Travelling to NC with FL CCW permit - Any restrictions I should worry about [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to NC with FL CCW permit - Any restrictions I should worry about

niceguymr
07-11-2011, 19:20
I'll be flying into and staying a few nights in Wilmington. I have a Florida CCW permit. I see that according to the information on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ that my FL permit is honored in NC.

I don't want to take any chances relying strictly off the information from that one website so I thought I would just check directly with GT'ers in NC as well. What if any restrictions are there for me to CCW with my FL permit? Are there any unusual CCW rules or should I simply travel, bring and carry my CCW (along with FL permit) without worries?

Thanks in advance!

awq134
07-13-2011, 22:29
nothing strange about the laws here as far as i have read. but then again i haven't read the FL ccw law so you might want to brush up on the NC laws to make sure they coincide with what you are used to in FL.

magpie maniac
07-13-2011, 22:52
This document (http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx) from the NCDOJ should cover the basics for you. Recent changes expanding the castle doctrine and adding more legal CCW areas were passed by the legislature, but those changes don't take effect until December 1.

During an official interaction with an LEO, you must inform them that you have a permit and that you are carrying. Then follow their directions. You many carry in most areas except places that serve alcohol, places that charge admission (football games for example), government buildings, etc. Open carry is not specifically forbidden, but it's highly discouraged in the larger cities. Your CCW permit and your ID (driver license) must be on you whenever you carry.

If you keep it concealed, carry your permit, don't drink, and inform LEOs when required, you'll be fine. Piece of cake. :)

GuinnessSynd
07-13-2011, 23:05
dont have a knife on ya that is concealed unless it is less then 4"
pocket knife otherwise have fun

NC Bullseye
07-14-2011, 01:08
dont have a knife on ya that is concealed unless it is less then 4"
pocket knife otherwise have fun

Note there are no statutes that reflect the maximum length in specific measurements but case law has found that a knife of 4 inches overall length which is both the handle and blade can be 4 inches. That means a 2 inch blade and 2 inch handle. I don't know of any cases where a normal pocket knife has been found to be outside the allowed length but use common sense and leave the pocket knife with the 6 inch blade at home.

Also, NC does not allow stun guns to be concealed.

The page for NC on handgun law is pretty accurate so you'd be fine using it for reference and don't forget, on that page are the links directly to the state pages for most of the laws.

Gallium
07-14-2011, 04:00
I'll be flying into and staying a few nights in Wilmington. I have a Florida CCW permit. I see that according to the information on http://www.handgunlaw.us/ that my FL permit is honored in NC.

I don't want to take any chances relying strictly off the information from that one website so I thought I would just check directly with GT'ers in NC as well. What if any restrictions are there for me to CCW with my FL permit? Are there any unusual CCW rules or should I simply travel, bring and carry my CCW (along with FL permit) without worries?

Thanks in advance!

FL's page says it reciprocates with NC.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

NCs page that deals wit reciprocity, and the rules...
http://www.ncdoj.com/About-DOJ/Law-Enforcement-Training-and-Standards/Law-Enforcement-Liason/Concealed-Weapon-Reciprocity.aspx

coastal4974
07-14-2011, 07:08
For example, in North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

In law enforcement or correctional facilities such as a prison;
In financial institutions such as a bank;
In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
In schools or on school grounds;
In areas of assemblies, parades, funerals or demonstrations;
In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);
In any area where concealed handguns are prohibited by federal law;
In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).

looks like you will be keeping it locked in your car most of the time. :upeyes:

niceguymr
07-14-2011, 07:22
[/LIST]
looks like you will be keeping it locked in your car most of the time. :upeyes:

Pretty much. At this point, I'm just trying to rationalize even bringing it with me. We're only going to be there 3 days, all of which I'm sure we'll be in AT LEAST 1 place where ccw is prohibited. The rule about not being able to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol is a major inconvenience.

ashecht
07-14-2011, 07:26
In any space occupied by state or federal employees, including state and federal courthouses;
In any place where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed (such as some restaurants);
In any place of business that has posted a sign banning concealed weapons on its premises;
By any person while consuming alcohol or while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substances (unless obtained legally and taken as directed by a physician).
this!

beancounter81
07-14-2011, 08:24
The rule about not being able to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol is a major inconvenience.

