First week of concealed carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First week of concealed carry

Reb56
07-11-2011, 19:56
Just got my ccw permit and have carried concealed for a week now. The first day was a bit strange, carrying a loaded gun around and thinking everyone could tell i was carrying. I have two holsters that I used during my first week, a crossbreed super tuck and a Galco matrix 7 owb. I carried a G19 or a G26, both carried well in either holster. After about four days I was not that concerned about printing or showing, i realized that no one knew I was carrying a gun but me. Hope I never have to use it but feel better that I have it.

bluejackets92fs
07-11-2011, 20:02
Just got my ccw permit and have carried concealed for a week now. The first day was a bit strange, carrying a loaded gun around and thinking everyone could tell i was carrying. I have two holsters that I used during my first week, a crossbreed super tuck and a Galco matrix 7 owb. I carried a G19 or a G26, both carried well in either holster. After about four days I was not that concerned about printing or showing, i realized that no one knew I was carrying a gun but me. Hope I never have to use it but feel better that I have it.

Nice choices. My setup is just like yours. G26 and crossbreed. It took me a while to even carry chambered but then I figured it was dumb not to. I thought I was printing. Anyone ever ask me though and I will tell them it is a colostomy bag.

redbaron007
07-11-2011, 20:07
Congrats!!

Did you do the Walmart shuffle? :rofl:

It gets easier and easier, depending on the dress attire and firearm. I just recently purchased a Remora holster, which has made carrying my G26 a lot easier when in just a t-shirt.

Again, Congrats on the CCW and carrying your firearm.

Now...Go Forth & Go Bang!!

:wavey:

red

glockurai
07-11-2011, 20:08
Very few people will actually look for a gun. Most are oblivous and won't notice even if you were to print.
You should be concerned about exposing your gun, unless its not an issue in your state.
Anyways, congrats.

Reb56
07-11-2011, 20:12
It took me a while to even carry chambered but then I figured it was dumb not to.

I carried my G26 around the house in the chambered condition but with no ammo in the gun, carried it that way for a week and put it through the paces and it never discharged. Carried one in the pipe from day one. I agree with you its dumb not to.

Folsom_Prison
07-11-2011, 21:52
Congrats!!

milje
07-11-2011, 21:53
:It took me a while to even carry chambered but then I figured it was dumb not to.

I carried my G26 around the house in the chambered condition but with no ammo in the gun, carried it that way for a week and put it through the paces and it never discharged. Carried one in the pipe from day one. I agree with you its dumb not to.

I did the same thing, walked around the house and drove to my parents house a few times with a loaded mag but an empty chamber to see how she felt. Then I tried walmart and a sporting goods store, when I felt comfy I racked one in the chamber and it hasn't been empty since.

I just got my permit at the end of June.

Reb56
07-11-2011, 22:04
[Did you do the Walmart shuffle? :rofl:

Yep, walked around wally world and no one was any the wiser.

Donn57
07-11-2011, 22:33
Now...Go Forth & Go Bang!!

I'd probably try to avoid the "Go Bang" part while going forth.

Lior
07-11-2011, 23:09
Carry on!

BailRecoveryAgent
07-12-2011, 00:01
Yep, walked around wally world and no one was any the wiser.

But was it an "official" wally world walk? Congrats!
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SBR2340/firsttimecarrywalmarttacticalmap.jpg

RyanBDawg
07-12-2011, 03:37
Ive been carrying for two years now... No problems so far.

RMD
07-12-2011, 08:25

Congrats!

G19/G26/CBST - awesome trio there!

Cruiser1
07-12-2011, 08:54
In over 35 years of carrying I have only had one instance where anyone said something and it was an off duty state cop in Maine. He was very discreet about it, I showed him my permit and he said have a nice day. I did not ask nor did he tell me why he questioned me. I assumed that it was not a big deal or he would have told me or maybe not have been as discreet or polite. I agree most people are totally oblivious to their surroundings and only respond to the obvious if it is staring them right in the face. I think that only people that generally notice gun wearers are others that are also carrying or are trained professionals. OP: Eventualy carrying will become second nature to you and the comfort factor will go up. Stay aware and stay safe.

