Disturbing new trend at the movies: Wanding. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing new trend at the movies: Wanding.

REA9mm
07-15-2011, 13:27
From time to time, my wife will get special free movie screening tickets from a friend of hers. This allows us to go see new releases a few days before they come out. The first one of these I went to was 'Brides Maids' (which is hilarious btw, even for men) and everything was a very normal movie experience, except for having to wait in line a long time to make sure we got a seat.

Well, I guess the company that does the screenings had some issues with piracy since then. The next movie we went to was 'Bad Teacher'. At this screening, we were asked to turn off our phones and display that the phones were off prior to entering. They also had a lady using one of those hand held metal detectors and wanding ppl as they entered, but she was only doing ppl who didnt display an off phone or had a bag, so I passed by w/o incident. I was carrying my Ruger SP101 IWB at 3 o'clock.

Last night, we went to the screening of 'Friends with Benefits' (not good) and it looked like they had the same setup as last time, but this time there were 2 ladies wanding. When we got to the front of the line this time, they informed us that they were now asking ppl to surrender their phones, or place them in their vehicle. I decided to let my wife go ahead into the theater and I took our phones back out to the car. On my way to the car, I debated placing my CCW (Ruger LCP IWB 3 o'clock, b/c it was about 100 degrees outside) in the car along with the phones. But, I ultimately decided that I still maintain the right to defend myself, despite their policies. Upon my entry to the theatre, I was wanded. I had placed my keys in my right pocket, so they would trigger the wand, and I could just pull them out and indicate them as the culprit for the detection. This sort of worked, but the she rewanded my right side again, but it did not go off, so I was awarded entry.

Ultimately, I understand that it's the screening companies right to do this to help prevent piracy. Of coarse, if they asked me to expose what was causing the wand to go off, I would politely decline and therefore would have had to place my CCW in the car. But, if possible, I much prefer to retain my weapon.

double.tap
07-15-2011, 13:48
im not going to voluntarily surrender my rights to go to a movie theater. if anything, personally i would call, talk to the manager, and explain the situation (without giving my real name up). if hes willing to wave me through, cool. if he says my business isnt welcome because i value my rights, ill give another movie theater my business instead.

FYI,
i do know alot of theaters around here have "no gun" signs but that doesnt legally stop me from carrying. now most of those dumb signs have been replaced by more appropriate signs that say "the UNLICENSED posession of a handgun on these premesis is punishable blah blah".

if it was their policy not to have guns, they would have the appropriate 30.06 signs posted that prevent license holders from lawfully carrying. so they may infact be gun friendly. i dont know how your states "gun signs" work though, this is for texas.

Billy10mm
07-15-2011, 14:06
Everyone always thinks the policy is made up by some anti-gun liberal who works at the corporate office. They're not, they're made up by corporate lawyers who know what a lawsuit is.

Talking to the manager will usually get you nowhere, these policies are in place for insurance liability purposes. If you should end up in a shootout at the movies and an innocent person is hurt and that business ALLOWED you to be on their property with that gun you can REST ASSURED that the person who got shot is going to file a very very large lawsuit against that movie theater for endangering their lives.

Asking someone is worse than just sneaking it in. If you "sneak" it they can claim they were unaware and and did not allow it as per their policies. You're still personally okay since you were still abiding by all local laws. But if you ask, and a manager or employee says, "Sure, not a problem." ... they just endorsed the carrying of a loaded assault weapon by an unknown man, possibly a lunatic, whose proficiency with said Glock 40 porcelain assault-weapon-of-destruction is something that they are not even aware of.

I guarantee that their lawyer will word it more like that ridiculous last sentence than a simple, "Man legally carrying a loaded firearm for personal protection.".

AA#5
07-15-2011, 14:17
If I were CCW'ing legally & I was going to get wanded, I'd have my CCW permit ready to show them.

HotRoderX
07-15-2011, 14:23
im not going to voluntarily surrender my rights to go to a movie theater. if anything, personally i would call, talk to the manager, and explain the situation (without giving my real name up). if hes willing to wave me through, cool. if he says my business isnt welcome because i value my rights, ill give another movie theater my business instead.

I would take my business else where either way I understand the need for piracy protection but not at the cost of my rights. Wanding me so I can enter a movie theater is BS so is asking me to surrender or put my phone in the car. So I take my business else where you already pay such a huge premium to even go see the movie if anything they should treat you like King/Queen.

Around here movie tickets go from 12-25+ dollars a pop depending on theater. Locally your looking at 12 at some of the nicer IMax theaters it can be 25+.

eracer
07-15-2011, 14:24
Ankle holster.

samurairabbi
07-15-2011, 14:42
There is a comparable situation in some cities: Businesses prohibiting wearing jackets in certain colors inside their premises.

