36 Owner - Again! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 36 Owner - Again!

Dave T
07-12-2011, 21:06
I bought one of the first G36s I saw, shortly after they came out (sometime back in the 1990s). Didn't have any function problems but got bit on the 3rd finger, between the butt and the mag, every time I shot it. 50 rounds and I would have a huge blood blister and be changing my grip on the gun. That was way before anyone offered accessories for the 36, like mag extensions, so I eventually sold it.

Been reading about how the Pierce +0 mag extensions solved the pinching problem so when a used G36 crossed my path I decided to try it again. Got the +0 extensions and a plug today. Also installed a standard dot XS front Tritium sight and my favored 3.5# connector/NY#1 ignition components. Going to the range in the morning and see if this thing bites or not. I'll report on the results.

Dave

Kapuna
07-13-2011, 06:32
Congrats on your G36... Mine is still kinda new to me also...
I recently had found an unfired 2005 model with night sights...
And I agree, the Pearce +0 extensions are a HUGE improvement to get a good grip... I also added the Crimson Trace Laserguard to it....
Now I just need the extended slide stop, which will be a HUGE help...

Looking forward to your report...
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/199810fZM9/11566160.jpg

Dave T
07-13-2011, 14:14
Well now, wasn't that interesting! I am glad to report the Pierce +0 mag base pads solved the pinching problem. Never felt a thing in 60 rounds of fairly rapid fire shooting, all but two rounds of which stayed inside the "A" zones of an IPSC silhouette at 7 yards. Only two problems arose, which I fear are going to cost money to fix.

First, the idiot trigger safety wants to bind in the trigger, stabbing the index finger rather than depressing into the slot it is supposed to fit in. I have run into that phenomena occasionally with other Glocks but never with the frequency I experienced with this 36. Since I also don't like the grooved triggers Glock ships in their smaller guns I will probably end up buying an after market trigger like the Lightning Strike, since they make one specifically for the 36.

The second problem is the ammo of choice for carry, at least it was what I wanted to carry in the gun, doesn't feed reliably. Well crap! I've always like the Hornady 200g XTP (standard pressure) load for light weight 45s and thought it would be fine for the 36. Had numerous problems loading the first round, starting with the slide locked back. The Hornadys wanted to feed straight forward, stopping dead against the bottom of the barrel's feed ramp. One mag would feed them once things got going but the other one occasionally would hang the XTPs up mid magazine. My handloads, consisting of a Berry's 200g RS plated bullet fed through the 36 like a knife through hot butter. Never even a hint of a problem feeding with those. Guess I need to find a factory round with the same bullet profile.

Since I have several thousand rounds of 45 ACP loaded with lead alloy bullets, and since the factory barrel isn't proving to be as dead reliable at feeding as one would expect with a Glock, I may have to look into an after market barrel as well. I know BarSto and Lone Wolf make barrels for the 36. Anyone know of any other makers?

Dave

Ridgerunner665
07-13-2011, 21:20
I've put about 3,000 rounds of 230 +P XTP's through my 36...never a problem.

I'm of the opinion that 36's prefer warm ammo (they DO have stiff springs)

Dave T
07-14-2011, 16:41
I've put about 3,000 rounds of 230 +P XTP's through my 36...never a problem.

I'm of the opinion that 36's prefer warm ammo (they DO have stiff springs)

I find it interesting that your 36 feeds the XTP bullet as that is the one my "new to me" single stacker won't feed. My problem isn't in the cycling of the gun but getting the first round to feed from the magazine when loading. It heads straight forward to the feed ramp and stops...dead. The radius of the Berry's RS (Round Shoulder - Dah!) just slides up the ramp but the Hornady sticks.

Some previous owner polished the ramp on this gun and I had hoped that was all they did. Perhaps they changed the contour or angle of the ramp with a too aggressive polish job. As I said in my second post, I may have to go the after market barrel route. As of right now, the only makers I know of for the 36 are BarSto and Lone Wolf. Not sure I want to spend the money for a BarSto so I better call Lone Wolf...after a trip to Glockmeister to talk to the folks there.

Dave

Ridgerunner665
07-14-2011, 18:32
I don't know...I just thought I'd throw it out there.

XTP's are all I shoot, I bought several thousand of them a few years back in a "bulk buy"... I load my own to +P levels, and carry Hornady 230 +P TAP.

I've only had my 36 a few months, but its been shot plenty...before that I carried a 1911, and the XTP has been my go to bullet for a long time...if a pistol won't feed XTP's, something is wrong with it...just my 2 cents.

If I were you...I'd just send it to Glock and request a new barrel, and let them check everything else out while its there....shouldn't cost much.

These 36's are awesome, and darn accurate for a carry pistol...but they are not target pistols, and unless you plan on shooting lead bullets only...there is no advantage to the aftermarket barrels IMO...besides, the polygonal rifling makes that short barrel shoot like a 4.25" barrel (same velocity)

Example:
Hornady 230 +P TAP chrono's 850 fps from my 36...right where the ole warhorse does its best work.

Kapuna
07-14-2011, 18:50
My problem isn't in the cycling of the gun but getting the first round to feed from the magazine when loading. It heads straight forward to the feed ramp and stops...dead. Dave
I've been loading up with Hornady TAP...
My son gave me about 15 rounds, so not real sure about the specs on it....
On my G36, the first round sometimes gets caught also if I try to ease it into battery...
However, if I slingshot the slide... no problem... everything works as planned..
The springs on a G36 are much stronger than on the G26 I had, so it has to be manhandled a bit more, IMO...
YMMV...

