Open Carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry?

Bensmiata
07-19-2011, 18:27
Do you or have you open carried in the past? I live in Virginia and am waiting on my CCW to arrive in the mail any day now. Open carry is legal here however I have only seen it done rarely in the Norfolk area and typically only around gun shops.

PawDog
07-19-2011, 18:41
You need to post this in "Carry Issues."

ScarFace88
07-19-2011, 18:42
Does it really prevent stuff?

bowbender7
07-19-2011, 18:43

IT0
07-19-2011, 18:43
Open carry out in the bush, on the trail or on the back 40, is fine. Open carry in public is asking for trouble then acting self surprised when you find it. Look as every married man can tell you, being right and being happy are two different things.

bowbender7
07-19-2011, 18:46

MedicOni
07-19-2011, 18:47
OC all the time here in ABQ. Rarely do I get even a second look. It's not exactly common in NM, but enough so that it's not unheard of and PD generally doesn't over react to it.

wrenrj1
07-19-2011, 18:48
You need to do a search. There's a wealth of threads on this topic. Most not positive as several are trying to make a point. My suggestion is if you are considering it, keep it in your pants, literally.

G29Reload
07-19-2011, 18:56
Only if you need to prevent stuff.

FireGuy
07-19-2011, 19:02
Have OC'd in AZ, NM, and CO with no problems or negative reactions. Most of the people afraid of OC seem to live in the areas east of the mountains. Must be caused by all that liberal air and paranoid humidity... :whistling:

07-19-2011, 19:12
Living in ABQ, no. If others are comfortable with it, good for them.

cranejc
07-19-2011, 19:15
...could have prevented this thread.

vafish
07-19-2011, 19:17
I'm in NoVA,

I've open carried a few times and no one has said a thing about it. One time I was on my way to a USPSA match, had a Glock 17 and 4 mags on my belt. Stopped to get gas, use the ATM, and coffee at 7-11.

No one said a thing to me, didn't see any strange looks.

stevelyn
07-19-2011, 19:24
Only when engaged in outdoor activities. Otherwise I carry concealed.

*ASH*
07-19-2011, 20:17
OC here in NC all the time . people who complain are only idiots .

costanza187
07-19-2011, 20:52

:rofl: win

Diesel_Bomber
07-19-2011, 21:11
OC frequently here. Rarely any reaction at all, negative or otherwise. Of the reactions I get, most are positive. I prefer to do so for my own comfort, but I understand that it has far reaching consequences for gun owners as a whole. As such, I only do so when and where prudent, and when I'm in a mood to be a good ambassador for gun owners everywhere.

seancares
07-19-2011, 21:14
i talked to a few guys in las vegas who do it

they said its a pain in the ass. people call the cops a lot, kick **** up, not worth the trouble when every single person out there has a cell phone

but if you lived in a more rural area i suppose it would go over a lot better

Airborne Infantryman
07-19-2011, 21:19
I have no issues with open carry......but if I were a somewhat observant criminal, I'd shoot the guy with the gun on his hip first, the proceed to rob the rest of the establishment. Just sayin'.....other than that, do it til your heart's content. I don't mind it. :wavey:

mixflip
07-19-2011, 21:30
I personally dont want to advertise to the bad guys...Hey if youre planning on killing folks here..shot me first!!!

Diesel_Bomber
07-19-2011, 22:11
http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-atlanta/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

SomeDay
07-19-2011, 23:53
Since I can't either way, it's purely academic to me. I think OC and CC each have their time and place. Since, according to my wife and daughter, I am built a little like Shrek, OC would be a lot more comfortable for me. However, there would be times (like walking around this ghetto I call home or taking my daughter to school) that I just don't feel like advertising.

MadMonkey
07-20-2011, 00:03
Don't do it, people might get used to it and it would be less of a shock to the sheep to see it, and then there might not be an overreaction when someone sees a guy with a gun. DON'T YOU SEE WHAT YOU COULD BE DOING BY OPEN CARRYING???