A business owner CAN prohibit firearms, cell phones, flashlights ... anything that cannot be specifically linked to discrimination that is precluded by law. So can the owner/renter of a residential dwelling. Taking your business elsewhere is your answer; arguing about what "right" supercedes what other "right" is one for the legal arena, not the premises of the business.

Or ... beat the wands by springing big bucks for a Glock 7. Those wands will miss porcelain.

double.tap
07-15-2011, 14:57
Everyone always thinks the policy is made up by some anti-gun liberal who works at the corporate office. They're not, they're made up by corporate lawyers who know what a lawsuit is.

Talking to the manager will usually get you nowhere, these policies are in place for insurance liability purposes. If you should end up in a shootout at the movies and an innocent person is hurt and that business ALLOWED you to be on their property with that gun you can REST ASSURED that the person who got shot is going to file a very very large lawsuit against that movie theater for endangering their lives.

Asking someone is worse than just sneaking it in. If you "sneak" it they can claim they were unaware and and did not allow it as per their policies. You're still personally okay since you were still abiding by all local laws. But if you ask, and a manager or employee says, "Sure, not a problem." ... they just endorsed the carrying of a loaded assault weapon by an unknown man, possibly a lunatic, whose proficiency with said Glock 40 porcelain assault-weapon-of-destruction is something that they are not even aware of.

I guarantee that their lawyer will word it more like that ridiculous last sentence than a simple, "Man legally carrying a loaded firearm for personal protection.".

i never said it would get me anywhere. if they chose to be little b****es about it, i would give my business elsewhere, very simple and it wouldnt cause a scene. i do not give my business to places that have 30.06 signs posted because im not going to disarm to go watch a movie or buy a soda. i would rather not have to try to sneak around like some felon and pretend it was my car keys that set off their walmart purchased metal detectors. and i would never flash my CHL card to some old hag working infront of a movie theater waving a wand over people for 6 dollars an hour. guarantee the first words out of her mouth are going to be "GUN" and "HELP".

the movie theater cannot be sued for you legally carrying a weapon that you are licensed by the state to carry. you, and ONLY you, are responsible for the accidental deaths/injuries caused by your firearm. will a movie theater manager know that off hand? maybe...maybe not. maybe hes got a CHL in his pocket. i wouldnt try to educate him, and i never said i would. i said id call, tell him i am a texas CHL holder, i want to attend the movie but i dont want to cause a scene with the metal detectors in front. if he could wave me i would appreciate it. if he says no you cant bring a gun in here, ill say thanks for your time and youve lost all my future business and ill go do something else instead. its not a big deal.

i dont try to change businesses minds. my gun goes with me everywhere except when im out drinking. if my gun cant go in, i dont go in. if i dont go in, my money doesnt go in either. simple enough. i dont write them letters, i dont email them, i dont stand outfront telling them they are wrong. if you want to deny me my rights, i deny you my business.

Cruiser1
07-15-2011, 15:03
I leave a copy of this at any business that post no firearms signs:

I noticed your "No Guns Allowed" sign and will respect your wishes by shopping elsewhere.
Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As a Concealed Handgun License Holder
I have never been convicted of a felony.
I have never been convicted of a crime of violence.
I have never been convicted of domestic violence.
I am not addicted to nor do I use illegal drugs.
I am not under any indictment or a fugitive from justice.
I have passed both state and federal background checks.
WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR OTHER CUSTOMERS

I do like the idea of no cell phones being allowed in movie theaters.

Warp
07-15-2011, 15:07
From time to time, my wife will get special free movie screening tickets from a friend of hers. This allows us to go see new releases a few days before they come out. The first one of these I went to was 'Brides Maids' (which is hilarious btw, even for men) and everything was a very normal movie experience, except for having to wait in line a long time to make sure we got a seat.

Well, I guess the company that does the screenings had some issues with piracy since then. The next movie we went to was 'Bad Teacher'. At this screening, we were asked to turn off our phones and display that the phones were off prior to entering. They also had a lady using one of those hand held metal detectors and wanding ppl as they entered, but she was only doing ppl who didnt display an off phone or had a bag, so I passed by w/o incident. I was carrying my Ruger SP101 IWB at 3 o'clock.

Last night, we went to the screening of 'Friends with Benefits' (not good) and it looked like they had the same setup as last time, but this time there were 2 ladies wanding. When we got to the front of the line this time, they informed us that they were now asking ppl to surrender their phones, or place them in their vehicle. I decided to let my wife go ahead into the theater and I took our phones back out to the car. On my way to the car, I debated placing my CCW (Ruger LCP IWB 3 o'clock, b/c it was about 100 degrees outside) in the car along with the phones. But, I ultimately decided that I still maintain the right to defend myself, despite their policies. Upon my entry to the theatre, I was wanded. I had placed my keys in my right pocket, so they would trigger the wand, and I could just pull them out and indicate them as the culprit for the detection. This sort of worked, but the she rewanded my right side again, but it did not go off, so I was awarded entry.

