Kings Island OH - Metal detectors? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kings Island OH - Metal detectors?

dherloc
07-17-2011, 13:31
Does anyone know if they have metal detectors at Kings Island OH?

I am planning on being up there in August.

Still researching the "signage" also. I know in FL the signs to not matter. I am finding references to signs, but still have not found if they carry any actual weight behind them.

Anyone?

dherloc
07-17-2011, 13:46
Nevermind...think I found the answer.

(3) (a) Except as provided in division (C)(3)(b) of this section, the owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21) of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21) of the Revised Code and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation.

AngryPanda
07-17-2011, 14:02
They have metal detectors. At least they did 2 years ago.

dherloc
07-17-2011, 14:20
Its funny how Disney still does not, but all the other theme parks have gone that route.

Oh well, suppose I will be without for a while so that my son can enjoy the roller coasters.

David Armstrong
07-17-2011, 15:16
Does anyone know if they have metal detectors at Kings Island OH?

Still researching the "signage" also. I know in FL the signs to not matter. I am finding references to signs, but still have not found if they carry any actual weight behind them.

Anyone?
Why would it matter. The owner of the property has indicated that he expects certain behaviors of folks entering his property. Why would you knowingly and intentionally violate those expectations?

DaneA
07-17-2011, 16:09
I'm more curious of why you would drive 1000 miles to go to Kings Island...

chris in va
07-17-2011, 16:59
[QUOTE] The owner of the property has indicated that he expects certain behaviors of folks entering his property. Why would you knowingly and intentionally violate those expectations?

Yeah, God forbid you'd want to go have dinner with the family while concealed carrying. VA only recently got rid of the ban that was in place for many years.

DaneA
07-17-2011, 17:12
The owner of the property has indicated that he expects certain behaviors of folks entering his property. Why would you knowingly and intentionally violate those expectations?

Yeah, God forbid you'd want to go have dinner with the family while concealed carrying. VA only recently got rid of the ban that was in place for many years.

You appreciate the privileges you have as a property owner? Then why not respect the privileges of other property owners.

It isn't about being able to carry, it's about rights and privileges of property owners and respecting their wishes as you would like folks to respect yours.

David Armstrong
07-17-2011, 17:45
[
Why should what I want be more important than what the actual owner of the business and who is doing all the work to provide me a service wants? If someone visits your house should they get to decide how your house should be run??

dherloc
07-17-2011, 20:58
Why would it matter. The owner of the property has indicated that he expects certain behaviors of folks entering his property. Why would you knowingly and intentionally violate those expectations?

If his signs carry the legal weight of the law in OH (which they seem to do), then I will not be carrying. If they don't (as in Florida) then obviously my legislature thinks my right to carry trumps his right to feel protected from me by his signs.

dherloc
07-17-2011, 21:01
I'm more curious of why you would drive 1000 miles to go to Kings Island...

Going to be in Indiana for a week with the inlaws. KI has a LOT of roller coasters that are much better than the ones we have in the Disney area...although we are getting better down here.

My kid can now ride on about half of the good ones at KI including The Beast.

That is why I am going...in a few years...it will probably be Cedar Point, but since that doubles the drive, I will wait until he can ride a few of the better ones there.

AZson
07-17-2011, 21:21
I personally believe, if a businesses owner does not want his customers carrying firearms then it is his responsibility to protect his patrons inside and outside his business. That includes metal detectors at the door with a security guard in and outside. If he can not then, he should not post signs. If I was robbed outside his place or in, I would sue him or her.

cowboy1964
07-17-2011, 21:38
I personally believe, if a businesses owner does not want his customers carrying firearms then it is his responsibility to protect his patrons inside and outside his business. That includes metal detectors at the door with a security guard in and outside. If he can not then, he should not post signs. If I was robbed outside his place or in, I would sue him or her.

So... to use your logic, if the business owner DOES allow firearms and you're in there and you fail to protect ME, I can sue YOU?

If you don't like signed businesses DON'T GO THERE.

dnuggett
07-17-2011, 22:07

:thumbsup:

NkySpike
07-17-2011, 22:23
I'm 40 min away from Kings Islands, But I haven't been there in about 10yrs.

You did hear about the sexual assault on 7yr old boy at KI, back on Jun 9th. They still haven't caught the guy. :steamed:

Just in case you haven't...

http://www.onenewspage.us/video/20110609/454024/Boy-Sexually-Assaulted-At-Kings-Island.htm

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/police-say-boy-was-sexually-assaulted-at-kings-island-1180365.html

By no means am I trying to scare you and your family from having a great time, I'm sure you will...

