Frog Lube for Glocks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Frog Lube for Glocks

Pages : [1] 2

jamaicanj
07-11-2011, 12:49
Checking to see if anyone has experience cleaning or lubing their glocks with frog lube. I have been using militec for lubrication and have been satisfied but recently heard about the "wonders" of frog lube. I am always quick to want the latest and greatest thing but for a change I am going to exercise some patience and get feedback from those that have tried it first before ordering it.

Your input is appreciated

Thanks
J

ptmccain
07-11-2011, 12:57
Oh no, here we go again

Dogguy
07-11-2011, 15:47
Anything that claims to "bond" to metal or to be "absorbed" into the pores of metal sounds gimmicky to me.

TattooAl
07-11-2011, 19:00
Im in to hear feedback as well......

ronin.45
07-11-2011, 23:15
Did the French create a new lube? I hadn't heard.

K1tt3n5
07-11-2011, 23:33
It works, I liked it on my guns and everyone that I've given it to to try has also liked it. I currently use it on my Kimbers and ars.

Bill Lumberg
07-12-2011, 08:36
It's adequate, as is any other commonly available oil.

guns54
07-12-2011, 09:00
Your very right, Have a safe day.

ghostwn
07-18-2011, 22:36
Frog Lube is great. When Glock came on the market, who knew how great the pistol was going to be. Time will tell....:whistling:

owtlaw
07-18-2011, 23:24
I see no reason to lube frogs.

scorpio2011
07-18-2011, 23:39
heard of the stuff its organic with a sweet candy smell
some swear by it
http://www.froglube.com/testimonials.htm

21Carrier
07-19-2011, 01:31
Looks like pretty cool stuff, and I usually don't fall for marketing. Go to their website and watch the videos. The last 3-4 videos are corrosion testing which are really cool. The guy compared Frog Lube to Hoppe's #9, TW25B, Break Free, Otis or something, and maybe one or two others. It does REALLY well to stop corrosion, and clean off surface rust. I still wonder about its lubrication properties. I might have to try some.

Go here to see the videos:

http://www.froglube.com/videos.htm

Fedor
07-19-2011, 04:42
I use Slide Glide on all my Handguns.

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/slide-glide.html

fuzzy03cls
07-19-2011, 06:29
Glocks need so little lube, I don't see why anyone would buy some super magical lube for glocks?

emore
07-19-2011, 06:41
I've just ordered some. I'll give it a go, not that a Glock needs that much lube. I have some other guns that very much need the best lube they can get, so I'm hoping it will make their lives easier. I'm also interested in trying it on the connector to see if it outperforms the moly lube that I've had good success with.

redbaron007
07-19-2011, 07:12
For a Glock pistol, it may be over kill since their requirement for lube is minimal. However, for those weapons that are in need of good lube, it may not be a bad thing to try. I wouldn't waste money on it for a Glock, IMHO.

:wavey:

red

FyreCalG17
07-19-2011, 10:38
I'm all for a quality lubricant and rust inhibitor, but come on guys. What's the big deal about cleaning a gun. Heck I LOVE field stripping my guns and cleaning them. Sitting at the table cleaning my weapon on top of my cleaning mat is hog heaven! Sometimes after dry firing I'll take the silicon cloth to my Glock just because I've got fingerprints on it.
I've got a Remington 870 Wingmaster that I've dragged through the mud while duck and goose hunting for 35 years and it still looks new. I guess growing up hunting in adverse conditions taught me the value of taking care of a weapon.
So although I can appreciate a quality gun lubricant, there's just no substitute for good ol' elbow grease.

21Carrier
07-19-2011, 11:07
I think it might be perfect for Glocks. Now, I am usually first to call BS on advertising nonsense, and this stuff has a good chance of being yet another clever way to separate us from our money, but if it works at all like it says, it would be ideal for Glocks. What I mean is that you are supposed to "season" the metal with it, like you would an iron skillet or Dutch oven. It's like you allow it to penetrate a little, then wipe it off. I imagine it would just leave a very thin layer. It would seem like it's the best medium between running the gun "dry" or "wet". You could still have lubricant at all contact points, but not enough "wetness" to attract fouling and dirt.

I KNOW that some "magical" lubricant is not necessary for Glocks, but it would be nice to be able to lubricate more of the pistol without it being "wet". There are many wear points on my Glocks that are supposed to be dry (like the 45* lower sides of the barrel, next to the lugs, which rub and show wear). It would allow you to lubricate that area without the detrimental effects of a "wet" oil.

ashecht
07-19-2011, 11:14
took some advice from fellow GT'rs a few months back. bought myself a quart of Mobil 1 10W30 and filled a syringe. I have cleaned my 4 guns about 5 or 6 times since then, havent even used half the syringe. I have enough lube for about 10 years for about 8 bucks. I have not had a single problem with any of the 4 since I switched to Mobil 1

JBP55
07-19-2011, 11:26
Weapon Shield CLP for cleaning and Mobil 1 20W50 for lubricating.

ghostwn
07-19-2011, 13:44
took some advice from fellow GT'rs a few months back. bought myself a quart of Mobil 1 10W30 and filled a syringe. I have cleaned my 4 guns about 5 or 6 times since then, havent even used half the syringe. I have enough lube for about 10 years for about 8 bucks. I have not had a single problem with any of the 4 since I switched to Mobil 1

Mobil 1, which by the way is a great oil, is for vehciles. Since Frog lube was made for weapons, and since Glocks don't have a engine, I'll stay with Frog lube. It's environmental friendly.

BIG-DOG
07-26-2011, 20:50
I use Weapon Shield for most of my guns with a little Gun butter on my 1911 rails. Although I think ballistol is perfect for use on Glocks

hddave
07-26-2011, 20:52
Oh no, here we go again

Weekly frog lube thread!

69Charger
07-26-2011, 20:55
I'm one of them Mobil 1 10-30 lube jobers. On every dang semi auto I own.
Just how the he-- do you get the lube out of a frog anyway?
Dave

jamaicanj
09-04-2011, 23:24
Anyone else tried it?

21Carrier
09-05-2011, 00:38
Anyone else tried it?

I bought it because of this thread you started. I LOVE it. I will never buy anything else. Here is my thread/review:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362039

I owe you thanks. I had never heard of it until you started this thread a while back. I absolutely love it.

09crue
09-05-2011, 05:51
same here,no failures at all while using Mobil 1..good stuff

RailGun
09-09-2011, 19:32
I was a Hoppes / Casey Gun Scrubber / M-Pro7 guy and they worked very well for me BUT the smell of this stuff after 20 years was just getting to me.

I tried the Frog Lube as per the instructions and find (after 3 treatments / cleanings) I get as good a clean / protection as my old regimen BUT no more petrochemical smell. Hell the stuff even claims to be good for the hands.

Even if it is no better than the "standards" the smell does it for me (and wifey is happier now, my birthday is coming up in Nov and she said go get you a birthday present for not stinking up the house :wow: )

K1tt3n5
09-09-2011, 19:34
It's still working for me, my sig and xd as love it. I haven't cleaned my glocks in a long while and they're still working fine.

Bill Star
09-09-2011, 22:30
I use Mobil 1 for lube.

When the major Airlines quit using Mobil 1 and start using Frog Oil

I'll switch.

bowerman
09-09-2011, 23:21
A few months ago, my local gun shop gave me a small bottle to sample. After reading this thread i finally tried it. Love the stuff. Gun was easy to clean after shooting and I don't have a headache after cleaning my glock! So far so good. lol at all the mobile 1 comments. Guns are not engines lol, but if it works for you, go for it!

English
09-10-2011, 03:17
I use Mobil 1 for lube.

I'll switch.

Milking the frogs and then extracting the oil is time and labour intensive. The volume to meet the needs of airlines is just not attainable.

English

AustinTx
09-10-2011, 04:59
Milking the frogs and then extracting the oil is time and labour intensive. The volume to meet the needs of airlines is just not attainable.

English

You weren't supposed to mention that.

My spell check says, "labour" is misspelled, but it looks right to me.

:snoopy:

Glockfelty
09-10-2011, 08:14
:deadhorse:

ghostwn
09-10-2011, 11:19
I use Mobil 1 for lube.

I'll switch.

By that time, your weapon will wear out, and you won't need frog lube. Use it now and your weapon will outlive the major airlines...:supergrin:

21Carrier
09-10-2011, 11:46
I just found out that Frog Lube's claim about the metal absorbing the lube is TRUE! The other day when I was doing my DIY trigger modification, I needed to bend the trigger safety cam on the trigger bar. In order to bend it, you have to heat it with a torch. Well, I didn't heat it enough, and it snapped, but after I broke it, I noticed the little dent in the trigger bar was full of liquid Frog Lube. Even though the bar had been totally wiped dry and handled for about 30 minutes, the lube seeped out. When I saw it, I had to take a picture. Look at the red circled part. They say that the metal absorbs it, and it is released when heated. It looks to be true.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_1636-1-1.jpg

loneeagle
09-10-2011, 11:57
I just found out that Frog Lube's claim about the metal absorbing the lube is TRUE! The other day when I was doing my DIY trigger modification, I needed to bend the trigger safety cam on the trigger bar. In order to bend it, you have to heat it with a torch. Well, I didn't heat it enough, and it snapped, but after I broke it, I noticed the little dent in the trigger bar was full of liquid Frog Lube. Even though the bar had been totally wiped dry and handled for about 30 minutes, the lube seeped out. When I saw it, I had to take a picture. Look at the red circled part. They say that the metal absorbs it, and it is released when heated. It looks to be true.

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h329/21Carrier/IMG_1636-1-1.jpg

Just curious where do you get your frog lube from would like to try some for sure.

21Carrier
09-10-2011, 12:04
Just curious where do you get your frog lube from would like to try some for sure.

I ordered mine from Amazon. I think they just took my money, but the actual product was shipped from this place called PU Products. You can Google PU Products Frog Lube and find the site. I got the $26 dollar kit that comes with a 4oz. bottle of liquid FL, a 4oz. tub of paste FL, an application brush, and a big microfiber towel.

loneeagle
09-10-2011, 12:15
I ordered mine from Amazon. I think they just took my money, but the actual product was shipped from this place called PU Products. You can Google PU Products Frog Lube and find the site. I got the $26 dollar kit that comes with a 4oz. bottle of liquid FL, a 4oz. tub of paste FL, an application brush, and a big microfiber towel.

Cool thanks I ask about it the other day and a local fun shop and they looked at me like I just got out of the looney hospital :supergrin: they said you are joking right frog lube and of course I got all the frog jokes along with it.

IT0
09-10-2011, 12:39
I got it and I love it.

It smells like peppermint.

Clean up after use is a breeze and after you are done cleaning and oiling, you just rub your hands together or on your leather holster and it condition the leather too. I also like that I don't smell like chemicals after I get done cleaning.

After a couple of trips to the range it seems to work better, but the literature said that it would work better after use.

Just like a frying pan, yes metal can be seasoned or hold some lubricant and that is what Froglube claims to do. I don't really know how this works I am not metallurgist but it seems to hold the oil quite well.

If you like breakdown and clean up this stuff is a dream, after a detail strip everything wiped down clean with nothing more than a little paste and a rag.

If you just do a filed strip to clean it works about the same, a little paste and a rag cleans up everything.

For my glocks it really makes the finish look black, an the polymer lower black and clean, but there is no noticeable difference in shooting performance.

However for my 1911, WOW the Froglube made it feel like a new gun and it is VERY smooth, with a noticeable performance improvement.

The biggest difference I noticed with my ARs, they function flawlessly and smooth as glass, and the clean up time with a full detail strip is a dream.

The only thing I have not seen is how well it works on copper fouling. I just have not shot enough since using it to have an opinion on that part.

For $25 on Amazon, its worth a try. The small pack of past and lube is good for the initial application of about (1) AR (2) 1911 and (6) Glocks with some to spare for future cleaning.

arushus
09-10-2011, 13:10
Does anyone use this INSIDE the barrel also?

emore
09-10-2011, 15:01

I've read where several folks strongly recommend using it inside the barrel. I just applied some to a Ruger Mk. 1 by soaking a Bore Snake in the stuff and running it through a time or two. We'll see if it does any good when it comes time to clean again.

C J
09-10-2011, 16:20
I watched the on-line videos. Thought about it myself. For now I go with Tetra in & out. I put just alittle Slide-Glide in a few spots. Keep reading about Mobil-1 though. That's great engine oil. I guess it would work. Why wouldn't it?

IT0
09-10-2011, 16:51

Yes I do, it seems to make it easier to clean after shooting. I just put some on a swab then run it through the barrel.

Mobil-1 is a great product too. Its basically synthetic oil and is what I was using before the Frog experiment. If the Frog does not perform in the long run, then I will switch back to Mobil-1

amazon
09-10-2011, 18:20
I just started using it a few weeks ago. So far so good. For me the biggest plus is how well I clean up afterwards and not having to open window while cleaning. It makes a quick clean up easy.

I used it also to clean up a model 41 that was pretty lead fouled. Needed a bore brush, but got the job done. The 41 looks essentially brand new. Without feeling like it's been soaked in oil.

I do use it in the bore. Too soon to tell if long term that's enough.

Vartarg
09-10-2011, 18:25
Like so many of you, I have a little bit of every thing including Frog Lube. It's good but more often than not I reach for the Eezox.

tmcglasson36
09-10-2011, 18:54
I just ordered some we will see! I read the other reviews and sounds interesting!

Bar.9
09-10-2011, 19:14
and it snapped, but after I broke it, I noticed the little dent in the trigger bar was full of liquid Frog Lube.

That's trigger blood :tongueout: I demand DNA analysis!

tonyparson
09-10-2011, 19:35
You can get the kit here for $22.00 with free shipping
http://www.******tactical.com/froglubeflkit.html

21Carrier
09-10-2011, 19:42
I use it in the barrel, and everywhere else. They CLAIM you can see velocity differences. If I would have known that before I started using it, I would have tested it with my chronograph. It may be BS. However, it makes cleaning a WHOLE lot easier. I never have to use the bronze brushes on my G29 anymore. I still use them with the .45ACP G21SF, but I think that's due to the low pressure causing my Unique powder not to burn fully. It is really dirty. However, even with it, it comes clean much easier.

kashdaddy
09-10-2011, 19:50
i use KY Jelly on my glock - lol

tonyxcom
09-10-2011, 21:09
You can get the kit here for $22.00 with free shipping
http://www.******tactical.com/froglubeflkit.html

I had a kit on backorder for over a week but just got it today. So they should currently have stock. Hurry and order. They probably sell out everytime an old Frog Lube thread gets bumped.

Was going to go the Amazon route but after shipping its almost $35. Besides, my Glock is brand new, so I could wait.

Tiro Fijo
09-10-2011, 22:56
I am in the wrong line of work. :upeyes: There is not ONE shred of objective scientific data that this stuff works. A big clue is that there is NO patent. The company refuses to give any scientific data or show any peer reviewed study. IMO, it's pure snake oil.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=441101

tonyxcom
09-10-2011, 23:01
It works as a cleaner and lubricant and isn't toxic. Thats probably enough for most of us.

bowerman
09-11-2011, 00:11
I am in the wrong line of work. :upeyes: There is not ONE shred of objective scientific data that this stuff works. A big clue is that there is NO patent. The company refuses to give any scientific data or show any peer reviewed study. IMO, it's pure snake oil.

It cleans, oils, and does not smell like hell. Good enough for me. :whistling:

English
09-11-2011, 04:05
You weren't supposed to mention that.

My spell check says, "labour" is misspelled, but it looks right to me.

:snoopy:

It's one of those oddities between English English and American English. The logic of the American version seems better but there might be some sound historical liguistic reason for the English version.

English

21Carrier
09-11-2011, 04:23

That's ridiculous. We aren't talking about BPW here, or DNA analysis. I didn't know peer reviewed studies were required for lubricants to work. The guy has the MSDS sheets posted on his site, which is more than you can say for many, and it has been tested in magazines, and in at least one, got ranked first.

There's always gonna be a doubter in the bunch, and I am usually it, but this stuff works, plain and simple. I am usually the FIRST to call BS on marketing hype, and I have always just used Mobil1 or cheap Hoppe's. I tried the Frog Lube because I had money burning a hole in my pocket, and it looked interesting. This is THE FIRST gun lube, cleaner, or protectant that I have bought outside of WalMart (in almost 3 years of shooting), so it's not like I'm one of these guys that always has to have the newest, coolest thing.

The main reason I tried it was that my trigger felt like crap with Mobil1. I noticed that it was a little smoother with Hoppe's, and MUCH smoother when dirty. I hoped it would help the trigger feel, but if not, no big deal. I swear on my life, it made my trigger feel MUCH better. I have no reason to lie. I have no stake in the company, and I'm big enough to admit when I get duped. Hell, if it didn't work like it was supposed to, I'd be bashing it here.

Cleaning is MUCH easier. So much so that I no longer have to use a bronze brush in my G29, when I used to have to scrub the hell out of it with a bronze brush and Hoppe's No.9. That alone is worth it to me. I no longer get copper fouling. It's just not there. I used to have to scrub it out with copper solvent (Hoppe's No.9), but it no longer happens. When I use the paste in the rails, my Glocks no longer make that characteristic "screech" noise when you rack the slide. The barrel turns "wet" when it heats up after firing, when it was previously dry. And best of all, it doesn't stink (no more girlfriend *****ing), I don't get woozy while cleaning my gun, and it's not toxic. I didn't care one bit about the smell/non-toxic nature when I ordered it. In fact, in my review of FL, I said something like, "I wouldn't care if it melted my fingernails as long as it works". But after using it, the smell and non-toxicity is a HUGE bonus.

Call it snake oil all you want, but it works MUCH better than the few things I've used before it. I TOTALLY understand that any old crap is more than capable of adequately lubricating a Glock, but this stuff is great. It really is.

ken grant
09-11-2011, 07:32
I like the Frog Lube and thought I would try something with it.
I am hardhead that shoots home cast bullets in my .40 and 45 pistols.

I use wheel weights in 6 cav. Lee molds,unsized and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. After a couple of hundred rds. I find just a little leading but it is fairly easy to remove.

I took my G21 barrel and cleaned it with alcohol, put it under a light bulb and heated it. Then coated it inside and out with F.L. paste and put back under the light bulb and let it heat awhile.
I removed it,let cool and wiped down inside and out. The next day I repeated the above except for the alcohol.

Then to the range to shoot a couple of hundred rds. Ran a patch through the barrel at the range and then looked but didn't see any leading at all.

I know that sometimes you can't see the leading so I laid a sheet of paper under the barrel and ran a ChoreBoy wrapped brush through the barrel. I did get a couple of flakes of lead but nothing like before I treated the barrel with F.L.

Next up will be my G23 to try the same.

IT0
09-11-2011, 08:04

Have you tried it? Because if you have not and after making this statement you are guilty of the same hearsay you accuse them of....just say'n...

My GUESS is that this is a patented product and they don't hold the patent and are just re-branding it at a nice if not huge profit.

Sort of how Mineral Spirits which sell for $8 a gallon can also be bought as Zippo lighter fluid in an 8 oz can for the same price.

ricklee4570
09-11-2011, 10:05
I have only applied Frog Lube to the slide of my Glock. Usually I use Break Free CLP and it leaves it with that wet look, shiney and slick. I applied Frog Lube as per the directions. When I was done I couldn't even tell that I applied anything. The slide was dull and dry, fingerprints showed easily and it wasnt any slicker than the untreated Glock slide.

Maybe Frog Lube doesn't work on steel that is coated with a finish? Maybe it only works on steel that is uncoated?

AWGD8
09-11-2011, 10:26
Frog Lube + Dremel with non abrasive polisher cloth = Satin smooth metal you`ll ever feel.

It does work!

Here is how I FrogLube my Glock: Make sure you know all the metal spots that need to be polished on the .25 cents trigger job.

- Remember all the .25 cents spots that need to be polished on the connector , trigger assembly , connector and some parts on the slide. (End of firing pin safety etc.)

- I Dremel those spots using a non abrasive black brush.

- Then I grab a hair blower and heat the metal until it get`s HOT to the touch.

- Put 2 or 3 drops of Froglube in a q-tip. Then apply it on those connector spots ETC...

- Then grab the Dremel again and change the brush to a polishing cloth (non abrasive type) and start polishing those spots again.

- Then grab a hair blower to heat it up and polish again.

- Once you think it is smooth (I bet it will be satin smooth) then just get a clean q-tip and put a drop of Froglube and damp those spots (Just enough to wet it a bit) and assemble them.

When finished, you need to grab an aspirin bottle (If allergic, get an ibuprofen) bec. it will take awhile to relieve that pain coming from the side of your jaw and mouth due to severe

" Grin Syndrome " from Frog lube.... =)

ken grant
09-11-2011, 11:03
Follow up on my above post about Frog Lube and cast bullets in my G21.

Went to the range again today and to shoot 150 rds. of my cast bullets after my first trial with F.L.. I cleaned with F.L. before I went but did not use any heat.

No leading whatsoever. I ran patches, bore brush and bore brush wrapped in Chore Boy while holding the barrel over a white sheet of paper.

I am sold on this stuff. First time ever shooting my cast bullets in a Glock and have no leading at all.:supergrin:

21Carrier
09-11-2011, 15:16
I have only applied Frog Lube to the slide of my Glock. Usually I use Break Free CLP and it leaves it with that wet look, shiney and slick. I applied Frog Lube as per the directions. When I was done I couldn't even tell that I applied anything. The slide was dull and dry, fingerprints showed easily and it wasnt any slicker than the untreated Glock slide.

Maybe Frog Lube doesn't work on steel that is coated with a finish? Maybe it only works on steel that is uncoated?

Mine does the same thing on my G29, which still has the stock Glock finish. However, once you start shooting it, and it warms up, it turns really slick, and it cleans up really well. The semi-polished slide on my G21SF is not like that, I'm guessing because it's polished. It stays slick. Also, my barrel and other parts stay slick. I think it's just the finish, but it doesn't matter since it gets slick as soon as the thing warms up. I think it just FEELS different on top of the finish, but it still works fine.

Follow up on my above post about Frog Lube and cast bullets in my G21.

Went to the range again today and to shoot 150 rds. of my cast bullets after my first trial with F.L.. I cleaned with F.L. before I went but did not use any heat.

No leading whatsoever. I ran patches, bore brush and bore brush wrapped in Chore Boy while holding the barrel over a white sheet of paper.

I am sold on this stuff. First time ever shooting my cast bullets in a Glock and have no leading at all.:supergrin:

That's awesome. After reading that, I have to imagine that it really is helping velocities. If leading is not happening, that HAS to be cutting down on friction. I might have to try and get the Frog Lube out of my barrel and test this velocity claim.

AustinTx
09-11-2011, 21:45
Have you tried it? Because if you have not and after making this statement you are guilty of the same hearsay you accuse them of....just say'n...

My GUESS is that this is a patented product and they don't hold the patent and are just re-branding it at a nice if not huge profit.

Sort of how Mineral Spirits which sell for $8 a gallon can also be bought as Zippo lighter fluid in an 8 oz can for the same price.

I don't think it's patented. If it were, they would need to reveal the contents, I would assume. Maybe so, maybe not.

It may be great stuff, but I'm not paying that sort of price for gun cleaner? lubricant? or frog lube?

IT0
09-12-2011, 06:08
I don't think it's patented. If it were, they would need to reveal the contents, I would assume. Maybe so, maybe not.