Ultimately, I understand that it's the screening companies right to do this to help prevent piracy. Of coarse, if they asked me to expose what was causing the wand to go off, I would politely decline and therefore would have had to place my CCW in the car. But, if possible, I much prefer to retain my weapon.

I would either open carry (serious, and I have done so without incident myself) or politely and discretely inform somebody (wander, management, whatever fits) of your licensed/carrying status.

:upeyes:

BamaBud
07-15-2011, 15:31
I haven't been in a movie theatre in over 20 years.

Why would you want to go to one?

smokeross
07-15-2011, 15:41
I would take my business else where either way I understand the need for piracy protection but not at the cost of my rights. Wanding me so I can enter a movie theater is BS so is asking me to surrender or put my phone in the car. So I take my business else where you already pay such a huge premium to even go see the movie if anything they should treat you like King/Queen.

Around here movie tickets go from 12-25+ dollars a pop depending on theater. Locally your looking at 12 at some of the nicer IMax theaters it can be 25+.
Feel the same way about flying????

cowboy1964
07-15-2011, 15:53
Wait, so the wand detected your car keys but not your LCP?? She must have been really sloppy with that second pass.

rhikdavis
07-15-2011, 15:56

I like the aggravation.

LongGoneDays
07-15-2011, 16:01
Do you know if carrying is against their policy, and if it is does it carry the weight of law?
Those would be things I would consider.

If I'm in the legal clear, and wanded I would not pull up my shirt to show them what I had, I would say it's none of their business and if they refuse me entrance then so be it. If I'm not wanded and it is legal to carry, I'm going to carry.

Otherwise I'll be going somewhere else.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-15-2011, 16:09
When did the TSA start doing theater work??

Ah well, just look at it as a man card tax for watching chick flicks.

double.tap
07-15-2011, 16:15
Do you know if carrying is against their policy, and if it is does it carry the weight of law?
Those would be things I would consider.

If I'm in the legal clear, and wanded I would not pull up my shirt to show them what I had, I would say it's none of their business and if they refuse me entrance then so be it. If I'm not wanded and it is legal to carry, I'm going to carry.

Otherwise I'll be going somewhere else.

i hope not. if it carried the weight of the law he was no longer a license holder who lawfully carried into a movie theater. he was a criminal who committed felony weapons posession charges by carrying into an establishment that lawfully prohibits license holders.

CitizenOfDreams
07-15-2011, 16:16
Cue the "watching movies is a privilege" crowd.

HotRoderX
07-15-2011, 16:34

Yes I do thats why I avoid flying because some of the crap TSA does. I understand keeping people safe and I agree with it but you can take anything to far. Frisking children, Full body scans, abusing elderly and disabled by degrading them. Thats taking it to far I am kinda surprised they don't do a FBI back ground check on ever one who buys a ticket to fly. Half the crap they do has been shown to not even be effective remember hearing on the news that there have been several 1k breaches of security since these rules where implemented.

As long as there are other methods of getting around the country I will opt for them. People used cars to get around since the 1900's so I see nothing wrong with continuing to do that.

RenegadeGlocker
07-15-2011, 16:42

Pretty much complete BS. Move out of NY and learn to live free.

David Armstrong
07-15-2011, 16:50
i would rather not have to try to sneak around like some felon and pretend it was my car keys that set off their walmart purchased metal detectors.
Have you considered NOT sneaking around and respecting the rights of the business owner. The fact that you characterize it as "sneaking around" pretty much says that you know you are doing something that you think you are not supposed to be doing. I've never really understood this idea. If you are in violation of their rules sneaking around the rules doesn't address the problem.
you, and ONLY you, are responsible for the accidental deaths/injuries caused by your firearm.
Not really. There are a number of factors that come into play that can open the business to liability issues.

David Armstrong
07-15-2011, 16:57

+1. A nice big screen and a surround sound system in your own home provides a much better environment, IMO, and you get to control that environment. Volulme, seat selection, other people around you, no talking, no cell phones, cheap snacks, can sit there with a shotgun across your lap if you want....:supergrin:

kensteele
07-15-2011, 17:15

:upeyes:

Pretty much complete BS. Move out of NY and learn to live free.

