Multiple guns, publications in the home. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Multiple guns, publications in the home.

pkdmslf
07-12-2011, 10:01
First off, thank you for supporting this forum and providing your valuable insight to self defense techniques and advice. I've been reading your articles for quite a few years now.

I hope I never have to use my gun in a SD scenario. But I'm confident in being able to use it if needed. I've practiced a lot with it, participated in the local Practical Pistol Shooting meets over the years.

Along with the legal ramifications of modifications to guns used in a justified SD shoot have you seen anything in your experience where the lawyers use against the "justified" SD shooter that they had multiple guns in their home and multiple "publications", i.e., combat shooting, self defense, sniper books, etc. and even the fact that someone has participated in formal shooting competitions?

I could see a lawyer using that as an argument that a person was getting themselves ready or planning on shooting someone by having the "training", reading materials and "multiple" weapons in their homes.

Just curious what your thoughts are on that.

(I'll still buy the books as I "enjoy" reading them.)

Mas Ayoob
07-12-2011, 22:19
I did a couple of cases (NY and TN) where they made an issue of the defendant having been a competitive shooter. Shot down the NY one at the grand jury level, and the TN case in trial, explaining in both cases that the defendants had become competitive shooters because they recognized the responsibility they had to those around them to be competent with the firearms they carried.

Had one in CA where they made a HUGE issue of the guy owning 7 guns. We killed a conviction on that one by showing the jury that, according to outdoor magazine surveys of their subscribers, just the average hunter (not gun collector) owned...7 guns. (You & I probably have more than that. I do, anyway. In that case we'd show the jury that most watch collectors have lots of watches, most book collectors have lots of books, and most gun collectors have lots of guns.)

Be careful of the book collection. We can show the jury that a responsible gun owner would be likely to have multiple reference books on the topic. Stay away from "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out" stuff, though. The single most likely venue for armed citizen defense is the home, at which time the home itself becomes the crime scene and any books there are "fair game" for opposing counsel. Frankly, I'd worry less about gun books and self-defense books than I'd worry about "hate literature" such as "Turner Diaries."

You're wise to think about this beforehand. Too few do. Those who don't think these things can become an issue ... and don't prepare themselves to defend against such an attack in court ... are, in my opinion, "whistling past the graveyard."

That's one reason I became involved with the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network (www.armedcitizensnetwork.org). Go there, and follow the links to what the prosecutors pulled on an armed citizen who fired in self defense in the case of Arizona v. Larry Hickey.

best,
Mas

pkdmslf
07-14-2011, 11:20
Thank you, sir.

I thought there might be some liability with regards what type of publications are in one's home if legal is taken against a justified SD incident.

Oh, I have more than 7 guns too.