It may be great stuff, but I'm not paying that sort of price for gun cleaner? lubricant? or frog lube?

Yeah, its hard to beat a gallon of mineral spirits and a quart of Mobil-1 in price.

The only problems I had, were the solvents, (be it kerosene or mineral spirits based), were rough on my skin and the fumes were killing me. I also don't like smelling like a grease monkey.

Sippo
09-12-2011, 06:46
That's ridiculous. We aren't talking about BPW here, or DNA analysis. I didn't know peer reviewed studies were required for lubricants to work. The guy has the MSDS sheets posted on his site, which is more than you can say for many, and it has been tested in magazines, and in at least one, got ranked first.

There's always gonna be a doubter in the bunch, and I am usually it, but this stuff works, plain and simple. I am usually the FIRST to call BS on marketing hype, and I have always just used Mobil1 or cheap Hoppe's. I tried the Frog Lube because I had money burning a hole in my pocket, and it looked interesting. This is THE FIRST gun lube, cleaner, or protectant that I have bought outside of WalMart (in almost 3 years of shooting), so it's not like I'm one of these guys that always has to have the newest, coolest thing.

The main reason I tried it was that my trigger felt like crap with Mobil1. I noticed that it was a little smoother with Hoppe's, and MUCH smoother when dirty. I hoped it would help the trigger feel, but if not, no big deal. I swear on my life, it made my trigger feel MUCH better. I have no reason to lie. I have no stake in the company, and I'm big enough to admit when I get duped. Hell, if it didn't work like it was supposed to, I'd be bashing it here.

Cleaning is MUCH easier. So much so that I no longer have to use a bronze brush in my G29, when I used to have to scrub the hell out of it with a bronze brush and Hoppe's No.9. That alone is worth it to me. I no longer get copper fouling. It's just not there. I used to have to scrub it out with copper solvent (Hoppe's No.9), but it no longer happens. When I use the paste in the rails, my Glocks no longer make that characteristic "screech" noise when you rack the slide. The barrel turns "wet" when it heats up after firing, when it was previously dry. And best of all, it doesn't stink (no more girlfriend *****ing), I don't get woozy while cleaning my gun, and it's not toxic. I didn't care one bit about the smell/non-toxic nature when I ordered it. In fact, in my review of FL, I said something like, "I wouldn't care if it melted my fingernails as long as it works". But after using it, the smell and non-toxicity is a HUGE bonus.

Call it snake oil all you want, but it works MUCH better than the few things I've used before it. I TOTALLY understand that any old crap is more than capable of adequately lubricating a Glock, but this stuff is great. It really is.

I've used it for the past month and put 300-400- rounds throuth my Gen 4 G19. (BTW, no malfunctions to report) Clean up consists of simply wiping fouled parts with a rag and reapplying a little FL until everything wipes clean. I've been pushing the paste throught the bore while its still warm from firing, passing a nylon brush several times, and wiping the bore clean with a patch.
The stuff seems to work.
There's a box of CLP's, lub's, and cleaners sitting on the bench going unused (next to my holster box). I'm using my Hoppe's Elite and M-Pro Cleaners now to clean my nylon brushes.

21Carrier
09-12-2011, 22:43
As soon as I get my G20LS finished, I'm going to test the velocity claim that Frog Lube makes. I don't care if it adds velocity or not, I'll never stop using it, I just like testing things. I will clean the bore as I used to (Hoppe's No.9, then run patches til dry), fire some shots, then clean and treat with Frog Lube (in the field). Then I will retest the same load for velocity difference. I will let you guys know if it works.

ricklee4570
09-13-2011, 03:46
Everyone reports that when the steel heats up it releases the frog lube and you can see the metal parts get wet. So when you treat your barrel, is that a good thing that as you shoot it is making the bore wet? I thought it was always best to keep the bore dry.

Glockphobia
09-13-2011, 04:08
im waiting on the "Whats the proper weight Mobile1 for my g19" thread.

21Carrier
09-13-2011, 04:49
Everyone reports that when the steel heats up it releases the frog lube and you can see the metal parts get wet. So when you treat your barrel, is that a good thing that as you shoot it is making the bore wet? I thought it was always best to keep the bore dry.

It's not like ounces of the stuff seep out, just enough to make the surface look wet. While firing it would continually get wiped out. Like I said, I'm gonna test the velocity claim thing, but I can tell you my bore has never been so easy to clean.

im waiting on the "Whats the proper weight Mobile1 for my g19" thread.

I tried Mobil1 for several months. I used 5W-20, which is what goes in my Mustang. It made my trigger feel like crap. That's the whole reason I gave Frog Lube a try. I think the heavier weights would work better. Maybe 20W-50.

drcohen
09-13-2011, 08:15
Be weary of claims without validation. They should provide what is required by law ... like a Material Safety Data Sheet that identifies what's in it to verify that it's safe.

Also, how about certified third-party test data to validate what the salesman claims about corrosion performance, etc.?

If they won't or can't produce that, ask why.

Tiro Fijo
09-13-2011, 15:08
...Also, how about certified third-party test data to validate what the salesman claims about corrosion performance, etc.?

The company refuses to do that. That in itself is reason enough to avoid it. Gunzilla made the same claims and IMO it's crap.

Sucker born every minute. :wavey:

21Carrier
09-13-2011, 16:00
Be weary of claims without validation. They should provide what is required by law ... like a Material Safety Data Sheet that identifies what's in it to verify that it's safe.

Also, how about certified third-party test data to validate what the salesman claims about corrosion performance, etc.?

The company refuses to do that. That in itself is reason enough to avoid it. Gunzilla made the same claims and IMO it's crap.

Sucker born every minute. :wavey:

Go to their website, they DO provide an MSDS. In fact, they are one of the FEW companies that post the MSDS right on their website.

My only guess as to why they haven't had a third party certification of corrosion performance is that it's a small company, and such a test would no doubt be expensive.

You guys can doubt it all you want, but it really does work. Have any of you doubters noticed the OVERWHELMING majority of GOOD reviews? Have you noticed that there are NO bad reviews of this stuff on this entire thread? Why is it so hard to believe it works? With the countless variations and combinations of chemicals out there, is it SO hard to believe that one would be better than the rest?

Would anyone like to SEE a demonstration of it's corrosion resistance properties? I think it would be fun to do one. I'll see if I can gather up several popular types of gun lubes and I'll test them on some steel. I'll make a video of it. I have Mobil1, Hoppe's, and Frog Lube right now. I'll start buying small bottles of other stuff. Once I get several, I'll do a test on some bare steel. Give me suggestions for brands that you would like to see tested, and I'll get them. I would like to limit it to about 7-8, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but I think it would benefit all of us.

LEAD
09-13-2011, 16:22
I've used it and found it cleans and lubes well, is very rust resistant, more so than most of thier competition. Its safe for your skin and washes off with dish soap but not straight water, and the smell is not bad as most. Made the slide of my well worn 226 look great. It also made my _______ HUGE and people say my name at parties...

Seriously though, I will be using it on all my guns that are exposed to the elements regularly.

GaryC
09-13-2011, 16:24
Go to their website, they DO provide an MSDS. In fact, they are one of the FEW companies that post the MSDS right on their website.

My only guess as to why they haven't had a third party certification of corrosion performance is that it's a small company, and such a test would no doubt be expensive.

You guys can doubt it all you want, but it really does work. Have any of you doubters noticed the OVERWHELMING majority of GOOD reviews? Have you noticed that there are NO bad reviews of this stuff on this entire thread? Why is it so hard to believe it works? With the countless variations and combinations of chemicals out there, is it SO hard to believe that one would be better than the rest?

Would anyone like to SEE a demonstration of it's corrosion resistance properties? I think it would be fun to do one. I'll see if I can gather up several popular types of gun lubes and I'll test them on some steel. I'll make a video of it. I have Mobil1, Hoppe's, and Frog Lube right now. I'll start buying small bottles of other stuff. Once I get several, I'll do a test on some bare steel. Give me suggestions for brands that you would like to see tested, and I'll get them. I would like to limit it to about 7-8, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but I think it would benefit all of us.

I would like to see Weapon Shield CLP and Mil-Comm TW25B included in the test.

.45Super-Man
09-13-2011, 16:30
Anything that claims to "bond" to metal or to be "absorbed" into the pores of metal sounds gimmicky to me.

If the pores of the metal "opened up" at such low temps dont think I'd want it.

drcohen
09-13-2011, 17:49
I am sorry, but if you go see their MSDS, which can be found in the "pressroom" page, it is filled with fields that are mostly answered "n/a" and is invalid.

Anyone has the right to introduce a product, but they have a responsibility to the consumer and to the government what they are selling. These products are deemed HAZARDOUS until proven otherwise.

You can not ship lubricants and solvents with FEDEX, UPS or the U.S. Postal Service without proper disclosure

ANY OF YOU should want to know what you are touching, and that you have peace of mind that there is a company behind it, with a physical address, with a chemical engineer or staff, with products registered with a Hazardous Materials Hotline that can be there for you.

If you look at the Break-Free CLP label, or Hoppes's etc., consumer products must be properly marked, and provide required disclosure. Don't just go by what some fella at a gun range in the desert says.

And the SigSauer "partner" logo is fraudulent as well. Ask SigSauer. Maybe the product is good, but they need to be responsible.

gunslash
09-13-2011, 18:23
I don't know, I just keep it simple - basic, cheap CLP/BreakFree equivalent works just fine on a Glock. I guess I might see some difference if I attempt to fire 10k rounds in a row, go scuba diving, throw my glock in a can of chlorox bleach, poor sand in the barrel and then shoot some more...but I doubt I'll ever do that ;)

IT0
09-13-2011, 18:41
Did some home work... and found out the mint smell is methyl salicylate, or oil of wintergreen which is used as a high grade industrial lubricant and penetrating oil among other things.

Turns out this stuff can be found on Navy ships in the infirmary.

FyreCalG17
09-13-2011, 20:24
Oh no, here we go again

Aw come on, be nice. Maybe he didn't see the other posts about Frog Lube.

:deadhorse:

sigchaser723
09-13-2011, 21:27
And the SigSauer "partner" logo is fraudulent as well. Ask SigSauer. Maybe the product is good, but they need to be responsible.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got mine from Sig Sauer Academy where all of the instructors I spoke with (5 if memory serves) said its all they use now. They are recommending the product. I don't know what your idea of "partner" is but to me if they stock it and endorse it then they are on board.

ricklee4570
09-14-2011, 03:09
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got mine from Sig Sauer Academy where all of the instructors I spoke with (5 if memory serves) said its all they use now. They are recommending the product. I don't know what your idea of "partner" is but to me if they stock it and endorse it then they are on board.

That would be the same as if I said several Glock armorers recommended I use "Super Duper Lube" at a Glock armorers class and then I stated that "Glock" recommends "Super Duper Lube".

Sig is not endorsing FrogLube for use on their guns.

silversport
09-14-2011, 05:04
SiG Academy is on their property and it might be like if you went to Smyrna and took the class at GLOCK and they said it's all they use now...so how do you know that SiG Sauer (Exeter) isn't a partner???

Bill

kshutt
09-14-2011, 05:08
I was going to try it until I discovered that you really need to heat the metal up first before the application. Uh...no.

ricklee4570
09-14-2011, 05:43
SiG Academy is on their property and it might be like if you went to Smyrna and took the class at GLOCK and they said it's all they use now...so how do you know that SiG Sauer (Exeter) isn't a partner???

Bill

I called the factory and asked a tech. He stated that they do not use Froglube at the factory. He said that they do not tell their instructors what to recommend.

LEAD
09-14-2011, 07:04
That would be the same as if I said several Glock armorers recommended I use "Super Duper Lube" at a Glock armorers class and then I stated that "Glock" recommends "Super Duper Lube".

Sig is not endorsing FrogLube for use on their guns.