RussP
07-12-2011, 08:58
OP: Eventualy carrying will become second nature to you and the comfort factor will go up. Stay aware and stay safe.Amen... :thumbsup:

Old Junes
07-12-2011, 12:05
Nice choices. My setup is just like yours. G26 and crossbreed. It took me a while to even carry chambered but then I figured it was dumb not to. I thought I was printing. Anyone ever ask me though and I will tell them it is a colostomy bag.

Haha! Someone asked me if I had a colostomy bag once... I was so baffled by the question I didn't even know what to say. Had NO IDEA they were talking about printing at all :faint:

bluejackets92fs
07-12-2011, 12:25
Haha! Someone asked me if I had a colostomy bag once... I was so baffled by the question I didn't even know what to say. Had NO IDEA they were talking about printing at all :faint:
Well for my friends that don't know I carry it is somewhat believable because I have Crohn's.

Reb56
07-12-2011, 12:48
My daughter got her cwp too. she carries a S&W bodyguard 380. I know shes carring but I can't tell. Future son-in-law also carries too. he has a bug a sig235-nice little gun. I now carry a pocket taurus tcp 738. Carring is starting to become second natue now. I will not go antwhere without carring.

AGAF
07-12-2011, 15:44
I think we were all super paranoid when we first started carrying. I know I was. Like others have said, you'll get to a point where you literally don't think about it anymore.

Great to have another legally armed, law abiding citizen on the streets!!!

Old Junes
07-12-2011, 20:11
Well for my friends that don't know I carry it is somewhat believable because I have Crohn's.

I wasn't meaning to make light of your situation... I hope you didn't take any offense to my comment. :embarassed:

freeride88
07-12-2011, 20:22
If anyone bumps into me and asks, I've always planned to say it was an insulin pump. I don't really wear an insulin pump, and no one has ever asked, but there's the cover story.

Badpuppy6942
07-12-2011, 20:38
I have a quick noob question... for those of you that do carry, do you carry extra mags?

nickcarr
07-12-2011, 21:21
It took me a while to even carry chambered but then I figured it was dumb not to.

Yes this is pretty normal for first-timers. I did this as well. I didn't carry until my 2nd pistol (a generation one, Glock 23.)

It felt weird because there really was no safety on the G23. I didn't carry chambered until I bought a 1911 a few months later. For a long time, I only carried 1911's until I became more confident and knowledgeable in CCW tactics/laws, my responsibilities, etc. I guess I just really liked that thumb safety (and still do!)

Nowadays, I'm just lazy and like to carry a lighter pistol when CCW. :tongueout:

nickcarr
07-12-2011, 21:24
I have a quick noob question... for those of you that do carry, do you carry extra mags?

Sometimes, but with my G31, I'd rather carry my Surefire 6P. I usually keep an extra magazine in the car. :cool:

RMD
07-13-2011, 06:54

I never have. But I've never carried a handgun with less than 10 rounds, either.

Reb56
07-13-2011, 08:41
Hey guys thanks for the encouragement, this is a great forum with tons of good info.

RMD
07-13-2011, 08:44
Hey guys thanks for the encouragement, this is a great forum with tons of good info.

It is a great forum.

Do you have a good carry belt?

I was comfortable carrying using a Dockers leather belt, then I got a Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch and realized what comfortable really meant :)

Reb56
07-13-2011, 08:59
It is a great forum.

Do you have a good carry belt?

I was comfortable carrying using a Dockers leather belt, then I got a Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch and realized what comfortable really meant :)

Right now I wear a military style web belt. I'm checking out the net and local stores here around town on prices(all about the same). A wilderness style is my next investment.

RMD
07-13-2011, 09:46
Right now I wear a military style web belt. I'm checking out the net and local stores here around town on prices(all about the same). A wilderness style is my next investment.

Excellent. Good luck!

Bruce M
07-13-2011, 10:37

Yes - it is as much to deal with a potential magazine failure as it is do address any capacity issues.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-13-2011, 12:10

Yes. I didn't for several years, but I started carrying a spare when I got into bail enforcement, now its just a part of my edc items.

Reb56
07-13-2011, 13:38

I carry an extra mag. (15 rounds) on my person or in my truck. I also have my bug (taurus tcp 738-7rounds).

up1911fan
07-13-2011, 14:00
Congrats on your permit.