A lot of us who live here in NC agree with you!

fuzzy03cls
07-14-2011, 08:25
For example, in North Carolina, concealed handguns may not be carried:

Wow NC sucks compared to FL.

Gallium
07-14-2011, 08:51
Wow NC sucks compared to FL.

NC sucks compared to even New York CITY, once you have a permit there.

One of the valid reasons for getting a permit is handling large sums of $$$.

Gary1911A1
07-14-2011, 11:15
If you're traveling through South Carolina make sure your FL Permit is a resident permit.

reniram
07-14-2011, 14:54
NC sucks compared to even New York CITY, once you have a permit there.

One of the valid reasons for getting a permit is handling large sums of $$$.

But NC unlike NYS or NYC does recognize many other states' permits, and NC residents don't need a valid reason.

Gallium
07-14-2011, 17:39
But NC unlike NYS or NYC does recognize many other states' permits, and NC residents don't need a valid reason.

I don't live in NYC, but if I did I'd be able to have a concealed weapons permit, and despite how draconian NY is, when I actually have a permit, the gun can actually be carried more than just "a few" places. Those three places (banks, booze joints or assemblies), my good golly, that's a bunch of places you can't carry.

But let me guess...judges and legislators are exempt? :)

'Drew

ncglock19
07-14-2011, 21:55
Welcome to NC. Hope you enjoy the trip.

nc19:wavey:

reniram
07-15-2011, 06:26
I don't live in NYC, but if I did I'd be able to have a concealed weapons permit, and despite how draconian NY is, when I actually have a permit, the gun can actually be carried more than just "a few" places. Those three places (banks, booze joints or assemblies), my good golly, that's a bunch of places you can't carry.

But let me guess...judges and legislators are exempt? :)

'Drew

I appreciate that NY permit holders have a lot of latitude when it comes to where they may carry. What I don't appreciate is that non-residents are SOL in NY. I wonder if any lawsuits are pending on this issue.

niceguymr
07-15-2011, 08:17
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to pass on bringing my CCW. As a vacationer and considering the specific activities that we may be engaged in (particularly eating in restaurants that more than likely sell alcohol), in doesn't seem that having my firearm will be convenient. I can't be bothered with having to go back and forth to lock up my firearm each time I find out that it may be illegal to possess in a particular location. This is not an afront to NC, but to unreasonable firearms laws in general. I guess I should be happy that FL is a little less restrictive that some other places.

fuzzy03cls
07-15-2011, 08:24
I don't live in NYC, but if I did I'd be able to have a concealed weapons permit
huh? Unless your a LEO, deal in big jewelery, some mega celeb, or a politician you'll never be able to get one.

Old Junes
07-15-2011, 09:15
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to pass on bringing my CCW. As a vacationer and considering the specific activities that we may be engaged in (particularly eating in restaurants that more than likely sell alcohol), in doesn't seem that having my firearm will be convenient. I can't be bothered with having to go back and forth to lock up my firearm each time I find out that it may be illegal to possess in a particular location. This is not an afront to NC, but to unreasonable firearms laws in general. I guess I should be happy that FL is a little less restrictive that some other places.

I can appreciate your thinking for sure. I recently decided to leave my firearm at home while "vacationing" :whistling: with my in-laws out of state. I knew that we'd be frequenting plenty of restaurants and more than likely having a drink or two as well. It was not an easy decision, but at the end of the day I decided that it was not worth the hassle and headaches. I felt terribly unprepared for the first day or two... but eventually that feeling wore off.

bag12day
07-16-2011, 09:42

I travel to FL and do appreciate the Laws as compared to NC. The one thing I will caution about that I stress in teaching CCH class in NC is NO Alcohol means NONE. I just had 1 beer doesn't fly, it means none. If you are a casual drinker with dinner or while on the beach or something my advice would be it ain't worth the effort to fly it in only to have it sitting your rental car.
Enjoy the Wilmington area!