:whistling:

Sheepdog Scout
07-20-2011, 00:13
I do from time to time.

OD Green Glock 19
07-20-2011, 00:35
Do you or have you open carried in the past? I live in Virginia and am waiting on my CCW to arrive in the mail any day now. Open carry is legal here however I have only seen it done rarely in the Norfolk area and typically only around gun shops.
I open carried while I was waiting for my CHP to come in the mail.

RussP
07-20-2011, 06:10
I have no issues with open carry......but if I were a somewhat observant criminal, I'd shoot the guy with the gun on his hip first, the proceed to rob the rest of the establishment. Just sayin'.....other than that, do it til your heart's content. I don't mind it. :wavey:The part in bold, we read that frequently here on GT, "If I were a criminal, I'd shoot you first because you're a threat," or something like that.

Difference is, you and everyone else here saying that are far, far smarter than numbnuts there knocking over the convenience store - you've chosen, wisely, NOT to lead a life of crime.

I'm of the opinion that ol' numbnuts' thought process only rises to the level of if he sees an armed person in his target store, he'll pass and go to a softer target or wait until the crazy guy open carrying leaves. He's still going to rob someone, just not where some nutjob (in his opinion) is walking around all sure of himself/herself with a damn gun all out in the open.

So as long as those of higher intelligence stay out of the convenience store robbery business, that lowers significantly the chance of getting shot for open carrying.

:cool:

LongGoneDays
07-20-2011, 07:07
Exactly. Lots of lowlifes/criminals aren't willing to kill/be killed for 50 bucks.

I do not open carry, just sayin'

Seelesturm
07-20-2011, 07:43
Difference is, you and everyone else here saying that are far, far smarter than numbnuts there knocking over the convenience store - you've chosen, wisely, NOT to lead a life of crime.

There are always going to be idiots tryin to get a months worth of smoke courtesy of a couple hundred grains of gunpowder, but with the rise of technology and information, crooks and thiefs are getting smarter as well...

Not all crimes are just spur of the moment anymore, a lot are getting planned out more and more.

Id agree with keeping it concealed, unless your out sporting.

Just my .02 though

Donn57
07-20-2011, 09:16
The part in bold, we read that frequently here on GT, "If I were a criminal, I'd shoot you first because you're a threat," or something like that.

I'm of the opinion that ol' numbnuts' thought process only rises to the level of if he sees an armed person in his target store, he'll pass and go to a softer target or wait until the crazy guy open carrying leaves. He's still going to rob someone, just not where some nutjob (in his opinion) is walking around all sure of himself/herself with a damn gun all out in the open.

So as long as those of higher intelligence stay out of the convenience store robbery business, that lowers significantly the chance of getting shot for open carrying.

:cool:

So you would disagree with both these statements:

Open carry prevents crime.
Open carry will get you shot first in a robbery.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-20-2011, 10:54
<-------Has open carried. The first time in public was an experiment to gauge the publics reaction, not to gather attention to my self. Since, I've open carried a few times running erands, but mostly save the open carry goodness for when I'm working.

I have good equipment, gun belt, quality holsters etc, so I can simply put my tshirt over the holstered gun and conceal it, or not, I like being the one that decides my method of carry, not my state government.

Bill Lumberg
07-20-2011, 11:45
On duty, yes. Off duty, I don't seek attention, and prefer to be underestimated or overlooked entirely. So concealed off duty. Do you or have you open carried in the past? I live in Virginia and am waiting on my CCW to arrive in the mail any day now. Open carry is legal here however I have only seen it done rarely in the Norfolk area and typically only around gun shops.

