Tip for Packing Out Your Food Waste [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Packing Out Your Food Waste

Leave A Tip
07-19-2011, 12:40
Youíre backpacking, and you just cooked a meal for you and three other people. Now itís time to clean up. While doing dishes you see there is food still in the pot you used to cook your scrumptious meal in, plus the dish water has food in it.

So what do you do? Donít just dump it into the woods for the animals to eat and risk getting sick off of your food. Strain the pots and dishwater, and put the left over food in a plastic bag to pack out (which if done properly there should be very little to pack out). But what to use for a strainer? A kitchen strainer from home is to bulky to pack on this kind of trip. Well, I would suggest a frisbee. Yes thatís right a frisbee. Just get a frisbee and pound some nail holes big enough for water to pass through but not the food particles, and put in a lot of holes. The frisbee is very lightweight, and very pack able solution to this problem. Besides when your done doing the dishes, you now have something to play with.

Using this tip makes it much easier to pack out all of the food waste you bring with you.

Read More Great Tips Here... (http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/tip-for-packing-out-your-food-waste/)

cyrsequipment
07-20-2011, 05:18
Youíre backpacking, and you just cooked a meal for you and three other people. Now itís time to clean up. While doing dishes you see there is food still in the pot you used to cook your scrumptious meal in, plus the dish water has food in it.

So what do you do? Donít just dump it into the woods for the animals to eat and risk getting sick off of your food. Strain the pots and dishwater, and put the left over food in a plastic bag to pack out (which if done properly there should be very little to pack out). But what to use for a strainer? A kitchen strainer from home is to bulky to pack on this kind of trip. Well, I would suggest a frisbee. Yes thatís right a frisbee. Just get a frisbee and pound some nail holes big enough for water to pass through but not the food particles, and put in a lot of holes. The frisbee is very lightweight, and very pack able solution to this problem. Besides when your done doing the dishes, you now have something to play with.

Using this tip makes it much easier to pack out all of the food waste you bring with you.

Read More Great Tips Here... (http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/tip-for-packing-out-your-food-waste/)

Except that now your frisbee whistles when you throw it, smells like old spaghetti sauce, and makes you look like a dolt...

sebecman
07-20-2011, 05:49
Wow.

:upeyes:

If I was worried about food waste affecting the animals I would use a 1 foot by 1 foot peice of window screen before I used a frisbee.....

sheesh

DoctaGlockta
07-20-2011, 06:25
Now this is getting ridiculous. Nails in a frisbee? Seriously? This is GTS&P material?

I am personally offended that someone would even think to ruin a perfectly good frisbee.

The nerve of some people.

BTW I have placed 'Leave the forum' I mean Leave a Tip on ignore but it seems that GT has given these guys some magical forum powers to evade this function :(

crimsonaudio
07-20-2011, 06:49
I mean, who doesn't camp without a frisbee?

Just wow.

kckndrgn
07-20-2011, 07:50
So animals dig out food scraps from my trash and don't get sick, but somehow eating leftovers from a backpacking trip will make them sick?

Geesh, i know this is Eric forum, but these "leave a tip" posts need to be somewhere else, they have NOTHING to do with S&P

DoctaGlockta
07-20-2011, 08:38
[/URL][URL="http://www.gifbin.com/981325"]http://www.gifbin.com/bin/2sw5sw995sw8yu.gif (http://www.gifbin.com/982698)

Bilbo Bagins
07-20-2011, 09:14
I'm confused. Animals getting sick is not what I'm worried about. This is what I'm worried about when dumping food in camp.

http://www.moshannonfalls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/blackbeargroup.jpg

Wash and dry everything. A don't see why you would need a strainer, just wash it with water and some camp soap, let it air dry on a rock or use a towel. Pack away excess food with your trash if you are hiking. I usually have two freezer bags with my food, that I store my trash. I just use the one freezer bags then double it up by putting it in the second bag. The food bag then goes in a Bear box if I'm in a shelter/camp area or it gets hung from a tree 100 yards away from where my tent is.

Frisbees is for car campers, and those camp sites have a place to throw your trash away .

I agree with kckndrgn, these "leave a tip" bot threads would be better in the Hunting,Fishing, Camping section of GT and not S&P.