Last time I went with a group of friend we split up in about three groups (age groups) and used Motorola 2-way radio to keep in contact with each other... A lot faster then dialing and hoping the other person will hear their own phone ring in a crowd.

Have fun and take care... :wavey:

dherloc
07-18-2011, 06:50
Nky,

Thanks for the update. Small group for us...just my 6 year old and my 21 year old nephew. The 6 year old won't be out of our sight. Its been at least 15 years since I have been there. Would have been around 1995/6 timeframe.

I just remember they have great roller coasters and my son is tall enough to do about half of the good ones. We don't have many great ones down here...Busch Gardens is coming along now, and some of the non-Magic Kingdom parks are getting decent ones, but the best ones are still in KI or even better yet, Cedar Point. CP is on my list when he turns 54" tall. Will be a road trip for him and dad!

sancho13
07-18-2011, 07:07
Kings Island is just OK...I would drive the extra few hours to Cedar Point. I took my 7 year old and he is 54" and was able to get on all the rides.
As far as carring....You need to make sure you have a hell of a CCW rig to hold that gun on you. I lost my pocket knife on a ride and am glad know one took it to the face behind me.

Bill Lumberg
07-18-2011, 08:05
If they ask folks not to carry there, don't carry there. If they do not have a policy against permit holders carrying weapons, rock on. Good luck. Does anyone know if they have metal detectors at Kings Island OH?

Anyone?

dherloc
07-18-2011, 08:24
Wish I could do CP but won't be able to commit to the amount of time I would need to ride everything there plus the drive time. I just got a text from my wife who is having him measured at the pediatricians and he is 47" tall which means 48" with shoes on.

Like I said earlier...will be taking a trip to CP exclusively when he gets tall enough. I sure hope he is 54" and 7 years old. Not sure he is going to be that height at that age.

dherloc
07-18-2011, 08:25
I will carry where the LAW says I can carry. I will not carry where the LAW does not allow it.

Last reply on that matter.

dherloc
07-18-2011, 08:27
Kings Island is just OK...I would drive the extra few hours to Cedar Point. I took my 7 year old and he is 54" and was able to get on all the rides.
As far as carring....You need to make sure you have a hell of a CCW rig to hold that gun on you. I lost my pocket knife on a ride and am glad know one took it to the face behind me.

CP has a lot more coasters than KI, but it will take almost 7 hours to get there vice 3 so will have to settle for 2nd best. Still, my son loves coasters, and this park will probably overwhelm him at his age, even though you and I know there are better parks.

Am really looking forward to this trip!

AZson
07-18-2011, 09:04
So... to use your logic, if the business owner DOES allow firearms and you're in there and you fail to protect ME, I can sue YOU?

No, because I'm not telling you you can not defend yourself, which is what they are doing when they ban firearms.
Applebees bans them, if I get mugged in their parking lot, they are responsible for leaving me defenseless because our state laws allow me to carry in their restaurant, it is their choice to make me defenseless in their restaurant and the area between it and my car. So it is their fault and yes, Applebees use to be my favorite restaurant, I took my business elsewhere.

jeff painter
07-18-2011, 09:15
KI has detectors, but I don't think they are even plugged in. They have a guard that will wand you if he feels the need. Very lax security especially if you have a stroller. I know they don't permit you to carry, but I haven't seen any signs. It would be tough to ride some of the rides even with a pocket 380. I don't even carry keys or a wallet when I go there, just some cash and my ID in a zippered pocket. Maybe a phone in a zip lock bag so it doesn't get wet.

David Armstrong
07-18-2011, 09:57
If his signs carry the legal weight of the law in OH (which they seem to do), then I will not be carrying. If they don't (as in Florida) then obviously my legislature thinks my right to carry trumps his right to feel protected from me by his signs.
How sad that someone thinks good manners are defined by law.

David Armstrong
07-18-2011, 10:00

You might try to sue, but the courts are pretty clear on this....you won't win. You voluntarily go to the business, you are not forced. Hard to sue somebody for you voluntarily agreeing to accept reasonable risks of doing what you voluntarily agree to do.
No, because I'm not telling you you can not defend yourself, which is what they are doing when they ban firearms.
No. What they are saying is that you cannot carry a firearm. You may still defend yourself in a number of ways.

polizei1
07-18-2011, 10:25
Yes KI's has metal detectors, and no you cannot carry a knife or firearm in the park. They also have security staff at the detectors. In Ohio, if a sign is posted, you cannot carry there. They have a sign in the park pamphlet, in which is clearly stated that these items are not allowed in the park. Even with my holsters (CBSTD and VMII), I wouldn't want to carry. It would be uncomfortable on the rides and you couldn't do any of the water rides, or at least I wouldn't.