Oh so you spoke to someone at sig... You're full of it

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 07:22
I was going to try it until I discovered that you really need to heat the metal up first before the application. Uh...no.

You don't HAVE TO heat it up. If you apply it, it will get heated while shooting, and go through the heat cycle. However, it takes two seconds with a hair dryer to heat up your gun.

I don't understand why people get so argumentative over this. People get pretty nasty about certain points, even going so far as calling others "suckers" and such. All I can say is the stuff truly works. I would not be using it and praising it if it didn't. I honestly cannot speak to it's anti-corrosion properties YET, but I CAN say that it lubes better than anything I've ever used, and the cleaning is WAY better than anything I've used. My triggers feel much better than when I used Hoppe's or Mobil1 (ESPECIALLY the Mobil1, it made my triggers feel horrible), and when I use the paste in the rails, my guns no longer make that characteristic Glock screech when racking. Plus, it smells good, and feels like lotion.

I also just fully disassembled my reloading press and lubed it up with FL. I actually had forgotten about it and almost used 3 in 1 oil, but then remembered about it. The press feels smooth as glass, and smells good.

I will do a corrosion test in a couple of weeks, when I have the money to just waste buying some other CLPs. I will include (and already have) Hoppe's oil, Hoppe's No.9, Mobil1, Rem Oil, and Frog Lube. Another GT member wants to see Weapon Shield CLP and Mil-Comm TW25B. Are there any other votes? I'm not going to spend a fortune on this stuff, but would like to test some popular ones. I am also open to suggestions as to how to conduct the test. I was thinking bare steel with salt water spray. Any other ideas?

Also, PLEASE help me do this test. If you use one of the lubes I don't have, and would like to see it tested, send me a little bit of it. You could put a little in an eye dropper or something, or send me a nearly empty bottle. Just send me enough to conduct the test. I would really appreciate any help, and it would benefit all of us.

ricklee4570
09-14-2011, 07:28
I called the customer service number late last week and was told that they do not recommend any particular lubricant. I dont know who I talked too as I was actually calling about another question as well. I believe I may have had somebody in sales now that I think about it, possibly not a tech.

So, just for the heck of it I called again just now. This time I talked to someone named James. He did in fact tell me that they do indeed recommend Froglube. I asked if they have tested it and he said that everyone at the "Academy" loves it so they do recommend it for use as a lubricant for Sigs.

I stand corrected. Apparently I got someone that wasnt well informed at Sig the first time. My apologies for my previous misinformed post.

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 07:32
I called the customer service number late last week and was told that they do not recommend any particular lubricant. I dont know who I talked too as I was actually calling about another question as well. I believe I may have had somebody in sales now that I think about it, possibly not a tech.

So, just for the heck of it I called again just now. This time I talked to someone named James. He did in fact tell me that they do indeed recommend Froglube. I asked if they have tested it and he said that everyone at the "Academy" loves it so they do recommend it for use as a lubricant for Sigs.

I stand corrected. Apparently I got someone that wasnt well informed at Sig the first time. My apologies for my previous misinformed post.

Wow! I LOVE this stuff, but had no idea it was "on the radar" so to speak. If Sig is recommending it, that means it may indeed have a bright future. That really makes me happy, because it's a great product. That is yet another plus in its favor.

LEAD
09-14-2011, 07:32
You don't HAVE TO heat it up. If you apply it, it will get heated while shooting, and go through the heat cycle. However, it takes two seconds with a hair dryer to heat up your gun.

I don't understand why people get so argumentative over this. People get pretty nasty about certain points, even going so far as calling others "suckers" and such. All I can say is the stuff truly works. I would not be using it and praising it if it didn't. I honestly cannot speak to it's anti-corrosion properties YET, but I CAN say that it lubes better than anything I've ever used, and the cleaning is WAY better than anything I've used. My triggers feel much better than when I used Hoppe's or Mobil1 (ESPECIALLY the Mobil1, it made my triggers feel horrible), and when I use the paste in the rails, my guns no longer make that characteristic Glock screech when racking. Plus, it smells good, and feels like lotion.

I also just fully disassembled my reloading press and lubed it up with FL. I actually had forgotten about it and almost used 3 in 1 oil, but then remembered about it. The press feels smooth as glass, and smells good.

I will do a corrosion test in a couple of weeks, when I have the money to just waste buying some other CLPs. I will include (and already have) Hoppe's oil, Hoppe's No.9, Mobil1, Rem Oil, and Frog Lube. Another GT member wants to see Weapon Shield CLP and Mil-Comm TW25B. Are there any other votes? I'm not going to spend a fortune on this stuff, but would like to test some popular ones. I am also open to suggestions as to how to conduct the test. I was thinking bare steel with salt water spray. Any other ideas?

Also, PLEASE help me do this test. If you use one of the lubes I don't have, and would like to see it tested, send me a little bit of it. You could put a little in an eye dropper or something, or send me a nearly empty bottle. Just send me enough to conduct the test. I would really appreciate any help, and it would benefit all of us.

Ballistol and M-pro-7 and Automatic TF should be included, I'm pretty sure you can come up with the ATF, if you need wither of the others let me know

LEAD
09-14-2011, 07:35

Its like any other gun company you call, at least a quarter of the employees wont be completely up to speed. I can understand anyones skepticism as Frog Lube is almost a pay on words for Snake Oil, but the stuff does seem to work as claimed.

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 07:35
Ballistol and M-pro-7 and Automatic TF should be included, I'm pretty sure you can come up with the ATF, if you need wither of the others let me know

Ok, when I'm ready to do the test in a couple of weeks, I might ask you to send me a tiny bit if you have some (if I can't find some locally for a decent price). I can get the ATF. I might also try some regular motor oil to compete with the synthetic Mobil1.

ElrodCod
09-14-2011, 07:54
Did some home work... and found out the mint smell is methyl salicylate, or oil of wintergreen which is used as a high grade industrial lubricant and penetrating oil among other things.

Turns out this stuff can be found on Navy ships in the infirmary.

Marvel Mystery Oil.

biggun1911
09-14-2011, 08:04
I read the results of a previous test and the top two were Breakfree and Eezox. They are both a CLP. Eezox came out on top, with Breakfree a close second.

ricklee4570
09-14-2011, 08:21
To those that are using this, which do you use, the liquid or the paste?

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 09:29

I use both. I use the paste when doing the heat treatment, and when cleaning the barrel. I really only use the liquid to lube the gun. However, I have started using the paste for lubing the rails, as I have found it works better there. The liquid is definitely better for the connector/trigger bar interface. It yields a better feeling trigger. Either should be fine for the outside of the barrel, but I use the liquid. I recently used the paste to lube up my reloading press.

Sippo
09-14-2011, 09:36

I use the paste to clean the barrel and bore,then wipe dry. I apply the paste to the connector so I have greater control over placement. I apply paste with a nylon brush for heavier general cleaning.

Come to think of it, I seem to waste more with the liquid formulation. You also have to be sure you shake the liquid before use.

ricklee4570
09-14-2011, 09:50
Does the liquid evaporate or does it stay wet? Im thinking of using it on a 1911 that likes to run wet.

GeorgiaGlocker
09-14-2011, 10:09
I use TW25B. No need to change.

IronRonin
09-14-2011, 10:23
I'm also intrigued by this stuff, however corrosion/rust prevention is one of my biggest concerns and I'm not sure how Froglube stacks up. I currently use and LOVE Eezox, which from the comparison tests I've seen by FAR does the best in this regard. I also like the fact that it is a "dry" lube and performs as advertised for me in my Glocks and Saigas. Since this product has similar claims to Eezox, I would really like seeing them compared. If you can't find any cheap and locally, 21Carrier, (3.99 for 4oz at my shop) lemme know.

Sippo
09-14-2011, 10:35
Does the liquid evaporate or does it stay wet? Im thinking of using it on a 1911 that likes to run wet.

My impression is the liquid stays wet in my Glock. I ran it wet in the slide rails. I don't know if the "wet" residue after firing retains lubricating properties. (but if you believe the implied advertising, this stuff lasted for long periods of time in AR's without malfunctions) Sig's tolerances run tighter, if SigAcademy's implied endorsement means anything.

IronRonin
09-14-2011, 10:43
Ummm...guys, lol, looks like Sig Sauer is seeing someone else :)

http://www.mil-comm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=72

Yup, TW25B is ALSO the official lube of Sig Sauer....and they have MORE logos. Don't tell FrogLube. Also, tw25b claims to bond to metal using super science. and last 10 times longer than OTHER lubes. and the military uses it. and law enforcement. yawn.

haha for what it's worth, here is a vid comparing the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxS0BncR1s

Make up your mind Sig!!! Btw, Eezox beats the pants off these two in regards to rust prevention from what I've seen. Lookie here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

LEAD
09-14-2011, 11:00

Yup, TW25B is ALSO the official lube of Sig Sauer....and they have MORE logos. Don't tell FrogLube. Also, tw25b claims to bond to metal using super science. and last 10 times longer than OTHER lubes. and the military uses it. and law enforcement. yawn.

haha for what it's worth, here is a vid comparing the two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxS0BncR1s

Make up your mind Sig!!! Btw, Eezox beats the pants off these two in regards to rust prevention from what I've seen. Lookie here:

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

They've been shipping guns with TW25 for a while now, but that was from the connection they had before Frog Lube was even around, you may see them ship with frog lube in the future.

So when did you test eezox against Frog Lube?... Your link compares some competitors, but not some of the better ones (weapon shield, M-Pro 7, etc..)

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 11:11

The liquid does not evaporate. Obviously it WILL evaporate (like all oils), but it stays wet for a long time. I shoot my guns at least once a week, but even after a week, it's just as wet as before. The paste sticks right where you put it. When the warmth from your hands hits is (if you use your fingers) it will soften and melt somewhat. Then, as it cools to room temp, it takes a set like grease. As it heats during firing, it will turn liquid again.

tonyparson
09-14-2011, 11:21
The liquid does not evaporate. Obviously it WILL evaporate (like all oils), but it stays wet for a long time. I shoot my guns at least once a week, but even after a week, it's just as wet as before. The paste sticks right where you put it. When the warmth from your hands hits is (if you use your fingers) it will soften and melt somewhat. Then, as it cools to room temp, it takes a set like grease. As it heats during firing, it will turn liquid again.

With it staying wet how does it do when you carry your gun for a longtime in a holster? Does it attract dirt and dust from everyday carrying?

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 11:23
With it staying wet how does it do when you carry your gun for a longtime in a holster? Does it attract dirt and dust from everyday carrying?

Mine doesn't attract much. Plus, the part that I don't take advantage of is that you don't NEED to keep it wet. I always keep the outside of my barrel wet, and the connector/trigger bar junction, but you don't have to with FL. So if dirt is a concern, just keep it dryer. I never notice stuff getting caught in it, but then again, I never go more than a week without shooting and cleaning my guns.

R.T.
09-14-2011, 18:38

Yup, TW25B is ALSO the official lube of Sig Sauer....and they have MORE logos. l (http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html)

Just re-certified as a Sig armorer in June and yes, they were singing the praises of TW25b.

GaryC
09-14-2011, 18:54
I haven't found a CLP that I like, but I do have a one company solution for my C, L & P needs - Mil-Comm :rock:

kshutt
09-14-2011, 20:05

I'm now in the process of eating this post. I ordered it tonight from ******.com at the great price of $22.50 (shipping included) for the kit. I'm really interested to see how it works on my .50 caliber "Bone Collector" muzzleloader. It will be a great test for this type of product. :wavey:

21Carrier
09-14-2011, 22:49
I'm now in the process of eating this post. I ordered it tonight from ******.com at the great price of $22.50 (shipping included) for the kit. I'm really interested to see how it works on my .50 caliber "Bone Collector" muzzleloader. It will be a great test for this type of product. :wavey:

I have no doubt you will be happy. I'm not familiar with the workings or lubrication demands of a muzzle loader, but I have found it to be a superior all around lubricant/protectant. And it's cleaning ability is unmatched. Just give it a fair shake, and apply it like the directions say.

kshutt
09-15-2011, 04:04
I have no doubt you will be happy. I'm not familiar with the workings or lubrication demands of a muzzle loader, but I have found it to be a superior all around lubricant/protectant. And it's cleaning ability is unmatched. Just give it a fair shake, and apply it like the directions say.

