Is it me or are some people just really naive??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or are some people just really naive???

GlockBeni
07-12-2011, 16:47
Every once in a while when having conversations with people about concealed carry maybe out 4-5 conversations you'll get 1 person asking if you carry with one in the chamber. DUH. what is the purpose of carrying if your not loaded ready to protect? their comments are usually "that's dangerous i would never carry like that, that is not safe". My answer is usually a police officer carries with one in the chamber why cant I? and the best safety there is, is your index finger.

How do you guys carry?

17119jfkioe
07-12-2011, 17:02
beat beat beat that horse

Donn57
07-12-2011, 17:04
It's just you.

Spiffums
07-12-2011, 17:27
As in True Grit, So you sprang from cover with you revolvers cocked and loaded.... They don't shoot no other way!

maxniman
07-12-2011, 17:55
beat beat beat that horse

Amen brother:yawn:

Patchman
07-12-2011, 18:14
Oh gosh... not another one... :tongueout:

cowboy1964
07-12-2011, 18:37
Ask Tex Grebner about carrying in Condition One. :whistling: Ok, bad example.

kensteele
07-12-2011, 18:46
Every once in a while when having conversations with people about concealed carry maybe out 4-5 conversations you'll get 1 person asking if you carry with one in the chamber. DUH. what is the purpose of carrying if your not loaded ready to protect? their comments are usually "that's dangerous i would never carry like that, that is not safe". My answer is usually a police officer carries with one in the chamber why cant I? and the best safety there is, is your index finger.

How do you guys carry?

Most of us carry with one in the chamber, you got half of it right. "The best safety is your index finger" is totally cliche and doesn't make sense to the non-gun person. A person is not perfect and therefore not 100% totally in control of their index finger at all times, like when holstering while sitting down or reaching for a falling weapon (not supposed to do but people do it anyway). A weapon that is falling to the ground will not fire off a round no matter what...if there is no round in the chamber. With a round in the chamber, if you're stupid enough to reach for it or if your weapon is defective, maybe AD or ND. Maybe you could explain to those that ask how safe it is to carry with a round in the glock chamber rather than talking about your trigger finger or the police (people don't get the cop is only human connection). Carrying with a round in the chamber is best and carrying without a round in the chamber is second best...and both are way better than no firearm at all.

beforeobamabans
07-12-2011, 18:48
Well, if you consider the average intelligence of the American voter who elected the current president, it's not difficult to imagine some carriers who may not do things competently.

17119jfkioe
07-12-2011, 18:51
Most of us carry with one in the chamber, you got half of it right. "The best safety is your index finger" is totally cliche and doesn't make sense to the non-gun person. A person is not perfect and therefore not 100% totally in control of their index finger at all times, like when holstering while sitting down or reaching for a falling weapon (not supposed to do but people do it anyway). A weapon that is falling to the ground will not fire off a round no matter what...if there is no round in the chamber. With a round in the chamber, if you're stupid enough to reach for it or if your weapon is defective, maybe AD or ND. Maybe you could explain to those that ask how safe it is to carry with a round in the glock chamber rather than talking about your trigger finger or the police (people don't get the cop is only human connection). Carrying with a round in the chamber is best and carrying without a round in the chamber is second best...and both are way better than no firearm at all.

this is really the last post needed for this thread. Summed it up perfectly. Save this post please so when someone else posts this same question, probably within 24 hours, you can add this and the pointless, circular argument can cease to exist:supergrin:

BLau
07-12-2011, 19:15
I carry with one in the hand. Beat that...:whistling:

dgg9
07-12-2011, 19:45
Most of us carry with one in the chamber, you got half of it right. "The best safety is your index finger" is totally cliche and doesn't make sense to the non-gun person.

Good post....except this statement:

A person is not perfect and therefore not 100% totally in control of their index finger at all times, like when holstering while sitting down or reaching for a falling weapon (not supposed to do but people do it anyway).

...doesn't really lead to:

Carrying with a round in the chamber is best and carrying without a round in the chamber is second best...and both are way better than no firearm at all.

I mean, you've just stated with admirable clarity why some people might reasonably opt for chamber empty.

dgg9
07-12-2011, 19:53
Ask Tex Grebner about carrying in Condition One. :whistling: Ok, bad example.

Coincidentally, Todd Green has several very good blog posts (along with some good comments) on that whole Serpa-ND incident.

Yet his take on the Serpa issue could equally well apply to the "only chamber loaded is valid" crowd (to be clear, I have no idea what TLG things on that issue, but the words are great):

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4935

KTM950S
07-12-2011, 20:40
Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY)

dgg9
07-12-2011, 20:43
Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syxrpLbaEuY)

A staged video, from someone who obviously doesn't carry that way,and would be unlikely to prevail even with a round in the chamber.

Depending how close I preposition the attacker from the defender is this pseudo FoF, I can "prove" that:

1. C3 works fine
2. C1 works but C3 doesn't
3. No gun solution works.

David Armstrong
07-12-2011, 20:50

How do you guys carry?
Search function is your friend. But having said that, my standard response is that both chamber empty and chamber loaded carry offer advantages and disadvantages. The trick is to figure out which method provides the greatest advantages and least disadvantages depending on your particular situation and your particular needs and your particular concerns. For some folks that might be chamber loaded. For many others that might be chamber empty. Fortunately in the world of CCW there isn't enough difference to matter in most situations. So no, some people are not just naive, some people have different situations and make a rational and informed decision that might be different than your decision for your situation.

DaGroaner
07-12-2011, 21:06
My first rule of concealed carry is don't talk about concealed carry... that's what the internet is for.

E-Money
07-12-2011, 22:24
Search function is your friend. But having said that, my standard response is that both chamber empty and chamber loaded carry offer advantages and disadvantages. The trick is to figure out which method provides the greatest advantages and least disadvantages depending on your particular situation and your particular needs and your particular concerns. For some folks that might be chamber loaded. For many others that might be chamber empty. Fortunately in the world of CCW there isn't enough difference to matter in most situations. So no, some people are not just naive, some people have different situations and make a rational and informed decision that might be different than your decision for your situation.

Very well said sir.

Sheepdog Scout
07-13-2011, 02:10
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/Master_Mold/SFsm.png

MadMonkey
07-13-2011, 03:20
Practice both, use whichever works for you. I practice with a loaded chamber, empty chamber, racking the slide with one hand, racking with both, drawing from a Level III holster with my non-dominant hand, etc etc.

I carry exactly the same way every time though, whether it's my LCP or USPc.

emopunker2004
07-13-2011, 03:59
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Bill Lumberg
07-13-2011, 07:01
What a police officer should or does do isn't relevant to what you as a ccw'er should or should not do. Carrying chambered or unchambered are both valid ccw choices. Every once in a while when having conversations with people about concealed carry maybe out 4-5 conversations you'll get 1 person asking if you carry with one in the chamber. DUH. what is the purpose of carrying if your not loaded ready to protect? their comments are usually "that's dangerous i would never carry like that, that is not safe". My answer is usually a police officer carries with one in the chamber why cant I? and the best safety there is, is your index finger.

How do you guys carry?

fuzzy03cls
07-13-2011, 07:49
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm pie..........................

gunslinger3
07-13-2011, 10:09
As in True Grit, So you sprang from cover with you revolvers cocked and loaded.... They don't shoot no other way!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just saw that one. Great movie!

wjv
07-13-2011, 10:42
Andy makes me carry my only bullet in my shirt pocket. . . . :sad: