glock_ME
07-20-2011, 04:58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnPu7gcJxs

Wow. He's my hero.

Mirror if other one isn't working...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4

bigj480
07-20-2011, 05:02
Just saw this myself, MAJOR props to the officer. The way he approached the situation was amazing. The guy filming comes off as a jerk.

Bren
07-20-2011, 05:04
Wow. He's my hero.

He's (assuming you mena Captain OpenCarry) more my idea of an urban idiot. I am embarrassed that he owns a gun and has no more common sense than he does.

glock_ME
07-20-2011, 05:18
He's (assuming you mena Captain OpenCarry) more my idea of an urban idiot. I am embarrassed that he owns a gun and has no more common sense than he does.

Haha, no. I was referring to Officer Lyons. He was polite, professional, and very knowledgeable about the law. He was friendly while doing his job and used this to try and obtain info "Jeremy" wasn't required to give. He knew CA doesn't have stop and ID requirements and politely kept asking in a friendly manner trying to obtain ID. I respect that he didn't demand it - it's the citizen's job to know what is legally required of him.

RussP
07-20-2011, 05:51
The "kwikrnu syndrome" spreads.

DS26
07-20-2011, 06:40
It is gun owners like this that give us a bad name. I believe that acts like this won't help if anything it will hurt as it only proves that there are morons with guns out there and better control will need to be taken.

I'm from NY, this would have gone down very differently around here.

Brucev
07-20-2011, 06:52
Officer handled the matter very well. The other fellow did nothing wrong. There is not reason for anyone to have to justify why they exercise their Constitutional rights. No one would consider such a question ("Why do you have/are you carrying...?" etc.) legitimate if asked of a writer, reporter, etc.

Seelesturm
07-20-2011, 07:08
Asking him questions, usually neutral questions like that is a way of just getting a conversation going, and to build raport with whoever they are talking to.

We can agree that the holder is an idiot, but this being posted is about recognizing the way that the officer handled the situation.

Gokyo
07-20-2011, 07:18
The guy filming comes off as a jerk.
I do not think he came off as a jerk. He was respectful and asserted his rights.

The Cop was awesome I must say.

Gokyo
07-20-2011, 07:19
We can agree that the holder is an idiot, but this being posted is about recognizing the way that the officer handled the situation.
Why waht do you think he was doing that was being idiotic. Seemed like he was walking down the street. Was stopped by a cop for no apparent reason and questioned. he was respectful and direct.

Gokyo
07-20-2011, 07:20
It is gun owners like this that give us a bad name. I believe that acts like this won't help if anything it will hurt as it only proves that there are morons with guns out there and better control will need to be taken.

I'm from NY, this would have gone down very differently around here.

Why would it need to?

dreis454
07-20-2011, 07:25
why can't ALLLL cops be like him?

Bren
07-20-2011, 07:25
No one would consider such a question ("Why do you have/are you carrying...?" etc.) legitimate if asked of a writer, reporter, etc.

They wouldn't? So if some non-LE person asked you why you're carrying a gun you'd act like a paranoid nutcase, like the guy in the video?:rofl:

Unfortunately for those who act like OC-man was perfectly normal, that may say more about you than about him.

Glockdude1
07-20-2011, 07:35
Jeremy is obviously an attention whore......

:faint:

Seelesturm
07-20-2011, 07:53
Why waht do you think he was doing that was being idiotic. Seemed like he was walking down the street. Was stopped by a cop for no apparent reason and questioned. he was respectful and direct.

It wasnt his responses to the officer that I think were stupid, it was more of his decision to OC. He states that he is a Marine, and that this is in Oceanside, so I can very safely assume that they are in San Diego, an extremely populated city. Oceanside is also right next to Camp Pendleton, home of 1ST Marine Division, and many, MANY other military units.

OC in such a densely populated place, where pretty much everyone around you knows how to work firearms. Whats stopping anyone from just... taking it from that guy? I really doubt he had a III holster, and im pretty sure anyone thats worked with a pistol knows to press in the tab on an OC holster.

Im not saying that OC is a bad thing, but this Marine did not really think out what was going to be going on around him. OC in the middle of a dense city like San Diego? Stupid idea...

OD Green Glock 19
07-20-2011, 07:56
Haha this guy is probably going to feel like a moron when the people on all the gun forums he frequents think he is the ****** and the big bad policeman is actually polite and informed. He will probably keep doing this until he gets the response he is searching for though. I tip my hat to the officer though. He did make the video worth watching.

RYNOCG201
07-20-2011, 08:11
That's how all police should be polite direct informed and respectful. Cheers to him!