You seriously made that up, didn't you Billy? Personally I don't think you know what you are talking about, Billy.

redbaron007
07-15-2011, 17:19
I respect the business's rights; depending on the situation will dictate whether or not I stay/leave. I guess my question is how do you know they would ask you to leave if disclosed? :dunno:

:wavey:

red

slickt0mmy
07-15-2011, 17:22
I came into this thread thinking it was going to be about the new Harry Potter movie being released today...:whistling:

Bren
07-15-2011, 17:27

If somebody asks me I just show them. I have a CCW permit, not a "00 license to kill" - so what?

itstime
07-15-2011, 17:35
Their house their rules. Simple. If tou don't like it or agree don't go.

Shinesintx
07-15-2011, 17:35
+1. A nice big screen and a surround sound system in your own home provides a much better environment, IMO, and you get to control that environment. Volulme, seat selection, other people around you, no talking, no cell phones, cheap snacks, can sit there with a shotgun across your lap if you want....:supergrin:

Last October, got a Rock River AR Pistol...watched a movie with the wife, the Ar pistol sat on my chest the entire time.:whistling:

3.slow
07-15-2011, 17:45
If I were CCW'ing legally & I was going to get wanded, I'd have my CCW permit ready to show them.

They don't know or care about such things

Deaf Smith
07-15-2011, 17:45
As long as no 30.06 sign is up, if the wand me I'll just show them my CHL.

And if there is a 30.06 sign, I won't spend my money there.

Deaf

maxniman
07-15-2011, 18:06

he had free tickets - he was not paying anything so had no 'business to take elsewhere'

RenegadeGlocker
07-15-2011, 18:11
Their house their rules. Simple. If tou don't like it or agree don't go.

You didn't even read his post did you?

There was no rule against CCW.

Rick O'Shay
07-15-2011, 18:14
Last time I went to the nearest movie theater, I saw the proper sign on the door, with the 1911 with the / circle on it. I turned around and came home, and have never gone back. I don't spend my money where my right to defend myself is prohibited. Netflix, etc., fills the bill at home.

Warp
07-15-2011, 18:25
i hope not. if it carried the weight of the law he was no longer a license holder who lawfully carried into a movie theater. he was a criminal who committed felony weapons posession charges by carrying into an establishment that lawfully prohibits license holders.

Felony?

Link to code violation that would make it a felony, please.

Your living room will never match an IMAX theater.

NecoDude
07-15-2011, 20:50
i leave a copy of this at any business that post no firearms signs:

i noticed your "no guns allowed" sign and will respect your wishes by shopping elsewhere.
second amendment to the united states constitution
a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

as a concealed handgun license holder
i have never been convicted of a felony.
i have never been convicted of a crime of violence.
i have never been convicted of domestic violence.
i am not addicted to nor do i use illegal drugs.
i am not under any indictment or a fugitive from justice.
i have passed both state and federal background checks.
what do you know about your other customers

i do like the idea of no cell phones being allowed in movie theaters.

^^^^ +10

larry_minn
07-15-2011, 22:30
Last time I was at Disney I was distracted going in. Lady security asked me to "slide whatever that is clipped to my pocket down" She then thanked me and waved me in. (every other time I did it before I got to gate)
I have often ignored the screening. Just work around them.

MadMonkey
07-15-2011, 22:36

Some of us come out of the basement now and then :whistling:

aeroengr
07-16-2011, 02:00
Love all of the people making fun of the OP for going to a movie theater. It might do some of you hermits good to get out every once in a while.

As for me, I live in Texas, and they can post any sign they want stating you can't bring a gun in and as long as it's not a 30.06, I'm carrying... and with the law on my side.

Yes I do thats why I avoid flying because some of the crap TSA does. I understand keeping people safe and I agree with it but you can take anything to far. Frisking children, Full body scans, abusing elderly and disabled by degrading them. Thats taking it to far I am kinda surprised they don't do a FBI back ground check on ever one who buys a ticket to fly. Half the crap they do has been shown to not even be effective remember hearing on the news that there have been several 1k breaches of security since these rules where implemented.

As long as there are other methods of getting around the country I will opt for them. People used cars to get around since the 1900's so I see nothing wrong with continuing to do that.

It's your right not to fly, but if you understood the gravity of 9/11, you'd understand why TSA does what they do. Terrorists will stop at no avail to strap C4 or any other harmful object to a kid...

DustyJacket
07-16-2011, 04:55
....they just endorsed the carrying of a loaded assault weapon..

Not sure what an "assault weapon" is, but I doubt that describes an LCP. :rofl:

ADK_40GLKr
07-16-2011, 05:37
Talking to the manager will usually get you nowhere .....

Better to ask forgiveness than beg for permission?

CDW4ME
07-16-2011, 05:38
I don't want to go to a movie bad enough to not carry; yes, I realize that was not the purpose of the wanding, just saying. I can rent it or see it on pay per view a few months later.

Yes. The last time I was on a plane was 1988. :supergrin:
They took my Spyderco, measured the blade at 3'' and handed it back to me; you could have a plain blade, but not serrated.