Dave T
07-14-2011, 20:54
...the first round sometimes gets caught also if I try to ease it into battery...
However, if I slingshot the slide... no problem... everything works as planned...so it has to be manhandled a bit more, IMO...

Trust me, this 36 was not treated gently. I haven't tried to load a gun by the "ease it into battery" method in more than 30 years. This thing just doesn't like the XTP bullet, certainly not for the first one being chambered.

It costs at least $100 to ship a gun to and from a gun smith/factory. For that I can get at least a LW barrel (or most of one) and get it in 4" length. The extra length won't make a bit of difference in carrying but might eek out a couple more fps. Besides I still have several thousand rounds of 45 ACP from my IPSC/IDPA competition days, loaded with lead alloy bullets. Might as well shoot them up in practice. Every other gun I have in this caliber will eat them, no reason the G36 shouldn't do the same.

Dave

Ridgerunner665
07-14-2011, 20:56
You're shipping guns using the wrong methods...

Take it to your favorite FFL, and let them ship it...mine does it for $10. (any gun...anywhere, except CA)

Kapuna
07-15-2011, 05:29
Trust me, this 36 was not treated gently. I haven't tried to load a gun by the "ease it into battery" method in more than 30 years. Dave

The whole "Glock" thing is relatively new to me, so easing into battery was my problem at first...
I'm used to the slide release of a "1911", so I had to learn by trial and error...
According to what I've read, the G36 has a slide stop and it's not to be used as a release into battery...
I'm still learning about Glock I suppose, but impressed with my G36 so far...

I'm with you on the Lone Wolf barrel...looking at them myself....
Mainly to shoot lead reloads...
At $120 shipped, it could pay for itself with a few thousand reloads...
I'm still pondering that investment....

Dave T
07-17-2011, 21:12
Have any of the 36 fans/owners reading this thread ever seen/handled/owned one of the Lightning Strike G36 triggers? It is the only smooth trigger I can find for the 36 but am a bit put off by the price. I'd like to hear from someone has handled a gun with that trigger in place before ordering from Brownells.

Dave

Ridgerunner665
07-17-2011, 21:13
Not me...Its just a carry gun to me, other than night sights and Pearce +0 extensions...no mods added.

Dave T
07-18-2011, 08:07
Not me...Its just a carry gun to me, other than night sights and Pearce +0 extensions...no mods added.

It's just a carry gun to me as well, but early on I mentioned the inertial safety hanging up in the trigger. It is a persistent problem with this gun that has to be solved. I've never liked the grooved triggers on Glocks and always change them for the smooth version...except Glock doesn't make a smooth trigger for the 36. Hence, the look at the LS trigger.

Dave

Ridgerunner665
07-18-2011, 08:47
Understood...

dreis454
07-18-2011, 09:06
Have any of the 36 fans/owners reading this thread ever seen/handled/owned one of the Lightning Strike G36 triggers? It is the only smooth trigger I can find for the 36 but am a bit put off by the price. I'd like to hear from someone has handled a gun with that trigger in place before ordering from Brownells.

Dave

This is what i did for a 'smooth' face trigger...

Order a Trigger/bar for a G37....remove the trigger from the bar & installit on your 36's bar.....If you still don't like it change it back OR buy a new trigger/bar for your 36....costs around $20.w/shipping

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=481&CAT=137

It state that it will not fit the 36 but it means the BAR will not fit...the trigger itself certainly does.

Dave T
08-11-2011, 17:42
The saying goes, "Life is what happens while you're making other plans!"

Took my sister out for a practice session today. She has been carrying a G19 for several years, since she gave up on her 1991A1 Commander as too heavy. Several times she's said she would rather be shooting 45s and so I let her try the G36 today. Well, 50 rounds of my reloads and a couple magazines of the carry load I found for it and she wanted one just like it.

While she was making plans to sell the G19, or possibly trade it on a G36, she asked if there was any chance to find a used one. Since I had looked for over a year before finding the one I had just bought I did the honorable thing and gave her the 36. She insisted on trading the G19 back to me so now I have another 19...and a very happy sister who's shooting a 45 again.

Oh, did I mention that she's 70 years old? (smile)

Dave

the perfesser
08-13-2011, 13:01
Since I had looked for over a year before finding the one I had just bought I did the honorable thing and gave her the 36.

Our God is a loving God, and He will reward your act of fraternal love...... Maybe in the shape of a low-price new G36?

Dave T
08-13-2011, 21:04
Appreciate the kind thought Professor but the smile on her face after the first couple magazines was reward enough. And I've got her old G19 for trading material. (smile)

Dave

G36_Me
08-24-2011, 16:18
Wow, $100 for the G36 Lightning Strike trigger. I'd have to shoot one before buying. I agree the G36 can be a bit flaky with what ammo it eats. Mine does eat FMJ 230gr like candy and a few other bullet styles, but not all.

Deployment Solu
08-24-2011, 17:55
I run Corbon 185 gr DPX in my G36. They run flawlessly and I have never even considered another ammo choice.

Running Rabbit
07-25-2012, 17:27
I too had to have one of the first G36's that came out years ago. Carried it for over a year and sold it. Don't remember why.
Now I have traded a Glock 27 that I picked up cheap to a lady who bought a brand new Glock 36 for concealed carry and felt it was just too much gun for her.

She's happy and so am I. Now I need to look into the +0 extension ya'll are talking about. Sounds like I need one. And night sights. And a 3.5 pound trigger connector. And more ammo.

CanyonMan
07-25-2012, 21:16
Mine eats all my XTP relaods I can throw in it. No problems with any ammo in any way..

CM