Class time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Class time

Fatboy1450
07-17-2011, 06:53
I have handguns, pistols and revolvers in many calibers. Shotguns, 12 to 20 gauge and lots of rimfires but I’ve never owned a center fire rifle. I’ve come to that point in life that I have decided that I want a centerfire rife. I’ll leave the “need” vs “want” debate for another time.
I think I want an AR. I was looking at a buddies DPMS and another friends Hi-Standard, both seem to be good starter ARs. Here’s the question, in the back of the DPMS manual there is a paragraph about breaking the gun in and it says to take a shot and then run a patch through the barrel and to do this for (I forgot the exact number) for the first 100 to 150 rounds. I then went to the Hi-Standard manual and there is no mention of this procedure.

boomhower
07-17-2011, 07:32
For a normal quality chrome lined barrel there is not need for any kind of break in procedure, just shoot it.

For a stainless steel barrel I believe there are break in methods but I have never owned so can't help you with those.

It just depends on what you get, the vast majority are chrome lined barrels so you don't have to worry about it.

For a starter rifle you can do better than what you were looking at. What kind of budget do you have? What kind of shooting are you looking to do?

zhix
07-17-2011, 07:34
I have usually heard of such procedures only when "breaking in" a "match- grade" barrel. I have never owned a DPMS or Hi-Standard.
I have owned and used Bushmaster, Colt, S&W M&P, Stag, and the only time I remember seeing something similar in the manual was with an Armalite, but I don't know if it was refering to all models or only ones with certain barrels.

Fatboy1450
07-17-2011, 07:36
I would like to keep it under $1000. What are the flaws or weakness of the two models that my buddies have?

JBnTX
07-17-2011, 08:04
I would like to keep it under $1000. What are the flaws or weakness of the two models that my buddies have?

It depends on how often you're going to shoot a DPMS or Hi Standard rifle.
(Personally I'd rather throw rocks at the target than shoot a Hi Standard.)

For a weekend plinker those two brands are fine, but if you intend to fire
more than about 50 rounds a month I'd get a higher quality AR like a Colt or
BCM.

Also: AR-15 Barrel break-in is a myth and total unnecessary. Some manufacturers
put that in their manuals as a safety precaution and to cover their ass warranty wise.

boomhower
07-17-2011, 09:33

Mainly quality of parts and attention to detail. For $1,000 rifle you can't get better than a Colt SP6920 from Buds. Top quality in every respect.

WayaX
07-17-2011, 13:48
Mainly quality of parts and attention to detail. For $1,000 rifle you can't get better than a Colt SP6920 from Buds. Top quality in every respect.

This.

I don't believe in "starter rifles" in the sense that you should start with cheap. If you're going to do something, do it right (this is where my disgust for lower tier AR companies comes from). You can get a great gun, no frills (that'd be what I call "starter"), for around $1000 (BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense).

For some reason, when people talk about AR-15's, they seem to OK the use of substandard practices, parts, and build quality. They justify it with things like "entry" or "starter" or "you're a civilian". Having a well built rifle does not require you to be (or mean you are) "spec ops". Would you buy a car where the corners were cut with the justification of "you're not a race car driver" or it's a "starter" car.

On the other hand, many people go too much into their first rifle by buying rails, lights, slings, vfgs, etc. If this is your first AR, get a plain rifle, but well built, rifle. Buy magazines and ammo, then go from there. Good instruction also helps (a lot). You'll quickly figure out what accessories you need, what you don't, and what to laugh at. Don't think that just because someone makes a product for your gun, that it benefits you to own it.

surf
07-17-2011, 15:41
I too believe in buying high quality tools and this concept applies to rifles especially at the current pricing in relationship to lower quality rifles. Speaking from personal experience I had a nightmare with a couple of DPMS SASS rifles and dealing with them direct in customer service was horrible. But I am only 1 sample.

As for break in chrome lined or stainless it is functionally BS. If it makes you feel better by all means.

Fatboy1450
07-17-2011, 16:37
Wayax and Surf, thanks for your replies. I didn't make myself very clear in my statement about starter gun. I agree with both of you, a good foundation with no frills it more in what I meant. A good basic gun, no special rails, lights, tri-pods, etc. Need to work on my writing skills as well. Going out to the range with guys that had two different guns at least allowed me to actually shoot them vs just foundling them in the store. I don't want to insult these guys but not sure what I should be looking for as to poor quality in those two makes.

bmoore
07-17-2011, 19:24
Wayax and Surf, thanks for your replies. I didn't make myself very clear in my statement about starter gun. I agree with both of you, a good foundation with no frills it more in what I meant. A good basic gun, no special rails, lights, tri-pods, etc. Need to work on my writing skills as well. Going out to the range with guys that had two different guns at least allowed me to actually shoot them vs just foundling them in the store. I don't want to insult these guys but not sure what I should be looking for as to poor quality in those two makes.

People have given you good advice. Palmetto state armory has some pretty great deals on quality uppers, lowers, parts and everything in between. Smith M&P15's are great rifles as well. Only time will tell how my DPMS A2 upper holds up but it seems to be well built and has eaten everything I have fed it. People poo poo DPMS a lot but I like mine a lot for recreational shooting. I have a Smith M&P15, Palmetto state armory dissipator and a 20" DPMS A2 rifle. I run them wet and keep them clean.

PlasticGuy
07-17-2011, 20:22
If you're plinking with it, and just shooting a few hundred rounds per year, it doesn't matter. Buy a DPMS. If you want a good quality rifle for heavier use and/or defense, your $1000 budget can get you a Colt. That would be well worth the extra few hundred dollars to me. It would get you a more durable bolt, more durable trigger group, and chrome lined barrel, as well as generally better fit and finish and properly staked parts that won't vibrate loose.