What make PA better than the airsoft stuff [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What make PA better than the airsoft stuff

Wash-ar15
07-14-2011, 21:54
The optics that Prime Arms is selling looks just like airsoft stuff. In fact,IMHO, they are are the same thing. Folks rave about them on other boards.

So what makes them better than airsoft stuff? Better marketing?

Max1775
07-17-2011, 19:16
Never owned any, so I can't say. However, there are plenty of good sights out there that I have used and will vouch for that don't cost much more. I prefer to stay with what is tried and true...

locosteelersfan
07-19-2011, 18:49
I run an eotech but have used alot of PA stuff. I would recommend there units if you just can't spend out on a Eo or Aimpoint, or if its a plinker. I currently have their quad rails and green laser on my MP15.

What makes them different is that 110% stand by there stuff with service unmatched anywhere. If you have an issue with anything they will make it right. I like to buy other AR stuff from them cause they ship fast, have good prices, and are quick to answer questions.

Wash-ar15
07-19-2011, 19:02
I run an eotech but have used alot of PA stuff. I would recommend there unit is you just can't spend out on a Eo or Aimpoint, or if its a plinker. I currently have their quad rails and green laser on my MP15.

What makes them different is that 110% stand by there stuff with service unmatched anywhere. If you have an issue with anything they will make it right. I like to buy other AR stuff from them cause they ship fast, have good prices, and are quick to answer questions.

If I understand what you are saying, they are selling the same airsoft products.

LSUAdman
07-19-2011, 19:19
If I understand what you are saying, they are selling the same airsoft products.

Wash, you come off wanting to not like them, and that's fine - but they are not airsoft quality. I have done a good amount of business with them, and their items are good quality.

But ask them yourself - they will tell you that these are not made for war fighting, but range use. They stand behind their products, and they work well. I have one of their micros on my Draco pistol, and it works great. I also have their 3x magnifier behind my eotech and it''s been a great purchase.

They have some decent sales, and they will make take care of you if you have any problems. What is great for me is I can just go pick it up without the extra shipping.

Jerry Smith
07-19-2011, 19:24
The optics that Prime Arms is selling looks just like airsoft stuff. In fact,IMHO, they are are the same thing. Folks rave about them on other boards.

So what makes them better than airsoft stuff? Better marketing?

-no disrespect meant with this reply to your OP but......
I disagree.
First, define "airsoft stuff". Lots of products function universally.... lots of folks here use "under the gun" brand stuff on their AR's without any problems. Or howabout the MAGPUL PTS products.........they are for "training" (ie airsoft) yet they're pretty dang good for most folks' uses.

Second, what PA product(s) have you personally tried? You voiced your opinion, but didnt back it with any hard evidence of actual USE of the product....you said it "looks like" airsoft stuff. Have you done anything more than peruse the website?

I have personally tried a couple of the PA red dots, and while i agree they obviously arent on par with eotech/aimpoint/trijicon/etc, they are indeed GREAT for the price you pay. I have probably 2000 rounds 556 downrange through either optic, and its held up fine.

-Would i 100% trust my life to a PA product ? = no
-Would i wager money that it will function properly for 99% of the normal consumers on this forum ? = yes
-Would anyone want to wager my gun wont be sighted in properly when aiming my m4 + PA red dot at their face? = Hell no.

What makes them better than airsoft is the warranty, and customer service. Try getting customer service from a budget china-red-dot company you found on ebay.......

locosteelersfan
07-19-2011, 19:42

Well sorry I never reverse engineered them vs airsoft. I'd found it easier to buck up on the name brand. You go about it whichever way you find easier.

Wash-ar15
07-19-2011, 19:51
Wash, you come off wanting to not like them, and that's fine - but they are not airsoft quality. I have done a good amount of business with them, and their items are good quality.

But ask them yourself - they will tell you that these are not made for war fighting, but range use. They stand behind their products, and they work well. I have one of their micros on my Draco pistol, and it works great. I also have their 3x magnifier behind my eotech and it''s been a great purchase.

They have some decent sales, and they will make take care of you if you have any problems. What is great for me is I can just go pick it up without the extra shipping.

I, in fact do have one of the m4 models. it works fine.

LSUAdman
07-19-2011, 19:56
I, in fact do have one of the m4 models. it works fine.

I havent tried one yet, but they look pretty nice. What do you have it mounted to? How is the battery life?

I'm confused though, are you lumping anything under $500 into the airsoft catagory or is there something wrong with the optic?

Wash-ar15
07-19-2011, 19:57
-no disrespect meant with this reply to your OP but......
I disagree.
First, define "airsoft stuff". Lots of products function universally.... lots of folks here use "under the gun" brand stuff on their AR's without any problems. Or howabout the MAGPUL PTS products.........they are for "training" (ie airsoft) yet they're pretty dang good for most folks' uses.

Second, what PA product(s) have you personally tried? You voiced your opinion, but didnt back it with any hard evidence of actual USE of the product....you said it "looks like" airsoft stuff. Have you done anything more than peruse the website?

I have personally tried a couple of the PA red dots, and while i agree they obviously arent on par with eotech/aimpoint/trijicon/etc, they are indeed GREAT for the price you pay. I have probably 2000 rounds 556 downrange through either optic, and its held up fine.

-Would i 100% trust my life to a PA product ? = no
-Would i wager money that it will function properly for 99% of the normal consumers on this forum ? = yes
-Would anyone want to wager my gun wont be sighted in properly when aiming my m4 + PA red dot at their face? = Hell no.

What makes them better than airsoft is the warranty, and customer service. Try getting customer service from a budget china-red-dot company you found on ebay.......

I have nothing personal against them.

My question was simple, is what they sell the same stuff that is used in Air Soft and sold on ebay as such?

Wash-ar15
07-19-2011, 20:01
I havent tried one yet, but they look pretty nice. What do you have it mounted to? How is the battery life?

I'm confused though, are you lumping anything under $500 into the airsoft catagory or is there something wrong with the optic?

Its ok. I have it mounted on a M4 style AR. I'm not a gear snob. I just see what seems to be the same product sold elsewhere.

The answer seems to be they are, but PA is willing to provide CS and warranty.

LSUAdman
07-19-2011, 20:06
Its ok. I have it mounted on a M4 style AR. I'm not a gear snob. I just see what seems to be the same product sold elsewhere.

The answer seems to be they are, but PA is willing to provide CS and warranty.

I think they are a step above. I dont air soft, nor do I own anything air soft, but the complaint I see time and again with EOtech and Aimpoint clones is that they lose zero after a few shots, the glass is hazy, etc.

Like I said, I like my PA stuff. It isnt air soft, but it isnt mil spec either. Something in between.

robbynola
07-19-2011, 20:10
I have nothing personal against them.

My question was simple, is what they sell the same stuff that is used in Air Soft and sold on ebay as such?

From what I've gathered, it's a notch above airsoft stuff, but still not as high quality as the real deal. From reports I've read, they stand up to a lot more rounds than you standard NCstart junk, but probably aren't going to take te kind of deliberate abuse you could put an aimpont through (if you were Larry Vickers :whistling:)

I'd have no problem putting them on a range toy, but wouldn't put them on a gun for competition or one that would be grabbed for social purposes.

If I were too strapped for cash to get a name brand, but still felt the need to throw a red dot on something, I'd go with Vortex. It seems that even though they're inexpensive and made in China, they can hold up to some real use and abuse.

ETA:

Most likely the reason PA's products get better reviews than NCstar, etc, is that the Chinese actually are capable of producing some quality stuff. You can get a good product out of those guys so long as you stay on top of quality control, hire the right firm, and pay the right price. If you look for a manufacturer in China and your only strategy is getting the most units per dollar, you're definitely going to get what you pay for. But if you're willing to spend a few extra bucks, you can keep them from cutting too many corners. Of course, you still have to constantly QA check the product to make sure they don't try to slip some cut corners past you to raise their bottom line.