Best IPad Clone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best IPad Clone?

GLWyandotte
07-16-2011, 09:10
My sister's got an IPad. Now I want one, but not thrilled with Mac and it's price, etc.
Can anyone recommend a decent clone that doesn't cost an arm and two legs that has similar attributes and capabilities?

Chevytuff19
07-16-2011, 09:38
Actually, the iPads are reasonably priced for what you get. You won't find anything else that offers as good of a user experience for what the iPad costs. There is the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Motorola Xoom, but my experience with handling them a couple of times is that they are kind of buggy and the android tablet apps are still really lacking.

You could probably find a lightly used iPad 1 for ~$275-$300.

boomhower
07-16-2011, 10:32
Actually, the iPads are reasonably priced for what you get. You won't find anything else that offers as good of a user experience for what the iPad costs. There is the Samsung Galaxy Tab and Motorola Xoom, but my experience with handling them a couple of times is that they are kind of buggy and the android tablet apps are still really lacking.

You could probably find a lightly used iPad 1 for ~$275-$300.

Agreed. I have an iPad two and absolutely love it. You are getting a lot of hardware for the money. You don't need a Mac computer to use one, iTunes works just fine with Windows.

The best Android tablet right now is the Asus Transform. But the Android tables OS is in it's infancy so it's not anywhere near as polished as the iOS. Also the app store is not even in the near ballpark as Apples. Android tablets have only been around for six months or so which results in not many tablet oriented apps out there yet. The iPad is the way to go if you want a tablet. Keep a check on Apples website and you can get an iPad 1 refurb for $349 with a one year Apple warranty. That's the cheapest I would go but strongly recommend to get the iPad 2 is you can float it. You are getting a lot better hardware, the dual core CPU and additional RAM make a huge difference.

Linux3
07-16-2011, 23:03
Friend of mine HAD an Asus Transformer which he really liked untill the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 came out.
Some how he convinced Best Buy to take back the Asus and bought the Samsung.
I am not really interested in a pad but I must say the Samsung is very slick.

The reasons for Android tablets is not price it's openness. I do not like the lack of any connectivity of the iPad.
If I buy such a device I will, like my friend want a mini-usb and SD port.

Anyway, have a look at Best Buy and stay away from the Xoom. That thing gave Android a bad name all by itself.

boomhower
07-20-2011, 20:11
Anyway, have a look at Best Buy and stay away from the Xoom. That thing gave Android a bad name all by itself.

What's wrong with the Xoom. Aside from the screen it has essentially the same hardware as all the new Android tablets. Tegra 2 etc.

Pretty much the main differences between all the new Android tablets is the screen and form factor. The internal hardware is extremely similar across the industry. Some toss some useless junk ontop of the OS and I would avoid those.

Linux3
07-21-2011, 06:03
What's wrong with the Xoom. Aside from the screen it has essentially the same hardware as all the new Android tablets. Tegra 2 etc.

Far as I know the SD slot on the Xoom still isn't working.
The screen is not gorilla-glass and feels flimsy.
It's not a real polished version of Android and it feels slow.
WiFi is very slow to connect.
It's quite heavy.

The Samsung looks and feels very snappy. It's also the lightest.
The Asus Transformer is nice but the build quality is not up to Samsung.
The Acer has great build quality. Acer surprised me! The screen is not as nice as the Samsung but very close.