Think I gave up too soon...??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Think I gave up too soon...???

Teecher45
07-19-2011, 23:42
I'm missing my Colt LW Commander. I received a new one just after Christmas on a trade. I LOVED the way it felt and being a LW, it even carried well. My favorite thing though was the looks, I love the Colt blue.
But then I shot it. It seemed to feed well but it failed to eject mil-surp ammo fairly often. On top of that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I tried to stay with it through about 200 rounds, almost all mil-surp ammo, with several FTE's. Some of the ammo has a green tarnish on it. The trigger was also VERY mushy, not crisp at all. I gave-up on it and traded for a G21. The 21 fed everything/everytime and will hold twice the groups that Commander did. The problem is, I miss my Commander. I want it back, but can't explain why really. I just loved that gun.
I'm fairly certain the FTE's were the ammo's fault. The problem is, I have several thousand rounds of it. The biggest concern for me was the accuracy, there wasn't any. My 21 will shoot circles around it.
My question is, if I would have called Colt would they have helped me, or in your opinion, would they have told me it's the ammo, and then stated that the accuracy and trigger was within spec's?
Any help is appreciated, and all opinions are welcomed.

TxGun
07-20-2011, 00:25
Not sure what you expect people to say. If you had called Colt, they likely would have tried to help you, but you would have needed more and better information than your post contains. My guess is the accuracy of the Colt was just fine. You just couldn't shoot it very well initially, then gave up. If you're "fairly certain the FTE's were the ammo's fault", then there you go. The ammo may well have had something to do with your problems. It often does. If you miss the Colt, buy another one. If you like the Glock, keep it too.

HotRoderX
07-20-2011, 00:26
I thinking it was your ammo you cant pass judgement on a guns accuracy and reliability until you have tested several different types of ammo in it.

Teecher45
07-20-2011, 00:38
Thanks for trying to help guys. I tried 165 gr Cor-Bons, 185 gr Hornady Critical Defense, 230 gr Gold Dot's, WWB 230 FMJ, and the mil-surp stuff. It was hard to hit a paper plate at 20 yards with any of it. I can do it with my 21 with boring regularity.
When I say the trigger was mushy, I mean the 21's trigger is more crisp. Think I could have just gotten one that was put together Friday evening?

HotRoderX
07-20-2011, 00:46
Might wanna try going to your LGS and dry firing one see how the trigger feels. Different fokes different strokes when it comes to trigger feel but I have never heard anyone regard the glock trigger highly. As far as shooting goes you can learn to shoot any gun well. The question is if it was not the ammo and it was you are you willing to take the time to train with the pistol? It really sounds like you miss it a lot and if that's the case I say yes I would get another one. Keep the Glock don't keep the Glock that's up to you but personally I see no point in the 45 caliber Glocks. There are other 45's out there that can do anything a Glock can do better.

Teecher45
07-20-2011, 01:18
Thanks HotRoderX. The trigger was that bad. I guess I was fishing to see if anyone else has had this same problem from their Colt. Like, is this a common theme, and did Colt help them or say "Tough Sh.."
I think I'll visit my LGS in the morning.

carguy2244
07-20-2011, 05:33
Might wanna try going to your LGS and dry firing one see how the trigger feels. Different fokes different strokes when it comes to trigger feel but I have never heard anyone regard the glock trigger highly. As far as shooting goes you can learn to shoot any gun well. The question is if it was not the ammo and it was you are you willing to take the time to train with the pistol? It really sounds like you miss it a lot and if that's the case I say yes I would get another one. Keep the Glock don't keep the Glock that's up to you but personally I see no point in the 45 caliber Glocks.

There are other 45's out there that can do anything a Glock can do better.

Is your statement of fact is based owning a Glock 21, or is it based on what you've read online and just regurgitated back up for all to enjoy?

lawdog734
07-20-2011, 10:23
Maybe try and find some 1911 owners around you and shoot theirs. Then you can see if it was the gun or your shooting. I am the opposite. I can't shoot a Glock very well. I have to ask, if the Glock shoots so well, why switch?

fnfalman
07-20-2011, 10:34
Sounded like you had a crappy Lightweight Commander.

There is no reason why it wouldn't function properly with surplus ammo. If the green tarnished ammo were not to go Bang!, then it wouldn't have worked in the Glock either.

Mushy trigger? Probably so. Don't know what year that gun was made but 1980s-2000s Colts weren't exactly the best that left the factory.

Accuracy? That depends on lots of things, but if the Glock were to group this lot of surplus ammo better than the Colt then something's wrong with the Colt.

Find another one to replace it.

dewidmt
07-20-2011, 22:27
I would have shown it a little love first. Triggers are cheap..put a new one in it. So are sears, springs, and such. Barrels now, that's gettin' expensive. If I ever get a crappy gun (and I have), I usually try to diagnose and fix it, especially if I like the gun. Very few have been traded away, they all usually work eventually.

dakota1911
07-21-2011, 10:42
What I read is a new to you on a trade might be someone elses problem that they might have made. If there is a good gunsmith in your area you might have him/her look it over.

skdmrklcy
07-21-2011, 12:00
I do not think I have ever felt a 1911 trigger that would have a person saying a Glock trigger was more Crisp. Sounds like someone did some really shady work to it before you got it, or it was just a bad one that made it out.

Most companies will make any issue right, do they always do it as fast or the way people think it should be done...nope... but they will generally make it right. I have only ever had to deal with S&W though, and they were top notch. I have heard good and bad about Colt, I have never had to use them though.

I think you should have no problem if you try another 1911 if that is what you want.

Teecher45
07-21-2011, 21:34
I made it to 2 LGS's today. Neither had a Colt Commander, 1 had 2 new agents (1 9mm & 1 .45, don't like the lack of sights) and 1 defender, but in 9mm. One told me he has a standing order with all of his distributors for any Colt 1911's, and don't see much. Neither would let me dry-fire one.
But one offered a bit of advice, he told me that it was probably a 1991 Commander and they are not built too well. His words, not mine. But is he right?
Also looked at a SA Gov't. The young boy didn't know what model it was, but it looked nice, and felt good. It was black (not stainless), stainless barrel and bushing, night sights, wood grips, $709. Any idea which model it was.
I only have one friend who has a 1911. It is a Colt Gov't that has had a lot of work done to it. Very few off the shelf 1911's (in my price range) can compare.

skdmrklcy
07-21-2011, 22:54
There is nothing wrong with the 1991's a lot of people have an issue with the 80s series guns for various reasons, most no longer valid. I had a Colt Combat Commander and it was a great gun, I wish I still had that one....

The SA you looked at sounds like a Loaded model. They are good guns as well.

You really can't go wrong with a Springfield or any of the big names. Colts can be a pain to locate in general, they sell as soon they show up in shops and they really do not produce them on a set schedule.

Bruce Foreman
07-21-2011, 23:37
I had a Series 80 MkIV LW Commander I picked up used at a gun show at a time when we thought there would be no more Colts for civilians. Beat up, but had a super trigger. It wouldn't group worth a hoot though.

The gunsmith I dealt with back then charged me $20 for a new bushing (the old one was really "sloppy" and $20 for the machining to fit, called me up 2 hours after I dropped it off and I was off to the range.

My students (Defensive Handgun) still call it my "never miss" gun, so it may not be hard to fix a "sloppy shooting" 1911.

My other Commander is an all steel Combat Commander and it shoots about as good (better than I can hold anyway). It must have been stored in a leather holster for 30-35 years before I traded for it, blued finish is not good. It doesn't look "purty" but it's a good "working gun"

dewidmt
07-22-2011, 08:44
It doesn't look "purty" but it's a good "working gun"

Gotta love the "working guns".

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r25/dewidmt/commandergrips21.jpg

ArmoryDoc
07-22-2011, 09:43
The trigger was that bad. I guess I was fishing to see if anyone else has had this same problem from their Colt. Like, is this a common theme, and did Colt help them or say "Tough Sh.."

I currently own five stock Colts. Over the years I've owned another half dozen on top of that and I have never had a Colt trigger come even close to the crappy, mushy, plastic type trigger of a Glock.

You obviously got somebodies exception-to-the-rule gun or a WECSOG project.

fnfalman
07-22-2011, 11:44
Buckhorn Gunshop in Boise, Idaho, has a 9mm 1970s (my guess) matte nickel plated Commander. If it were a full size, I would have bought it.

Boise Gun Company has a couple of brand new Series 80 LW Commanders with SS slide and matte nickel plated frames. I've seen these and while I'm not a stainless steel fan for the M1911, I must say that they do look damn good.

I made it to 2 LGS's today. Neither had a Colt Commander, 1 had 2 new agents (1 9mm & 1 .45, don't like the lack of sights) and 1 defender, but in 9mm. One told me he has a standing order with all of his distributors for any Colt 1911's, and don't see much. Neither would let me dry-fire one.
But one offered a bit of advice, he told me that it was probably a 1991 Commander and they are not built too well. His words, not mine. But is he right?
Also looked at a SA Gov't. The young boy didn't know what model it was, but it looked nice, and felt good. It was black (not stainless), stainless barrel and bushing, night sights, wood grips, $709. Any idea which model it was.
I only have one friend who has a 1911. It is a Colt Gov't that has had a lot of work done to it. Very few off the shelf 1911's (in my price range) can compare.