Do you techs here get frustrated with folks... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you techs here get frustrated with folks...

Detectorist
07-11-2011, 16:43
you're trying to help and who won't stay in contact?

I'm tired of trying to help folks on here and then they sort of vanish and don't post anymore or contact us.

Toyman
07-11-2011, 18:11
It's standard computer user behavior. I've seen it where a bunch of people report a bug, you contact all of them and ask a few simple things, and none of them get back to you.

Pierre!
07-11-2011, 19:59
It's standard computer user behavior. I've seen it where a bunch of people report a bug, you contact all of them and ask a few simple things, and none of them get back to you.

Then there are the folks who will get your advice, the other guy's advice, and another consultants advice... and use the wrong tools together in the wrong fashion...

Had one complain cause her computer was slow after I recommended MS Security Essentials to her... and it comes out in the wash that AVAST! was ALSO running because another tech recommended it to her... :cool:

That is one of the biggest No-No's in the industry - Only 1 AV/AM product at a time!!!

So yah, comes with the territory and you just roll with it. It's not like I send folks in the Forums a bill either, ya know?

srhoades
07-11-2011, 20:17
Not so much here. I'm a somewhat regular poster over at forums.techguy.org, lots of newbs there that don't even bother using the search function. Sometimes I have to stay away for a few days because of all the repeat threads. Plus you get Johhny Come Lately to the forum with less than 10 posts offering horrible advice thinking he is the bee's knees.

Ogreon
07-12-2011, 23:15
I wouldn't call myself a tech, but my perspective is...

It's always best to give the results for a number of reasons.

Did any of the answers given work? If so, which one?
Did they all fail?
Did you find something somewhere else that worked? If so, what was it or at least tell where you found it?

All of these answers give some useful information for those trying to help you. Even if the problem was solved for you, there are probably others with the same problem.

Yes, it also slakes the curiosity of those who tried to help. Nothing wrong with a bit of recompense that only costs you a few minutes of your time.

Linux3
07-13-2011, 13:13
From 1993 till around 2002 I did Worldwide engineering support on computer systems and software that cost $millions. Really, the hardware was >$1,000,000.00 per system and the software was around $100,000.00 per seat plus options.
I spent around 1/3 of my time traveling to customer sites and the rest doing phone and email support.
The people I had to work with were, on the whole, no easier to work with than the guy down the street.

You would think the Systems Admin at a company with around $12,000,000.00 of hardware and software would pay attention and do what I said and report the follow up. Nope, not always.

We used Metrum tape backup systems. They used a tape that looked and worked like a VHS video tape but the coatings on the tape were different and the cassettes cost a lot more. We had a customer that figured they could save boig bucks by using VHS video tapes. When they needed to do a restore and it failed guess who go the blame. I pointed out the problem but they stuck with the VHS tapes because they were cheaper. They just changed them more often, which killed the life span of the read / wroite heads.

We had a customer who never saw an update, patch or little application they didn't like. Eventually they would ***** that the $960,000.00 SGI Onyx II would grind to a halt. sigh.