Does "printing" really matter, legally? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does "printing" really matter, legally?

debbert
07-14-2011, 20:30
Just curious. I am brand new to handgun ownership. I just purchased a Glock 26 for concealed purposes (as soon as I take the required course and get my permit).

I'm curious about "printing". While I am aware that being as stealth as possible is the goal. When it comes down to it on a legal standpoint, does "printing" matter? If the firearm is covered, it's concealed, right?

If someone thinks it might be a firearm, due to printing, it's still concealed if it's covered by a shirt or jacket or whatnot, right?

Those that are not "in-the-know" might think it's a cell phone, blackberry, iPod or some other device. Does it matter if our firearms "print" on occasion, as long as they are completely concealed?

Thoughts?

Angry Fist
07-14-2011, 20:32
Not in an open carry state, where legal. Where OC is illegal, there could be issues. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

SuperSleuth
07-14-2011, 20:40
It depends on how your state's concealed carry law is written. I'd suggest looking it up and reading it. This would also be an excellent question to ask your instructor when you take the course.

debbert
07-14-2011, 20:51
I will ask the instructor. For the record, I live in an open-carry state.

cowboy1964
07-14-2011, 22:01
I'm not sure I buy the OC argument here. We're talking specifically about printing, not accidental exposure. If it's totally concealed, even if printing, then OC does not come into play. Even if accidentally exposed I don't think OC makes much of a difference as the intent was clearly to conceal it. There is no way one can claim "OC" if the firearm is even partially concealed. Think about it this way: if a person doesn't have a carry permit, could they claim OC if it's concealed but printing? Of course not.

I think in most states if you have a valid permit you aren't breaking any law by accidental printing. Worse case is someone calls the cops and they check you out.

up1911fan
07-14-2011, 22:16
IMO concealed mean's concealed.

Folsom_Prison
07-14-2011, 23:17

I agree with this ^^^^. I do always keep mine concealed, IMO though I feel that general society doesn't know what printing is. I carry my G19 in a supertuck and conceal it well. I'm sure I print from time to time, I don't doubt that.

The other night I was in the grocery store, a lady bumped into my side amd hit my glock, she said she was sorry and asked if my phone was ok. Some people have no idea.

SuperSleuth
07-14-2011, 23:26
The other night I was in the grocery store, a lady bumped into my side amd hit my glock, she said she was sorry and asked if my phone was ok. Some people have no idea.

It's funny you mentioned that. I'm usually more concerned about someone accidentally bumping into my gun than printing.

Folsom_Prison
07-14-2011, 23:44
It's funny you mentioned that. I'm usually more concerned about someone accidentally bumping into my gun than printing.

Honestly I don't really about either in my neck of the woods.

jay-bird
07-14-2011, 23:53
Not in an open carry state, where legal. Where OC is illegal, there could be issues. Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

In my state. This is wrong.

I live in an Open Carry state, Kansas. Local municipalities have the choice to ban OC, but if you have a CCHL, it doesn't matter.... but that doesn't matter.

I have spoken to
Police officers - three - all with slightly varying opinions on the same fact - "Brandishing (if the person who sees your gun is threatened) is illegal."
One attorney - "Concealed means CONCEALED." He then put a Coke can under his shirt to illustrate the point... 'Yes, I see a can.'
Two CCW instructors - "It's either Open Carry or Concealed. NOT both."

Bill Lumberg
07-15-2011, 06:36
Printing always matters common-sense wise. Sloppy concealment is amateurish and avoidable. As for legality, the degree of "printing" varies state to state. Just curious. I am brand new to handgun ownership. I just purchased a Glock 26 for concealed purposes (as soon as I take the required course and get my permit).

I'm curious about "printing". While I am aware that being as stealth as possible is the goal. When it comes down to it on a legal standpoint, does "printing" matter? If the firearm is covered, it's concealed, right?

If someone thinks it might be a firearm, due to printing, it's still concealed if it's covered by a shirt or jacket or whatnot, right?

Those that are not "in-the-know" might think it's a cell phone, blackberry, iPod or some other device. Does it matter if our firearms "print" on occasion, as long as they are completely concealed?

Thoughts?

fuzzy03cls
07-15-2011, 08:28
From my readings there is no law in any legal CC state that says printing is illegal. Most state it as ordinary site of another person or similar wording. The law would have to state the terms "printing" or "outline" to have weight.

Donn57
07-15-2011, 10:00
I long ago quit worrying about printing. I do try to avoid printing, but sometimes it happens. No big deal. Having read the Florida firearms statutes many times, I am confident that printing does not violate those statutes.

glockbob
07-15-2011, 11:00
I agree with this ^^^^. I do always keep mine concealed, IMO though I feel that general society doesn't know what printing is. I carry my G19 in a supertuck and conceal it well. I'm sure I print from time to time, I don't doubt that.

My 8 year old nephew gave me a hug and his hand hit the top of my G27 in my IWB holster. First thing he asks, "Is that your gun". I told him the truth. Funny part is he had no idea that I carry.

Batesmotel
07-15-2011, 11:05
How do they know what it is?

Phone, gun, radio, tape measure, medical device.

hikerpaddler
07-15-2011, 11:52
No, it would define it as brandishing. Printing is slang, brandishing is what you want to concern yourself with-you need to know what level of definition of outline or exposure might qualify in your state. Conceal effectively and you don't have to worry about either From my readings there is no law in any legal CC state that says printing is illegal. Most state it as ordinary site of another person or similar wording. The law would have to state the terms "printing" or "outline" to have weight.

doubletap**
07-15-2011, 12:03
I can tell you from my own experience with a my ccw in Nevada that I was once with my family "wife and daughter" and while getting out of the cab of my truck my glock printed on the back of shirt and with in 5 minutes of getting out of my truck the police had been called to the gas station I was at and I had to show the officers my ccw all in all there was no trouble just about a 5 minute talk with them and keep in mind open carry is legal in Nevada

double.tap
07-15-2011, 12:20

pretty sure thats wrong.

open carry is usually defined and it varies from state to state (i cannot OC here, so its been a while since ive read OC laws so someone correct me if im wrong). some states define open carry as any portion of the gun or holster exposed and other states require a certain percentage of the gun/holster to be exposed (50% of the gun/holster in some states, 90% in others, 75% in others, etc).

concealed means concealed. here in texas our law reads something like: a well trained eye should never be able to tell you are carrying. that means at no point in time should your gun become visible, or should you print.

NONE of those covers a concealed pistol that prints through a shirt. you need to check the exact wording of your states concealed and open laws, because the definitions of both vary from state to state. and a printed pistol usually does not fall into either category.

that said, i dont even care if i print anymore. peopel are stupid or just dont care. there are plenty of things that could be on my belt that explain a small bulge, you would have to print so bad that the outline of a pistol was visible to get the cops called around here.

hockeyrcks9901
07-15-2011, 12:31
Here in Florida, printing is fine. There was a gray area in the law about accidental exposure. It was not defined to be legal or illegal, but that was recently cleared up and accidental exposure is okay. Brandishing is still clearly illegal.

That being said, I still try to avoid printing if only to avoid a MWAG call.

About a year ago while working at Wendy's, we saw a guy carrying a S&W M&P small of back. He was printing so badly that I could identify that. I was surprised that none of the employees freaked out...they were okay with it...

Hansom
07-15-2011, 12:34
"Does printing really matter legally?"
Bottom line,... no. Printing is not brandishing. To 'brandish' is to display in a threatening manner. Walking around in public with you firearm in your hand, and you are brandishiing. Almost any sidearm will print, at some point in time. Don't worry. Most people won't notice anyway.

David Armstrong
07-15-2011, 12:34
That is the key, IMO. These days with so many people carrying phones and such around on the waist that the odd bulge doesn't matter nearly as much as it might in years past. I regularly carry a 2" revolver around in fully exposed case without a second thought, most folks think it is a large PDA-type of holder. As long as it is not clearly identifiable as a gun I think you are OK most places.

Angry Fist
07-15-2011, 12:39

I live in an Open Carry state, Kansas. Local municipalities have the choice to ban OC, but if you have a CCHL, it doesn't matter.... but that doesn't matter.

I have spoken to
Police officers - three - all with slightly varying opinions on the same fact - "Brandishing (if the person who sees your gun is threatened) is illegal."
One attorney - "Concealed means CONCEALED." He then put a Coke can under his shirt to illustrate the point... 'Yes, I see a can.'
Two CCW instructors - "It's either Open Carry or Concealed. NOT both."
Same here. According to my instructor,( :upeyes: ) You're good to go either way, in Missouri. The consensus here is, as long as you're not threatening, they will let you walk, if they even check you out. They're not interested in busting the chops of a good guy. :cool: From the few LEO's Ive questioned, it holds up, at least around here. IDK about STL or KC, though.

poodleplumber
07-15-2011, 13:26
Here in Florida, printing is fine. There was a gray area in the law about accidental exposure. It was not defined to be legal or illegal, but that was recently cleared up and accidental exposure is okay.

A reference for that would be very helpful. Not doubting you, just want to be able to cite it when needed.

AZG26
07-15-2011, 13:26
You can't print or even have your gun exposed by accident in Texas.
http://opencarry.org/tx.html

Thank goodness I live in Arizona where it doesn't matter.

21Carrier
07-15-2011, 14:31

I had a similar thing happen to me at a gas station. There was an older gentleman behind me in line, and he was apparently lost or not a local. He moved up next to me, and with an open hand, placed his hand right on the small of my back, RIGHT on my G29. I mean, his hand didn't even touch me, it was all Glock. It startled me, as I've always thought about what I'd do if I felt someone going for my gun from behind.

I didn't spin around and hit him, but I definitely spun my head around quickly. The guy didn't even skip a beat. He promptly started asking me for directions and acted like he hadn't felt a thing. I don't think he realized what it was, but I don't know how. I was only wearing a t-shirt, so he had to feel it. Anyway, I was really surprised he didn't show any surprise over it. I guess he really didn't realize what it was. In this day and age, I doubt 1% of the population would automatically think "gun" when they see a bump. I'm sure he just thought "cell phone" or something, even though he basically grabbed it.

Lockback
07-15-2011, 14:37

In this day and age, a lot of people carry phones and even cameras tucked under their shirts.
Having said that, I really try hard not to print, because as has said above me, "concealed means concealed". It's not so much that I worry about legal issues, I just don't think it's cool to look like you're carrying a gun when you have a CCW.

Warp
07-15-2011, 15:17
Regardless of the law my opinion is that your carried handgun should either be open or unknown. Not in between. It is my opinion that if somebody is going to be worried, concerned or nervous about another person carrying a gun that concern will be far greater when they suspect a gun that you are attempting to conceal. Not only that but most holsters used for concealed purposes do not have any active retention devices, just simple friction. Gun grabs are very rare, but a gun others know about that can be lifted straight out of its holster simple as that does not seem like a very good idea.

Pick one and do it right.

hockeyrcks9901
07-15-2011, 15:31
A reference for that w20112ould be very helpful. Not doubting you, just want to be able to cite it when needed.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2011/234

SB-234.

Signed by Gov Scott on June 17, 2011; went into effect immediately.

RenegadeGlocker
07-15-2011, 17:41

Wrong.

Printing or accidental exposure is non-issue.

RCP
07-16-2011, 11:14

Thats not true

Shinesintx
07-16-2011, 11:50

Um....no. Wrong, stay in AZ.:supergrin:

itstime
07-16-2011, 12:01
I'm from your state. When I first started to carry it worried me also. Printing is not a problem in Ohio.
I've been carrying for years and have come to the conclusion nobody pays attention. People aren't going to stare at you and look for it.

I've readjusted getting out of my vehicle to where I know someone could see it and never had a problem.

debbert
07-16-2011, 16:53
Thanks for the info guys!

glockurai
07-16-2011, 17:21
A while back I asked an assistant state attorney about this. She stated that having it concealed does not mean "completely invisible". She then added that if the firearm prints to the point that an ordinary person will be able to tell right away that its a gun then it isn't really concealed.

Bogey
07-16-2011, 17:31
Accidental exposure of a concealed weapon is NOT brandishing!!!!!!!!!

