Free* Evolution Books [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Free* Evolution Books

ArtificialGrape
07-17-2011, 02:22
"Free*" free, but with strings attached.

I will purchase 1 each of the following 3 books

The Annotated Origin: A Facsimile of the First Edition of On the Origin of Species (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674032810)
Why Evolution is True (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNJWJU)
Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0231139624)

and send a copy to any of the regulars who is an evolution denier or skeptic (while supplies last) provided that they agree with the following conditions:

provide a shipping address (obviously, right)
agree to have your Glock Talk username shared on the thread as a selected recipient
within 4 weeks of receiving the book, you will provide a review and participate in a discussion
when through with the book either pay it forward to somebody else accepting the same conditions, or return it to me

Feel free to PM me or reply to the thread if you have any questions, or you're interested in one of the books.

-ArtificialGrape

Eric SF
07-17-2011, 03:02
Great idea! But why would any skeptic let something as insignificant as facts get in the way of their world view? My experience is they simply reject anything that doesn't confirm their preconceived ideas and accept whatever tripe supports them.

ksg0245
07-17-2011, 07:58
Great idea! But why would any skeptic let something as insignificant as facts get in the way of their world view? My experience is they simply reject anything that doesn't confirm their preconceived ideas and accept whatever tripe supports them.

A skeptic doesn't reject facts; a skeptic rejects unsupported assertions.

Eric SF
07-17-2011, 09:05
A skeptic doesn't reject facts; a skeptic rejects unsupported assertions.

Evolution skeptics reject the facts. The same science that brought us the atom bomb and the iPhone proves the age of the earth and dates fossils (an example to refute the young-earth Creationists). Evolution is a fact; the mechanism of how organisms evolve is what scientists study.

BradD
07-17-2011, 10:39
Eric, if you don't mind, please define "fact" as you used it in your last post.

BradD
07-17-2011, 10:41
AG, the evangelatheist!!

steveksux
07-17-2011, 10:55
A skeptic doesn't reject facts; a skeptic rejects unsupported assertions.That's cause their not skeptics, they are deniers.

Randy

ArtificialGrape
07-17-2011, 11:17
That's cause their not skeptics, they are deniers.

Randy

Largely true, given the volume of evidence. I actually started with that term, and changed it because I think there are still some people that honestly don't know what the theory includes, and I didn't want to exclude that group.tHough we certainly have our deniers as well.

I will update the original post to include skeptics and deniers.

Kingarthurhk
07-17-2011, 11:24
I assume these are tax deductable as part of your religion?:supergrin:

steveksux
07-17-2011, 11:27
I assume these are tax deductable as part of your religion?:supergrin:Touche.... Good one.. :supergrin:

You can't just be a follower to get the tax deduction...

But still, funny...

Randy

ArtificialGrape
07-17-2011, 11:47
AG, the evangelatheist!!
When does offering information cross the line to evangelizing?

Is every instructor an evangelist? Every author an evangelist? My offer is quite meager by comparison and just out there for anybody to take it or leave it.

BradD
07-17-2011, 11:52
You're offering with a specific agenda in mind, and that's to convert people to your viewpoint. That's fine with me, but it seems similar enough to evangelism to make the name valid LOL.

ArtificialGrape
07-17-2011, 12:03
You're offering with a specific agenda in mind, and that's to convert people to your viewpoint. That's fine with me, but it seems similar enough to evangelism to make the name valid LOL.
So must acceptance of evolution lead to atheism?

Maybe an antievolutionignorancevangelist?

BradD
07-17-2011, 13:10
I doubt it, but the name could be catchy.

If I start a thread offering a free book on mechanical vibrations, that would not suggest an underlying intention. If I start a thread offering a study Bible or one of Strobel's books, then all of you guys will know what I'm trying to do--evangelize!

achysklic
07-17-2011, 13:15
Ill take a copy and give it a fair unbaised review.

ArtificialGrape
07-18-2011, 12:39
Ill take a copy and give it a fair unbaised review.
Cool, I'll let you know when I have the books in hand.

apacheaws
07-20-2011, 21:30
I'm not an evolution denier or skeptic, but if you eventually find that you have extra copies of The Annotated Origin lying around I would be grateful to read it and return it to you. I've been lurking on here for a while, with an occasional post, and I notice that you suggest those titles regularly. My curiosity is piqued, and I would like to learn more of what there is to know on the subject. My local library has copies of the other two, but not The Annotated Origin; only the original by Charles Darwin.

I realize I don't exactly fit the requirements you listed in that I am an atheist, but I figure it's worth asking anyways. For what it's worth, I wouldn't mind participating in a conversation about it, although I've found that my opinion on all things in RI tends to align with yours pretty well, only less fluent.

ArtificialGrape
07-20-2011, 23:05
achysklic,
Which of the 3 books would you like?

The Annotated Origin: A Facsimile of the First Edition of On the Origin of Species (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0674032810) -- as the title says, this is Darwin's 1st edition well annotated in the margins by a modern biologist. The annotations provide updates to what is now known, areas where Darwin didn't know or was wrong, etc.
Why Evolution is True (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNJWJU) -- this is my current "if you're only going to read 1 book" recommendation that provides a very nice overview of modern evolutionary theory.
Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0231139624) -- this book, as the title suggests, has an emphasis on the fossil record, but also gives background on geology, cell biology, etc. It is an interesting read, but reads a little more like a textbook, and takes the longest to read.

So that there is no surprise, the authors of the 2nd and 3rd books (Coyne and Prothero) do not hesitate to point out areas where Creationism is unable to provide a good explanation.

PM me with your shipping details, I should be able to get this to the post office on Friday.

ArtificialGrape
07-20-2011, 23:07
apacheaws,
I'll see what we can work out after achysklic makes his selection.

achysklic
07-21-2011, 02:50
AG I would like Why Evolution is True (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZNJWJU)

Ramjet38
07-21-2011, 17:49
I think you should donate them to a Holiday Inn Express to put in a nightstand alongside the Bible. More choices for everyone, and also fair and balanced.

Ogreon
07-21-2011, 23:39
Free books! Lawd I'm fair to swoonin'. "God loves you when you read." (Billy Joe Shaver said it was "dance" but he was wrong.)

If you keep this up you'll have to upgrade to OrganicGrape.

ArtificialGrape
07-22-2011, 16:36
achskylic and apacheaws your books are now under the care of the USPS.

BradD "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters" is still available for the asking. :cool:

BradD
07-22-2011, 17:39
Thanks. Reading queue is full for months, though! I've been meaning to ask if any of you guys have read Donald Johnson's Probability's Nature and Nature's Probability. I'm slowly working through it now.

ArtificialGrape
07-22-2011, 18:04
Thanks. Reading queue is full for months, though! I've been meaning to ask if any of you guys have read Donald Johnson's Probability's Nature and Nature's Probability. I'm slowly working through it now.

I have not come across that one.

-ArtificialGrape

Oh, I coined a new term -- altru-athe-istic. :)

BradD
07-22-2011, 18:31
It's an ID book, not creationist FWIW. Lots of results of probability calculations showing that various naturalist proposed processes have such slim probability as to be deemed impossible in the proposed timeframes.

I admit to not knowing enough about the particular problems to critique the assertions. I'm working on it, but my education is in engineering, so I'm at a disadvantage. I do know enough math and probability to have a feel for how combination and permutation problems blow up. It doesn't take much to get into probabilities that look like 10^-100, not 10^-6 or -9.

According to the book, Johnson has two PhDs from real universities, in relevant fields, and became an ID proponent afterward FWIW.

Might be worth a read for some of you guys who are oriented toward science and math.

It's cheap on Amazon, so NO, I'm not sending a copy!! :rofl: