I'm sorry, Win 7 just sucks. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, Win 7 just sucks.

IndyGunFreak
07-16-2011, 17:10
Old reliable (my Acer 5315) bit the dust the other day (screen went out)... After retrieving all my data w/ a LCD, I embarked on a mission to get a new, fairly inexpensive laptop.

Ended up w/ an Acer 4388. Not a bad deal really (299 after tax).. I want to like Win 7, cuz everyone says how great it is, but.. I just can't.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Aspire+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+2GB+Memory+/+250GB+Hard+Drive/2845071.p?id=1218356319700&skuId=2845071

It's a little low on ram for a 64bit system (which I have no idea why they installed 64bit)... so I expected it to be a little slow. Speed is not my issue w/ it however.

Maybe I'm just to used to Linux, but this interface sucks. I considered XP pretty good, this just has to much "pizzaz" for me, and for a pc/laptop w/ limited specs, it's just unnecessary. I think Linux should set up on this laptop fairly easy... I've spent the last few hours uninstalling crap, clearing space, etc.. and should be booting a Live USB any time.

I'll keep you updated.. :)

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 17:35
Does it have a "classic" mode you can switch to? I think that PC is 64 but it's single core. Some small memory upgrade might help but that one seems pretty speedy to me. Most of my PC's are old though. I did do some speed testing with one of those and past 3 GB of memory it doesn't really get any faster but I think 3 GB might be faster than 2 GB. I use 2 GB with no problem. I was thinking about getting one of those as I have an extra 4 GB of memory. I think Windows 7 has features that can be turned down or switched off to make it faster.

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 17:36
Which wifi card does that have?

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 17:50
Your link goes to the 4339 not the 4388. It looks like it has the fairly new Atheros wired LAN. In Linux that still usually requires downloading and compiling the drivers. The wireless driver shouldn't be as difficult though. The Acer website says it has Broadcom or Atheros or Intel wireless. It might take some work to get the wired network to work though.

Angry Fist
07-16-2011, 17:54
It puts the blows in Winblows.... :whistling:

IndyGunFreak
07-16-2011, 17:58
My mistake, it is a 4339, I thought it was a 4338.

Atheros 9285, on the live USB now, wireless works fine. I've not tested the ethernet port, as I'm not overly concerned about it right now. I've never had to compile an ethernet driver in 8yrs of using Linux (including on some very new hardware)... Ethernet has always "just worked". Wireless can sometimes be an issue, but I generally pay pretty close attention to the devices I get, and I have a good idea what will very likely work, and what likely won't.

When I saw it was an Atheros device, I was 99.999% sure it was gonna work just fine.

I'm installing now, I think I'm gonna have to make some tweaks to get my sound recognized properly, but it shouldn't be an issue.

As for 7, I'll look for Classic mode, but I looked for some option to disable the effects, etc.. and nothing was painfully obvious.

As long as my sound works after I finish installing (and I feel pretty confident it will)... Then I won't be booting 7 very much at all... maybe just to sync my Zune.

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 18:10
It used to be common for Acer to use Broadcom Ethernet but the newer ones are using a new Atheros Ethernet. Linux doesn't include the driver for it. Atheros offers a package on their website so you can compile the driver.

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 18:13
I like Atheros wireless. Here is a Google search with some Windows 7 speed up info links.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=speed+up+windows+7+home+premium&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=97eede9ed711c932&biw=800&bih=410

Pierre!
07-16-2011, 18:13
I am sure you will think this sounds funny.... :rofl:

But -

Did you try the Help function? When you learn to ask right, it does actually sometimes work really well...

Worth a shot...

And sorry if that sounds *snotty*... it's not meant that way... It's just that we aren't used to having help that kinda worked in a while !!!:rofl:

:cool:

Seriously, you might be surprised. :cool:

IndyGunFreak
07-16-2011, 18:15
I am sure you will think this sounds funny.... :rofl:

But -

Did you try the Help function? When you learn to ask right, it does actually sometimes work really well...

Worth a shot...

:cool:

Help function? Are you kidding me.. :)

Updating my installed OS now, after that, I'll fix my sound (I'm 99.99% sure I know the issue there).

GIockGuy24
07-16-2011, 18:21
Ah, it's called "classic view."

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=windows+7+home+premium+classic+view&aq=0b&aqi=g-b1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=97eede9ed711c932&biw=800&bih=410

Pierre!
07-16-2011, 18:35
Why Not Indy???

I have to use a manual, a forum, and search tools to do anything useful on Linux... :whistling: Cause Linux is so *eAsY* :rofl:

*SnOrT*

Stupid Rum...

You *know* I am just joshin you Indy...
Jess yankin yer chain a bit on Saturday night! :supergrin:

Patrick

I'll put on my Nomex Flightsuit in preparation of the pay back...:faint:

Pierre!
07-16-2011, 18:37
Funniest part -

I tell Indy to use help, and it took me 15 minutes to find "Turn Off Visual Effects"....

NOW Indy's laughin...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

IndyGunFreak
07-16-2011, 19:03
OK, partial success, sound is working now, but for some reason, not passing through to my earbuds (yes, they are working fine... they work in.. gasp.. 7)

Tried virtually every sound setting there is... Off to Google...

IGF

Green_Manelishi
07-16-2011, 19:11
I want to like Win 7, cuz everyone says how great it is, but.. I just can't.

It is great; compared to Visduh.

CitizenOfDreams
07-16-2011, 19:13
Windows 7 does indeed have sucky interface elements, but most of them can be eliminated by using Classic theme and a few 3rd party utilities.

Classic Shell - gives you back classic (Win2000 style) Start Menu and a few Explorer improvements.

DisableTaskbarOnTop - fixes the arrogance of Microsoft developers who made Windows 7 taskbar always stay on top (ignoring numerous cries from disappointed users).

Folder Band - this annoying feature can be removed by replacing shellstyle.dll.

Quick Launch - can be emulated by creating a new toolbar.

GAFinch
07-16-2011, 19:23
I know how you feel, my computer isn't fancy enough to run either GNOME 3 or Unity...

IndyGunFreak
07-16-2011, 19:51
I know how you feel, my computer isn't fancy enough to run either GNOME 3 or Unity...

http://www.lubuntu.net

It'll fix you up (I personally love it)..

I've got partial success on the sound... Sound is coming through my speakers, but not to my headphones.

I'll figure it out eventually.

GAFinch
07-16-2011, 20:21
http://www.lubuntu.net

It'll fix you up (I personally love it)..

Ubuntu 10.10 actually runs very well on my machine, there's just something disturbing about Linux OS's being too much for a 5 year old computer (it has the original 32 bit Core Duo). I just installed Fedora last week to try out the RH platform, but it was a little sluggish and then froze up while downloading updates, so I just trashed it. Haven't decided whether to re-install it or go for broke and replace it with CentOS.

It's interesting to read your Win 7 thoughts, as I'm gonna need to buy a new computer soon as my LCD is developing vertical lines on it.

CitizenOfDreams
07-16-2011, 20:52
there's just something disturbing about Linux OS's being too much for a 5 year old computer (it has the original 32 bit Core Duo).

Well, here goes the legend of "lean, fast Linux" vs. "slow, bloated Windows". :upeyes:

I have been using Win7 on my home computer with a 2004 motherboard (of course, the hard drive was modern and the RAM was souped-up to 4GB). It was very usable; only the untimely death of the motherboard made me build a new machine a few months ago.

IndyGunFreak
07-17-2011, 05:15
Situation resolved.. :)

For anyone else who might come across this...

lspci of my sound device:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)

output of cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC271X
Codec: Intel IbexPeak HDMI

That was really the key in my search for answers, I had to do some config editing when my old laptop was new, and this laptop is apparently no exception, except now there's apparently a fairly simple GUI tool that will make the changes system wide, rather than having to set individual program access.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/03/how-to-switch-to-alsa-or-oss-instead-of.html

This more or less explains what I had to do, You can skip the terminal stuff, and just go down to what is under "Update"... Note the first time you run gstreamer-properties, you might be told gnome-media is missing... you can simply install it from the repos, then run gstreamer-properties again.

After playing w/ the settings there for a minute, all is working perfect now.

Edit: By the way, I do want to thank gameinschaft, who brainstormed w/ me on this.