Donn57
07-20-2011, 09:08
Poor "Jeremy". I'm sure that wasn't the result he was hoping for. No payday for Jerkemy, uh, I mean Jeremy.

ammotroop
07-20-2011, 09:12

I always wear my video camera behind my spare mags.....really the fact that he had a camera with him states the obvious. He's an idiot looking for a fight. I think its great the way the officer handled it, taking the wind out of his sails. Yes it's his right to carry, but given his obivous looking for a conflict, I agree, he gives gun owners a bad name.

Tommy Hanrahan
07-20-2011, 09:16
The fellow being questioned is the quintessential masculine biological appendage. He should not be allowed to breed.

as400guy1
07-20-2011, 09:41
I like that officer....too bad he wasn't wearing his hat.

wetworks44
07-20-2011, 09:52
The cop was awesome, Jeremy was just looking for something to get attention with and failed.

BailRecoveryAgent
07-20-2011, 10:21
I don't think the cop could have handled the situation any better than he did. True professional right there.

concrete
07-20-2011, 10:33
Just saw the video... LEO was great!
Too bad the You Tube poster "Jeremy" just removed it from his site.
Glad I got a chance to see it though...

OP glock_ME, thanks for sharing~

Mister_Beefy
07-20-2011, 10:43
how dare he open carry! zealot!

hooray for the officer for deigning to interact with such a horrible person.

JimBianchi
07-20-2011, 11:37
video is now gone....

LongGoneDays
07-20-2011, 15:40
Odd. I am looking at it right now on another forum. Maybe changed the url or someone stole it and put it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4

Gokyo
07-20-2011, 15:49
Whats stopping anyone from just... taking it from that guy? I really doubt he had a III holster,

Sounded like it had a Velcro security strap.

Also weapon is not loaded...

GenuineMP5
07-20-2011, 16:11
Wow. Officer was a complete gentleman! The guy taping, while polite, was a total dick.

Gunnut 45/454
07-20-2011, 16:29
Can't comment as the video has been removed?:whistling:

jeffyjeff
07-20-2011, 16:55
Wow. Officer was a complete gentleman! The guy taping, while polite, was a total dick.

what a world where exercising your rights can be construed as being a dick.

seems more like both parties were polite and treated each other respectfully.

Seelesturm
07-20-2011, 17:21
Sounded like it had a Velcro security strap.

Also weapon is not loaded...

Sooo if the weapon isnt loaded its there for show and to attract attention?

And whether or not a firearm is loaded, a stolen gun is a stolen gun on the streets.

Donn57
07-20-2011, 17:22
what a world where exercising your rights can be construed as being a dick.

seems more like both parties were polite and treated each other respectfully.

Exercising your right to carry is not the issue. Filming it in hopes of becoming a youtube/gun forum celebrity, being uncooperative, and lying to the officer is the issue.

slickt0mmy
07-20-2011, 17:32
I always wonder why the majority of open carry incident videos are of the person walking along a major road/highway....
Do these people not have cars!?

Mayhem like Me
07-20-2011, 17:45
Odd. I am looking at it right now on another forum. Maybe changed the url or someone stole it and put it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZFzH5Oe-YL4

opps maybe it is

kensteele
07-20-2011, 18:04
Isn't this the same old tired video that we talked to death last year? I thought all the questions were already answers, are there still more?

dnuggett
07-20-2011, 18:55
Sooo if the weapon isnt loaded its there for show and to attract attention?

And whether or not a firearm is loaded, a stolen gun is a stolen gun on the streets.

Read the law in CA. You will answer your own question.

As for your second statement how many people have had their guns stolen while open carrying?

skelt11
07-20-2011, 21:37
Props to that cop! Wow, could not have been handled any better or more professionally! Especially in CA. Wow, I'm a little shocked.

But yeah, the cop was being more than cooperative so I'm not sure why the reluctance on the person to give them information. I know its his right, got it. Just personally don't see the issue. But to each is there own, his right.

Do they have to OC unloaded in CA?

skelt11
07-20-2011, 21:38
Isn't this the same old tired video that we talked to death last year? I thought all the questions were already answers, are there still more?

So what about us that weren't living on GT last year and missed it?

dnuggett
07-20-2011, 21:48
Do they have to OC unloaded in CA?

Yes..

whoops dude
07-20-2011, 22:03
Guy was a real dick. It's not cops we have to convince. It's your dentist, your mailman, the girl bagging your groceries. These are the people who are going to see a video like this, lump all of us gun owners into the power hungry jerks category and then decide to vote people into office who are for limiting our rights.

kensteele
07-20-2011, 22:17
So what about us that weren't living on GT last year and missed it?

GT has nothing to do with it. It happened and does happen in CA, you don't have to visit GT in order to know and understand exactly what is going on out there in the real world. At least read and understand the CA laws and then get in touch with the OC movement in CA and then you won't have questions about why someone would OC an empty weapon, why someone would be reluctant to talk to the cops, why the cops who know the law and who know exactly what is going on act the way they do, and what everyone is trying to achieve out there with the video camera and all. It's a good story and it's very interesting but it gets old real fast when folk's (not you) comments start to get into video-taping to try to win a lawsuit or carrying a gun that is going to get stolen nonsense.

kensteele
07-20-2011, 22:20
Guy was a real dick. It's not cops we have to convince. It's your dentist, your mailman, the girl bagging your groceries. These are the people who are going to see a video like this, lump all of us gun owners into the power hungry jerks category and then decide to vote people into office who are for limiting our rights.

Are you serious? Really? :rofl:

whoops dude
07-20-2011, 22:44
Are you serious? Really? :rofl:You're circle of interaction with friends and family maybe very pro-gun. Mine is not and I have friends who would look at this and support people in office who aren't pro 2nd amendment and want to limit and restrict our right to open carry and ccw.

SomeDay
07-20-2011, 22:52
video is now gone....

The mirror site the OP posted still has it.

SomeDay
07-20-2011, 22:54
Yes..

Not for long.

kensteele
07-20-2011, 23:07
You're circle of interaction with friends and family maybe very pro-gun. Mine is not and I have friends who would look at this and support people in office who aren't pro 2nd amendment and want to limit and restrict our right to open carry and ccw.

There was this big, huge trial in Orlando with hours and hours of national TV raw footage and raw feelings. And thousands of people want to change the laws as a result of the trial. And guess what? They'll probably get one good law out of it next year and guess what it won't even affect anyone outside the state of FL. But a youtube clip will get it done.

Don't worry about it. :cool:

skelt11
07-20-2011, 23:11
GT has nothing to do with it. It happened and does happen in CA, you don't have to visit GT in order to know and understand exactly what is going on out there in the real world. At least read and understand the CA laws and then get in touch with the OC movement in CA and then you won't have questions about why someone would OC an empty weapon, why someone would be reluctant to talk to the cops, why the cops who know the law and who know exactly what is going on act the way they do, and what everyone is trying to achieve out there with the video camera and all. It's a good story and it's very interesting but it gets old real fast when folk's (not you) comments start to get into video-taping to try to win a lawsuit or carrying a gun that is going to get stolen nonsense.

I'm actually in SD right now and have been shooting while i'm out here for work and have talked to a lot of others regarding the laws and issues. I wasn't aware you had to carry the weapon unloaded to open carry here. Open carry has never came up in any of the conversations I have had. I did do some reading after seeing this post. I do not however spend my time reading about all the issues going on in all the states. Your comment made it seem like "geez this was posted a year ago, why are we still talking about it". I thought it was a very interesting video and a positive one and glad the OP made the post. I do agree with you about people making post regarding the guy looking for a lawsuit or such.

off road
07-21-2011, 00:56
The guy was clearly baiting the cops. To their credit, they didn't fall for it!

Gun owners do not need this type of unwatned attention, that just gets legislators to come up with new anti-gun laws.

JuneyBooney
07-21-2011, 01:24
Just saw this myself, MAJOR props to the officer. The way he approached the situation was amazing. The guy filming comes off as a jerk.

Nice video. :cool:

DrMaxit
07-21-2011, 02:48
Way to go LEO.

Mahalo_.32
07-21-2011, 05:06
For starters LEO had every right to stop and question "Jeremy" what he did in my eyes was just, plain idiotic!

I have nothing to hide, i have done nothing wrong.... LEOs ID request would have been satisfied. LEO should know or be able to find out if he is dealing with a felon or??

If i were in the LEOs shoes i would have been on high alert by being approached by a random person wearing a camera and a weopon.

Why instigate!?!?!
Kudos to both officers, the display of professionalism was top knotch

Lior
07-21-2011, 05:25
1. Perhaps Jeremy had no other legal way of exercising his 2A rights.
2. As already commented - the officer was good.

Santa CruZin
07-21-2011, 05:53
I am reminded of this picture:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-mg4HoGLDHo/SR4SqdOumnI/AAAAAAAAAIw/Xtaj43jFNyc/s400/hooters-protest.jpg

Mayhem like Me
07-21-2011, 07:46
Are you serious? Really? :rofl:

Yes he is the whole country is not Kansas or Georgia, California is on the edge of maybe getting some better laws, but if attention whores keep making scenes I can tell you that in that state and others as,or more liberal they just won't pass.

clarson_75
07-21-2011, 07:49
Hopefully Viper can take this to the philly pd and let them watch it a few hundred times to see how a good cop would handle this situation!!!

Gunnut 45/454
07-21-2011, 09:08
O.K saw the video so what is the problem with it? What we don't know was the Cop just passing by an stopped or was he called to the scene? The Cop was very Professional I have no problem with him or his actions! The OC individual could have handled himself better!:whistling:

G26man
07-21-2011, 12:41

Why in the world would you OC an empty weapon, and on top of that carry no ID? It strongly smacks of him seeking a confrontation. Lots of things are legal but at the same time asinine or stupid or both.

slama683
07-21-2011, 15:05
]Why in the world would you OC an empty weapon[/B], and on top of that carry no ID? It strongly smacks of him seeking a confrontation. Lots of things are legal but at the same time asinine or stupid or both.

In CA, to open carry the law requires the handgun be unloaded

Hopefully, he at least wrote his name in his underwear, in case he gets in an accident and the hospital wants to notifiy his family.

OctoberRust
07-21-2011, 17:55
I'm not going to argue this either way.

I will ask this though, isn't it illegal to open carry in California now? I think they wrote some law or something calling the unloaded open carry a "loophole"

Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, I just would like to know the answer to what I just asked.

kensteele
07-21-2011, 18:00
For starters LEO had every right to stop and question "Jeremy" what he did in my eyes was just, plain idiotic!

I have nothing to hide, i have done nothing wrong.... LEOs ID request would have been satisfied. LEO should know or be able to find out if he is dealing with a felon or??

If i were in the LEOs shoes i would have been on high alert by being approached by a random person wearing a camera and a weopon.

Why instigate!?!?!
Kudos to both officers, the display of professionalism was top knotch

Ok, I'll play. Why can't the police see him, see that he is doing nothing illegal, don't see that he is on the verge of committing a crime, why can't the police officer glance over and then keep driving and go about his business for the day?

kensteele
07-21-2011, 18:05
Yes he is the whole country is not Kansas or Georgia, California is on the edge of maybe getting some better laws, but if attention whores keep making scenes I can tell you that in that state and others as,or more liberal they just won't pass.

I'm not going to argue this either way.

I will ask this though, isn't it illegal to open carry in California now? I think they wrote some law or something calling the unloaded open carry a "loophole"

Like I said, I have no dog in this fight, I just would like to know the answer to what I just asked.

I'm going to go out on a limb here before I go back and look up exactly what happened but yes I believe the law is settled on this and no I don't believe youtube videos caused it.

WI was on the edge, too and a ton of people pleaded and begging people to "roll over" so they wouldn't "railroad" current efforts. What happened, happened...due to politics and you would be naive to think the public needs to behave so they don't "ruin" it. Youtube is not a factor.

OctoberRust
07-21-2011, 18:41
So if the law is in effect in california, shouldn't he be arrested according to the law?

jeffyjeff
07-21-2011, 18:58

it isn't nor should it be the job of LEO to run the info of any random law-abiding citizen on the street. that you'd comply with any random officer coming up to you asking for ID without cause is laughable, but you're entitled to do that.

So if the law is in effect in california, shouldn't he be arrested according to the law?

i dunno what the law is in california now, but this video is ollllddd.

Misty02
07-21-2011, 19:32
I saw this one already. I absolutely loved it! The officer was absolutely fantastic and I believe he kind of enjoyed that exchange. His comment about youtube was priceless! :)

HKLovingIT
07-21-2011, 19:35
Officer was super professional and courteous.

Citizen was exercising his rights.

Everyone continued on with their day. :yawn:

Psychman
07-22-2011, 09:43
Open carry is allowed in California. Weapon must not have a loaded magazine in the gun and no round in the chamber. Magazine may be loaded carried on the person. Those of you who insist on bashing our California brothers who are trying to improve the gun laws there need to take a step back because from my perspective you are just feeding into the Brady bunch crap.

zackwatt
07-22-2011, 12:05
I wish all police officers could be this professional!

kensteele
07-22-2011, 12:18

A couple posts have said this but it probably should be said again. The video is old and it is in compliance with the CA law at that time. Since then, the law may have changed. if you peruse youtube, you'l find dozens of CA video with LEO encounters, some as pleasant, some not so pleasant. This CA LEO is not an exception, most CA LEO know the law and implemented it professionally even though they didn't agree with it.

Why aren't you looking around on youtube, apparently all everyone else of voting Americans are looking there to influence their voting? :whistling:

ncglock19
07-22-2011, 12:47
+100 if the officer would take a job here in NC. Major kudos to him. He should be the poster child for excellence in law enforcement.

nc19

redbaron007
07-22-2011, 13:19
The officer did a nice job; the OCer may have been exercising their right, however from a PR standpoint, he came off like a jerk.

IMO, If there is any critique of the officer, I think there are two: 1-he could have just observed and carried on without questioning (unless he was called to investigate); 2-requested to verify the weapon was unloaded and then carried on without the questioning. However, what the officer did wasn't wrong, either.

:wavey:

red

Warp
07-22-2011, 14:17
It is also hosted here...call it a backup.

http://www.wimp.com/goodcop

Props to the officer. He did well. The open carrier was being a bit of an ******* though.

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 14:40
just my opinion, this is getting really old. the "i'm going to open carry and videotape it because i need attention" crap has gone to the level of stupid epidemic. the officer treated him with respect. the bozo with the camera should do the same for us.

Warp
07-22-2011, 15:16
just my opinion, this is getting really old. the "i'm going to open carry and videotape it because i need attention" crap has gone to the level of stupid epidemic. the officer treated him with respect. the bozo with the camera should do the same for us.

How does the camera increase his attention?

And, uh, you do realize that concealed carry is illegal for most of these guys in Cali, right?

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 15:17
How does the camera increase his attention?

it's posted on you tube. you'd have to assume he's the one that posted it.

fxstchewy
07-22-2011, 15:24
The cop did a great job. :cool:

Warp
07-22-2011, 15:25
it's posted on you tube. you'd have to assume he's the one that posted it.

Who is he?

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 15:26
Who is he?

the young man with the handgun, and the camera.

Warp
07-22-2011, 15:52
the young man with the handgun, and the camera.

He wanted so much attention that nobody even knows who he is.

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 15:54
consdiering "lackeyjack" has posted 5 videos on his you tube channel, all of which are the same nature, yeah...pretty obvios mr "i know the law better than the cops" wants attention.

Warp
07-22-2011, 16:23
mr "i know the law better than the cops"

? ?

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 16:24
? ?

watch the video again. he states how he isn't required to show identification, it's right before jeremy refuses to give his last name.

at about 1:50.

Warp
07-22-2011, 16:48
watch the video again. he states how he isn't required to show identification, it's right before jeremy refuses to give his last name.

And ?

jakebrake
07-22-2011, 16:52
And ?

and what?

Warp
07-22-2011, 17:19
and what?

Waiting for an explanation behind why you called him "mr i know the law better than the cops", or whatever it was. You said that in a rather derogatory manner. Why?

glock30user
07-22-2011, 17:19
way to go cop!!

kensteele
07-22-2011, 18:00

Clearly you don't know the law.

ozmerish
07-22-2011, 19:01
I don't think the cop could have handled the situation any better than he did. True professional right there.

Ditto.

denn1911
07-22-2011, 19:14
Great job by the police officer. He's a true professional and handled himself very well.

jeffyjeff
07-22-2011, 19:19

transcript:
cop: let me take your name down [..]
jeremy: i'm not required to provide that information
cop: well you are required to identify you, you don't have to show i.d. you can do it verbally, can you do that?
jeremy: i'm not required
cop: you can't do that at all?
jeremy: no.. there is not a stop and i.d. statute
cop: what's your last name, jeremy huh?
jeremy: i'm not going to tell you my last name.

then the cop drops it because he knows he can't force him to identify himself. when the cop said that he was required to identify himself, that was a lie in order to try and trick "jeremy" into identifying himself. police lying to get information from people is not uncommon, and i don't have any issue with it. if people are uninformed of their rights, that's their own problem.

in the end that was pretty much a perfect exchange as far as i'm concerned. if you see something wrong with that, lol. :upeyes:

Warp
07-22-2011, 20:18
transcript:
cop: let me take your name down [..]
jeremy: i'm not required to provide that information
cop: well you are required to identify you, you don't have to show i.d. you can do it verbally, can you do that?
jeremy: i'm not required
cop: you can't do that at all?
jeremy: no.. there is not a stop and i.d. statute
cop: what's your last name, jeremy huh?
jeremy: i'm not going to tell you my last name.

then the cop drops it because he knows he can't force him to identify himself. when the cop said that he was required to identify himself, that was a lie in order to try and trick "jeremy" into identifying himself. police lying to get information from people is not uncommon, and i don't have any issue with it. if people are uninformed of their rights, that's their own problem.

in the end that was pretty much a perfect exchange as far as i'm concerned. if you see something wrong with that, lol. :upeyes:

In some cases I would agree. But when telling somebody they are legally required to do something that they are not I completely disagree.