357 guns ie, the slide is slimmer than the frame.

m51
07-11-2011, 11:25
I had a 30SF a couple of years ago and found it too thick for edc. I now carry a Walther PPS for summer and my trusty 26 for winter.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 11:33
Unfortuantely, you can't buy the G36 upper. Glockmeister does have G30 lowers (currently out of stock with an unknown in-stock date) though. I built mine by combineing my G30 and G36.

I don't know what the timeline will be with the "new" Glock. The guy I spoke with said "within a year." I know I will buy one when they come out. It only makes sense, slim upper on a double stack lower. Basically, it make the G30 profiel resemble the 9/40/357 guns ie, the slide is slimmer than the frame.

Within a year...hmm thats interesting. I'd be disappointed to buy a g30 and then have this hybrid come out a few months later giving people the best of both worlds

alwaysshootin
07-11-2011, 11:39
I carried a G30 in a Comp-tac Infidel for 5 years, and, I won't say like a dumb donkey, I sold it, but, I will say this, IMHO, there is not a better choice in a carry weapon. Good capacity, good weight, great accuracy, and lastly a great defensive, proven round! Enough said.:wavey:

I also feel, IMHO, a foty cal, is just as good!:supergrin:

mrsurfboard
07-11-2011, 12:11
If you don't mind a gun that thick, it's ok. The G36 is thinner.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 12:31

yea thats my only concern. it feels great in my hand (i have large hands) but i'm trying to get a feel for how it would carry IWB.

can someone compare how much more difficult it is to conceal compared to carrying a stainless steel snubbie?

alwaysshootin
07-11-2011, 12:39

If thickness is a concern, go with the G23, and get twice the capacity with every bit as good of caliber for carry. :wavey:

mrsurfboard
07-11-2011, 12:50
yea thats my only concern. it feels great in my hand (i have large hands) but i'm trying to get a feel for how it would carry IWB.

can someone compare how much more difficult it is to conceal compared to carrying a stainless steel snubbie?

Well, you have to think about how that thick block of steel is going to feel stuck in your waist. The G30 is really a poor attempt at a CCW considering what else is out there. The G36 shows the slide doesn't have to be that thick for a 45ACP.

1canvas
07-11-2011, 13:02
The 9 round mag keeps the mag flush with the bottom of the grip rather than extending down below the grip. One variation I have carried and still do fairly often is a combo of a G30 and G36. After reading about it here, I tried it an like it. I put the G36 upper on my G30 lower and get a pistol that "feels/seems" more compact. You basically get the narrow slide and a double stack mag. One real advantage of this is that you can use holsters made for the 19/23/32 and it is a little narrower in a IWB holster. When I called Glock to make sure it is safe to do this they mentioned they will be releasing this very set-up. Here is how my G30/36 combo looks with a 9 round mag...nice and compact.

if i ever see one of those i would buy it on the spot.
i have a thought; what about the 36 slide on a 30sf frame.

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2011, 13:11
If thickness is a concern, go with the G23, and get twice the capacity with every bit as good of caliber for carry. :wavey:

The G32 would also be a good choice if energy or muzzle velocity were important factors for you. Plus, you could purchase a .40 barrel for the G23 and have the best of both calibers!

alwaysshootin
07-11-2011, 13:14
The G32 would also be a good choice if energy or muzzle velocity were important factors for you. Plus, you could purchase a .40 barrel for the G23 and have the best of both calibers!

You are correct!

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 13:21
i was having a hard time deciding between the 23 and 30, and my brain says 23 but my heart says 30. something makes me want the .45 over the .40 even though i know for a fact CCW w/a 23 is easy and comfortable

BuckyP
07-11-2011, 13:27
i was having a hard time deciding between the 23 and 30, and my brain says 23 but my heart says 30. something makes me want the .45 over the .40 even though i know for a fact CCW w/a 23 is easy and comfortable

You should shoot them both first. On paper, I'd choose the G23. However, I shoot the G30 much better, so that is what I use.

Taurus851
07-11-2011, 13:30
i've shot a g23. recoil isn't bad compared to something like a 32, but it does have a little bit of a muzzle flip.

never shot a 30 but i like the idea of a "push" instead of snap. i've also read its one of glocks most accurate pistols..

i may have to go get my hands on another 30 before i decide

J_P
07-11-2011, 13:32

I hope they make that combo it would sell like crazy!

mrsurfboard
07-11-2011, 13:38

Coming from someone who owned a G27 and owns a G36, the .45acp is easier to shoot then the 40.

wacopolumbo
07-11-2011, 13:47
if i ever see one of those i would buy it on the spot.
i have a thought; what about the 36 slide on a 30sf frame.

You can always make your own, you just have to buy a 30 and a 36. :cool:

It is nice and only a little bigger than the 26/27. With the 9 round mag, it is right between the 26 and 19 in size. I do like it. I wish they had done the flush-fit mag for the 36. A 5 round mag that doesn't extend so far.

Edmo01
07-11-2011, 20:52
I used to carry a G23, gave it to my son and now I carry a G30 instead.

The G30 definately "pushes" during recoil as opposed to the "snap" of the 40. However, for a light, small carry pistol option I still rely on my baby Glock G27 in 40.

Edmo

TattooAl
07-12-2011, 07:44
I own a G19 and I like to know is the G30 similar size to the 19 or the G30SF closer in size to the G19 ?

Can anyone post side by side comparison shots?

1canvas
07-12-2011, 07:51
the g30 is thicker and more bulky than a 19, but not by a whole bunch. you would notice the difference in carrying.

TattooAl
07-12-2011, 08:03
Is the G30 SF not as bulky as the G30 ??

Is the G36 more like the G19? Am I better off just going and holding all of them?

1canvas
07-12-2011, 08:10
yea, you need to get a hands on. last time at the GS was the first time i had my hands on a sf30 and i really liked it. after reading of people having problems with sf models i decided to hold off buying one.

Fastbear
07-12-2011, 08:15

The above combo 30/36 would make an excellant addition to the Glock family when it comes out. Right now with all the summer heat the 36 is a comfortable carry with light clothing. Then looking forward to fall the 30 receives the nod. Either works fine for me just look for excuses to rotate different Glocks out of their resting area.

TattooAl
07-12-2011, 08:20
What kind of problems were the SF models having?

rjkobbeman
07-12-2011, 08:20
Is the G30 SF not as bulky as the G30 ??

Is the G36 more like the G19? Am I better off just going and holding all of them?

For all intents and purposes, the G30, G30SF, G29 and G29SF are exactly the same. The only difference between the "SF" (Short Frame) and non-"SF" models is the backstrap is a little shallower on the "SF" model so the trigger reach is slightly shorter.

Nothing would be noticed in a carry situation.

(The G30 and G29 are the same platform.)

I recently acquired a G29SF and carry it in a Galco "Concealable Belt Holster". This is an OWB holster and was amazed at how well it hid the G29. That holster really holds the gun "high and tight" against your body. I sprung for their good belt and can conceal with simply a loose tee or polo shirt. The Galco holster is a fine looking one too.

rjkobbeman
07-12-2011, 08:26
What kind of problems were the SF models having?

I have both a G20SF and a G29SF. I know of no problems. I shoot just about everything through mine, from mild to wild. I do have an aftermarket barrel, but that would have nothing to do with the "SF" vs non-"SF" models. After seeing both and thinking about the differences, I can't think of any reason there would be issues linked to the SF version. None of the internals are different.

If a guy "shaved" the backstrap down he would have the "SF" version. The new GEN 4s with swappable backstraps accomplish the same thing... so I assume there will be no SF version in GEN 4. (Of course not all models are in GEN 4 yet.)

Taurus851
07-12-2011, 14:03
nothing mechanically different between an SF and non SF model. i don't see why being an SF would cause any potential issues that were not already present with non SF models

beforeobamabans
07-12-2011, 19:14
One issue that hasn't been mentioned is weight. I'll carry my G30SF on occasion in its CBST when I know I'll only need it on for an hour or two. but for all day carry, there is no choice for me: G26 in a Brommeland MCV.

1canvas
07-12-2011, 19:29
nothing mechanically different between an SF and non SF model. i don't see why being an SF would cause any potential issues that were not already present with non SF models

that was my thoughts, i really need to check that out more. if i was to buy one it would have to be an sf model.

BK63
07-13-2011, 18:07
G30 in a CB supertuck most of the time. I can carry that in jean shorts and tshirt no problem and do so a lot in the summer. 45 is my favorite caliber.

Taurus851
07-13-2011, 19:42
G30 in a CB supertuck most of the time. I can carry that in jean shorts and tshirt no problem and do so a lot in the summer. 45 is my favorite caliber.

just curious, what is your height and weight?