Is there a way to save a over-polished firing pin? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to save a over-polished firing pin?

SalfromCal
07-13-2011, 10:01
One of the guys at the range is a Glock Armorer:upeyes:..... but to make a long story short, he did the so-called .25 cent trigger job to my G17 and over-polished the side of the firing pin were it engages or make contact with the raised back leg/portion of the trigger bar and part of the hard nickel plating was removed so the result was an even harder pull. He replaced the damaged pin with a new one and since I have the old one, I was wondering if there's a way to fix it and re-use it?

JR
07-13-2011, 10:24
You want to try and save a $15 part that has been modified? Why take a chance? Dump it and move on.

SalfromCal
07-15-2011, 21:08
Looks like we are in the same book but not the same page :upeyes:..... I'm talking about a damaged stricker or firing pin, not the $15 Trigger w/TriggerBar. A firing pin is $40-$45 online (including Lone Wolf), but if you know somebody or some place who sells Glock firing pins for $15 let me know, so I can buy a couple of them.
Anyhow, I already have a new firing pin installed, I was just asking if there was a way to fix the damaged pin by making the surface smooth again so I can re-use it for target shooting and the answer is yes, I just found out that it can be done with a #600 Wet/Dry Ultra Fine Sandpaper used very gentle will make the surface back to normal and then finish it up with the #1000. After 200 rounds, the old pin works like a charm.

JR
07-16-2011, 13:59
My mistake, I confused the trigger bar statement with the striker. Sorry.
The problem with refacing the striker (leg) is keeping it square. If you round it, there could be a problem. Keeping anything square seems to be an issue for the majority of people so I apply the CYA factor and recommend against it.