Tips for Cleaning a Squirrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Cleaning a Squirrel

Leave A Tip
07-19-2011, 14:00
I love to hunt small game, and one of my favorite animals to go after is squirrel. While the animal is abundant almost everywhere, it can be difficult to clean, but by following these tips the process should be much easier.

Cleaning a squirrel is a relatively hard task if you do not know how to clean them properly. First douse them in a bucket full of water or spray with a hose until the hide is soaking wet. After wetting them, pluck their hair from the base of the tail. Then make a cut through the base of the tail bone, but not through the hide on the top of the rump. If you cut or pull the tail off you’ve got problems. Next, place the back legs on a board, stump or flat rock, place your foot on the squirrel’s hind feet and cut toward the head about 1/2 to 1 inch. Then make a cut in front of each hind leg and pull up on the tail, peeling the hide toward the head until both front legs are exposed. Swap ends with the squirrel, but avoid touching the flesh. Stand on the tail as shown in step seven and remove the hide from the back legs. Next, pull the front legs through to the foot joint and cut the feet off. I usually remove one hind foot, then the head and the last hind foot.

Many old-timers ate the heads of squirrels. Some folks still prefer them. The head can be cleaned after the front feet are removed but before the hind feet are cut off. The final cleaning step involves removing the entrails. Removal of entrails,involves a fair amount of blood, which is sticky. Saving this step for last prevents spreading hair over the skinned carcass. This should take about 30 seconds per squirrel once you learn how to do it and get it down.

Read More Great Tips Here... (http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/tips-for-cleaning-a-squirrel/)

Haldor
07-19-2011, 22:00
Cool, I have only cleaned one squirrel and it took a lot longer than 30 seconds. Rabbits are so easy to skin it should be illegal. Don't even need a knife.

racerford
07-19-2011, 23:14
My first comment is don't even try it. It will really tick them off and they have sharp teeth and claws.

Second comment is that I recommend you kill them first or you have no chance getting them clean in 30 seconds.

You might think that it might be easier to give them a shower instead of a bath. I have tried it, they don't like it any better. Don't make the mistake and think hey I can give the squirrel a shower at the same time I take one and save time... don't do it. You need to be wearing thick clothing... they have sharp teeth and claws... it will end badly... learn from my experience.... please for the love of god trust me on this.

You really should have mentioned killing it first.... I blame you for this.

Bushflyr
07-19-2011, 23:19
Ttiwwop.

lawman800
07-21-2011, 00:12
I must admit, I am hunting squirrel in the backyard and decided to read this thread but after reading it, decided I am not going to field dress a squirrel... too disgusting to me.

thejellster05
07-21-2011, 02:58
I have eaten country squirrels but I wouldn't eat a city squirrel unless it was SHTF. Too many wires, insulation and other toxic materials those things gnaw on.

powderhead
07-21-2011, 06:38
I prefer to make a cut across the back and pull in opposite directions. My method works just as well as his, but only on head shot squirrels.

Toyman
07-21-2011, 08:37
This is one of those things that really needs a video. The directions below are terrible. I've seen videos of this, but was never able to execute it properly.

...First douse them in a bucket full of water or spray with a hose until the hide is soaking wet. After wetting them, pluck their hair from the base of the tail. Then make a cut through the base of the tail bone, but not through the hide on the top of the rump.

Since the rump is under the tail, do you really mean to cut from the underside towards the topside?

If you cut or pull the tail off you’ve got problems. Next, place the back legs on a board, stump or flat rock, place your foot on the squirrel’s hind feet and cut toward the head about 1/2 to 1 inch.

A cut FROM WHERE towards the head? Up the belly? Up the back?

Then make a cut in front of each hind leg and pull up on the tail,

Really? "...in front of each hind leg..." Does this really describe what I'm suppose to do?

peeling the hide toward the head until both front legs are exposed. Swap ends with the squirrel,[QUOTE]

Swap ends?

[QUOTE]but avoid touching the flesh. Stand on the tail as shown in step seven

Oh, I see, step seven. You're trying to describe something that the original person used pictures to show. Yeah, I guess we see how that worked out.

and remove the hide from the back legs. Next, pull the front legs through to the foot joint and cut the feet off. I usually remove one hind foot, then the head and the last hind foot....This should take about 30 seconds per squirrel once you learn how to do it and get it down.

Yeah, thanks for the instructions. Some people just have no skill when it comes to describing something.

freespirit34
07-21-2011, 08:52
When cleaning a squirrel I always try to make sure the water isn't too hot. Also, try to wash them good behind the ears. Those are tiny, hard to reach spots.

DoctaGlockta
07-21-2011, 08:56
When cleaning a squirrel I always try to make sure the water isn't too hot. Also, try to wash them good behind the ears. Those are tiny, hard to reach spots.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ray9898
07-23-2011, 14:21
That is a poorly written article.

Aceman
07-24-2011, 11:34
When cleaning squirrel, my tried and true approach was to give to grandma. She was very good at it.

Unfortunately, she is also very dead now. Timely post, even if spam...

Faulkner
07-24-2011, 17:58
I prefer to make a cut across the back and pull in opposite directions. My method works just as well as his, but only on head shot squirrels.

The cut across the back is the best way for head shot squirrels. The originally posted method is not that bad if you know how to do it, except for the getting them wet part. I've hunted, dressed, cooked, and eaten squirrels for 30 years and have never got one wet before skinning it on purpose.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/5865093/394251653.jpg

RED64CJ5
07-25-2011, 16:30
I'm leaving a tip here that soap and water work wonders on cleaning a squirrel. They don't like it very much. Be careful, they bite.

Unistat
07-25-2011, 17:25
Funny, I was watching Survivor Man earlier today and he roasted the whole thing over a fire. He ate the bones for breakfast.

robinsok
07-25-2011, 19:48
Maybe not the best description ever, but at least there is something to be learned from the thread topic, unlike a lot of the useless crap that gets posted on here. So add something if you have something useful, but i don't understand the complaining.

dcc12
07-25-2011, 20:01
The cut across the back is the best way for head shot squirrels. The originally posted method is not that bad if you know how to do it, except for the getting them wet part. I've hunted, dressed, cooked, and eaten squirrels for 30 years and have never got one wet before skinning it on purpose.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL488/1124764/5865093/394251653.jpg
Why are you getting ready to gut shoot that squirrel when his head is sticking out so big?

G29Reload
07-25-2011, 20:42
Tip for cleaning a forum...let worthless posts die

sebecman
07-26-2011, 11:34
Why are you getting ready to gut shoot that squirrel when his head is sticking out so big?

Maybe he's adjusting for windage?

or maybe he plans to have the head mounted?

:supergrin:

cyrsequipment
07-26-2011, 15:15
Maybe not the best description ever, but at least there is something to be learned from the thread topic, unlike a lot of the useless crap that gets posted on here. So add something if you have something useful, but i don't understand the complaining.

The complaining is mainly because this stuff doesn't really belong in this forum, it also has to do with the inundation of this forum from this website.