Macbook Pro Repair [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Repair

gemeinschaft
07-14-2011, 00:41
I received a Macbook Pro from a very nice gentleman here on GT. Basically, I had posted that I am taking in Used and/or damaged laptops to help support a church effort to benefit kids who otherwise would be without a computer for school, etc...

The Macbook Pro I received was in pretty rough shape. Apparently, it had been doused in water or some kind of fluid.

The guy that sent the Macbook Pro said that it would be worth sending if I could just recover some of his data... Done deal.

The data part was harder than I thought on a Mac, but I was able to recover what he wanted.

Now, for the fun part.

The Macbook would not boot, but it did make some signs of life when I attempted to power it on.

I ended up removing the RAM and found one of the RAM sticks had corroded ends where you should normally see bright copper.

I pulled the Motherboard and took it outside. With some Brake Cleaner, a toothbrush and a lot of care; I gentle scrubbed the contacts for the RAM on the motherboard.

Did I mention that the battery had swelled so much that it busted the battery case?

Anywho, upon a through cleaning, I allowed the parts to dry and then without a battery and only the power supply plugged in, I hit the power Button.

Let there be life!!!

So basically, in order to get this MBP into a condition where I can donate it, I need to pickup a keyboard assembly and a new battery.

Not bad, eh?

BTW: This is my first time to use Brake Cleaner on a laptop. I couldn't mess it up more than it already was, so it was more of an experiment.

With another keyboard plugged in, I am able to type just fine.

Pretty cool. :cool::cool:

wct097
07-14-2011, 04:59
That's good stuff. How old is the MBP? If you get it running again, I'd be willing to bet that you could get $4-500 out of it. Maybe more if it's newer.

gemeinschaft
07-14-2011, 06:45
That's good stuff. How old is the MBP? If you get it running again, I'd be willing to bet that you could get $4-500 out of it. Maybe more if it's newer.

The computers that I receive are not being sold. I have been rebuilding computers and making working machines out of what is donated. Kids in school pretty much need a computer now, to perform research, write papers, etc...

My church has a program that helps int he community and although I don't have a lot of money to give, I do have my time.

I posted that I was looking for old laptops in the GNG forum and more than 8 laptops were shipped to me. 2 Usable so far and the others are probably boneyard candidate that will yield working parts to something else.

wct097
07-14-2011, 07:07
Ahh.... gotcha. Thoughtyou were getting them to fix to sell to support the program.

GIockGuy24
07-14-2011, 14:40
There are some versions of Linux that will boot on Intel Macs without Mac OS X installed. I know Sabayon Linux was one of the first to do so. I'm not sure how many others followed. I think there are couple of more now but I'm not sure Ubuntu ever went that route. It may require Mac OS X be installed in order to boot. There is a solution and Sabayon Linux has it by default so it should be an available solution. Ubuntu may or may not be able to do that out of the box now. I know they have the pressing the "C" key to boot from CD but I don't think it's any just CD unless Mac OS X is already installed.

gemeinschaft
07-14-2011, 14:46
There are some versions of Linux that will boot on Intel Macs without Mac OS X installed. I know Sabayon Linux was one of the first to do so. I'm not sure how many others followed. I think there are couple of more now but I'm not sure Ubuntu ever went that route. It may require Mac OS X be installed in order to boot. There is a solution and Sabayon Linux has it by default so it should be an available solution. Ubuntu may or may not be able to do that out of the box now. I know they have the pressing the "C" key to boot from CD but I don't think it's any just CD unless Mac OS X is already installed.

The original owner of this Macbook Pro is sending me the Mac OS CDs, so I am going to pass it along as Steve Jobs would have intended.

Detectorist
07-14-2011, 15:48
I received a Macbook Pro from a very nice gentleman here on GT. Basically, I had posted that I am taking in Used and/or damaged laptops to help support a church effort to benefit kids who otherwise would be without a computer for school, etc...

The Macbook Pro I received was in pretty rough shape. Apparently, it had been doused in water or some kind of fluid.

The guy that sent the Macbook Pro said that it would be worth sending if I could just recover some of his data... Done deal.

The data part was harder than I thought on a Mac, but I was able to recover what he wanted.

Now, for the fun part.

The Macbook would not boot, but it did make some signs of life when I attempted to power it on.

I ended up removing the RAM and found one of the RAM sticks had corroded ends where you should normally see bright copper.

I pulled the Motherboard and took it outside. With some Brake Cleaner, a toothbrush and a lot of care; I gentle scrubbed the contacts for the RAM on the motherboard.

Did I mention that the battery had swelled so much that it busted the battery case?

Anywho, upon a through cleaning, I allowed the parts to dry and then without a battery and only the power supply plugged in, I hit the power Button.

Let there be life!!!

So basically, in order to get this MBP into a condition where I can donate it, I need to pickup a keyboard assembly and a new battery.

Not bad, eh?

BTW: This is my first time to use Brake Cleaner on a laptop. I couldn't mess it up more than it already was, so it was more of an experiment.

With another keyboard plugged in, I am able to type just fine.

Pretty cool. :cool::cool:

In the 'old days', we used to submerge the circuit boards in dry cleaning fluid. I'm talking about the days of the S-100 board standard. Some folks used alcohol to draw out all the moisture. Looks like you were very successful with your own stuff!

GotGlock1917
07-14-2011, 17:35
Did you ever try electrical contact cleaner on your brakes?

BTW, good job!

g29andy
07-14-2011, 17:44
another use for brake cleaner besides instant kills on wasps!

gemeinschaft
07-14-2011, 18:42
In the 'old days', we used to submerge the circuit boards in dry cleaning fluid. I'm talking about the days of the S-100 board standard. Some folks used alcohol to draw out all the moisture. Looks like you were very successful with your own stuff!

You used Tetrachloroethene to submerge circuit boards? I hope you used a respirator, if not, that would explain a few things....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have used Denatured alcohol to replace water in electronics that have been submerged in water. If the electronic device was not powered on at the time, there is always a chance that it may be able to be recovered. The alcohol displaces the water and once removed, the alcohol will evaporate much faster than water hopefully reducing the chance for corrosion.

Of course, if the device was powered on at the time of exposure to water, it is likely that something was shorted and fried.

And then, sometimes you just get lucky. My 12 year old son left his iPod Shuffle in his shorts and my GF washed them and then ran them through the dryer. The iPod was unharmed <--- Weird.