Laptop screen going black [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Laptop screen going black

ClydeG19
07-13-2011, 09:57
I've got an HP G60 that has the screen starting to go black at random times. If you look really closely, you can still see what was up on the screen. The computer is still running...it seems to be just the screen having the problems. What part could be dying to cause this?

IndyGunFreak
07-13-2011, 10:32
If you can still see the "desktop" (even though its very dark) then it's obviously some sort of backlight is going out on the laptop.

I'm going through this w/ my laptop right now, except I get no display whatsoever. However, sound, etc.. works when I turn the laptop on. It even responds to the keyboard.

I'm hoping it's either the display inverter, or the display cable, both of which are super easy to replace on my Laptop (already pulled it apart). I ordered the parts yesterday, only $20 for a new inverter and new cable, so it was worth the try to fix it.

If it doesn't work, I'll strip the memory and HD, and sell it for $30 on ebay. The motherboard/cpu is worth that.

Detectorist
07-13-2011, 11:38
If you can still see the "desktop" (even though its very dark) then it's obviously some sort of backlight is going out on the laptop.

I'm going through this w/ my laptop right now, except I get no display whatsoever. However, sound, etc.. works when I turn the laptop on. It even responds to the keyboard.

I'm hoping it's either the display inverter, or the display cable, both of which are super easy to replace on my Laptop (already pulled it apart). I ordered the parts yesterday, only $20 for a new inverter and new cable, so it was worth the try to fix it.

If it doesn't work, I'll strip the memory and HD, and sell it for $30 on ebay. The motherboard/cpu is worth that.

Were you able to hook up an external monitor and have that work?

ClydeG19
07-13-2011, 14:18
Haven't tried an external monitor. I don't have one at home.

Ogreon
07-13-2011, 18:32
I don't know if you've got fluorescent lighting in this thing and I haven't seen how this plays out in monitors. But fluorescent can start disappearing for brief periods before it kicks out entirely.

On the bright side...

Maybe your laptop is fine and you're just getting cataracts.

Drjones
07-14-2011, 23:58
I've dealt with this exact issue several times and it is the power inverter.

Research it online to see if you'd be comfortable replacing it yourself...if not, find a reputable local shop to do it.