I take everything but the kitchen sink on trips. Prior to kids we took our dogs with us; now we take the kids and dogs. I boarded the dogs once and it cost me like $450 for a week. I've driven from the southeast to Washington state & back and that was years ago in a Geo Tracker.

I carry, I drive. :supergrin:

Bogey
07-16-2011, 05:59

So based on this logic, can't the Federal or State governments be sued for allowing the 2nd Amendment to be in the Constitution or for issuing Concealed Carry permits? (in the case of a SD shooting?)

Bren
07-16-2011, 06:53

Yes, they would probably file a lawsuit and that would create litigation expenses, but as far as actual liability, most of what corporations and law enforcement think about potential civil liability os a myth. I've defended plenty of both in civil suits and most - (like 99%ish) - are nothing but nuisance value (they want the defendant to pay a little to avoid the cost of defending). Because of that, there is little threat of real liability and the steps they take to avoid it don't really prevent nuisance suits, but they keep on with it anyhow.

hikerpaddler
07-16-2011, 06:54
I get a kick when folks talk about not surrendering their rights. You never had a right to carry on someone's property that didn't want you to. Any more than a complete stranger has the right to carry on your property or in your home against your wishes. Commercial does not equal public.

RottnJP
07-16-2011, 07:24
I missed the leap somewhere from "preventing video piracy" to "anti-CCW." If the state allows legal carry without preemption, or the venue doesn't have a preemption sign posted (where it carries the weight of law) give them the benefit of the doubt:

Discreetly show the screener your CCW permit. If they say they need to see what you have, you can politely ask why. If they say they are looking for recording devices, you can politely assure them you are not carrying a recording device. If they say anything about firearms, you can politely let them know that you are a licensed permit holder and legally carrying a firearm. You know, just have a grown-up conversation, not chest thumping or pontificating, as see where it goes.

Just make sure you understand the laws in your state first, and speak to a lawyer if needed to understand your footing in any such conversations.

If you are *not* legally allowed to carry there based on your state laws or signage, you get to choose which is more important to you any given night- Going to the movie after excusing yourself back to your car, or keeping your CCW. Very simple.

dwhite53
07-16-2011, 07:43
Have you considered NOT sneaking around and respecting the rights of the business owner. The fact that you characterize it as "sneaking around" pretty much says that you know you are doing something that you think you are not supposed to be doing. I've never really understood this idea. If you are in violation of their rules sneaking around the rules doesn't address the problem.

Going into the theater you're really kind of entering into a contract to obey the house rules. Then you sneak around and violate the rules.

If you paid your money to get into the theater and they didn't have any seats available how would you feel about that contract? Especially if they said they didn't care?

All the Best,
D. White

Bill Lumberg
07-16-2011, 07:48
You don't have to enter into a contract with a property owner for them to have rights. Armstrong and hiker are on-target. Excuses do not a right act make.

RenegadeGlocker
07-16-2011, 07:51
You don't have to enter into a contract with a property owner for them to have rights. Armstrong and hiker are on-target. Excuses do not a right act make.

They may be right, but they are in the wrong thread.

This thread has nothing to with whatever they are talking about.

SPIN2010
07-16-2011, 07:54
Cue the "watching movies is a privilege" crowd.

Just wait and see how many "New" privileges start to emerge in the brave new world. We are in for a ride, hold on!

Ryobi
07-16-2011, 07:59
Relevant and accurate. You don't have a right to carry there against their wishes, no difference if it's a phone or gun. They don't have a right to wand, they can turn you away. They also don't have a right to your money. You don't have to enter into a contract with a property owner for them to have rights. Armstrong and hiker are on-target. Excuses do not a right act make.

David Armstrong
07-16-2011, 08:55
Your living room will never match an IMAX theater.
True. My living room will never have rude people talking loudly during the movie, it will never have screaming children who are not removed, it will never have a half-dozen inconsiderate individuals talking or texting on their cell phones, it will never have a small popcorn and drink combo at $12 and so on.:supergrin:

Electrikkoolaid
07-16-2011, 09:50
I recently talked with a local business owner about his "No Guns" sign on his front door.

He stated he didn't realize that there a number of people who can legally carry, and the sign was aimed at the thugs, not "good" people. Unfortunately, the sign (which carries the weight of law in North Carolina) does not distinguish punks from people.

He agreed he would actually like to have legitimate gun owners around if the SHTF. In this case, education worked.

Using ideas from this thread, I have produced some cards that can be printed and handed out to other business owners. Please help spread the message in a non-obnoxious manner!

http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/no-guns-no-money.gif?w=538

http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/no-guns-no-money-2.gif?w=538

BamaBud
07-16-2011, 10:23

I like to be away from the petty (and not so petty) annoyances that come with being among the general public.

