New 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New 1911

captdreifus
07-18-2011, 00:39
Well,

After several years of yearning for a 1911, I finally got one. I bought a Springer Loaded w/ NM prefix. The fit was substantially better than the identical "N" prefixed model that I compared it to. Also, the slide overhang was much smaller on the NM model.

I bought this to get familiar with the 1911 platform. This was the best I could afford at the moment, being a recent college grad. :embarassed:

After the first 500 rounds, the gun loosened up a bit. I could not believe how tight the slide was prior to the preliminary clean/lube/shoot. I'm rather a noob with 1911's and the slide was pretty darn tight to me. Now, it was not Baer, Nighthawk, etc. tight. Also, the bbl bushing was fairly tight as well (which I assume b/c of the new recoil spring). All is well after shooting the prelim fmj's and a few mags worth of carry ammo. I am now able to manipulate the bbl bushing much easier as well as the slide.

No malfunctions of any sort while shooting the first ~514 rds.

Pic:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6128/5949143157_1069106891.jpg

Now I feel the need to save up and buy more 1911's. I own several Glocks, a Beretta M9, and S&W revolvers. This 1911 by far feels the best in hands and while shooting. I've been shooting Glocks for about ~7 years.

I wished I would have gone with the 1911 a lot sooner. I can shoot it just as good as my Glocks after one range session. I can keep a fist size grouping at 21' out to 60' (20 yds). As I said, I hope I can grow more with this platform.

Hopefully I can keep conversation on the 1911 sub-forum now. I've learned a lot by just lurking here every so often. I'll have to post more now :wavey:

Best,
Captdreifus

Bowtie
07-18-2011, 00:59
I really like mine as well, It's has been 100% flawless. I put warren tactical rear sight on it, checkered the front strap at 20 lpi, put a S&A magwell on it, Ergo grips and dehorned it.

Forgot to mention the C&S Tactical II Trigger kit.

bac1023
07-18-2011, 01:13
Looks great

Congrats! :cool:

minderasr
07-18-2011, 03:55
She's a real beauty, congrats!

craig19
07-18-2011, 04:52
Very nice, congrats.

Fedor
07-18-2011, 05:12
Congrats. :cool:

lsbbigdog
07-18-2011, 05:12
Nice pick up...

Gunshine
07-18-2011, 05:31
Nice.

knedrgr
07-18-2011, 05:56
Congrats on coming over to the platform. Now you're screwed and so is your bank account. :rofl:

Mayhem like Me
07-18-2011, 06:02
Nice, my only reccomendation is to ditch the full length guide and get an Ed Brown GI guide and plug. I hate the springfield screw together rod, If I were to have one on my pistol I would Have Kimber style one piece.

Enjoy It I have a Loaded sitting on my hip with the above mentioned modification, EGW fitted bushing , and EGW ignition parts....Waiting to get the front strap golfballed and maybe a finish....and a magwell ..hmmm

71Commander
07-18-2011, 06:07
I wouldn't be too concerned about the comparison with the Baer, Nighthawk, etc. That is a fine weapon and will handle social work just as good.

As to the Glocks, I have fired a single solitary round out of a Glock in my lifetime. They're not for me. I've bought and sold over 100 1911's. Currently have 13. :wow:

okie
07-18-2011, 07:19
Awesome pistol my friend:thumbsup:

Hokie1911
07-18-2011, 07:29
Congrats on coming over to the platform. Now you're screwed and so is your bank account. :rofl:

^^^this^^^

Congrats on the new heater. :thumbsup:

Rinspeed
07-18-2011, 07:46
Looks great.

stopatrain
07-18-2011, 07:50
Nice!

fnfalman
07-18-2011, 08:57
On my Loaded model, I ditched the the Mickey Mouse full length guide rod for the regular stuff.

Noles26
07-18-2011, 09:54
Nice pistol. Congrats

glock2740
07-18-2011, 09:57
Congrats!

38 Super Fan
07-18-2011, 10:12
Congrats! :thumbsup:

iLift45's
07-18-2011, 10:27
Springfield Armory's are great!! The addiction will get worse.

