need info on Laserlyte rear sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need info on Laserlyte rear sights

bob gill
07-13-2011, 21:53
1. I have just discovered the Laserlyte sights on sale for generally around $150.
Ive watched some videos on it, and wondered if some of the glock people have bought it, used it, and evaluated it for others interested in a purchase. I'd like some advice.

2. I'm sort of looking at Uncle MIke's fannypack for a glock 27. anyone have one and can offer their thoughts on the pack, ease of use, etc..

3. I'm looking for info/recommendations for the purchase of good ear protection and eye protection, also.

Thank you. newguy, bgill

BroncoAZ
07-13-2011, 22:32
Bob,

First off, welcome.

I have a friend who has a set of the Laserlyte on a G23. I haven't shot his gun with them, but I don't care for things that add weight to the slide. I do like the laser guide rods, they add nothing to the outside of the gun. Lasers are really not necessary, you'd be better off spending the $150 on some decent night sights and practice ammo.

Where I live there are two kinds of men who carry fanny packs: gays and guys carrying a gun. No offense to either group, but they aren't exactly fashionable anymore. I have had discussions with other people about fanny packs basically being open carry. They can be cumbersome to draw from, and there are many other good options for proper holsters.

For eye and ear protection, for shooting indoors I use ear plugs and ear muffs, the higher dB rating the better, -25dB minimum. For outdoor shooting either one is fine. The electronic ones that allow you to hear people around you are nice if you shoot socially (matches and such) but otherwise not really necessary. For eye protection, any decent safety glasses will do. The ANSI Z87.1 stamp on the lens means it is an approved safety lens that meets OSHA standards.

gargodude
07-22-2011, 17:43
Bob,
Here is my experience with Laserlyte. Hope it helps. OMEGA5 had a similar experience.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1206739

Having also tried a LaserMax Sabre, I concluded that they both didn't help my shooting and in fact, slowed me down. I returned the Laserlyte and sold the LaserMax Sabre on e-Bay. Going to Meprolight night sights from now on.

jblack58
07-23-2011, 10:04
I bought two, one for my G23 and one for my G36, when they first came on the market. At the time, I thought it was a little difficult to get to the switch normally and probably would be very difficult in a stress situation.
After shooting approx 100 rounds at the range, the switch of the one on my G23 malfunctioned. The unit would not turn off using my finger. I had to press very hard with a punch to get it to turn off. I contacted laserlyte and they sent me a replacement. Within a few weeks I had the same problem with the second one I had bought, so I removed them from both guns and went to crimson trace. I think the activation on the CTC is the best. It is instinctive and doesn't require any thinking. I would suggest you forget about the Laserlyte and get a CTC.

SGT HATRED
07-23-2011, 10:15
I loved mine and I bought it used for only 75$. The only thing is the dot is not as bright as any of my crimson traces. I changed out the batteries with some fresh ones and it still didn't compare to a CT with year old batteries... Not sure if it was abused before I got it or what, but it still worked great.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/Glock30100.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q37/Merlin-X/dbd44f3f767e4c69013bc1fbd4d41e38--1--aa12e57c4fa4841f90a27190c1a529931025JPGlargejpg--large.jpg

Chowser
07-23-2011, 11:38
Not a fan of having to adjust lasers on a pistol. I have had a lasermax internal laser on my Glock 22 that did 7+ years of service with no issue then I moved it to my Glock 31. It still shoots where I point it but we don't use the lasers to shoot. We generally use it as a deescalation tool. Usually when someone sees the red dot on them they finally agree to give up and be arrested.

TheSorb
07-23-2011, 11:52
I have a set on my XD40 service and I'm planning to get another for my Glock 22. I really like them. They work great, they're tough as nails, and, due to their location, they don't get dirty from gunshot residue like rail mounts or guide rod lasers. I say - give 'em a try! :thumbsup: