XS Big Dot Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XS Big Dot Sights

Brad737
07-15-2011, 12:07
Hi guys,
I just bought a SIG P226 with the XS Big Dots installed and wanted to give my impressions. First off, I think they're good quality sights. The tritium inserts are bright and easy to see. But personally, they're not for me. That big front sight is very easy to see, and does allow for a very quick acquisition of the front sight. However for me, the front sight is actually a little too big for precise shots. If someone was charging you, and you only had a split second to draw a bead, they'd be fine. But that V rear sight doesn't allow for my eyes to make a precise lateral alignment. For gross aiming, they'll do. While I'm not a great shot yet, I'm "pretty good". I'm sure I could get body hits, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying a head shot at more than 10 yards or so. If you're considering these, I'd definitely recommend trying some before you buy. As always, your mileage may very. I just wanted to pass along my experience with them.
Hope this helps,
Brad

fortney
07-15-2011, 20:27
It might be a good idea to stay with the sights for a while and see if your opinion remains the same. They are express sights like on African hunting rifles for dangerous game. There is a youtube of James Yeager repeatedly hitting a metal target at 200 yards using a 9 mm Glock and XS sights.

I don't think they are intended for Bullseye, etc. shooting though.

F

MrMurphy
07-16-2011, 00:52
I've used them on my carry gun for a decade.

Shoot more. If after a few thousand rounds over multiple sessions of draw-and-fire drills, shooting from cover and on the move you choose otherwise, you've given them a fair try.

They are not made for standing at the pistol range 15 yard line slow firing.

RMD
07-16-2011, 07:24
...If someone was charging you, and you only had a split second to draw a bead, they'd be fine...

This is exactly what they're made for - quick acquisition at close distances.

The Machinist
07-16-2011, 07:35
That big front sight is very easy to see, and does allow for a very quick acquisition of the front sight.
That's the whole point! :supergrin: Should the day come you have to shoot someone, chances are, you won't even use the sights. You certainly won't be aligning your blade sights for that perfect "pumpkin on a post" shot. Like others have said, with practice, you'll fire just as accurately with them as anything else. Check out Youtube, and you'll see people hitting targets at greater than 50 yards with XS sights.

I installed them on my G30 a week after buying the pistol, and have no regrets. :supergrin:

Brad737
07-16-2011, 08:10
Ok you guys are right. I was wrong. Big Dots are the greatest thing ever. That's why the Secret Service. Federal Air Marshals, and the SEAL who shot Bin Laden use them. :upeyes:

NMG26
07-16-2011, 15:34
I like them because I can not see great.

I often don't wear my glasses when bike riding or getting up in the middle of the night. I find the XS to work great for my vision specifics.

I have just the front sight on a SW 638 and a Ruger LCR.

up1911fan
07-16-2011, 18:58
I like them on a smaller gun, they're fast.

scorpio2011
07-16-2011, 22:31
so you all are saying the big dot is worth a try?
they were recommened to me by a sd instructor

scattershot
07-16-2011, 22:35
I had them one time, and didn't care for the big dot. I'm thinking now that they have the standard dot I may try them again.

hwill
07-17-2011, 02:53
I have them on a Gen4 G26 and they are ok. Had them on my Gen4 G23 and took them off and replaced with Trijicon HD's.
Will give them some more range time on the G26, but prefer the Trijicon HD's.

d90king
07-17-2011, 05:30
There is a youtube of James Yeager repeatedly hitting a metal target at 200 yards using a 9 mm Glock and XS sights.
F

There is also a video of Yeager hiding in a ditch while his teammates die in an ambush. What's your point?

There is also a link floating around from one of his students that launched a 7.62 round through his foot at his last class during transitions with a HOT weapon.

Bogey
07-17-2011, 05:46
XS sights suck.

At the distances y'all are talking about them working great, your training should have you instinctively point shooting.

Don't waste your money.

scorpio2011
07-17-2011, 08:42
practice is worth more than anything
at 21'-25' i dont use my sights.i rely on instinctive center mass shots

RMD
07-17-2011, 20:42
so you all are saying the big dot is worth a try?
they were recommened to me by a sd instructor

For a carry/SD gun, I think they're great.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-21-2011, 15:11
There is also a video of Yeager hiding in a ditch while his teammates die in an ambush. What's your point?

There is also a link floating around from one of his students that launched a 7.62 round through his foot at his last class during transitions with a HOT weapon.

I think his point was that big dots could be used at long distances after practicing with them.

Your hatred of James Yeager duly noted.

JimD303
07-24-2011, 22:43
Total gimmick.

Used them a few years back while I was still learning a lot, thought they were great then.

Put them on a timer, found out how much they suck.

Any sight that gives you less visual feedback can not help you "sight" the gun any better. They SUCK at distance and are slower than point shooting. BTW, I've hit small targets at distance with them...they still suck.

Interesting that their spokesman (Yeager) is known for having about ZERO accuracy standard in his classes. As for his opinion of "gunfighting equipment", he's not qualified to offer advice on that subject.