CMG
07-18-2011, 11:01
That's a nice first 1911. Congrats.

ptmccain
07-18-2011, 11:04
Sweet, I have the same one

+1 on suggestion to ditch the FLGR

Hokie1911
07-18-2011, 11:06
Now I feel the need to save up and buy more 1911's. I own several Glocks, a Beretta M9, and S&W revolvers. This 1911 by far feels the best in hands and while shooting. I've been shooting Glocks for about ~7 years.

Not for long... :whistling:

up1911fan
07-18-2011, 11:09
Congrats, Springer's are really nice guns.

captdreifus
07-18-2011, 13:23
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you all for the warm welcome. Like I said, 1911’s are great shooters for sure. With more range time, I’ll probably feel more inclined to make future purchases than I do now. I’ve already made plans for future purchases.

In regards to changing out the FLGR, I ordered a Wilson recoil guide rod (GI) and a Wilson plug. I believe both are the “bullet proof” flavors in stainless. If I am not mistaken, I can use the factory SA recoil spring (16#’s?) with these new parts?

Furthermore, I have read that the Wilson plug is a “hair too long” in some builds. This is where my inquiries begin. What does that mean when the plug is “too long”? Obviously I am rather new with 1911’s and I am not comprehending how this could be a problem. If someone could please enlighten me on how the overall length of the plug could create issues, I would greatly appreciate it!

Upon further research, I have found VZ’s website. I am going to spend more range time with the Springer, but am looking for grips that are a little more “sticky”. I will post pictures when/if I do decide to upgrade the grips.

Other than the conversion from the FLGR to the GI setup, I believe my last mod with this particular Springer will be the grips.

Thanks all for all the input!

Capt

fnfalman
07-18-2011, 13:30
I don't know about the Wilson plug being too long. I ordered the Colt plug and GI guide rod. It popped right in.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you all for the warm welcome. Like I said, 1911’s are great shooters for sure. With more range time, I’ll probably feel more inclined to make future purchases than I do now. I’ve already made plans for future purchases.

In regards to changing out the FLGR, I ordered a Wilson recoil guide rod (GI) and a Wilson plug. I believe both are the “bullet proof” flavors in stainless. If I am not mistaken, I can use the factory SA recoil spring (16#’s?) with these new parts?

Furthermore, I have read that the Wilson plug is a “hair too long” in some builds. This is where my inquiries begin. What does that mean when the plug is “too long”? Obviously I am rather new with 1911’s and I am not comprehending how this could be a problem. If someone could please enlighten me on how the overall length of the plug could create issues, I would greatly appreciate it!

Upon further research, I have found VZ’s website. I am going to spend more range time with the Springer, but am looking for grips that are a little more “sticky”. I will post pictures when/if I do decide to upgrade the grips.

Other than the conversion from the FLGR to the GI setup, I believe my last mod with this particular Springer will be the grips.

Thanks all for all the input!

Capt

tarheeltrav
07-18-2011, 13:38
Very nice...my next will be a 1911...

skdmrklcy
07-18-2011, 13:48
When it is too long, you just need to sand it down a bit on the back end you can not see anyway.

I have heard the too long thing before when it came to the Springfield TRP. I never changed mine out before I sold it.

Also Yes you can use the spring you have now.

captdreifus
07-18-2011, 14:19
When it is too long, you just need to sand it down a bit on the back end you can not see anyway.

I have heard the too long thing before when it came to the Springfield TRP. I never changed mine out before I sold it.

Also Yes you can use the spring you have now.

How does it affect function when it is too long? What length should it be?

Thanks,
Capt

CMG
07-18-2011, 14:53
If it was long enough to reach the spring guide, the open end could get beat up under recoil, and/or restrict the slide's rearward travel enough to cause feeding issues.

If either occur, you can use a piece of sand-paper on a flat surface (a piece of glass works great), to evenly sand down the open end just a bit.

I've replaced all mine with Ed Brown parts.

captdreifus
07-18-2011, 15:45
If it was long enough to reach the spring guide, the open end could get beat up under recoil, and/or restrict the slide's rearward travel enough to cause feeding issues.

If either occur, you can use a piece of sand-paper on a flat surface (a piece of glass works great), to evenly sand down the open end just a bit.

I've replaced all mine with Ed Brown parts.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those symptoms.:cool: