Dimple in mainspring housing that won't allow pin to pass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dimple in mainspring housing that won't allow pin to pass

Spike 7.62
07-19-2011, 14:05
Looking through the hole in the mainspring housing, there is a little bump in the middle. I see that in the MSH pin itself there is a groove where this dimple sits. The problem is, I am trying to push the pin through the hole and this bump/outward dimple won't allow the pin to pass. It is even scratching the pin badly. Is there sometime I'm supposed to do to make this thing go away so I can put the pin in? Or am I just supposed to apply more force?

knedrgr
07-19-2011, 14:20
don't cock the hammer. Use a 3/16 punch and a mallet. Place the frame on its side and punch the pin downward w/ the mallet. It should come out with mild resistance.

Lawdog seen me do this with my fist, instead of a mallet...

Spike 7.62
07-19-2011, 14:30
The pin is out, my problem is I can't get it back in. It easily slides halfway until it reaches an out-dent in the middle of the MSH pin hole. This out-dent is scratching the pin and won't let it progress through the hole to secure the MSH in the back of the frame.

Three-Five-Seven
07-19-2011, 14:33
Make sure you have the end piece for the spring proper located. Depress the mainspring a bit while looking through the hole and see if you get any clearance.

Clean the mainspring channel to be sure there's no crud at the bottom of it.

Bevel the leading edge of the pin slightly to make things go more smoothly.

nastytrigger
07-19-2011, 14:48
This use to be the hardest part for me. Okay, you've reassembled trigger, sear/disco, sear spring, hammer/strut, mainspring assembly back in (still compressed), grip safety can be put on now, but it's doable to fit after mainsprings in:

Now, my Springer, you have to push the housing up a little more for the pin to initially clear. Put it in rounded part first, not the flat (with dimple part) first. Lay on a secure surface and punch it in. The pointed part in the housing is under spring tension, it'll move with the rounded part of the pin. If you're punching and still stuck, it may be hitting the frame, not letting it go further.

Once it goes, you'll hear a click when it's flush (subtle). Then you can cock hammer and release tension (and pin from housing).

Spike 7.62
07-19-2011, 15:12
Turns out all it needed was some more force, and pressing the MSH "up" helped, or seemed to when I did it. It worked for me, hopefully if someone runs into the same problem in the future they will come across this thread and it can help them too. Thank you guys for your responses, I appreciate them.

RS7
07-19-2011, 16:26
It's called the "main spring housing pin retainer". It's there to retain the main spring
housing pin. It's spring loaded. Please look at an exploded view of your 1911. Needs a little tap sometimes. Did you disassemble the main spring housing? If not, do so. You'll learn a little more about your pistol.

CMG
07-19-2011, 17:17
Turns out all it needed was some more force, and pressing the MSH "up" helped, or seemed to when I did it. It worked for me, hopefully if someone runs into the same problem in the future they will come across this thread and it can help them too. Thank you guys for your responses, I appreciate them.

To add to the above, if you look closely at the MSH pin, you'll notice one end is rounded, while the other has a slight recess in the end. You should insert the rounded end first, then you can use the punch on the dimpled end to help you seat it.

BuckyP
07-19-2011, 20:05
To add to the above, if you look closely at the MSH pin, you'll notice one end is rounded, while the other has a slight recess in the end. You should insert the rounded end first, then you can use the punch on the dimpled end to help you seat it.

I was going to say this. Make sure you are putting the pin in the rights way. Also, it sometimes makes it easier to push the mainspring housing up if the slide it off, as the hammer can go a little further forward and take tension off the spring.

Ruggles
07-19-2011, 22:46
Yep whack it harder! It can be a tough little guy to knock in on some 1911s. As long as the MSH and frame are lined up you should be good to go :)