IndyGunFreak
07-17-2011, 05:22
Well, here goes the legend of "lean, fast Linux" vs. "slow, bloated Windows". :upeyes:

I have been using Win7 on my home computer with a 2004 motherboard (of course, the hard drive was modern and the RAM was souped-up to 4GB). It was very usable; only the untimely death of the motherboard made me build a new machine a few months ago.

Some versions of Linux, are just as (if not more) bloated than anything coming out of Redmond.. this is just a simple fact. Ubuntu has frankly approached a level of bloat that I can no longer tolerate. Do I still think it's the best version of Linux for a newb? Yup.

This is one reason I like Lubuntu so much. It maintains the ease of Ubuntu, while keeping as lean as possible. It's certainly not as "pretty" as many other releases, but I love it's simplicity (and frankly, there's something pretty sexy about it.. :))

sappy13
07-17-2011, 12:12
all windows machines are the exact same to me. id prefer to just use linux and be done with windows entirely. if it wasnt for working with windows machines at work, along with needing windows for netflix and itunes, i would not have a dual booted pc, id be all linux. and if my laptop would support virtualization, i wouldnt even be dualbooted. VM's ftw

gemeinschaft
07-17-2011, 13:59
Situation resolved.. :)

Edit: By the way, I do want to thank gameinschaft, who brainstormed w/ me on this.

IGF = Brain

Gemeinschaft = Stormed

tous
07-18-2011, 05:51
I'm sure Steve Balmer is crying right now over the fact that you don't like his product. :upeyes:

IndyGunFreak
07-18-2011, 06:26
I'm sure Steve Balmer is crying right now over the fact that you don't like his product. :upeyes:

Probably not, but I can still voice the fact it sucks.. :)

Linux3
07-18-2011, 19:13

Look out IGF he's going to throw a chair at you.

A sure sign of a stable and very technical CEO.

Drjones
07-18-2011, 21:16
So, IGF, my little black & white friend....

Win7 "just sucks" because it has "too much pizazz" (is that a technical term? :tongueout: ) but linux is so blindingly awesome, overflowing with sunshine and unicorns, that you can't even get it to run a wireless NIC or produce sound through headphones?

:wow:

Man, you're right!

I just *hate* doing a fresh install of 7 on even an old (5+ years) machine, and everything JUST WORKS without hunting down drivers....man, lots of suckage going on there!

Have fun not getting on the internet, in complete silence, with your awesome penguin-created OS.

:tongueout:

:wavey:

IndyGunFreak
07-19-2011, 01:27
So, IGF, my little black & white friend....

Win7 "just sucks" because it has "too much pizazz" (is that a technical term? :tongueout: ) but linux is so blindingly awesome, overflowing with sunshine and unicorns, that you can't even get it to run a wireless NIC or produce sound through headphones?

:wow:

Man, you're right!

I just *hate* doing a fresh install of 7 on even an old (5+ years) machine, and everything JUST WORKS without hunting down drivers....man, lots of suckage going on there!

Have fun not getting on the internet, in complete silence, with your awesome penguin-created OS.

:tongueout:

:wavey:

Hmm, you obviously missed something (or maybe I am..), My wireless worked fine out of the box, no issues at all. My sound had some issues going to headphones, but as I detailed above, that was simply some configuration issues. My sound device doesn't play well with the "default" sound set up, so I had to do some configuring on it...

Now that I know how to do it... it takes about 15sec to fix. Yeah, it took me about an hour of Googling/Brainstorming to fix the problem.. but it really wasn't that difficult.

Again, maybe I missed something

Glock!9
07-19-2011, 01:49
In the environments i support i love win 7

tous
07-19-2011, 05:38
Probably not, but I can still voice the fact it sucks.. :)

:supergrin:

tous
07-19-2011, 05:39
Look out IGF he's going to throw a chair at you.

A sure sign of a stable and very technical CEO.

The CEO of Microsoft has a stable? :headscratch:
That mean he has horsies? :horse:

:supergrin:

Pierre!
07-19-2011, 07:17
Ahhhhh - Justification!

Tis a Thing Of Beauty...

And - We Haz It! :rofl:

IndyGunFreak
07-19-2011, 08:29
Ahhhhh - Justification!

Tis a Thing Of Beauty...

And - We Haz It! :rofl:

I'm not justifying anything..

