Old Gen 1 Tupperware Box Questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old Gen 1 Tupperware Box Questions

patcrad
07-12-2011, 15:51
I have several mint condition Gen 1 model 17's with the original box's. One of the earliest models (ATXXXUS 1986 manfct date) has a box with the 17 bullet holders injected into the molding of the box. The center post (without wings) allows for the firearm to be placed in the box while loaded. (see photo)

I have a later Gen 1 (CSXXXUS 1988 manfct date) with the same style box, but the center post has the wings which does not allow the firearm to be placed into the box loaded (trigger has to be pulled back). When did Glock add the wings to the post, and when did they remove them again? Is there a timeline for how the Glock box has evolved over time?

Also, when did Glock add the "Best in the Market" sticker to the box lid. If the award was given in 1987, then shouldn't there be boxes from 1986 without any stickers on the box lids? I have 1986 manfct Glocks and the lids have the sticker on them. I'm not sure if the lids have been switched inadvertently at some point. I am trying to keep everything consistent for these collectibles.

texasvwnut
07-14-2011, 20:38
I have CR54X and it came with a bullet holder box with wings. This has a serial numbered box to gun.

I also have CR67X and it came with a bullet holder box without wings. The sticker w/ serial number is faded so badly I can not confirm with 100% certainty that it is original.

BTW, both G17s came with "Best in the Market" labels, however, the CR67X came with a 1986 "Best in the Market" lid and the CR54X came with a 1987 lid. Both have December 1987 barrel dates.

chewbackup
07-15-2011, 06:47
It is also worth noting that many times these guns were manufactured, shot, proffed and sat for a while overseas or through importation process. So a gun may have been manufactured in 1986 and may have never seen the light of day until 1987 on US soil. Also take into account that Glocks did not sell at the ridiculous pace that they currently do so any of them may have been sitting for a while.

As far as the Boxes go, My AL prefix 17 has the box without the wings and the bullet holders. I am not too sure when they switched.

patcrad
07-16-2011, 05:34
From what I have read and seen on other threads, Glock originally molded the post with a hole in the box so that the boxes could be stacked fairly high on pallets, and a rod would go through the center of all of them to stabilize the pallets for shipping. The first boxes (AA-BZXXX??) did not have wings on the post and Glock and/or the ATF soon realized that people were storing loaded firearms in the box. At some point, Glock added the wings to the post so the trigger had to be pulled in order to place the firearm in the box. This had it's obvious safety problems as well. Glock removed the wings and went back to the original post. I have also heard that ATF rules forced Glock to eliminate the bullet holders from being molded into the box (around the mid CSXXX range of Glocks??)

I wish the Serial Number Project had additional details on what type of box the early models were shipped with.

texasvwnut
07-16-2011, 09:01
Beautiful collection patcrad!

Romokid
07-16-2011, 16:47
patcrad, I have a G-19 DNxxxUS and it has the post with wings & no bullet holders. Looks like your first pic, except when I got mine back in 1990, the first guy removed all the stickers from the tupperware.

6omega7
08-13-2011, 08:37
Have Gen 1 Glock 17 as described in this thread, with tupperware box as shown in pics. Less than 500 rounds through gun, I am original owner. Should I get factory free upgrades or leave as is ? Am newbie to this forum, and hope I can find this thread again to see if I get any feedback. Thanks

6omega7
08-13-2011, 09:51
I had senior moment, sorry. My tupperware box for my G-17 says "1986 US-AWARD, Best in the Market, *PISTOL CATEGORY, Awarded by: American Firearms Industry and National Association of Federally licensed Firearms Dealers". Serial Number on adhesive paper on end of box matches serial number in pistol and is <CG 81*>. thanks

chewbackup
08-13-2011, 13:41
I would keep everything original as it is, the older Glock in all matching box with original parts are getting harder and harder to find these days. If you need that gun to save your life or it is your only one, I would find someone to trade straight up for a brand new one - and I am sure there are people willing to do it.

smitty704
08-24-2011, 22:41
From what I have read and seen on other threads, Glock originally molded the post with a hole in the box so that the boxes could be stacked fairly high on pallets, and a rod would go through the center of all of them to stabilize the pallets for shipping. The first boxes (AA-BZXXX??) did not have wings on the post and Glock and/or the ATF soon realized that people were storing loaded firearms in the box. At some point, Glock added the wings to the post so the trigger had to be pulled in order to place the firearm in the box. This had it's obvious safety problems as well. Glock removed the wings and went back to the original post. I have also heard that ATF rules forced Glock to eliminate the bullet holders from being molded into the box (around the mid CSXXX range of Glocks??)

I wish the Serial Number Project had additional details on what type of box the early models were shipped with.

Bad ***** collection brother. Sweet pic, I need to add a 17 to my collection. A gen 3 will do it for me.

R.T.
09-19-2011, 18:10
My Gen 1, G-17, CF5XXUS, came in a box without wings and a "Best in Market" sticker with no year shown.

I know some guys made the mistake of shiiping their G-17 to Glock for the upgrade in the original box. When they got them back, they were in a new box (with the wing)

cciman
09-21-2011, 16:20
How much are these old armory boxes worth ? I have 2 to sell.

patcrad
09-23-2011, 10:43
How much are these old armory boxes worth ? I have 2 to sell.

Are they Gen 1 Glock with bullet holders and "Best in Market" label on the lid? If so, and in fairly good shape, you can expect to get anywhere from $40-$60 bucks on ebay, or I could take them from you now for a reasonable price. I am looking for several of these to put some old gen 1's into.