I also like to clean some of my rifles/pistols while watching a movie. (I also like to be able to take a whizz and not miss anything.)

So overall, I don't go to the theaters anymore. And I DON'T miss it.

Lephi
07-16-2011, 10:43

Guys, the OP went to an advanced screening which means he paid nothing to go and the wand is pretty standard practice not for weapons but for camcorder's at these things. The wife and I go to a few of them per year and I have yet to be not allowed in with my Kahr.

Next time OP discreetly and kindly speak with the whomever is in charge of the screening and most have no issue with it.

Yellowfin
07-16-2011, 11:09
Everyone always thinks the policy is made up by some anti-gun liberal who works at the corporate office. They're not, they're made up by corporate lawyers who know what a lawsuit is.Who are themselves anti gun liberals. That's the real problem.

GAFinch
07-16-2011, 19:43
Discreetly show the screener your CCW permit. If they say they need to see what you have, you can politely ask why. If they say they are looking for recording devices, you can politely assure them you are not carrying a recording device. If they say anything about firearms, you can politely let them know that you are a licensed permit holder and legally carrying a firearm. You know, just have a grown-up conversation, not chest thumping or pontificating, as see where it goes.

Wouldn't necessarily solve the OP's problem. Even if a no carry sign isn't legally binding in your state, a business is still allowed to ask you to leave if they learn you're carrying.

Markasaurus
07-16-2011, 20:31

Amen! If the film studios make the theatres do this crap to protect their precious one-star film (which 9 out of 10 movies are), they can suck it!

I can wait a few months and rent it for a buck, and not have to put up with sticky floors, stuffy theaters, the elbow of the person next to me, or some guy with a foot high Afro sitting down in front of me.

SuperSleuth
07-16-2011, 21:38
I came into this thread thinking it was going to be about the new Harry Potter movie being released today...:whistling:

I was thinking it was about something else entirely. :whistling:

CitizenOfDreams
07-16-2011, 21:56
I was thinking it was about something else entirely. :whistling:

And yet you clicked on the thread and checked it out. :whistling:

SuperSleuth
07-16-2011, 23:45
And yet you clicked on the thread and checked it out. :whistling:

:rofl:

NAC
07-17-2011, 01:06
I've actually worked security at these screening here in AZ. We were hired by the studios for pre-screenings, usually for critics and local celebrities about a week before wide screen release. The studios set the rules for each particular screening, the main purpose of security and wanding is to prevent piracy and having things released early.

At the screenings I've worked we had big sandwich boards set up at the individual screening entrance detailing what was prohibited. Weapons of any kind were always on there, this was studio policy regardless of what the actual theater's policy was. Per studio contract we even employed night vision with one person in the viewing booth having a set and another on the floor to catch people using their cells. They were always ejected immediately. The critics all new the game and never gave us any problems, it was always the guests they brought or people they gave screening passes to that tried to sneak in cameras or use their cells during the screening.

The studios always had very strict policies we needed to adhere to with some strange rules. If we failed to follow their rules we would simply lose the contract.

Some people need to understand constitutional law in more detail. Our rights granted to us by the constitution only pertain to us with respect between us and any government entities and their agents and what the government can or cannot restrict. With regard to other citizens, private parties, commercial parties etc. the rights detailed in the constitution don't apply. Sure there are some federal laws on the books that apply but those are statutory in nature.

Lior
07-17-2011, 01:26
OP: your money, your choice of entertainment. Wanding people at cinemas prevents video piracy like no parking signs prevent car bombing. If you are calling the tune with your hard earned cash, you decide who is allowed or not to invade your personal space and treat you like a criminal.

P.S. The buckle of a Wilderness Instructor belt that is worn over a pistol in a SmartCarry will set off a wand without raising any eyebrows.

ncglock19
07-17-2011, 21:14
Unfortunately, in North Carolina, we are prohibited from CCW in any place that charges admission. I'm assuming that would include a movie theater. :steamed:

nc19

REA9mm
07-19-2011, 08:01
There were no signs posted on the theater about prohibiting carry, not even an illegal sign, which is what I usually see around here. And the law only states that you cannot carry into a theater or sporting venue that seats more than 5000 people.

I think in the future, if the wand does go off, I will politely excuse myself to speak with the manager regarding the situation. If they ask me to place my firearm in the car, I will comply, but as a courtesy to my wife, not the theater.

Spats McGee
07-19-2011, 09:54
. . . .
http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/no-guns-no-money.gif?w=538

http://snoballs.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/no-guns-no-money-2.gif?w=538
These are excellent! What I really like is the fact that it only asks the property owner to change their policy, though I'd rather see it state " . . . to prohibit illegal gun possession," rather than "unlicensed."