Just saying it doesn't bother me to spend an hour figuring out a sound problem (lets face it, if I built a PC, and installed an OEM of WIn 7, I'd spend at least 20min installing drivers/setting up hardware that I installed).

So it's really just a trade off. Everything only "just works" when you walk into Best Buy, and buy a PC or laptop, and use it w/ the OS it came with. Someone, at some point, had to configure it and get the devices installed/working. To me, it doesn't matter if I configure it, or if some 12yr old working 16hr shifts in Taiwan does.

IGF

zigzagg321
07-19-2011, 09:50
Ive got W7 64 on my desktop, and W7 32 on my netbook... both have been 100% flawless for over two years now. I have no complaints and think W7 trounces XP. I had Linux on this netbook for awhile, and after I found that it couldnt talk to HP networked printers(after expert help), I trashed it for W7 32 which does everything I ask it to, no fuss and its quick.

Glock!9
07-19-2011, 10:02

Just saying it doesn't bother me to spend an hour figuring out a sound problem (lets face it, if I built a PC, and installed an OEM of WIn 7, I'd spend at least 20min installing drivers/setting up hardware that I installed).

So it's really just a trade off. Everything only "just works" when you walk into Best Buy, and buy a PC or laptop, and use it w/ the OS it came with. Someone, at some point, had to configure it and get the devices installed/working. To me, it doesn't matter if I configure it, or if some 12yr old working 16hr shifts in Taiwan does.

IGFi think you may have done something wrong....I have built a few win 7 machines the only drives i had to spend time on were printer drivers.

Pierre!
07-19-2011, 10:07

IGF

Hey Indy,

It's not you alone... You can play it any way you want it - Linux, Mac, Windows...

Each of us justifies out favorite - and typically our favorite is the one we are most familiar with.

Wasn't a shot at you, we all are this way! :rofl:

It's The Human Condition...

Besides, we all know that OS/2 was the *best* OS ever made, and Bill ripped them off too!

Patrick

IndyGunFreak
07-19-2011, 10:57
i think you may have done something wrong....I have built a few win 7 machines the only drives i had to spend time on were printer drivers.

I've not built a Win 7 machine yet, just XP and Vista, so I'll take your word for it that it downloads drivers during the install process somehow..

IGF

Glock!9
07-19-2011, 11:01
I've not built a Win 7 machine yet, just XP and Vista, so I'll take your word for it that it downloads drivers during the install process somehow..

IGF

its pretty easy....I will say i have had a lot of issues with 64bit version and printing....

GIockGuy24
07-19-2011, 14:29
I only have one computer with Windows 7 and it dual boots with Scientific Linux. I don't use Windows 7 often so it doesn't bother me much that the interface is different from older versions of Windows.

CitizenOfDreams
07-19-2011, 14:40
Everything only "just works" when you walk into Best Buy, and buy a PC or laptop, and use it w/ the OS it came with. Someone, at some point, had to configure it and get the devices installed/working. To me, it doesn't matter if I configure it, or if some 12yr old working 16hr shifts in Taiwan does.

Difference is, to configure a device in Windows all I normally have to do is insert the disk that came in the box and cick "OK". I don't have to edit config files or browse forums in search of guru's wisdom to make something as basic as an audio card work.

IndyGunFreak
07-19-2011, 14:52
Difference is, to configure a device in Windows all I normally have to do is insert the disk that came in the box and cick "OK". I don't have to edit config files or browse forums in search of guru's wisdom to make something as basic as an audio card work.

Well, I don't have to worry if I click on a link while googling instructions, I'll get the latest malware...

It's a tradeoff I guess, and one I'm perfectly willing to make. Linux isn't perfect by any stretch. However, when you consider the vast array of hardware out there, and that quite often, Linux installs w/o a hitch, despite most manufacturers not supporting it...

That's pretty impressive.

wct097
07-19-2011, 18:25
I flat out love Win 7 over Vista or XP. There are a number of interface features that 7 has that just aren't found in other OSs. Windows, in Windows, just work better. Resizing/maximizing.... love it. Hate trying to maximize a window in OSX.

With Windows 7, between the resizing tricks, and the search feature, I couldn't ask for more in respect to the interface. I'm also seeing mult-touch track pads on Win7 laptops, which really takes all of the steam away from OSX's interface.