Certainly, I will. The "teflon-type" properties have my interest. Even though I shoot Blackhorn 209, and can fire up to 20 shots without cleaning the bore in between shots, anything that has the possibility of making the bore clean-up even easier gets the nod!

Also, when the big guys (like Sig) start endorsing products I likewise take a look. I like innovation! MPro-7, TW25B, and Ballistol are all cutting edge products, in my opinion. I have a feeling that Frog Lube will now have a home in my cleaning kit, as well!

.45Super-Man
09-15-2011, 04:16
Maybe one of these days one of these "wonder lube" mfgr's will prove how good their stuff is by filling up the crankcase of their automobile with it. Of course, finding an automobile worth more than 4-5 qts of the stuff may be a challenge!

sigchaser723
09-15-2011, 05:33
Well when I took my Sig Armorers class in Juky they were saying that frog lube was now their choice.

ricklee4570
09-15-2011, 06:21
How well does Froglube work when you apply it to a coated finish? Like Cerakote or Duracote? These finishes would be smooth and not offer "pores" in the steel for the froglube to penetrate.

I have been thinking about this as well. If the froglube paste dries on the steel, it is in a wax like state. So when the weapon gets hot, isnt it basically just melting into its liquid form? I read posts where people think that the froglube is coming out of the steel itself. I think it is just laying on there and when heat is applied it melts.

IT0
09-15-2011, 10:56
I have an open and very curious mind as well as some disposable income so after reading dozens and dozens of positive reviews and not a single bad one, I decided to give it a try. I mean $24 just not a lot of change for a fun experiment.

As I have already stated repeatedly here and elsewhere this stuff is great for multiple reasons. I still have an open mind so if something better comes along, I will be all over it, but until then Froglube us my CLP.

Look at the posts here, all the negative opinions are from folks who cry fowl without even testing first hand, while the positive opinions are coming from guys who have.

If you have an open mind and a curious nature, give it a shot, you will be pleasantly surprised. If you want to keep bad mouthing a product you have never tried, then wax on, there seems to be a lot of people here with real strong opinions about something they have never even tried. Maybe you can get together and form a club or something and go review other things you have never tried too. Hey what ever floats your boat is fine by me. I am off to go try new things and form my own opinions and don't see any reason to waste any more time in this thread trying to open a closed mind.

It works, I love it and if that peer review is not good enough for you then I cant help that.

bye

ElrodCod
09-15-2011, 13:18
I'm a skeptical of any mojo that requires heating as part of the process.

AWGD8
09-15-2011, 16:09

Why? Metal molecules expand when heat up and easily interact with other metals or chemicals. Without this process, other than electroplating etc.. That electron in the metal is like a pack of people in the rush hour train in Japan and there is no way for another chemical to squeeze in and make a good bond....

21Carrier
09-15-2011, 16:25
Maybe one of these days one of these "wonder lube" mfgr's will prove how good their stuff is by filling up the crankcase of their automobile with it. Of course, finding an automobile worth more than 4-5 qts of the stuff may be a challenge!

No one ever claimed gun oil would work for engines. Engines have entirely different operating conditions than guns. Engines are MUCH more demanding. It is logical that some engine lubricants would be adequate (though not ideal) for gun use. The opposite is not true. A gun lube does not need additive packages to resist breakdown due to gasoline exposure.

How well does Froglube work when you apply it to a coated finish? Like Cerakote or Duracote? These finishes would be smooth and not offer "pores" in the steel for the froglube to penetrate.

I have been thinking about this as well. If the froglube paste dries on the steel, it is in a wax like state. So when the weapon gets hot, isnt it basically just melting into its liquid form? I read posts where people think that the froglube is coming out of the steel itself. I think it is just laying on there and when heat is applied it melts.

You can wipe it dry ten times, and it will still start to "sweat" when it's heated. You might be right that it won't work as well with ceramic coatings, but even they should be somewhat porous. Even if it doesn't work with ceramic coatings, none of the important parts would be ceramic coated. You don't need lube on the outside of the slide. The important parts (barrel, rails, connector, etc.) would not be ceramic coated.

ElrodCod
09-16-2011, 06:54
Why? Metal molecules expand when heat up and easily interact with other metals or chemicals. Without this process, other than electroplating etc.. That electron in the metal is like a pack of people in the rush hour train in Japan and there is no way for another chemical to squeeze in and make a good bond....

Hogwash!

AWGD8
09-16-2011, 17:59
Hogwash!

:rofl:

Metal has pores, our skin has pores. Why do we have to apply warm water in order to wash our face? So that pores open up and soap can reach those pores. Same as metal, those pores expand when heated up and lubricant can seat into those pores and sealed it when heat is gone. =)

SCSU74
09-16-2011, 19:04

we were told multiple times in the academy that mil tec 1 runs better if applied to heated metal and reapplied shortly after firing...

LEAD
09-17-2011, 06:42
Actually most oils should work better on warmer metals for the reasons stated by other posters. Both for to allow the oil to absorb, and to make fouling easier to remove. Some manufacturers like EEZOX and FROGLUBE recommend it despite the simple physics that tells us any treatment would benefit slightly from being applied to hotter metal.

rotjovi
12-28-2011, 19:27
This stuff works great!! I'm now using it on my 2 G23 Gen 3's and the Gen 4. Three to four passes with the nylon bore brush after 200 rounds and the barrel is mirror clean!! My triggers run smooth as hell!! I've now been using it on door hinges, door locks and the track for my sliding glass door. ******tactical.com has the best internet price for the kit. Bought my first kit at Caliber's in Albuquerque. On top of everything else, my fingertips are no longer calloused from the 10+ times a day that I have to poke them for blood sugar tests. As the list goes on, I'll add em' here.

Let the "I've Never Tested The Stuff Complainers" complain all they want. They are the ones missing out on one hell of a product......

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NoComp
12-28-2011, 19:51
I've been using it for 5-6 months now and I've thrown away all my other products.
Once I started using it on my LMT DI AR, and the improvements in lubricity of the BCG Assembly, I'm sold.

I've never heated the parts during application. Just applied and heated the old fashion way, by shooting it. ;)

JustAHack
12-28-2011, 20:40
I've been using Frog Lube for several months now. I bought it primarily for use with 1911s, along with a few other recommended cleaner/lube products. I liked the FL so much I haven't used the others. I really liked Ballistol before I used Frog Lube, but don't like the smell of Ballistol. Frog Lube has a pleasant and very mild wintergreen smell. I tried Frog Lube because I wanted something like Ballistol that was non-toxic, but didn't smell like Ballistol.

The heating up of the parts before application is a bit of a hassle, but it really helps speed cleaning. In fairness, I've only heated parts when using FL; maybe if I had done the same thing with other cleaners (Ballistol, CLP, FP-10, TW25b), it might have improved their cleaning ability too. Most crud just seems to melt off.

On the positive side, FL cleans great, as good as anything I've used, with less effort. Even more so than Ballistol, it does indeed make subsequent cleanings easier. It lubricates great, yet feels dry after application. I'm amazed when I take a supposed "bone dry" 1911 to the range that I haven't cleaned in hundreds of rounds, and after firing off a few magazines and looking with the slide locked back, I can see the FL glistening on the barrel like I just applied it. And in terms of corrosion resistance, it's the best stuff I've used on good tool steel. And it smells nice and is non-toxic. And I can go longer between cleanings.

On the negative side, I still have areas of stubborn carbon buildup on my 1911 frame after shooting a lot of rounds. Specifically areas of the feed ramp and the joint between the feed ramp and the barrel, that have to be scraped off with a brass brush. FL is supposed to prevent this and make it so that I can "just wipe it away", but just hasn't to this point. FL is also very expensive for what it is, even though it goes a long way. And the heating of the parts is a (minor) extra hassle.

So, that's my impression of FL for 1911 use. Overall, I'm pleased and sticking with it. The positives outweigh the negatives.

On Glocks, which have a Tenifer finish and polymer frame, and run drier and run dirtier anyway, FL may be overkill. I may go back to Ballistol for Glocks - just field strip, spray everything down, let it sit, and clean it up. The Tenifer finish on Glocks resists carbon buildup very effectively. I have a 1911 with a ceramic coat that also resists carbon buildup, but FL makes the black ceramic finish look really nice, with a luster to it. The FL also makes the Gen3 Glock slides nice and shiny, without feeling oily. As far as corrosion resistance, the Tenifer finish on the Glocks is already about as good as you can get, FL is overkill.

So, Ballistol gets me 85 - 95% of what Frog Lube gets me (non-toxic, cleans well, lubes well, protects well), for less cost. But I hate the smell. :dunno:

jamaicanj
01-29-2012, 23:02
Anyone else try out froglube lately? Any other updates from those that have had it for some time? Living up to expectations?

ElrodCod
01-30-2012, 07:12
:rofl:

Metal has pores...................................................

Metal isn't porous. Seriously.....no pores, they ain't there. Just because you imagine it doesn't make it so.

IT0
01-30-2012, 10:17
I have been using Froglube for about 5 months now and I love it. It cleans very well, and meets all the lube requirements for a Glock. It is also non-toxic too.

Given how long it lasts, and the price it is one of the cheapest ways to clean and lube a firearm aside from maybe Mobil-1 and Mineral Spirits.

There were some folks here who don't seem to like it but they never tried it either.

Dave Nowlin
01-30-2012, 10:37
I tried milking a frog one time. It didn't work for me. I kept falling off that little stool.

bowerman
01-30-2012, 11:33
Been using it for a while. Works great. Most of the threads either get locked, or filled with stupid frog jokes. Most of the "glock talk commandos" don't like it because it's not what they used "back in the day".

Give it a try.

R.T.
01-30-2012, 16:33
I've been using it for a little while now. I haven't conducted any scientific studies (like I would know how anyway) but it seems to be working well. I certainly haven't noticed any excessive wear and my guns seem to clean easier after use.

robotoid
01-30-2012, 19:44
I bought some and used it on my Ruger MK3 and my Glock 27. Seems to be doing OK so far. I'm thinking I'm going to degrease my Ruger 10/22 and start using it there too.

bowerman
01-31-2012, 01:25
One thing you will notice, is most of the people that say its crap on here have never even tried it.

I love it. All of my guns clean up faster, and function 100%. Seems to lube well. The action is smooth as glass after using it.

Tiro Fijo
01-31-2012, 02:03
One thing you will notice, is most of the people that say its crap on here have read the objective tests and are not gullible fools who believe snake oil sales pitches...

Fixed it for ya. :supergrin: :wavey:

ElrodCod
01-31-2012, 06:55
One thing you will notice, is most of the people that say its crap on here have never even tried it.

I love it. All of my guns clean up faster, and function 100%. Seems to lube well. The action is smooth as glass after using it.

I've tried it. It's crap.

bowerman
01-31-2012, 07:17
I've tried it. It's crap.

Cool story, bro. Plenty of others have tried it and liked it. If you like it, use it. If you don't, don't.

bowerman
01-31-2012, 07:20
Fixed it for ya. :supergrin: :wavey:

LOL. Thank you captain glock talk commando! You really are better than all of us! In the meantime, the rest of us will continue to use the clp of our choice, and give our opinion when asked. But thanks for the insults. Classy!:rofl:

IT0
01-31-2012, 08:08
I wonder when Capt'n Thread Closer will stop by to shut this one down.

bowerman
01-31-2012, 08:36
I would bet by this afternoon lol. oh well.

