Brightest night site [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brightest night site

Dogman 10x
07-17-2011, 08:11
Is there a night site for the glock that is brighter then the rest? The truglo tfo's are out. They are not holding up!...:faint:

barstoolguru
07-17-2011, 09:19
Meprolight Night Sights are what I am looking at. They seem to be the brightest but not sure if I want to spring an extra $50 on adjustable sights.... truglo seem to be a bit big for a handgun

Ridder
07-17-2011, 09:44
I have the Meprolight TruDot Adjustable NS on my Glock.....

The brightest NS I have ever had!
(also my first.......)

I like them a lot but some people think they are too big....

http://home.caiway.nl/~ridder/images/G34Gen4_1.jpg

barstoolguru
07-17-2011, 09:48
the front site is huge........ are all the mepro's like that. they didn't look that big in the pic's on the web site

AK74play
07-17-2011, 09:57
the front site is huge........ are all the mepro's like that. they didn't look that big in the pic's on the web site

No there not all that big. He has an adjustable target set. Mepro's are the brightest night sites on the market and they make a standard version and a lo profile version. Check the pics on Glock,eister or LWD's websites.

Ridder
07-17-2011, 10:01
I don't know about the other Mepro's.....maybe the adjustable has a bit higher rear sight...because it needs some extra parts to make it adjustable.....and then the front sight has to be higher also....

On the 34 it's not bad....it's not a small gun, but it would look funny on a 26

barstoolguru
07-17-2011, 10:42
also what is the +0/6.5 for ?

Meprolight Night Sights GRN +0/6.5 for Glock

tahco gunworks
07-17-2011, 10:52
6.5 is the stock Glock height. +0 means no change.

My god, that front site on your 34 is bigger than the keel on my 30 foot sail boat!

Ridder
07-17-2011, 11:53
It's not so bad IRL.....believe me.

BTW: I don't want to be a smart ass and my knowledge of the English language is very limited....but it's a web site and a night sight.....:whistling:

Made Man
07-17-2011, 12:04
I love my low profile Mepros. Very bright.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/Glockster_1/DSCN4325.jpg?t=1310925683

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/Glockster_1/DSCN4273.jpg?t=1310925755

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/Glockster_1/DSCN4224.jpg?t=1310925842

statistic6
07-17-2011, 17:21
Tru Dot's are nice, I had them back when I had a 3rd Gen 27. I switched over to Trijicons on both my 19 and 26 as well as my Sig p229. Can't go wrong with the Trijicons. Mine are in 3-dot green

Philippe
07-17-2011, 17:37
Tru Glo TFO's are the brightest out of any of them, but they lack quality. The Mepro's are tops in my book, not as bright as the Tru Glo's but way better quality. I no longer use night sights, i carry a good flashlight and just keep the factory sites on. In most cases i dont think you'd have to worry about seeing the sites anywho if it came down to it...

Melissa5
07-17-2011, 17:42
My vote goes to TruGlo TFOs.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6827/dscn1919va.jpg

RYT 2BER
07-17-2011, 17:46
Is there a night site for the glock that is brighter then the rest? The truglo tfo's are out. They are not holding up!...:faint:

I had truglo tfo's on my g23. I quickly dumped them for mepros.

I've posted my lack of liking tfo's many times on this site. Most disagree with me but coming from someone who dumped tfo's and went with mepros, mepros are light years ahead in quality. Again jmo.

Made Man
07-23-2011, 07:53
Tru Dot's are nice, I had them back when I had a 3rd Gen 27. I switched over to Trijicons on both my 19 and 26 as well as my Sig p229. Can't go wrong with the Trijicons. Mine are in 3-dot green

My Meps are orange rear/green front.

skyboss_4evr
07-23-2011, 12:32
BTW: I don't want to be a smart ass and my knowledge of the English language is very limited....but it's a web site and a night sight.....:whistling:

:thumbsup:

statistic6
07-23-2011, 21:31
Trijicon...Why is this even up for debate?

streakpi
07-23-2011, 21:38
I have the Truglo TFOs on all my Glocks...why use anything else?

G19ftw
07-23-2011, 22:27
Meprolight makes the brightest...or so they advertise. I love mine though.

Have Trijicons on the G39, Mepros on my G38 and on 2 Sigs. I like the Meprolights a lot more.

blueberry1177
07-23-2011, 22:41
Trijicon is what I roll with. Guaranteed for ten years

G19ftw
07-23-2011, 22:46
Trijicon is what I roll with. Guaranteed for ten years

Mepros are too.

Bushflyr
07-23-2011, 22:47
A search turned up THIS THREAD (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1243080) which has a good little run down.

My information concurs with Sarge's...

Israeli-made Meprolights use tritium lamps made by the OEM. The inner casing of the Meprolight sights is coated in "white" to increase reflectivity and brightness. :israelflag:

Trijicon imports their tritium lamps, and indeed supplies them to other manufacturers under different brand names.

I was told all this by a Meprolight rep, from the OEM in Israel.

As Sarge points out, both are excellent products! :thumbsup:

Here again, is my night sight review...

My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and usually have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

AWGD8
07-23-2011, 23:06
[QUOTE=Made Man;17643594]I love my low profile Mepros. Very bright.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m552/Glockster_1/DSCN4273.jpg?t=1310925755

I`m just wondering about this low profile Mepro sight. It says only fit Glock 26/27, but does the other subcompact Glock (G39) still apply? The slide width is the only difference. Still has stock 6.5 front / 0+ .

Javelin
07-23-2011, 23:40
Mepro nightsights are the brightest I have found. I have them on my G23 but they are now dimming after many years where the Trijicon seem to keep glowing the same amount since they were brand new.

So take it for what it's worth.

:)

CombatBarbi
07-23-2011, 23:47
does anyone make a glock style rear three bar night sight? I know glock came out with glow in the dark sights for the Gen4s but I haven't been able to find one yet...

WA Glocker
07-23-2011, 23:59
does anyone make a glock style rear three bar night sight? I know glock came out with glow in the dark sights for the Gen4s but I haven't been able to find one yet...

I had a set on a USP compact that was exactly like a glock's stock sights. I bought the gun with them and have since sold it but the previous owner said they were PT night sights in box/bar format. The only problem I had with them was that they were not a perfectly aligned box, maybe about 87-93* on the corners; so just a bit off, but enough to bother me haha.

ETA: As far as brightest night sights, mepros and trijicons are really similar. The reason people want to say one is brighter than the other is appearance. From owning both this is what I can tell you, they are about equal in brightness but the dots have different looks:

Trijicon - very crisp and sharp dots, clearly defined circles. Look smaller at night.

Mepros - less defined and crisp but still as bright. Look bigger to the eye at night

G19ftw
07-24-2011, 00:25
Mepro nightsights are the brightest I have found. I have them on my G23 but they are now dimming after many years where the Trijicon seem to keep glowing the same amount since they were brand new.

So take it for what it's worth.

:)

Don't forget Mepro(Kimber) will switch them out for you for free if they dim before 12 years.

kshutt
07-24-2011, 08:32

Meps are really bright and I had them on my G30 and G21 for many years. I had Trijicons installed on my new G19, however, before I ever fired it. I can tell you this: The sight picture is more precise for me with Trijicon sights. Specifically, the front sight is more narrow on the Trijicons, allowing more precise alignment on the target.

I sent both of my slides back to Glock (G30/G21) a few months ago and had Trijicons installed for either $72 or $78/slide... I don't remember, and don't want to fetch my receipt at the moment. :supergrin: Anyway, Glock returned my slides back to me within 2 weeks with my new sights installed! You can't beat the price, and you can't beat Trijicon sights! (If you want Glock to install Meps, they're even less expensive at either $42 or $47/slide... hard deal to beat for new night sights!)

dregotglock
07-24-2011, 09:12
I personally like XS Bigdot sites that I have on my American Classic Commander

On my EDC G30 I have Trijicons that were installed before purchase. Once these dim I am going to be getting XS BD for my G30.

Javelin
07-24-2011, 09:57
Don't forget Mepro(Kimber) will switch them out for you for free if they dim before 12 years.

Pretty much true.

I called them and they wanted proof of purchase (where the hell that is after these years who knows) and a couple years back when I called they told me that they have some kind of year/glow chart that they will reimburse you a % of the cost to replace.

Overall it's like anything in this business. Other than a few shiny spots such as Glock or Noveske no BS warranty specifics the buyer gets what he gets and don't expect too much in return as far as freebies.

From now on I will stick to Trijicon personally.

:wavey:

kshutt
07-24-2011, 13:17
Pretty much true.

I called them and they wanted proof of purchase (where the hell that is after these years who knows) and a couple years back when I called they told me that they have some kind of year/glow chart that they will reimburse you a % of the cost to replace.

Overall it's like anything in this business. Other than a few shiny spots such as Glock or Noveske no BS warranty specifics the buyer gets what he gets and don't expect too much in return as far as freebies.

From now on I will stick to Trijicon personally.

:wavey:

Yeah, this is another reason to stick with Trijicon. When I questioned them over the phone about their warranty I was much more impressed with them than the Kimber/Mep bunch.