Serpa [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Serpa

Boring
07-13-2011, 11:45
What are your thoughts on the SERPA holster, and do you allow them in classes?

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2011, 19:15
I do allow them, and own some and occasionally use them. The key thing is for the user to apply proper technique and not get ahead of himself.

First, to keep from stalling the drawn, I push down on the gun and hit the SERPA's release with the flat fingerprint of the trigger finger, THEN begin the draw. If upward movement of the gun precedes release of the paddle, it will lock and not release the gun. If this panics the shooter, he can rush too hard to catch up on lost time.

It is important to use what I call the "fingerprint" of the trigger finger instead of the tip, because if the tip is used to release the paddle, now it's poised to enter the trigger guard as soon as it clears the holster, which can lead to a premature/unintended discharge with any holster. While I hold a drawn gun with the finger in register with the tip on the frame above the trigger guard -- for several reasons, one of which IS to get the finger on the trigger fast if I need it there -- in drawing from the holster, I've found it safer to keep the trigger finger extended. "Feeling the fingerprint tracking up the holster" gives a felt index to the shooter that helps keep him from getting his finger on the trigger too early.

best,
Mas

RussP
07-14-2011, 07:15
Mas, I'd like to add my personal experience after using Serpas for 5-years.

Boring, start slow when mastering your draw technique, slow as in slow motion. Concentrate on the feels Mas talks about - the push down, the flat of your trigger finger on the release button, the up-pull and your finger moving up the holster and onto the pistol frame, etc.

Don't try to match Mas' one/tenth second draw from under a heavy coat :wavey: at the beginning. Get to know what it feels like doing it right, have patience. When you get into a situation, you want your muscles to know what to do. Your mind may/will be otherwise occupied.

Thanks, Mas, for letting me butt in.