Dexters
07-20-2011, 09:17
You’re backpacking, and you just cooked a meal for you and three other people. Now it’s time to clean up. While doing dishes you see there is food still in the pot you used to cook your scrumptious meal in, plus the dish water has food in it.

So what do you do? Don’t just dump it into the woods for the animals to eat and risk getting sick off of your food. Strain the pots and dishwater, and put the left over food in a plastic bag to pack out (which if done properly there should be very little to pack out). But what to use for a strainer? A kitchen strainer from home is to bulky to pack on this kind of trip. Well, I would suggest a frisbee. Yes that’s right a frisbee. Just get a frisbee and pound some nail holes big enough for water to pass through but not the food particles, and put in a lot of holes. The frisbee is very lightweight, and very pack able solution to this problem. Besides when your done doing the dishes, you now have something to play with.

It's OK to bury your ***** but not what the ***** started as?

Fisbee? So now you're carrying around a smelly frisbee in your backpack - a bear smells it and eats you!

So, here is my question: What does the bear do with the leftovers parts of you?

DoctaGlockta
07-20-2011, 09:23
It's OK to bury your ***** but what the ***** started as?

Fisbee? So now you're carrying around a smelly frisbee in your backpack - a bear smells it and eats you!

If the bear reads GTS&P and follows 'Leave a Tip' he can strain you through the frisbee left behind in your backpack.

crimsonaudio
07-20-2011, 09:37
If the bear reads GTS&P and follows 'Leave a Tip' he can strain you through the frisbee left behind in your backpack.
:rofl:

Bilbo Bagins
07-20-2011, 09:43
It's OK to bury your ***** but what the ***** started as?

MMMMMMmmmm He taste good, now I hope he has a frisbee in his backpack so I can clean up my leftovers :rofl:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/04/28/article-1174259-04B0343B000005DC-185_634x471.jpg

cyrsequipment
07-20-2011, 10:45
Eric, I REALLY hope the money you are getting from this guy is worth the damage he is doing to the site.

But I have to admit, making fun of the stupid posts and ideas is rather entertaining....

lawman800
07-21-2011, 00:08
It's OK to bury your ***** but not what the ***** started as?

That depends on if the bear is catholic or if the Pope... nevermind.:whistling:

GeorgiaGlockMan
07-24-2011, 08:09
This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Unless frisbee is going for that WD- 40 1000 uses feel.

Absolute waste of space. .

G29Reload
07-24-2011, 08:43
I unofficially close this stupid thread.

Off-topic. Not an S&P item.

During SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I will not be "packing out waste" like some tree-hugging hippie, "concerned about the environment", as if biodegradable stuff harmed it, nor will anyone else except some left wing, obama voting Prius driving self-important moron who will soon become a casualty from their own utter naivete. And people won't be going "camping". Folks will be fighting for their lives.

I will be hunkered down at home, holding off predators and prius driving hippies begging for shelter because they were too stupid to prepare from having spent all their time reading SPAM from bots like Leave A Tip, having ghey sex, voting for obama, hugging trees, sending money to gun control organizations, getting in touch with their "feelings" and bandaging their fingers, injured from repeatedly dialing the government to ask why everything hasnt been fixed yet. :upeyes:

Wrong, moron. Won't be out "backpacking". Or clogging an S&P forum with irrelevant garbage. Maybe you can "pack out" all these crap threads you left like bear turds in the woods.

98LS-WON
07-27-2011, 00:15
Wrong, moron. Won't be out "backpacking". Or clogging an S&P forum with irrelevant garbage. Maybe you can "pack out" all these crap threads you left like bear turds in the woods.

You got waaaaaay wrong, those are pope turds.

Aceman
07-27-2011, 07:58
Water - check
Fire - check
Food - check
Frisbee - check
Glock - check

Hey - how about just straining through the coffee filter, or the coffee perculator, or a bandana.....

Frisbee in my BOB - right....

lawman800
07-27-2011, 09:46
Frisbees can be entertaining. SHTF does include lots of long boring lulls in between the action.

avail
07-28-2011, 11:29
Playing with a Frisbee is a stupid way to pass the time.... I'd rather play toss the bear canister (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k). :whistling:

avail :wavey:

Angry Fist
07-28-2011, 11:32
PAINT STRAINER!!! Weighs nothing.

http://mastercraftmfgs.com/strainerbag.jpg

Pantyhose is good too.