Accurate 9mm FMJ for 100 yards shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Accurate 9mm FMJ for 100 yards shooting

barnetmill
07-17-2011, 22:00
I have a glock that is setup with a miniature red dot sight(RMR). Standard cheapo practice ammo is not consistent enough to do well at longer ranges. Surprisingly russian steel case does better than some of the cheapo american fmj.
I have decided to look at 9mmx19 FMJ 124 grain bullets loaded to nato specifications. Has any one here done any accuracy shooting with any of the common foreign 9 mm nato loading that are available in bulk shipments?

By the way please do not tell me that Glock pistols are not effective at 100 yards. And I do practice point shooting and related techniques for close range where 95% of all combat will occur. I am simply trying to find out information about accurate 9mm ammunition.

collim1
07-18-2011, 17:15
I practice shooting all my handguns at 100yds, so you are not alone. It is definitely not ideal, but I am a patrol officer and 99% of the time my pistol is my primary weapon.

It is good to know that I can get hits at 50+ yds if needed. I dont shoot a Glock anymore so I can't help you there. Remington UMC, although insane expensive nowadays, has always been very accurate at ranges of 25+ yds.

9 and 10 mm Fan
07-18-2011, 18:11
I am not sure what inexpensive ammo is good at 100 yards, but my hand loads using Hornady 124 grain XTP/HAP/flat points will put 20 straight rounds into a 6 inch circle at that distance using a Beretta carbine. I suggest you see who is loading with their bullets. Federal or another big US supplier use to offer their flat point in a +P load

Good luck

9 and 10 mm Fan
07-18-2011, 18:19
You might see if you can get a good price on Hornady Steel. Much lower velocity than I load to, but an accurate load from what I have been told.

barnetmill
07-18-2011, 22:17
Thanks Collim1 and 9&10 mm fan for the useful information. I have not found the magic economical load, but you guys have helped out. I was not aware of 9 mm steel although I had heard of the 7.62x39 hornady steel. If I am forced to reload I do not want to go about +P.
By the way besides for SD I think a G19 with red dot sight would make a good trail and field gun for camping, hiking, and canoeing in the southern states where I live. Better than the traditional .22 kit gun for sure.