NOR is OC!!!!!!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

1bran·dish

verb \ˈbran-dish\
transitive verb
: to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly

: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

KilgoreTrout
07-16-2011, 18:20

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun.the big, bold and red part is my own doing, since it was apparently overlooked.

i believe an accident would be the complete opposite of intentional, but I could very well be wrong. I was wrong once before in 1997.

John Galt
07-16-2011, 18:32
In Indiana it doesn't matter. I have a License to Carry a Handgun, open or concealed, my choice.

FireForged
07-17-2011, 09:08
I will ask the instructor. For the record, I live in an open-carry state.

Being certified to offer firearms instruction is one thing. Being able to accurately assess and explain statutory language is something much different.

Nothing wrong with asking but Im just say'n.

rohanreginald
07-17-2011, 10:14
Thats not true

And I have always been told that "brandishing" is an act of intimidation. You are not brandishing if you reach up for something and the bottom of your holster shows.

Darkangel1846
07-17-2011, 10:41
Just curious. I am brand new to handgun ownership. I just purchased a Glock 26 for concealed purposes (as soon as I take the required course and get my permit).

Thoughts?

No it doesn't matter legally as long as its concealed, because no one knows its really a gun. The problem you will run into is a soccer mom calling the police and telling them your in sight with a gun. It will just be a minor hassell to you.:wavey:

Misty02
07-17-2011, 12:38
It doesn’t matter in Florida, if I’m carrying in more traditional ways I’m sure the bulge created will be noticed by some (although that is not printing either).

Bodyarmorguy
07-17-2011, 13:08
From my readings there is no law in any legal CC state that says printing is illegal. Most state it as ordinary site of another person or similar wording. The law would have to state the terms "printing" or "outline" to have weight.

I long ago quit worrying about printing. I do try to avoid printing, but sometimes it happens. No big deal. Having read the Florida firearms statutes many times, I am confident that printing does not violate those statutes.

These 3 posters sum it up quite well. While I can only speak for FL for certain, there is no state that I know of that specifically addresses "printing."

Once upon a time, an Officer who worked for me, arrested a subject who was lawfully carrying concealed, but felt that the "print" was sufficient to charge him with violating the open carry part of the statute that was in place at the time. I queried the arrest, asking the officer...."Had he not possessed a concealed weapons permit, what would you charge him with?" His response "Carrying a CONCEALED firearm." My retort...."Kick him loose and apologize."

I am cautious to effectively conceal my pistol when off duty. At 5'10/185-190, I feel I do a good job of concealing a Gov't Model, full size of compact Glock in an IWB holster under a polo at the 3:330 position. If I do "print" just a little, I don't sweat because most folks cannot denote a firearm from my iPhone, leatherman tool, etc.

iluv2viddyfilms
07-17-2011, 14:26

These are the idiots responsible for our huge prison surge issue. Lawyers, may as well be called cannibals. To me printing IS concealed. Unless it is brutally obvious that the person had no intention of concealing, I think a bit of common sense has to come into play. Was it printing when the person bent over but not standing upright. Again context and common sense is what we need more of in this country.

And I live in an open carry state so I don't worry about it, but I usually don't print.

iluv2viddyfilms
07-17-2011, 14:28
Accidental exposure of a concealed weapon is NOT brandishing!!!!!!!!!

NOR is OC!!!!!!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

1bran·dish

verb \ˈbran-dish\
transitive verb
: to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly

: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Thank you and I pray any court would agree with the definition that there had to be a threat or will to intimidate involved. Reaching for the top shelf and printing, that automatically scares some dumb bimbo is not a threat.

David Armstrong
07-17-2011, 15:10
FYI, for all you good folks badmouthing lawyers, you might want to see who it is that defends gun owners in court and who has been responsible for arguing all those pro-2nd cases in front of various courts, including the Heller and McDonald cases. There are lawyers who are anti-gun and there are lawyers who are pro-gun, no different than any other profession in the U.S.

bag12day
07-17-2011, 21:52
FYI, for all you good folks badmouthing lawyers, you might want to see who it is that defends gun owners in court and who has been responsible for arguing all those pro-2nd cases in front of various courts, including the Heller and McDonald cases. There are lawyers who are anti-gun and there are lawyers who are pro-gun, no different than any other profession in the U.S.
I have often said the same thing and a good friend of mine at my gun club is an Attorney but I have rationalized it this way...
Lawyers are like proctology exams, They serve a good purpose and may save your life but you don't have to appreciate or look forward to dealing with one.

AZson
07-17-2011, 21:56
I could careless if I print, they have to be looking to spot it. Most people don't even look.

covan
07-17-2011, 22:15
Getting back to the OP, printing in the state of Ohio can get you into trouble. It is a matter of intimidation, which, as always, is in the eyes of the beholder.
Best answer is to ask the attorney when you go through the class.
Best wishes.

OldCurlyWolf
07-17-2011, 22:27

Thoughts?

There are at least 2 states where it can cost you a misdemeanor conviction and loss of CHL for 5 years and at least one state where It would result in a felony conviction and the loss of many rights for life. So Yes, it can be very important.

Reb 56
07-17-2011, 22:48
I CCW a G26 most of the time and it is impossible for me to never print even carrying IWB. In cool weather no problem, but in the summer wearing shorts and a T shirt I know that from certain angles part of the grip pokes out a bit. Nobody ever seems to notice though.

POC
07-18-2011, 01:08

THANKFULLY Indiana made this illegal beginning July 1, 2011.
If you have your LTCH in Indiana, a Town or City can't say that you can't carry there.
(This has come into play in Indianapolis, along part of the Monon Line that is now walking/biking paths people have been getting mugged, it was illegal to carry there, but since July 1, it is legal now.

In Indiana it doesn't matter. I have a License to Carry a Handgun, open or concealed, my choice.
Amen Brother!

TangoFoxtrot
07-18-2011, 03:12

Absolutrly correct!

BamaTrooper
07-18-2011, 03:58

Because it "looks" like a gun?

I was pumping gas last Saturday and I saw a guy leaving the store and his tshirt, while the correct size for him, was not the correct size to fulfill the role of cover garment. He was wearing at 3:00 and the bottom of his pancake style leather holster was sticking out. I could see the grip and the finger extension of his gun. It looked like a Bersa grip, but turned out to be a P239.
I happened to be on my way to a GSSF shoot and was wearing my team shirt, so I turned around and told him he should check out the sponsor if he wanted a conealment holster that worked.

BamaTrooper
07-18-2011, 04:00
the big, bold and red part is my own doing, since it was apparently overlooked.

i believe an accident would be the complete opposite of intentional, but I could very well be wrong. I was wrong once before in 1997.

So if his poorly done "Conceal" job is pointed out and he continues to carry it that way, is it intentional?

D-Ric902
07-18-2011, 05:23
"It's an insulin pump, thank you for minding your own business"

At least 99.6 percent of people are clueless

Angry Fist
07-18-2011, 19:01
"It's an insulin pump, thank you for minding your own business"

At least 99.6 percent of people are clueless
Or a colostomy bag... wanna see? :supergrin:

sciolist
07-18-2011, 21:20
The gun needs to be effectively concealed. This isn't IDPA, this is public. Horse does not get to re-enter barn.

dregotglock
07-19-2011, 09:10

The language may not say printing but in Texas you are in violation of the law if you are not concealing your firearm.

GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which
is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

If the ordinary person can tell that you are concealing a firearm then that is a violation. This does not include LEO, Judges, or other CHL holders - ORDINARY OBSERVATION applies only. That does not mean that a bulge is a gun - could be a tablet, colostomy bag, back brace - but if you are carrying and someone can tell what you are carrying you are wrong.

This is in Texas only - not sure about ohio laws.

For safety/security reasons alone I would conceal properly

AGAF
07-19-2011, 12:03
The language may not say printing but in Texas you are in violation of the law if you are not concealing your firearm.

GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which
is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

If the ordinary person can tell that you are concealing a firearm then that is a violation. This does not include LEO, Judges, or other CHL holders - ORDINARY OBSERVATION applies only. That does not mean that a bulge is a gun - could be a tablet, colostomy bag, back brace - but if you are carrying and someone can tell what you are carrying you are wrong.

This is in Texas only - not sure about ohio laws.

For safety/security reasons alone I would conceal properly

Pretty much sums it up for Texas. And I would add as others already have that printing per se, is not something to be obsessed about. That slight bulge that you can see on your hip when looking in the mirror could be anything to the ordinary person. It is a mental hurdle that we have to overcome. We know we are carrying and what that slight bulge is, but 99.5% of the general public has no clue.

If on the other had, you are wearing clothing that is too tight, and the ordinary person can easily discern an outline of a gun on your hip, then you may want to rethink your concealment stategy or get ready to face some uncomfortable questioning.....

debbert
07-19-2011, 13:46
I CCW a G26 most of the time and it is impossible for me to never print even carrying IWB. In cool weather no problem, but in the summer wearing shorts and a T shirt I know that from certain angles part of the grip pokes out a bit. Nobody ever seems to notice though.

This is exactly the reason I asked the question in the first place. I know that concealment is the ideal thing but if I move a certain way, bend a certain way, or the wind blows a certain way, I want to know that I am not going to get in major trouble if there is an outline of a grip or some such thing.

AZson
07-19-2011, 16:29
AZ it is okay to print,but if your in TXs, you would get arrested.

Warp
07-19-2011, 16:46

How many people in TX have been arrested for printing?

AGAF
07-19-2011, 16:48

Was this meant to be a joke?:dunno:

joseywhales
07-19-2011, 18:43
How many people in TX have been arrested for printing?

Not me! Wife says i just look strangely wide (fat)!

bmwguy11
07-19-2011, 20:59
Here in wisconsin, it doesn't seem to matter according to the new bill passed for CCW. We actually got a pretty good bill passed here. It makes no issue about printing or accidental showing of a concealed weapon, and since you can also open carry where you can concealed carry, I'd imagine you could do one or the other as you so desired? (may not be the smartest thing to do though, switch from concealed to open while you're standing in line at walmart or something lol)

AZson
07-20-2011, 09:16
Was this meant to be a joke?:dunno:

Nope, TX is no longer a open carry state, if you print some LEO's will arrest you
even though the law does say only if you "Intentionally fail to conceal".
That is why mine goes into a fanny pack.

Warp
07-20-2011, 11:14
Nope, TX is no longer a open carry state, if you print some LEO's will arrest you
even though the law does say only if you "Intentionally fail to conceal".
That is why mine goes into a fanny pack.

How many people have been arrested for printing in TX?

AGAF
07-20-2011, 11:31
How many people have been arrested for printing in TX?

x2

Never, ever, ever, ever heard of ANYONE being arrested in TX for "printing". Questioned, LEO educating, citation maybe, but arrested? I'd sure like to get someone's first hand account who has been arrested for "printing" in TX while attemting to conceal a handgun while legally possessing a CHL issued by the State of Texas........

I'm not saying that it has NEVER happened, I've just never heard of it and know that it is not a common practice (If ever happening for that matter)

Warp
07-20-2011, 11:33
x2

Never, ever, ever, ever heard of ANYONE being arrested in TX for "printing". Questioned, LEO educating, citation maybe, but arrested? I'd sure like to get someone's first hand account who has been arrested for "printing" in TX while attemting to conceal a handgun while legally possessing a CHL issued by the State of Texas........

I'm not saying that it has NEVER happened, I've just never heard of it and know that it is not a common practice (If ever happening for that matter)

I have never heard/read of it either.

FlyboyLDB
07-20-2011, 11:56
It is up to the officer what you take a ride for. A DA is another story - they have to figure out if you can indeed be charged with what you were arrested for - or for other items of interest.

Printing is not brandishing.

You would still be charged and prosecuted with carrying concealed if you were not legal to do so - even if you were printing. So OCing is simply not carrying concealed AND printing.

I travel to FL often - and I print often there and do not give it any concern.

A LEO can arrest you for laws they do not understand - what you get charged with is another thing. I am not aware of any states that have laws against printing. But there are a couple I have not been to in sometime. For the most part, if OCing is illegal in the state, covering up is adequate. With anything other than mouse type guns, one is almost assured to print at some point.