Night Sights or Lasermax? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night Sights or Lasermax?

coleslaw
07-13-2011, 07:20
I am setting up my G19 gen 3 as my EDC. If I go night sights I'm going to get XS big dots. But I think the Lasemax guide rod might be a better idea because it may excel better in a high duress situation. What are your opinions and experiences with either? Trij's and mepro's are ruled out. I had mepro's and while they were like 3 little green lanterns at night, I couldn't hit crap during the day with them. All opinions and recommondations are appreciated, thanks for reading.

Bill Lumberg
07-13-2011, 07:27
Lasers are no substitute for proper marksmanship and use of sights. Lasermax lasers are top of the heap for glocks (as lasers go), but they do not take the place of sights. For ccw, night sights aren't as important as they would be for law enforcement, but I still think they're a very good idea. During the day, night sights are no different than regular sights, you're using the sights, not the lamps in them. At night, you're aiming not via the sights, but the luminous vials embedded in the sights.

Glock30Eric
07-13-2011, 08:03
Why not both? I have both of it on my Glock 30. It is a peace of mind when I have both of it on my Glock.

coleslaw
07-13-2011, 08:20
During the day, night sights are no different than regular sights, you're using the sights, not the lamps in them. At night, you're aiming not via the sights, but the luminous vials embedded in the sights.

That's the problem I had with my mep's and trijicons. All I could see was the lamps. I tried using them like Iron sights(read that from the Larry Vickers website) but I was squinting and taking a long time to hit my target. That's why I was thinking about the XS big dots because of the large white dot.

Glock30Eric
07-13-2011, 08:45
That's the problem I had with my mep's and trijicons. All I could see was the lamps. I tried using them like Iron sights(read that from the Larry Vickers website) but I was squinting and taking a long time to hit my target. That's why I was thinking about the XS big dots because of the large white dot.

$2 paint pens could have solved this problem. I have meprolight sight system on my glock. I painted white around the rear sight system alike to the Glock's sight system. On the front sight, I painted bright orange around the light of the mepro, and it is perfect.

up1911fan
07-13-2011, 14:00
While both is never a bad idea, i'd be getting NS before a laser.

Glock30Eric
07-13-2011, 14:08
While both is never a bad idea, i'd be getting NS before a laser.

That is what I did. I brought a used lasermax guide rod for $180.

It was interesting experience when I brought an used lasermax guide rod. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I contacted the owner that was selling it. I asked what is the status of it, and he said everything is perfect. He just don’t carry G30 anymore. I was kinda of baffled with that, but I brought it anyway. <o:p></o:p>
When I got the lasermax and I discovered that the lasermax’s recoil spring was worn out, and the len of it was in a bad shape. <o:p></o:p>
Good thing that I knew that lasermax would have cover all of those problems at no cost. So I shipped it the lasermax for warranty-fix, and it came back as it was new. Wow, I still couldn’t believe that I brought it for a half price of a brand new lasermax.

Glock21Owner
07-13-2011, 14:21
I would get night sights with green front and red or orange rear

PghJim
07-13-2011, 19:26
Night sights are most important because the laser could fail for a couple of reasons and you may not turn it on in a moment of excitement. If you can afford it, I would get both. I have 5 Glocks set up that way. The XS Big Dot is probably a good option, but I never liked them because you lose precision shooting. Probably no an issue in SD, but it took the fun factor out of shooting.

fmfdocglock
07-13-2011, 19:37
Night sights don't have batteries that can run down.

RayB
07-20-2011, 14:18
Night Sights and Laser Sights are passive/aggressive targeting tools, independent of one another, and I see no reason not to equip your gun with both…

On bedside guns, I'm also a fan of weapon-mounted lights...

While I respect the comments made so far, and the spirit in which they’re offered, I would suggest that any shooter begin by acquiring basic gun handling and marksmanship skills as a foundation to gun ownership. That said, speaking carefully, I would submit that other than grip, trigger, and safety protocols, laser designators do indeed circumvent the usual marksmanship skills needed to target, and if necessary, shoot an immediate threat. I mean, that’s rather the whole point, isn’t it?

With a laser sight, there’s no reason to sight down the barrel, since the laser ostensibly projects the gun’s front sight onto the target; in fact, sighting down the barrel with a laser engaged would only waste valuable time.

Hitting the target while using a laser is all grip and trigger control; and this does require a little practice, both dry and live fire, to become proficient at it. However, it is a faster learning curve than using the open sights, and once proficiency is acquired, you will be able to center-core targets with boring regularity.

For Glocks I also favor the LaserMax. But there certainly is something to be said for instant-on in a CCW or BUG!

The LaserMax in my wife’s 3rd Gen G19 has been flawless. Below are two pics of Judy’s G19 set up with…

- Trijicon Night Sights
- SureFire X200B Weapon Light
- LaserMax Guide Rod Laser
- G18 33-Round Magazine

The gun’s performance with all of the above-mentioned accessories has been flawless.

As weapon lights go, I'd rate the top three in the following order...

- SureFire X400
- Insight WX150
- Streamlight TLR-1 C4

As for night sights, all I can offer is my previously posted and well-received Night Sight Review…

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have an additional protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some have been known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

RayB

--Ray

boomhower
07-20-2011, 21:07
Night sights first, batteries die and rest assured it will be at the worst possible time.

JuneyBooney
07-20-2011, 21:13
I am not fond of lights on guns because the perps shoot at the lights. I would either go with both or the laser because it is more intimidating. The purpose of a gun is to prevent violence or protect your life. Good luck in your decision.

RayB
07-23-2011, 07:13
1) I am not fond of lights on guns because the perps shoot at the lights.

2) I would either go with both or the laser because it is more intimidating.

3) The purpose of a gun is to prevent violence or protect your life. Good luck in your decision.

1) You'd have to weigh that possibility against the advantage of having a free hand to open doors, call 911, loose the dog, finish your sandwich, etc.

Besides, are you really going to target your perp with a one-handed grip, while holding a flashlight at arms-length with the other hand, in a situation like that?

At any rate, it would be foolish to saunter around the house with an intruder inside, with your light and laser blazing. Proper use of these things requires practice and drills.

I suppose a lot depends on just how dark the room is...

2) A blinding light in the eyes is intimidating too. A strobing light can be incapacitating to a perp.

3) Yes, with the threat of equal or greater violence!

--Ray

JimD303
07-24-2011, 22:38
Avoid the Big Dots, total gimmick unless you have absolutely awful eye sight (even then FO's might be better).

The LaserMax guide-rod is not that great, either. You have to active it consciously, there is no way to prevent it from projecting once it's on, and can provide a target indicator unless you constantly turn it off and on, it's right below the muzzle and GSR cover the lens on it rapidly, and you can't pinpoint the zero on it.

Honestly, the only pistol lasers worth using are the Crimson Trace units.

Night sights, lasers and lights are not substitutes for each other. All three have their advantages, and a light source is always mandatory (handheld or weapon mounted).