Glock Clone builds? Home builds? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Clone builds? Home builds?

hackinpeat
07-16-2011, 12:50
So I suppose the title says it all. I'd like to see people's custom 100% ground up work. I may decide to build a glock clone this coming year if I don't spend too much time building my CNC machines. Lets see what you've built!

cciman
07-16-2011, 20:12
It will cost you three times as much for a tool that may not work as well.

Good Luck.

actually, that was a smart alecky answer....sorry. It is a relatively cheap gun to buy, why would you want to waste your time and materials to build it. Used its even cheaper. Its like building a a custom Ford Focus, why bother?

hackinpeat
07-17-2011, 19:39
Not really, I'd buy the internals and a barrel, and I'll build the slide and receiver from aircraft aluminum stock I can get for free. Why? because I can/want to see if I can. It would also be fun to have an all metal "show" glock, even if it isn't as good as a factory original. You knwo the old addage "you show your kimber to your friends, and your glock to your enemies." Well... I could show my built glock to my friends without shame. The major issues I see with the build would be #1 the slide will need some steel innards, and the lighter weight would require testing a lot of springs. #2 all the fixtures to machine the gun will be a challenge. Copying the glock into a solid model won't be hard, I'll have to make a custom tool or two, but the rest should be fairly straight forward, albeit very time consuming. Maybe I should get ridiculously mall ninja about it and build a supressed .50! Then all the $$$ I save can be spent on lasers, a bayonet, and a net gun or grenage launcher attachment. :rofl:

humanguerrilla
07-18-2011, 00:18
I'd like to see the finished product. I've seen very nice Glock CCF/Caspian/Lonewolf slides on CCF aluminum and stainless raceframes with nice finishes. If you are a talented enough machinist to do a good job with it, I'd think you could add some interesting/useful custom touches and there could be a market for that work.

DWARREN123
07-18-2011, 08:31
I would not build a Glock ground up, maybe modify it. Too much money and not like a 1911 series pistol.

cciman
07-18-2011, 15:36
Alot of time, work, tooling, for a $350 gun. And that is just copying the original specs, without necessarily improving the design. I assume you are relying on Glock small parts too. Then as, you say, there is some R&D to find the right tuning of components.

If one detail is out of spec, it can turn your entire tool into a paperweight.

Have fun.

Glockrunner
07-19-2011, 05:13
Not really, I'd buy the internals and a barrel, and I'll build the slide and receiver from aircraft aluminum stock I can get for free. Why? because I can/want to see if I can. It would also be fun to have an all metal "show" glock, even if it isn't as good as a factory original. You knwo the old addage "you show your kimber to your friends, and your glock to your enemies." Well... I could show my built glock to my friends without shame. The major issues I see with the build would be #1 the slide will need some steel innards, and the lighter weight would require testing a lot of springs. #2 all the fixtures to machine the gun will be a challenge. Copying the glock into a solid model won't be hard, I'll have to make a custom tool or two, but the rest should be fairly straight forward, albeit very time consuming. Maybe I should get ridiculously mall ninja about it and build a supressed .50! Then all the $$$ I save can be spent on lasers, a bayonet, and a net gun or grenage launcher attachment. :rofl:

I don't understand why you feel ashamed to show it to anyone. But then, I don't "Show OFF" my collection. My firearms are just tools to me, nothing cool, nothing to awe about.