Thank you.

polizei1
07-19-2011, 15:44
Some of you are pretty lucky...as far as I'm aware (please correct me if I'm wrong), in Ohio signs supersede CCW permits. Therefore, in Ohio we essentially cannot carry a firearm ANYWHERE because every damn business I've been to has a sign posted.

At least the restaurant carry bill will be added soon...but I'm sure just like everyone else, they will all just post the signs up instead. Awesome.

I would love to print out the cards and hand them to business', but honestly there are SO many places that have signs, you can't "take your business elsewhere" because those places also have signs!!!

Crimp
07-20-2011, 08:19

^^^^^^
That!

Warp
07-20-2011, 11:22
^^^^^^
That!

Because IMAX is awesome.

polizei1
07-20-2011, 11:30
Some of us, like me, enjoy seeing certain movies right when they come out.

Bill Lumberg
07-20-2011, 11:43
+1 polizei and warp. And there are no "illegal" no-gun signs.

Billy10mm
07-25-2011, 18:42
You seriously made that up, didn't you Billy? Personally I don't think you know what you are talking about, Billy.

Made up what?

This thread is about businesses that don't allow concealed handgun permit holders to carry on their property or in their place of business.

The OP suggested that he might have had a word with the manager of said establishment about the ridiculousness of such a policy and I merely stated that contrary to popular opinion, it's not some anti-gun manager somewhere that makes these things up, it's corporate lawyers and insurance companies, and it clearly is. There's a guy on GT here whose name I don't remember who owns his own company and although he carries at work, he has an anti-firearm policy for his employees. His reason, insurance liability.

What exactly did I make up?

The guy who bolded my text there on page one, bolded the obnoxious lawyer speak part. I'm a gun owner and on GT for Christ's sake, how dense does a person have to be to not get the intent of my post?

Billy10mm
07-25-2011, 18:45
Some of you are pretty lucky...as far as I'm aware (please correct me if I'm wrong), in Ohio signs supersede CCW permits. Therefore, in Ohio we essentially cannot carry a firearm ANYWHERE because every damn business I've been to has a sign posted.

At least the restaurant carry bill will be added soon...but I'm sure just like everyone else, they will all just post the signs up instead. Awesome.

I would love to print out the cards and hand them to business', but honestly there are SO many places that have signs, you can't "take your business elsewhere" because those places also have signs!!!

That can't be right .... you don't live in NY .... that must mean you live in a FREE STATE. How come you can't open-carry your M203 grenade launcher in a drop-leg holster wearing no clothes whatsoever except for argyle socks, a pair of Crocs, and a cowboy hat?

Something's amiss here - I'll find it sir I'll find it.

Toorop
07-26-2011, 03:11

Well you are free to stay at home. Nobody is forcing to pay these high prices you are complaining about.

Toorop
07-26-2011, 03:20
Who are themselves anti gun liberals. That's the real problem.

Yes, yes, everybody is an anti-gun liberal. That woman walking her dog is an anti-gun liberal. The theater manager is an anti-gun liberal. Those kids at the park are anti-gun liberals. It's alright, you're safe here on Glocktalk.

Seriously though, they are property owners and have the right to prohibit items. Do they have the right to prohibit cameras and camcorders? Yes, but what about the 1st Amendment and the freedom of the press? I am sure everyone who feels they have a right to carry a gun into the theater feels that people should be allowed to bring cameras to an advanced screening of a film.

mrsurfboard
07-26-2011, 12:12
Just another reason not to go to the movies. Add that to the list of rude, loud people, annoying teens and young crying children, gross seats, sticky floors and over priced tickets.

Brucev
07-27-2011, 08:15
Private property. Their rules. Comply and do business with them. If disagree, take business elsewhere. If want to disregard property owner's rules for entry/use, must consider what are the local ordinances/state laws and consequences that will follow if the property owner/prosecutor chooses to bring charges.

9x94
07-27-2011, 08:39
Man I'm glad I have a Glock 7... hopefully they don't invent a wand that detects ceramic Glocks!

tarheeltrav
07-27-2011, 08:50
i wouldnt try to educate him, and i never said i would. i said id call, tell him i am a texas CHL holder, i want to attend the movie but i dont want to cause a scene with the metal detectors in front. if he could wave me i would appreciate it. if he says no you cant bring a gun in here, ill say thanks for your time and youve lost all my future business and ill go do something else instead. its not a big deal.

i dont try to change businesses minds. my gun goes with me everywhere except when im out drinking. if my gun cant go in, i dont go in. if i dont go in, my money doesnt go in either. simple enough. i dont write them letters, i dont email them, i dont stand outfront telling them they are wrong. if you want to deny me my rights, i deny you my business.

:perfect10::goodpost::agree::bowdown:

Gallium
07-31-2011, 05:57

the movie theater cannot be sued for you legally carrying a weapon that you are licensed by the state to carry.

you, and ONLY you, are responsible for the accidental deaths/injuries caused by your firearm.

What part of Texas' Penal Code is this codified in?

will a movie theater manager know that off hand? maybe...maybe not. maybe hes got a CHL in his pocket. i wouldnt try to educate him, and i never said i would. i said id call, tell him i am a texas CHL holder, i want to attend the movie but i dont want to cause a scene with the metal detectors in front. if he could wave me i would appreciate it. if he says no you cant bring a gun in here, ill say thanks for your time and youve lost all my future business and ill go do something else instead. its not a big deal.

The reality is, there are more people in the United States that don't carry guns in public than do.

Good for you being calm about the thing, but your actions are for the most part inconsequential to the venue.

'Drew

Thorazine
08-03-2011, 15:43
Ankle holster.

Better yet...

Sombrero carry!

Under the right sombrero you can easily conceal four glock seventeens and a reload for each.

Also no one tends to check under the hat. =D

Adams454
08-03-2011, 15:57

:rofl: What about the Free tickets the OP was talking about. He didn't pay anything for the movie. Does that change your opinion?

Wuchak
08-03-2011, 21:10
I love threads where it is obvious 90% of the respondents did not read the original post and are arguing strongly about a completely different situation than what really happened.
Facts from the first post
1. This was not a regular "just going to the movies" event. It was a prescreening which means the movie had not been released yet. The wanding was in place only for this event to keep people with movie cameras out. The movie theater in question does not wand people for any regular movie screening.
2. Nobody and no sign said the OP couldn't carry. He was just concerned about how to handle the situation if his CCW set off the alarm.
3. He was able to enter the theater without incident.

Somehow by page two there are rants against the theater, posts about rights, etc. The theater did nothing to prevent him from carrying on their property. Should his firearm have triggered the wand he could have just discretely shown his CCW permit. The person doing the wanding would likely have just let him pass by. If they needed to see it to verify that it wasn't a camera he could have requested that he show them in a private location. If it wasn't worth that hassle he could have gone home or placed his firearm in his car. No need for hysterics, confrontation, or anything else. It was really a completely non-event. Personally I would have simply placed the gun in the car when I took the phones out and taken the massive risk of being unarmed for an hour and half in a prescreening where everyone has been wanded.

I go to the movies regularly. I love sitting in a cool theater with stadium seating, a huge screen, and a killer sound system at a matinee for $4. The theater I go to does not restrict carry on their premises. I think there is one chain in town that does but I don't go there and wouldn't no matter what their CCW policy because their prices are too high.

RussP
08-03-2011, 21:19
:thumbsup:I love threads where it is obvious 90% of the respondents did not read the original post and are arguing strongly about a completely different situation than what really happened.
1. This was not a regular "just going to the movies" event. It was a prescreening which means the movie had not been released yet. The wanding was in place only for this event to keep people with movie cameras out. The movie theater in question does not wand people for any regular movie screening.
2. Nobody and no sign said the OP couldn't carry. He was just concerned about how to handle the situation if his CCW set off the alarm.

Somehow by page two there are rants against the theater, posts about rights, etc. The theater did nothing to prevent him from carrying on their property. Should his firearm have triggered the wand he could have just discretely shown his CCW permit. The person doing the wanding would likely have just let him pass by. If they needed to see it to verify that it wasn't a camera he could have requested that he show them in a private location. If it wasn't worth that hassle he could have gone home or placed his firearm in his car. No need for hysterics, confrontation, or anything else. It was really a completely non-event. Personally I would have simply placed the gun in the car when I took the phones out and taken the massive risk of being unarmed for an hour and half in a prescreening where everyone has been wanded.

I go to the movies regularly. I love sitting in a cool theater with stadium seating, a huge screen, and a killer sound system at a matinee for $4. The theater I go to does not restrict carry on their premises. I think there is one chain in town that does but I don't go there and wouldn't no matter what their CCW policy because their prices are too high.

Thorazine
08-04-2011, 15:41
I love threads where it is obvious 90% of the respondents did not read the original post and are arguing strongly about a completely different situation than what really happened.

Indeed.

I would just choose to dine out somewhere else.

RussP
08-04-2011, 16:02
Indeed.

I would just choose to dine out somewhere else.:rofl:

Toorop
08-04-2011, 20:02

I agree with you for the most part. I do wish I could find matinee shows in my area for $4.00 as most are a few dollars more and some theaters do not have them at all.

However I am surprised that the anti-property rights crowd did not step up and say that people should have the right to carry cameras into the theater under their first amendment right regarding power of the press and that the theater has no right to ban people from carrying a legal item.