RWBlue
07-18-2011, 12:09

Very interesting.
FL also has a castle law, correct?

So if you enter his place armed, against his signage, he shoots you because he feels threatened by your presence with a gun......

Hmm, seems like a problem.

Bill Lumberg
07-18-2011, 14:04
Armstrong and Polizei FTW.

Gregoire
07-18-2011, 15:13
Kings Island serves alcohol, by the way. That may cause a problem

dherloc
08-05-2011, 14:27
FYI

KI has metal detectors all in a row at the entrance...none of them appeared to be working and the attendants did not appear to even be watching them if they were. They didn't even bother to check the bag I was carrying with snacks in it - they just waved me through. I think they were profiling.

First no guns sign I saw was AFTER I entered the park...small print on the map they hand out.

firefighter4215
08-05-2011, 21:05
I was there last fall. I got wanded, and they found my pocket knife (well, it's a S&W S.W.A.T. knife, but still). I wasn't trying to hide it. I honestly didn't even think it was a problem, as I did leave the gun in the car to begin with. They volunteered to put it in a plastic bag and have it in their security headquarters for my retrieval upon exit. It was either that or walk allllllllllllllllll the way back to the car. It was still there when I left too. That night they were wanding EVERYONE. It was back during their big halloween thing. Either way, I don't think I'd want to have a firearm on me while riding those coasters. Not comfortable, and probably not all that safe either. The less you have in your pockets the better off you'll be.

Bill Lumberg
08-07-2011, 08:57
It's pretty simple. If it's posted, don't carry there. Property owners have a right to restrict the behavior of folks visiting their property. You do not have a right to carry on private property against the owners wishes. If, in fact, the property is posted in any way, or if you see on their website that they do not allow permittee carry, leave it at home, leave it locked up in your car in a vault or on a cable, or just patronize another establishment. Does anyone know if they have metal detectors at Kings Island OH?

Anyone?

Hef
08-07-2011, 10:21

That makes no sense at all. That is one of the most poorly constructed counterarguments I have read in the past few years. You should delete that post, try again, and hope people forget you said that.

Gary1911A1
08-07-2011, 16:15
I'm glad this info was posted as I was thinking of going to King's Island with some friends, but now they can just go by themselves.

Toorop
08-08-2011, 08:27
Its funny how Disney still does not, but all the other theme parks have gone that route.

Oh well, suppose I will be without for a while so that my son can enjoy the roller coasters.

Just explain to your son why you won't be going. Disarming could get you killed and put your family's lives at risk.

Toorop
08-08-2011, 08:29

Excellent point. The rights of the property owners are always paramount.

Toorop
08-08-2011, 08:41
Applebees bans them, if I get mugged in their parking lot, they are responsible for leaving me defenseless because our state laws allow me to carry in their restaurant, it is their choice to make me defenseless in their restaurant and the area between it and my car. So it is their fault and yes, Applebees use to be my favorite restaurant, I took my business elsewhere.

Can you cite the state law that says you have to eat at Applebees's? I was under the impression you are not being forced to eat there. You are free to eat somewhere else is how I remember it. And if you dislike their policies you have the freedom to go somewhere else.

tel0004
08-08-2011, 17:17
I know I'm late to this thread, but I'll respond.

I live about 10 minutes from Kings Island, and worked there for 4 years (but I quit 6 years ago, so I know things have changed.

They installed the metal detectors around 2002. For a few years, everybody went through them. I wasn't in security, but I would often hear calls on the radio for help in metal detection if it was backed up, I even worked metal detection a few times.

Now a days, the detectors are almost never turned on. I think there is a 99% chance you will walk right though. Although I haven't been in many years, I do know a few current Kings Island employee, one of which is in security.

Bill Lumberg
08-14-2011, 07:29
They should be. Excellent point. The rights of the property owners are always paramount.

Toorop
08-14-2011, 14:39
They should be.

Sadly many do not.

Toorop
08-14-2011, 14:39
For everyones information I went and checked the Kings Island webpage for their policies on weapons and they are prohibited.

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/public/visit/trip_tips.cfm