RussP
07-20-2011, 12:10

Open carry will get you shot first in a robbery.I agree with what I wrote.:cool:

Warp
07-20-2011, 12:33
I have no issues with open carry......but if I were a somewhat observant criminal, I'd shoot the guy with the gun on his hip first, the proceed to rob the rest of the establishment. Just sayin'.....other than that, do it til your heart's content. I don't mind it. :wavey:

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-atlanta/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

A car full of armed robbers, a couple guys eating breakfast while openly carrying...the car full of armed robbers holds off on going in specifically because of the open carrying citizens. Imagine that.

But hey, if you actually have a real world event on which you are basing your belief please, do tell. :cool:

chammer
07-20-2011, 13:18
I open carry every day. I have my CHP, but that was only to provide the extra benefits that comes with it, not to be intended as primary method of carry.

dnuggett
07-20-2011, 14:34
I believe it should be up to the person to determine which method they wish to use.

That said there is anecdotal evidence that open carry prevents crime through news articles like the one in this thread. I can also see where someone open carrying would be the first target. An example of this could be a criminal who holds up the Waffle House and comes in with gun out only noticing the individual open carrying after they have committed themselves to the robbery. Even then, it is only speculation what will happen next. There isn't enough evidence of this occurring to reliably speculate.

Generally speaking, criminals prey on the weak and will make a determination if their target is soft.. in other words what their likelihood of success will be given their assessment of the target and the situation around them.

Magicmanmb
07-20-2011, 16:39
Does it really prevent stuff?

Makes you the first one the nutjob takes out. In South Carolina also gets you 5 years or so. We are just happy to have CCW. Also a Governor that has some brass ones under her skirt. I wasn't planning on voting for her until I was able to talk with her & she actually acted like a regular person & not a politician.

Gunnut 45/454
07-20-2011, 17:04
OC'd into the local UPS to get some more targets printed up! Had a Mommy with two youngin's and a female clerk not a word said!:supergrin:

Airborne Infantryman
That's only if I had not gotten the drop on you first! SA my friend , I run the old rule of poker playing my back is against the wall and I see EVERYONE coming in! :supergrin:

sr975j
07-20-2011, 17:07

^^jealous you got that in before me lol

Sam

Donn57
07-20-2011, 17:14
I agree with what I wrote.:cool:

Nice dodge. You would probably make a great politician. :cool:

Donn57
07-20-2011, 17:18
I believe it should be up to the person to determine which method they wish to use.

That said there is anecdotal evidence that open carry prevents crime through news articles like the one in this thread.

I'd agree that it may prevent a particular crime, but not that it reduces crime in general.

In fact, were I a criminal, I would prefer a state where open carry was the only carry option as opposed to a state that allowed concealed carry.

ComeAndGetThem
07-20-2011, 18:27

Where has that ever happened? Ever?

dnuggett
07-20-2011, 18:45
I'd agree that it may prevent a particular crime, but not that it reduces crime in general.

In fact, were I a criminal, I would prefer a state where open carry was the only carry option as opposed to a state that allowed concealed carry.

Never said it did prevent crime. I haven't seen statistics or a study one way or another. I suppose from a criminal's perspective you would want to know. More information never hurts, if you know how to use it to your advantage.

I am assuming you are suggesting that if you were a criminal you would look for another victim rather than accost one that is carrying?

Airborne Infantryman
07-20-2011, 20:08

A car full of armed robbers, a couple guys eating breakfast while openly carrying...the car full of armed robbers holds off on going in specifically because of the open carrying citizens. Imagine that.

But hey, if you actually have a real world event on which you are basing your belief please, do tell. :cool:

I never said I have an issue with open carry; I just prepare for worst case scenarios, like a smart criminal. :wavey:

Were I a criminal, I'd be more worried about the unknown.......such as whether or not that dude over there could have a CCW or not.

Airborne Infantryman
07-20-2011, 20:11

Never said it did; as I said in another response; I just prepare for worst case scenarios, like a smart criminal......besides, my Glock 26 would look puny being OC'ed. :cool:

eb31
07-20-2011, 20:25
I OC and CC about equally. No problems with either.

RussP
07-20-2011, 20:38

Open carry will get you shot first in a robbery.I agree with what I wrote.:cool:Nice dodge. You would probably make a great politician. :cool:Okay, since you did not find the answer to your question in what I wrote, and the answer is there, I would not disagree with both your statements.

Warp
07-20-2011, 20:50

Never said it did; as I said in another response; I just prepare for worst case scenarios, like a smart criminal......besides, my Glock 26 would look puny being OC'ed. :cool:

I first open carried with a Glock 26 as it was my only firearm. It was a little odd but not terrible. A grip extender and a G17 magazine helped.

mixflip
07-20-2011, 23:07
On duty, yes. Off duty, I don't seek attention, and prefer to be underestimated or overlooked entirely. So concealed off duty.

Same here...

boomhower
07-20-2011, 23:12
If you can conceal you should conceal. If OC is your only choice then OC.

MadMonkey
07-20-2011, 23:22
I'm possibly moving to AZ for a few months, and I'll definitely OC now and then. Why?

1. Because I can.

2. Because it's simpler to drop in a (good) paddle holster than my CC rigs.

3. Because it's a deterrent... years of "angry face but nice guy" and the way I try to carry myself has made a lot of people (quickly corrected) mistake me for military or law enforcement :rofl:

4. I refuse to walk around in fear that I'll be targeted if I take advantage of my rights. A right unexcercised is a right soon lost...

SouthernBoyVA
07-21-2011, 06:05

I have been OC'ing in Virginia on a regular basis for four years and have had only one negative encounter during the entire time. That was from a customer at a McDonald's who claimed he was a retired LEO, however judging by his accent he was not native to Virginia... perhaps a transplant from up north.

Open carry is the normal, or default, mode of carrying a SD sidearm in Virginia and Virginia is the most lenient state in the South for carrying. It's a no-brainer here. The primary reason I open carry is my knees. I have osteoarthritis so I can no longer fight or run as I was once capable of doing. An open carried sidearm helps send a message to anyone who may be of a mind to do me harm that perhaps it would be in their best interest to bother someone else. I do conceal when I perceive the need to do so, however. But more often that not, my sidearm rides out in the open.

Virginia is a fine place to do either and you are highly unlikely to have any difficulties as you go about your business.

hikerpaddler
07-22-2011, 04:12
Can and should. Two different things. When I'm off, you'd never know I'm a cop, you'd never know I'm armed. Leave the drama and attention seeking for Jersey Shore.

Magicmanmb
07-22-2011, 10:52

If a nut job will shoot LEO's in uniform with weapons at there side. How will the person know your not Law Enforcement off duty or under cover. Unless you wave your CCW badge at them LOL. If you want to open carry & it's legal do it. But I've found a lot that do just do so because they want to brag about it. We try to blend in and don't wear the stupid hats & shirts except for a few.

Warp
07-22-2011, 13:35
If a nut job will shoot LEO's in uniform with weapons at there side. How will the person know your not Law Enforcement off duty or under cover.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you rephrase?

HarleyGuy
07-22-2011, 20:58
I was at Sam's Club one day this week sitting at a table in the food court with a friend when he spotted a young man wearing a white polo shirt and open carrying a sidearm while walking towards the main exit door.
As he pointed out to me (I was facing the opposite direction) one of the younger managers caught up to the guy and apparently has asked him about the gun.
The young man carrying the gun was showing the manager something (it could have been a CPL or a LEO I.D.).

In Michigan, you're not required to show your CPL to anyone with the exception of a LEO.
Michigan is an "open carry" state so it's legal (but not advisable) to open carry with, or without a CPL, so the manager asking the young man for any type of I.D. made no sense at all and Sam's Club does not have signs that forbid firearms in their store.

757CC
07-22-2011, 21:01
Live in Chesapeake. have not had a single issue OCing hampton roads!

RussP
07-22-2011, 21:16
If a nut job will shoot LEO's in uniform with weapons at there side. How will the person know your not Law Enforcement off duty or under cover.I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you rephrase?What's not understandable, Warp? Bad guys shoot cops just because they're cops. Have you never been mistaken for law enforcement while open carrying? I have, many times. Bad guy could make the same mistake.

Warp
07-22-2011, 21:22
I was at Sam's Club one day this week sitting at a table in the food court with a friend when he spotted a young man wearing a white polo shirt and open carrying a sidearm while walking towards the main exit door.
As he pointed out to me (I was facing the opposite direction) one of the younger managers caught up to the guy and apparently has asked him about the gun.
The young man carrying the gun was showing the manager something (it could have been a CPL or a LEO I.D.).

In Michigan, you're not required to show your CPL to anyone with the exception of a LEO.
Michigan is an "open carry" state so it's legal (but not advisable) to open carry with, or without a CPL, so the manager asking the young man for any type of I.D. made no sense at all and Sam's Club does not have signs that forbid firearms in their store.

Sams could still ask him to leave or lock the gun in his car. They can also ask to see a carry license and then, upon verifying that he has one, not take any further action.

Warp
07-22-2011, 21:24
What's not understandable, Warp? Bad guys shoot cops just because they're cops. Have you never been mistaken for law enforcement while open carrying? I have, many times. Bad guy could make the same mistake.

The post didn't say anything about shooting people just because they are cops. It said that officers in uniform are shot. Well, yes, they are...usually because the person who shoots them is at risk of being arrested by the officer. As an open carrier I would not be in that situations so, like I asked, some clarification would be nice.

OD Green Glock 19
07-22-2011, 23:26
The post didn't say anything about shooting people just because they are cops. It said that officers in uniform are shot. Well, yes, they are...usually because the person who shoots them is at risk of being arrested by the officer. As an open carrier I would not be in that situations so, like I asked, some clarification would be nice.
If they're willing to shoot uniformed police officers, I doubt they'd bat an eyelash at shooting an OC'ing civilian. I think the point he was making was; if you're open carrying, then they may mistake you for an off-duty or plainclothes officer.

RussP
07-23-2011, 06:12
The post didn't say anything about shooting people just because they are cops. It said that officers in uniform are shot. Well, yes, they are...usually because the person who shoots them is at risk of being arrested by the officer. You didn't hear about the four Lakewood officers killed in the coffee shop? How about the officers killed while sitting in their cruisers? Have you ever been having coffee with an off duty officer when he was recognized by one of his "frequent flyers"? Ever seen the look on the bad guy's face, the hatred?As an open carrier I would not be in that situations so, like I asked, some clarification would be nice.Well, if it's that complicated...

Warp
07-23-2011, 12:13
You didn't hear about the four Lakewood officers killed in the coffee shop? How about the officers killed while sitting in their cruisers? Have you ever been having coffee with an off duty officer when he was recognized by one of his "frequent flyers"? Ever seen the look on the bad guy's face, the hatred?Well, if it's that complicated...

Russ...what is not to understand? Like I said, the post I quoted did not say any thing about LEOs being shot/killed just for being LEOs. If that is what the poster I quoted was attempting to say, why doesn't he say so?

If you want to make that the topic of discussion you can bring it up yourself. Is this a big open carry concerns for you, Russ? That a serious criminal will assume you are an LEO and attack you based on that assumption? Do you know of any cases where an open carrying not in uniform officer was attacked under the belief that they were an officer?

hikerpaddler
07-24-2011, 06:26
I don't get looking for attention or advertising. It is what it is, and it's simply unnecessary. I support permit holder's ability to do so (OC) where legal, but where concealment is legal, OC isn't even close to the best option. If you want folks to mistake you for LE, join a reserve and play LE a bit. Good luck whatever you choose.

Lior
07-24-2011, 07:16
Yes, I have opened carry in the past and continue to do so today. It is just an option and not by any means my default mode of carriage of arms. Usually done in less populated parts of the country (e.g. when flying or shooting with others).