when is a gun considered reliable [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : when is a gun considered reliable

GlockBeni
07-15-2011, 00:03
I've read a couple articles stating you shouldn't carry unless you've fired several hundred rounds through your gun before putting your life on it. I've seen on youtube videos of guns that carry saying 50 rounds is more than enough to base your life on. Is there really a set amount?

I've just always shot the gun with the mag i would be carrying if everything feeds well with no problems shes good to go in my book.:dunno:

aeroengr
07-15-2011, 02:40
I think you realize if a gun is "reliable" or not way before you become proficient with shooting it, so to me reliability is never an issue before I carry a particular gun. When I'm carrying, I want to know that I can accurately place shots with that gun, otherwise I might as well be carrying a brick. To me, this will come after several hundred rounds, and by then if I'm still concerned with reliability, I'm looking to get rid of the gun.

YMMV.

Chaos88
07-15-2011, 02:51
That's I question only you can answer its your life. For me I run a few hundred "break in" rounds, then a box of carry ammo to ensure it feeds well for a few mags and call it a day.

jarubla
07-15-2011, 03:07
I like to run it for a while before considering it for S.D.--within the first 500 rounds you will quickly learn if there are extraction issues, firing pin issues, etc. I have broken buffer springs, and chipped extractors without trying real hard in some guns during the early phases of ownership. On occasion, even a well respected gun maker can have small issues (I have a Ruger model which has been made for 55 years which had issues straight out of the box--they made it right).

The other benefit of shooting 500 rounds in your gun is you'll learn which ammo works. I am not talking chrony stats, just practical application. I have a few pistols that *gasp* like the cheap polymer coated steel stuff (which is none too hard to clean up after, either). I heard that stuff was garbage, but thus far no issues for lil ol me.

Another point; other than getting it broken in, it is a nice way to get real familiar with the way your firearm operates (heft, sight picture, recoil). Yes, I know dry-firing is also good for that. If you are comfortable with it, dry fire it.

As a side note, I am familiar enough with my guns to know which brass came from which gun based on marks on the cases. Pick em up and look at em. :)

-Jay

collim1
07-15-2011, 06:21
Before I buy a new gun I always start picking up ammo for it a few weeks in advance. I try to buy a box every different FMJ ammo that I can.

I then run everything through the new gun I can. If It goes 250-500rds without any problems then I consider it reliable.

I then like to run 2-3 magazines worth of my SD ammo through it just to make sure. After that I clean and lube and consider it g2g.

dreis454
07-15-2011, 06:38
Before I buy a new gun I always start picking up ammo for it a few weeks in advance. I try to buy a box every different FMJ ammo that I can.

I then run everything through the new gun I can. If It goes 250-500rds without any problems then I consider it reliable.

I then like to run 2-3 magazines worth of my SD ammo through it just to make sure. After that I clean and lube and consider it g2g.

I do this but only see the need for about 200 'break in' FML rounds & box of my SD ammo that I will be carrying....So far Gold Dots & Lawman have served me well.

HerrGlock
07-15-2011, 06:41
Couple hundred of my reloads and then a box or three of whatever I'm going to carry in it.

GlockinNJ
07-15-2011, 06:46
I've just always shot the gun with the mag i would be carrying if everything feeds well with no problems shes good to go in my book.:dunno:

I think you've answered your own question.

GlockBeni
07-15-2011, 07:15
I think you've answered your own question.

Thats my personal theory. The question was its there really a set amount......

Steve50
07-15-2011, 08:25
346 rounds

Steel Head
07-15-2011, 08:48
Thats my personal theory. The question was its there really a set amount......

I like 250 with at least 50 of what you plan on carrying.

GLOCK22PACKER
07-15-2011, 19:07
1000 rounds with only 1 failure. If I have more failures than that I will not use that weapon. I also run approx. 500 rounds of my carry ammo. This is pricey, but I think my life is worth it.(that's why I use glocks.)

Warp
07-15-2011, 19:55
For a semi auto at least a few hundred rounds, with 100 or more of those being the specific round to be carried, with no malfunctions.