RDW
07-19-2011, 18:47
Works flawlessly for ME.

WvHiker
07-19-2011, 18:55
I use Windows 7 at work, and it flat out isn't up to the task. I lose files when programs randomly encounter a problem and shut down, I have to reinstall software, our network is iffy at best.

Linux3
07-19-2011, 20:55
If what you are saying is true for most people then why oh why are there so many questions here about getting printers, networks, backups, updates fail, lost files, worms, viruses and lions and tigers and bears Oh My!

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on a new system 4 weeks ago and everything just worked. Then I wiped it and installed Omega 14 64bit and it still just works.
My Samsung ML-2010 printer, my Epson 1660 photo scanner, web camera for Skype, Software RAID 1 and 0, everything.
Ya know, the fun is gone from Linux. I use to enjoy spending a few hours getting everything just as I want it. Now...... It just works and what's the fun in that. And it just keeps working and working.

tous
07-20-2011, 05:20
Hey Indy,

It's not you alone... You can play it any way you want it - Linux, Mac, Windows...

Each of us justifies out favorite - and typically our favorite is the one we are most familiar with.

Wasn't a shot at you, we all are this way! :rofl:

It's The Human Condition...

Besides, we all know that OS/2 was the *best* OS ever made, and Bill ripped them off too!

Patrick

Nay, sir! Nay!

DR-DOS was the best, the only operating system that ever worked first time, every time.

:tease:

<--- still has the install diskettes for OS/2 --- THE WAVE!!!!!

Pierre!
07-20-2011, 06:47
Nay, sir! Nay!

DR-DOS was the best, the only operating system that ever worked first time, every time.

:tease:

<--- still has the install diskettes for OS/2 --- THE WAVE!!!!!

It's WARP Bro, OS/2 WARP - and I *just* donated my set with applications a couple of months ago... :crying:

Every played with Deskview / Deskview 386? Ran a multi-line BBS based on RBBS on that bad boy.... MultiTasking 286-16Mhz with 2 megs o ram! It was great working for a computer store!!! :supergrin:

Ahhhh... Great Memories!

CitizenOfDreams
07-20-2011, 07:04
http://home.citizenofdreams.com/gt/tr-dos.gif

gemeinschaft
07-20-2011, 07:21
I had Linux on this netbook for awhile, and after I found that it couldnt talk to HP networked printers(after expert help), I trashed it for W7 32 which does everything I ask it to, no fuss and its quick.

I have a networked HP Laser Printer and I can honestly say that it doesn't matter if I have a Linux Box, my GF's Mac, my Windows Work laptop and even some other devices... All of them can print to it without issues.

I think HP Network Printers will work with pretty much any device that can print. LOL

wct097
07-20-2011, 07:38
If what you are saying is true for most people then why oh why are there so many questions here about getting printers, networks, backups, updates fail, lost files, worms, viruses and lions and tigers and bears Oh My!

If Chevy had 95% of the market share, there would be more questions about problems with Chevrolets than Fords. It doesn't mean that Ford is inherently better.

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on a new system 4 weeks ago and everything just worked. Then I wiped it and installed Omega 14 64bit and it still just works.
My Samsung ML-2010 printer, my Epson 1660 photo scanner, web camera for Skype, Software RAID 1 and 0, everything.
Ya know, the fun is gone from Linux. I use to enjoy spending a few hours getting everything just as I want it. Now...... It just works and what's the fun in that. And it just keeps working and working.

My Ubuntu 11.04 box randomly locks up. Machine won't respond to ping, can't SSH into it, but it's still running. Audio is funky, and the video leaves a lot to be desired. I can't watch youtube videos at full size without it locking up, but they work fine at low res. It also took me a couple hours to get the wireless card working.

I still love Ubuntu, but I find it comical and completely at odds with my experience when I read comments here about Windows 7 not working, and Ubuntu (or any other Linux) just working 100% out of the box.

Windows 7, OTOH, has worked right out of the box on every PC I've installed it on. Granted I'm mostly dealing with home-built stuff, and some newer (<3 y/old ) Dell and Mac laptops. The only recent machine I've seen issues with was a friend's POS Acer.

