Condition three carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Condition three carry

LittleLebowski
07-14-2011, 05:59
Mas, what are your thoughts on this?

Mas Ayoob
07-14-2011, 07:43
If the only gun you have to carry is one that is not "drop safe" -- i.e., it is capable of "inertia fire" if dropped or struck sharply front or back -- I'd recommend condition three carry (full magazine, empty chamber).

If one is simply uncomfortable with a round chambered in an auto, I'd be inclined to recommend going to a double action revolver. If the gun is needed, my feeling is that five or six rounds RIGHT NOW beats fifteen or so rounds a second or two from now.

Personally, I carry drop-safe autos with a round in the chamber. However, it's a contentious topic with credentialed voices on either side of the issue, as a search in the Concealed Carry section here at GT will support.

best,
Mas

LittleLebowski
07-14-2011, 08:53
So you feel that the time penalty could be potentially dangerous to the weapon carrier? Do you think one handed manipulations would suffer?

Mas Ayoob
07-14-2011, 14:19
One hand manipulations will definitely suffer. Speed of response even two-handed will suffer to some degree. However, speed of response has to be balanced against prevention of unintended discharge, and with some gun designs more than others, finding that balance creates reasonable grounds for debate.
best,
Mas