125K9
01-31-2012, 10:24
[QUOTE=owtlaw;17650686]I see no reason to lube frogs.[/QUOTE

Haven't you ever seen how much farther a freshly oiled frog can jump?:wow:

Bob Hafler
01-31-2012, 13:22
Perhaps I'm missing something here. I thought one of the good things about glocks is they didn't need much lube. just a couple drops. I found that 20 /50 "V" Twin SYN. motoroil works as good on my Glock as it does in my Harley

guns54
01-31-2012, 16:00
My grandson tryed it and didnt care for it.

Mattkcc
02-02-2012, 20:34
Well I tried it and compared it to several other lubes, it did OK but the best was a 20 year old bottle of Outers. I did the nail test like one guy attempted but I followed the products directions. I started with nails and sanded away all oxidation until they were bright, then cleaned with alcohol. I treated one nail each with Frog Lube, Rem Dry Lube, Rem Oil with Teflon, Outers and Win Break Free CLP. I then wrapped them in a damp wash rag and left them in the basement for a couple of days.

#1, Outers was by far the best no rust at all, I was surprised this is some old stuff.

#2, Rem Oil with Teflon and Frog Lube a couple of tiny spots.

#3, Rem Dry Lube considerable rust poor showing, I was surprised I use this a lot, don't
like running guns wet.

#4 Win Break Free CLP nail covered in rust pitting in several spots, it looked like the nail
hadn't been treated.

The Outers was a shocker it came out of one of those cheap gun cleaning kits I bought at Kmart back in the day it's at least twenty to twenty five years old. I was surprised the Rem Dry lube and Win Break Free did so poorly. I would of liked to see Frog Lube on top but at least it tied for second. I'll likely use the Frog Lube on my AR and M1 Carbine and see how it works, but I must admit it's a lot of work to use and if it doesn't do any better then Rem Oil Spray, I probably won't order it again.

Yellowfin
02-06-2012, 22:50
I'm hoping my wife will like it so she won't be repulsed by helping clean guns.

MinnesnowtaWild
02-07-2012, 01:17
I'm looking for something that will stand up to going from 70 degrees in my home to below zero temps during the day in my car while I'm in class and then back to 70 degrees again.

I tried to check this Frog Lube out but the website wasn't working for me. Anyone use Gun Butter??

BIG-DOG
02-07-2012, 05:34
I bought some Frog lube to try out. I can say it works great for a all parked 1911 where you need to constantly keep it oiled for rust prevention. I got tired of detail stripping it every other week and dousing it with oil to keep a protective film on it only to see it dry out in a week. The Frog lube leaves a long lasting protective layer on parked guns and I only reapply a light application about once a month. All I need to do in between is give it a quick wipedown with a rag after use, cleans that easy. As for my Glocks I think I will stick with Weapon Shield as there is just no reason to coat the slide with all that lube. Unlike the 1911 where you want it all juicy when it warms up I wouldn't want all that wet lube getting into the striker channel. It does pretty much what they claim and it is great for cleaning up after a trip to the range. For guns that run better with a lot of lube like my AR15 and 1911 it works great but for a Glock I think all that lube is a little overkill IMO.

Warhammer28
02-07-2012, 12:43
I'm willing to give it a try. I bought Ballistol because it's nontoxic but the more I use it the less I can stand the smell. Hopefully FL will give me a lot of what Ballistol offers with a smell that is not unpleasant.

I recently switched from Hoppes because the smell was getting to harsh and I wanted something nontoxic.

Yellowfin
02-07-2012, 12:45
Has anyone had success with their lady liking FrogLube (No, not that way, you perverts!) better than other stuff?

Warhammer28
02-08-2012, 02:45
From what I've read I think she may like it. It's minty fresh

zachiann
02-08-2012, 09:35
I like it because it is all natural. I prefer simple green cleaner for similar reasons. I dont like solvents on my hands, because it absorbs in the skin in tiny amounts. I always thought that was not an issue until I went to a painting class held by PPG, and they had information showing that laquer thinner could be detected in your urine after using it to clean paint guns without wearing gloves.

And yes, I wash my hands when I am shooting before I take a piss, and after because I dont want lead on my "self" or uring on my glock.....:tongueout: I recently took my girl shooting, and now she asks to go about every other week. How cool is that right??? next step will be to get her to help clean. I am hoping Frog Lube helps me out. I always end up doing dishes, so getting her to help clean guns might take a few sets of fingers being crossed. wish me luck.....lol

gwsanfor
02-08-2012, 14:38
I'm willing to give it a try. I bought Ballistol because it's nontoxic but the more I use it the less I can stand the smell. Hopefully FL will give me a lot of what Ballistol offers with a smell that is not unpleasant.

I recently switched from Hoppes because the smell was getting to harsh and I wanted something nontoxic.
What he said. The wife put a ban on Ballistol in the house, and although I haven't poured out the Hoppes #9, Frog Lube seems to work at least as well as anything else, leaves the gun smelling minty fresh, is non-toxic, and you can rub it on a paper cut. I like it. I slather it on every part, including the lower, let them sit 6" under a halogen light overnight, wipe off, reassemble, done. If I could afford a big enough tub, I'd bathe in it, as I'm sure it's great for dry skin, which I have a lot of.

oldnoob
02-08-2012, 14:47
I have try a bottle of frog lub. It work great and smells good. But I almost never had malfunction before with cheap rem oil. So I'm paying for the smell I guess.

jamaicanj
04-14-2012, 17:57
I finally bought the FL kit. Need to get a moment to try it out

MikeG36
04-14-2012, 19:45
I finally bought the FL kit. Need to get a moment to try it out

Let us know how it works for you. Been thinking about getting some as I live in a moist climate.

G19SHOOTR
04-14-2012, 19:57
Have not put it on my G19-- which only needs a few drops of good oil, but it is simply outstanding on my M4 and P226. I was a skeptic until I tried it.

zibby43
04-14-2012, 20:10
Frog Lube (the liquid) is what I primarily use on both my pistols and AR-15s now. It works, lasts, and smells good.

highpowerman
04-14-2012, 20:14
I have used froglube on my Glocks, Sigs, and Brownings with great success. I highly recommend it!

MikeG36
04-14-2012, 20:22
Have not put it on my G19-- which only needs a few drops of good oil, but it is simply outstanding on my M4 and P226. I was a skeptic until I tried it.

Thanks for the post. I want it for my Sig also. (P228) Good to hear it's working for you.

MikeG36
04-14-2012, 20:24
Frog Lube (the liquid) is what I primarily use on both my pistols and AR-15s now. It works, lasts, and smells good.

Smells good...... My interests are piqued.

MikeG36
04-14-2012, 20:25
I have used froglube on my Glocks, Sigs, and Brownings with great success. I highly recommend it!

Thanks for the endorsement hpman.

bcj128
04-14-2012, 20:42
I also have switched over entirely to Frog Lube. My department is doing all our shotguns with it for the salt water environment.

The Lance
04-14-2012, 21:14
I lube my gun with synthetic royal purple.. worked fine for me for years..

yiby4n
04-15-2012, 22:39
...you won't regret it. Frog Lube is all I use now. I'm skeptical about the molecular soak-in theory, but it does interact with the metal components in some particular way that makes it very effective. I've used it exclusively on my Gen 4 19, 23 & 26 and they've run perfectly.

Jake Starr
04-16-2012, 05:55
For my Glocks, I use Lucas gun oil. Simply because we stock in our gunshop and it is great stuff.

I first tried FL last year on my carry gun, a WG Sig 228. Original Sigs were called "Soak In Grease" because their finish was not so tough. Mine has LOTS of wear...so I wanted to see how it would do for suface rust. I use an IWB and during the summer I can sweat freely...and I was tired of frequently oiling my gun and having smell of oil on my clothes...FL does the trick for me...as good as any other lube, easy to wipe off any residue and it smells ok and won't stain clothes.

Try it.

sup
04-16-2012, 20:56
I love it, plus it makes that dull crappy finish on Gen4 look 100% better. Makes the the slide like butter with no oily mess. Plus it smells great. Don't knock until you try it.:cool:
it works.

TacticalTree
04-16-2012, 21:54
I just use Break Free CLP. It cleans, lubricates, and protects...Is my approach somehow deficient in a way that I'm missing?

8th ID
04-17-2012, 04:26
I just use Break Free CLP. It cleans, lubricates, and protects...

Is my approach somehow deficient in a way that I'm missing?

Even though I have and use Frog Lube and believe it is a great product, in my opinion, your approach is sound.

Screwdriver
04-22-2012, 09:08
I have been using M1 for a couple years, but bought some FL a few months ago. My AR sat for a few months after cleaning and lubing with M1. Just before taking it to the range in early February I inspected it and found that it was virtually dry. I did a good cleaning and used FL. I noticed the AR retains the FL and stays juicy weeks after. I now use it on every gun I own. Smells nice, stays put and is non toxic.

Last Monday I shot 250 rds each in my G19 and XD45. FL retained it's lubricity and made clean up simple. Wear patters on the barrel and inner slide had zero change.

Bottom line, I am sold. It's not magic.....just a really good product. Plus is smells like gum. :embarassed:

multo17
04-22-2012, 11:31
I bought one from my local gun shop to see what's all the fuss, & so far it seems like a good product(tried it just one time). I'm always looking for geat stuff to clean & protect my guns! I use it mainly to clean & to prevent rust. I also use it to lube the outside of the barrel. I like the fact that it not harsh or nasty smelling(don't have to open the window), & it's smell nice & minty. I bought the paste- I use a q-tip & clean cloth as an aplicator.:cool:

Itchy Finger
04-22-2012, 14:12
I'm all for a quality lubricant and rust inhibitor, but come on guys. What's the big deal about cleaning a gun. Heck I LOVE field stripping my guns and cleaning them. Sitting at the table cleaning my weapon on top of my cleaning mat is hog heaven! Sometimes after dry firing I'll take the silicon cloth to my Glock just because I've got fingerprints on it.
I've got a Remington 870 Wingmaster that I've dragged through the mud while duck and goose hunting for 35 years and it still looks new. I guess growing up hunting in adverse conditions taught me the value of taking care of a weapon.
So although I can appreciate a quality gun lubricant, there's just no substitute for good ol' elbow grease.

Oh thank you, thank you! Now I don't feel so...so..."mentally defective" I guess.

I too just had a dry firing exercise and I wiped down with my CLP wipes. Sure makes the polymer look sharp and it is not slick and slimy to hold right after doing that.

Yeah, I've used just about everthing out there and prolly spent enough to buy another Glock. I'll just stick with good ol' CLP. Just like the label says...Clean, Lube, Protect.

deputy1199
04-23-2012, 14:39
I've been using Spyder oil (Mobile 1 0W-20 synthetic) for all my performance cars and Glocks for years and couldn't be more satisfied - whether 5 quarts or 5 drops are required the applicable moving parts are protected under the harshest operating conditions. What more could you ask for? And at about $8 a quart versus $ 17.99 for 4 ounces of Frog Lube liquid, it's a bargain.

JBP55
04-23-2012, 16:12
i've been using spyder oil (mobile 1 0w-20 synthetic) for all my performance cars and glocks for years and couldn't be more satisfied - whether 5 quarts or 5 drops are required the applicable moving parts are protected under the harshest operating conditions. What more could you ask for? And at about $8 a quart versus $ 17.99 for 4 ounces of frog lube liquid, it's a bargain.

Amen!!

Paul53
04-23-2012, 22:27
Tried Remoil, hated it. Used Hoppes #9, did the job. Just switched to CLP and am astounded by how much better it works.

Next I'll have to try Frog Lube (never seen a rusty frog) just so I can tell people all about the great things of my glock just so I can finish with "plus it has a little hint of mint." Makes the huge (to me) price for froglube almost worth it.

hotrodcummins12v
04-24-2012, 04:50
I've been using a very similar product for about 5 years now for corrosion resistance in high chlorine/chemical water applications. It worked well and and believe in it. Then when I found out how similar frog lube is, I tried it on my 1911. The slide racks so smoothly and leaves much less copper fouling. I heated my Glock barrel and slide in an oven and soaked the barrel inside and out and the outside and contact points of the slide. It cut down on holster wear and kinda gave it a fancy oily swirling. Looks great, works great. Honestly though, you could probably use any micro lube to penetrate the pores... like ZMax, which is way more expensive. I recommend frog lube and that's all I use now.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

tango44
11-08-2012, 15:20
I'm convinced now! I use the liquid CLP and It just Works!

canadiantbone
11-17-2012, 02:45
soulds / looks interesting . Been usings Gibbs for the the last while with good sucess.

BIG-DOG
11-17-2012, 06:19
You will really appreciate Frog Lube if you have a parked gun. It eliminated having to give my 1911 a oil bath every couple of weeks and oily, messy hands at the range. After 2 initial treatments all I do is wipe it clean after using and done. It has been a year and I haven't had to reapply yet.

Tornado_Racing
11-17-2012, 06:34
I switched to FrogLube about a month ago. Very pleased and it does what they say. Weapon heats up and lubes the gun and then wipe clean. Only on my second treatment though!

jefro30
01-08-2014, 03:22
Anyone else tried it?

Smells good, works good! My action is smooth! The guy at my LGS sold me it! Jar will last me a lifetime!!

Todd00000
01-08-2014, 04:22
You will really appreciate Frog Lube if you have a parked gun. It eliminated having to give my 1911 a oil bath every couple of weeks and oily, messy hands at the range. After 2 initial treatments all I do is wipe it clean after using and done. It has been a year and I haven't had to reapply yet.

Same results here, I now have all their products and threw away everything else. After too many years of being around POL it's nice to have something that is non-toxic.

Photoman642
01-08-2014, 09:04
Glocks need so little lube, I don't see why anyone would buy some super magical lube for glocks?

My thoughts exactly. Glocks are caveman simple. No need for "high tech" oil.

phalanxr
01-08-2014, 12:10
My thoughts exactly. Glocks are caveman simple. No need for "high tech" oil.

It works amazingly on every firearm ive tried once applied correctly. You just quickly wipe down the firearm, maybe put a drop back on the barrel and reassemble.

billybadd
01-08-2014, 12:29
Works for me..

Inebriated
01-08-2014, 14:55
I use it. My favorite for Glocks.

Photoman642
01-08-2014, 15:33
It works amazingly on every firearm ive tried once applied correctly. You just quickly wipe down the firearm, maybe put a drop back on the barrel and reassemble.

So it's more for ease of cleaning than lubrication?

bunk22
01-08-2014, 15:38
I decided to try it and it works as advertised. So easy to clean my guns now, the crap wipes right off. I have it on all my guns.

NCHeel
01-09-2014, 23:03
So it's more for ease of cleaning than lubrication?No, rather than mixing with Carbon it repels it. Instead of having to strip all lubricant from a gun to clean it you just have to wipe it down. That removes the Carbon and then apply a fresh, lite, coat of Frog Lube.

Tiro Fijo
01-09-2014, 23:32
RICK TAYLOR ENDORSES SNAKE OIL - YouTube

tango44
01-10-2014, 15:39
Frog Lube is all I use on my G26 and after 10Krounds is the best CLP I have use.
I started a test on Rand CLP last week on another G26 will let you know how it comes afeter a few rounds!

Inebriated
01-10-2014, 19:36
RICK TAYLOR ENDORSES SNAKE OIL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tj7ytiqxx8#t=30)
FL is hardly a snake oil.

125K9
01-11-2014, 14:03
heard of the stuff its organic with a sweet candy smell
some swear by it
http://www.froglube.com/testimonials.htm

It tends to give you warts as well.:whistling:

Tiro Fijo
01-11-2014, 17:17
FL is hardly a snake oil.

Really? Show me the spec sheet. :wavey:

Birdog
01-11-2014, 17:29
Really? Show me the spec sheet. :wavey:

Try it on your worst functioning gun. I did and that's what made a believer out of me. :supergrin:

OV1kenobi
01-18-2014, 23:27
Wow!

Fourteen months since the last post until Jefro30 resurrected the thread! Very timely, since a friend of mine gifted me the kit (with the cloth, brush, paste and CLP) for my birthday. My wife and I like the minty fragrance, the fact that it supposed to be non-toxic and most of all it really does a good job of cleaning.

I like it.

Apparently, Tiro Fijo's opinion is still the same!:wavey:

jefro30
01-18-2014, 23:29
Wow!

Fourteen months since the last post until Jefro30 resurrected the thread! Very timely, since a friend of mine gifted me the kit (with the cloth, brush, paste and CLP) for my birthday. My wife and I like the minty fragrance, the fact that it supposed to be non-toxic and most of all it really does a good job of cleaning.

I like it.

Apparently, Tiro Fijo's opinion is still the same!:wavey:

Glad u like it!! U like the thin coat it leaves?

OV1kenobi
01-19-2014, 01:20
Jefro30:

Yes, I like the thin coat of lubrication it leaves behind. Powder residue wipes right off. Lead takes a bit longer, but it does come off.

jefro30
01-19-2014, 01:22
Jefro30:

Yes, I like the thin coat of lubrication it leaves behind. Powder residue wipes right off. Lead takes a bit longer, but it does come off.

Do you heat the barrel up before cleaning? Helps activate the FL

Thomasc18
01-19-2014, 05:10
Great stuff! I use it on my ddm4, I haven't tried it on my glocks I use gun butter.

Roger1079
01-19-2014, 05:42
Mobil 1, which by the way is a great oil, is for vehciles. Since Frog lube was made for weapons, and since Glocks don't have a engine, I'll stay with Frog lube. It's environmental friendly.Engines have steel and aluminum moving parts. Pistols have steel and aluminum moving parts. Engines get hot as they are used. Pistols get hot as they are used. Automotive engine oil will work just as good in a pistol as it will in an automobile. Glocks require next to nothing for lubricant anyway. I have seen people run a bone dry and filthy Glock for thousands of rounds with no malfunctions ever. Stop reading into the advertising hype.

lupuss
01-19-2014, 06:40
Stop reading into the advertising hype.

:goodpost:

hunter 111
01-19-2014, 07:49

Buy some GUN oil
why even try to be so cheap.......:tongueout:

JBP55
01-19-2014, 08:25
Buy some GUN oil

Because Mobil 1 is a better lubricant. :cool:

Glock30SEDC
01-19-2014, 13:41
CLP then HD30 motor oil at the lube points works well for me.

Interested in trying out the FL though. Maybe for my AR that likes to run wet.

bmoore
01-19-2014, 13:50
Buy some GUN oil

Yeah, then you can get oil from the special gun oil refinery.

Bill Lumberg
01-20-2014, 06:38
Gun oil is pretty cheap, unless you want snake oil. I wouldn't use motor oil, but I think it'd work reasonably well if I did. Remoil, CLP, etc. Any normal gun oil is more than adequate. There's not a thing wrong with using a high priced snake oil if you like the smell. Just make sure it's not worse than commonly available lubes. I tried one that shall remain unnamed (still fairly popular) only to find that it provided less corrosion protection than almost anything else available. Nice if you were in a permanent rust free zone. That one, similar to most oils that use hokum for marketing, had you clean the metal, heat the metal, apply (or apply then heat), noting that if you didn't have a heat source, you could heat by shooting. It also noted that repeated applications brought the most protection. Claimed that it imbued magical unicorn "dry lube" properties even after the visible lube was gone, etc. etc. I think frog lube is a good lube that's dramatically overpriced. The seductive ritual prescribed for application says something different.... I like to clean and lube guns. Use what makes you happy. :)

Glock30SEDC
01-20-2014, 18:53
Has anybody used FL on the Gen 4 "new crappy finish" slides? Any protection from holster leather? My motor oil wipes right off when I holster my 19. Only on the leather side though. Kydex side looks pretty sharp still.

Might look at a full kydex IWB rig. Any suggestions?

Audiman77
01-20-2014, 19:20
Has anybody used FL on the Gen 4 "new crappy finish" slides? Any protection from holster leather? My motor oil wipes right off when I holster my 19. Only on the leather side though. Kydex side looks pretty sharp still.

I used FL for about a year. Switched back to weapon shield. IMO it's a better lube and protectant.

Audiman77
01-20-2014, 19:22

Sorry missed the kydex question. I run a garrett silent thunder iwb and an incog. Both appendix. Both holsters rock

JBP55
01-20-2014, 19:23

JM Custom Kydex.

JBP55
01-20-2014, 19:24
Sorry missed the kydex question. I run a garrett silent thunder iwb and an incog. Both appendix. Both holsters rock

I have been using Weapon Shield since it was available with good results.

Glock30SEDC
01-20-2014, 19:26
Thanks fellas - will check these out.

Audiman77
01-20-2014, 19:27
I have been using Weapon Shield since it was available with good results.

WS to me is the best. Doesn't evaporate or run. Great stuff and non toxic as well

glockguns
01-20-2014, 21:36
I tried FL for a little while. No thanks. I only use Slip 2000EWL now on all my firearms. Great stuff.

skip4309
01-21-2014, 17:45
You only need 5 drops (of whatever type oil) to properly lube a Glock...how complicated can that be.........why complicate things.....

OV1kenobi
01-21-2014, 20:18
Do you heat the barrel up before cleaning? Helps activate the FL

No, I didn't. I figured that firing the pistol would generate all the heat needed, right or wrong.

Also, since the Glock really doesn't need that much lubrication anyway, I believe I get the best benefit from FL on my all steel S&W revolvers; particularly my old, blued Model 10 and K-22 Masterpiece.

S. Kelly
01-23-2014, 23:17
Frog Lube works for me-I have picked up an severe allergy to gun cleaners and solvents (maybe Ammonia?), so Frog Lube keeps me comfortable-trust me, the symptoms suck. The fact that I can clean and lube with it indoors is a big bonus.

All I did was strip my handguns of other lubes (alcohol swabs after a non Clorinated brake cleaner spraydown), then leave them on the rear deck in the hot sun last summer. Just add Frog Lube and wipe off the excess. Works great on my duty G23 and I have also used it on a few 1911s-makes them slick up a bit.

I've used it on all my handguns and ARs. I'm sold, but I am wondering how my AR would do outside in the 0-6 degree weather we're having right now.

Tiro Fijo
01-24-2014, 01:06
...I have picked up an severe allergy to gun cleaners and solvents (maybe Ammonia?)...

If you are using aerosols it is probably the butyl alcohol used as a propellant.

Birdog
01-24-2014, 06:12
Frog Lube works for me-I have picked up an severe allergy to gun cleaners and solvents (maybe Ammonia?), so Frog Lube keeps me comfortable-trust me, the symptoms suck. The fact that I can clean and lube with it indoors is a big bonus.

All I did was strip my handguns of other lubes (alcohol swabs after a non Clorinated brake cleaner spraydown), then leave them on the rear deck in the hot sun last summer. Just add Frog Lube and wipe off the excess. Works great on my duty G23 and I have also used it on a few 1911s-makes them slick up a bit.

I've used it on all my handguns and ARs. I'm sold, but I am wondering how my AR would do outside in the 0-6 degree weather we're having right now.

Make sure you get all the frog lube off your gun(s) (can be removed with frog lube solvent) if you plan on doing any cold weather shooting. Try it without doing so and you'll see what I mean. Both of my 1911's malfunctioned more than they worked when shooting in 10 deg weather about two weeks ago. The lube turned to paste. I called Frog Lube & they told me all the lube must be removed prior to cold weather ops. They emailed me the military cold weather ops procedure. It is also available on their website.

JBP55
01-24-2014, 08:29
Make sure you get all the frog lube off your gun(s) (can be removed with frog lube solvent) if you plan on doing any cold weather shooting. Try it without doing so and you'll see what I mean. Both of my 1911's malfunctioned more than they worked when shooting in 10 deg weather about two weeks ago. The lube turned to paste. I called Frog Lube & they told me all the lube must be removed prior to cold weather ops. They emailed me the military cold weather ops procedure. It is also available on their website.

Time to dump the Frog Lube and get something that works.
The Mobil 1 oil I use for lubrication has a pour point of minus 65 degrees.

Birdog
01-24-2014, 09:26
Time to dump the Frog Lube and get something that works.
The Mobil 1 oil I use for lubrication has a pour point of minus 65 degrees.

My guess is that Mobil 1 would thicken up a bit at 10 deg as well. Have you shot a gun lubed with Mobil 1 at that temp? I was discouraged by the frog lube performance but learned that just about any lube thickens.

http://archive.org/stream/milmanual-fm-31-70-basic-cold-weather-survival-manual/fm_31-70_basic_cold_weather_survival_manual#page/n163/mode/2up (pg 165)

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:30
I dont see FL causing problems due to it melting soon as the gun warms up from being shot!

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:30
Also here in FL I dont have to worry about 10 weather so FL is my go to Lube

Birdog
01-24-2014, 09:43
I dont see FL causing problems due to it melting soon as the gun warms up from being shot!

Believe me, FL caused serious problems! The gun never has chance to 'warm up', it's too busy failing to cycle. It rendered both my 1911s inop. Like I said, I called FL and they said to strip all the FL off with their solvent prior to any ops below freezing, so they know that it causes problems if it's not removed.

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:45
Believe me, FL caused serious problems! The gun never has chance to 'warm up', it's too busy failing to cycle. It rendered both my 1911s inop. Like I said, I called FL and they said to strip all the FL off with their solvent prior to any ops below freezing, so they know that it causes problems if it's not removed.

Thats sucks!! :( Good thing I dont have to worry about below freezing weather!! Stay warm!

Birdog
01-24-2014, 09:48
I wiped off all visible FL, reassembled both guns and cycled the slide (50x) on each. I then field stripped and saw wet FL on the slide rails. It oozes out of the pores of the metal as the gun heats up (as it's advertised to). My guess is that if you set that gun down for 5 mins at the outdoor range while you're loading mags or whatever, and then try to fire it again it will not cycle. My first range session I didn't remove all FL prior to shooting. The guns barely cycled. Next time I'll wipe everything off first, but due to FL's ability to seep out lube, my guess is that the guns might malfunction again to some extent. I'll try it and see. Getting ready to try my froglubed G21 and it's 3 deg out right now. I bet it works better than my 1911s but I'm still going to wiped all visible FL off first, per Froglube's recommendations.

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:51
Bro screw that!! Stay inside!!! 3 outside!!? Burrrrr!!!

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:51
Its 50 here and im freezing!! Lmao!!!

Birdog
01-24-2014, 09:52
Also here in FL I dont have to worry about 10 weather so FL is my go to Lube

Believe me, I love froglube. That's why I'm trying to work through to a solution for this issue. I also love Florida. Taking the family down there the first week in Feb to get out of the arctic weather in the midwest!

Birdog
01-24-2014, 09:54
Bro screw that!! Stay inside!!! 3 outside!!? Burrrrr!!!

I know. I hear ya. But I just installed night sights and a Zev Tech Fulcrum trigger in the new G21 and am itching to try them out. Probably just run out in my backyard and run through a few mags, then run back in quick!

jefro30
01-24-2014, 09:57
Well then have fun!! Be safe!! Stay warm!! Lol!! Where in FL do you go?
Also please post your findings with the FL and freezing weather. Thanks

Birdog
01-24-2014, 10:02
Well then have fun!! Be safe!! Stay warm!! Lol!! Where in FL do you go?
Also please post your findings with the FL and freezing weather. Thanks

I'll post my findings.

We fly into St Pete and normally stay on Clearwater Beach. The in-laws have a condo in Palmetto (near Bradenton I guess) right now so we'll stay with them for this trip.

jefro30
01-24-2014, 10:06
I'll post my findings.

We fly into St Pete and normally stay on Clearwater Beach. The in-laws have a condo in Palmetto (near Bradenton I guess) right now so we'll stay with them for this trip.

Cool! Im in Sarasota area! West Coast is great! If you can go by Siesta Key Beach! Great sand! Its pure white and soft. Great Sunsets! You should aply for a FLCWP. That way you can CC while down here! :dunno:

Birdog
01-24-2014, 10:48
Thanks for the info! Maybe we'll check out Siesta Key. Have always wanted to go there. FL honors my IN permit so I'll have my PM9 on me at all times while in FL.

Pecos2014
01-24-2014, 22:29
:rofl:Squeeky Frogs?????

NCHeel
01-29-2014, 21:23
We all know Glocks need little lube but they do need some protection also. These 2 videos sold me on FL and I use it like Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I put that ***** on everything.

Froglube vs. WD-40 LTCI (Corrosion Resistance) - YouTube

FrogLube (To Heat Or Not To Heat?) - YouTube

jeremy1
01-30-2014, 00:00
It may sound crazy but I use plain automotive axle grease on moving parts. I use a syringe available at brownells and put it on the rails. You don't need much. It stays on until you want to remove it. Works in the cold, hot, and doesn't wash off. I also use CLP on some parts that you can't get grease in as well as metal surfaces to prevent corrosion.

Lt. Donn
01-30-2014, 03:50
There are so many different lubes on the market...all vying for a share...even Royal Purple, the Diesel Lube guys are making gun lubes now...go figure!. IMHO I like to see what the real gun-guys...like Sp. Ops etc. use for their platforms that MUST run all the time...I consistently hear from these guys that Slip-2000 is all they will ever use for lubing any self-loading platform...take it for what it is worth.

JBP55
01-30-2014, 04:22
NCHeel, WD 40 is about the worst thing anyone can use to prevent rust. Frog Lube has done fair but not excelled in these tests against quality products.

hunter 111
01-30-2014, 04:58
This F L sounds like Crisco .....grease

bmoore
01-30-2014, 08:55
It may sound crazy but I use plain automotive axle grease on moving parts. I use a syringe available at brownells and put it on the rails. You don't need much. It stays on until you want to remove it. Works in the cold, hot, and doesn't wash off. I also use CLP on some parts that you can't get grease in as well as metal surfaces to prevent corrosion.

You secret is safe with me. Wanna know what I use? Supertech high temp bearing grease and Mobil1. Want to know what I have tried? Mpro-7 oil, hoppes oil, froglube, miltech, slip2000, ballistol (it cleans wells) and a host of others. Aerosol Remoil seems to work fine for exterior protection from rust.

us-shooter
01-31-2014, 15:58
I use FrogLube on all of my guns. It cleans really well and keeps my Glocks rockin'. An it's totally non-toxic. I won't use toxic chemicals anymore.

crsuribe
02-01-2014, 14:15
I use frog lube on all my guns (10/22s, AR's, Glock Pistols, Revolvers, HK pistols and colt 1911) and since weather has been so lovely in OH (some days down to -12) I went out and tried it a bunch with an AR15 and 2 Glocks.

0 Malfunctions. I guess it all depends on how you use the lube; I guess if you put a lot of it on certain moving parts it might cause malfunctions but based on my personal experience, I am not worried about it at all. If you follow instructions and wipe off the excess, even just the friction from cycling the slide or bolt starts melting it almost right away and if you have just a think layer of it, it's never gonna be a problem.

Birdog
02-01-2014, 14:22
The more I shot my gun, the worse it ran. The slide rails heat up and froglube wicks out of the metal. Then you sit the gun down for five minutes to reload mags or shoot another gun and when you pick it back up and shoot it again, the lube that wicked out is now sludge due to the cold ambient temps. The Froglube rep told me to actually use their solvent to remove the froglube from the gun (more than just wiping off the excess) before any cold weather ops. At 10 degrees, both my 1911's ran fine when I started shooting but the further I went into the range session, both became nearly totally inoperative. I don't want to have to strip the guns first but that's what they recommended (on the phone and their website). Kind of a bummer. I'll try again sometime and see if it improves with different techniques or different guns (my Glocks). I still love the product, just disappointed with the cold weather properties that I experienced with it.

sniper350
02-02-2014, 19:55
Most owners of Glocks over lubricate their pistols, because they are use to lubricating older weapons or pistols that have higher friction numbers. Glock could have used a longer rail system ( like you would find in a 1911 ) but keeping it short and sweet lowers the drag coefficient thus not needing a lot of lubrication to keep the slide working properly. So basically any good oil will work fine for the Glock Pistol. If you want to spend your money on "high tech " oils and it makes you happy then fine, but your pistol will be happy with almost anything ...... when the manual indicates a drop or less it means it litterally! Glock built Amazing "reliable functioning" into the pistol, no need to try and add that performance from a CAN!

Birdog
02-02-2014, 20:20
Most owners of Glocks over lubricate their pistols, because they are use to lubricating older weapons or pistols that have higher friction numbers. Glock could have used a longer rail system ( like you would find in a 1911 ) but keeping it short and sweet lowers the drag coefficient thus not needing a lot of lubrication to keep the slide working properly. So basically any good oil will work fine for the Glock Pistol. If you want to spend your money on "high tech " oils and it makes you happy then fine, but your pistol will be happy with almost anything ...... when the manual indicates a drop or less it means it litterally! Glock built Amazing "reliable functioning" into the pistol, no need to try and add that performance from a CAN!

Sounds like the truth from what I've seen.

speicher
02-03-2014, 14:58

:supergrin::supergrin:

jimmudcatgrant
07-13-2014, 13:41
I use frog lube on all my guns (10/22s, AR's, Glock Pistols, Revolvers, HK pistols and colt 1911) and since weather has been so lovely in OH (some days down to -12) I went out and tried it a bunch with an AR15 and 2 Glocks.

0 Malfunctions. I guess it all depends on how you use the lube; I guess if you put a lot of it on certain moving parts it might cause malfunctions but based on my personal experience, I am not worried about it at all. If you follow instructions and wipe off the excess, even just the friction from cycling the slide or bolt starts melting it almost right away and if you have just a think layer of it, it's never gonna be a problem.

I am glad I found this thread. I am thinking I over lubed my G27 by putting some on the lube points with a q tip right before going to shoot. I have to do that with my cz clones as the slide fits down into the frame, so it needs the lube. It appears that Glocks don't like to be overlubed.

hunter 111
07-13-2014, 14:35

Oil does the same

hunter 111
07-13-2014, 14:41
My guess is that Mobil 1 would thicken up a bit at 10 deg as well. Have you shot a gun lubed with Mobil 1 at that temp? I was discouraged by the frog lube performance but learned that just about any lube thickens.

http://archive.org/stream/milmanual-fm-31-70-basic-cold-weather-survival-manual/fm_31-70_basic_cold_weather_survival_manual#page/n163/mode/2up (pg 165)

Mobil 1 gums up after time

Dave Nowlin
07-13-2014, 16:37

Sir, you aren't as knowledgeable as you would have people believe. There are companies which make products which aren't patented on purpose. I had the plant manager for one such company explain to me a few years back that they had found they were better off not to apply for a patent. I asked why? he said when we apply for a patent and disclose all our ingredients, it is easy for a competitor to slightly change our formula and come out with a competing product. We have found that if they have to wait long enough to figure out what we are doing we can capture the lion's share in that market without all the associated costs of patents. He said they had done it both ways and no longer patented their products. It has been hinted that this product is invalid as many lines on the MSDS are marked N/A. In fact having many lines marked N/A is desirable as that product is safer. Items that aren't reactive have nothing hazardous to report. The MSDS is to warn us against dangerous chemicals or reactions caused by the product under certain conditions. If there are no dangers then there is nothing to report. Hence N/A on that line.