Linux3
07-20-2011, 13:42
My Ubuntu 11.04 box randomly locks up. Machine won't respond to ping, can't SSH into it, but it's still running. Audio is funky, and the video leaves a lot to be desired. I can't watch youtube videos at full size without it locking up, but they work fine at low res. It also took me a couple hours to get the wireless card working.
I still love Ubuntu, but I find it comical and completely at odds with my experience when I read comments here about Windows 7 not working, and Ubuntu (or any other Linux) just working 100% out of the box.

Windows 7, OTOH, has worked right out of the box on every PC I've installed it on. Granted I'm mostly dealing with home-built stuff, and some newer (<3 y/old ) Dell and Mac laptops. The only recent machine I've seen issues with was a friend's POS Acer.
The ssh issue is because Ubuntu, by default, doesn't install ssh-server.
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client
sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start

It has been quite a while since I had wireless card problems. and as for flash problems. I'm with Steve Jobs on this "Flash is evil".

If vendors wrote drivers for Linux everything would just work out of the box for it too. The problem is not with Linux but rather a lack of vendor support. Vendors want my buck$, support ME. That's why I only use NVidia graphics.

Linux3
07-20-2011, 13:46
Ive got W7 64 on my desktop, and W7 32 on my netbook... both have been 100% flawless for over two years now. I have no complaints and think W7 trounces XP. I had Linux on this netbook for awhile, and after I found that it couldnt talk to HP networked printers(after expert help), I trashed it for W7 32 which does everything I ask it to, no fuss and its quick.
Sorry but if your 'expert help' could not get HP JetDirect working for remote printing I would seriously question their abilities.
It's just cake to set up. And easier with Linux than Windows because HP wrote it for Unix first.

IndyGunFreak
07-20-2011, 14:10
Sorry but if your 'expert help' could not get HP JetDirect working for remote printing I would seriously question their abilities.
It's just cake to set up. And easier with Linux than Windows because HP wrote it for Unix first.

:agree:

HP and EPSON are typically the most well supported printers out there. Lexmark typically is a PITA, but even my cheap Lexmark, I can network print and print wirelessly to.

The ssh issue is because Ubuntu, by default, doesn't install ssh-server.
sudo apt-get install openssh-server openssh-client
sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start

It has been quite a while since I had wireless card problems. and as for flash problems. I'm with Steve Jobs on this "Flash is evil".

If vendors wrote drivers for Linux everything would just work out of the box for it too. The problem is not with Linux but rather a lack of vendor support. Vendors want my buck$, support ME. That's why I only use NVidia graphics.

I don't use SSH, so I'm of no help there.. but on the last two comments, especially about hardware vendor support (which of course, is Linux's fault)... you hit the nail on the head.

This is why when I buy stuff(laptops, graphics card).. if it's not Nvidia for graphics, or Atheros or Intel for Wireless, I just don't bother getting it.

IGF

boomhower
07-20-2011, 20:08
I've been more than happy with W7. I like Vista, it was good if you had the hardware powerful enough to run it properly. They aren't good for using older hardware and even older software. Up to date stuff is needed. W7 is much more efficient than Vista was and runs better than slower stuff.

Another thing to consider is it's not MS fault that old hardware doesn't always work right. The manufacturer also has the responsibility to update drivers, not just MS.

IndyGunFreak
07-20-2011, 20:23
Another thing to consider is it's not MS fault that old hardware doesn't always work right. The manufacturer also has the responsibility to update drivers, not just MS.

FWIW, the laptop that started this thread, is less than a week old. I wouldn't blame 7, when they installed it on hardware that 7 did not support, just as I don't blame Linux, when there's not a hardware driver available for it, and something doesn't work.

Given that Linux gets so little recognition from hardware manufacturers, it's pretty amazing that most hardware works "out of the box"...

tous
07-22-2011, 06:38
Given that Linux gets so little recognition from hardware manufacturers, it's pretty amazing that most hardware works "out of the box"...

There's a reason for that.
If I engineer and manufacture a device, them slimy marketing types insist on targeting the largest potential market. :fist:

Also, for such a device, I sell the drivers ... you buy them when you purchase the device. The Linux community is all about give it to us free or ship us your source code and we'll make a driver for it. :upeyes: