a few questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

Tebow
07-20-2011, 12:02
Mas,
When I was set on buying a Glock 19, you advised I get 124gr JHP for home/self defense.
I have a friend with a vast knowledge of firearms and he recommended Hornady TAP for warm weather carry. He then said he only carries Hornady Critical Defense for winter.
The TAP is 124gr and Critical Defense is 115gr.

While looking into the critical defense round, I read mixed opinions. What is your professional opinion and experience with the round?

I bought 50 rounds of each. Would I be at any disadvantage carrying 115gr over 124gr in summer?
----

I read in a post (which I can't find), a guy said he was at a training course for pistols and the instructor said if you put your thumb on the back of the slide and the barrel into the target and pull the trigger, a "shotgun size" hole is the result. He was using a glock. Any truth to that and why would that happen?
----

Last question. Do you have any experience or knowledge with glock stocks? I'm thinking about getting one in the future and any info would be great.
Here's an example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY9alZRIF88

Thank you for your help.

Mas Ayoob
07-20-2011, 18:40
Question 1: Both are fine quality ammo, but I don't know of any actual shootings with either. These days, we have so many street-proven 9mm loads I'm reluctant to suggest that anyone become the guinea pig for an as yet unproven one, however promising they might look in gel tests, etc.

Question 2: First, the "thumb on the back of the slide" thing won't be good for your thumb, and will turn your semi-auto into a single-shot pistol. Your instructor was talking about muzzle contact gunshots, which send the muzzle blast into the wound and can indeed make an entry wound that resembles entry hole of a shotgun slug. Arms being stronger than hands, when you ram your gun into the other guy's chest, your thumb is likely to flex and fail in its assigned task with this idea, which is to keep the gun from going out of battery and failing to fire. You can achieve what's called "stand-off capability," which means essentially that the gun will fire and keep firing at muzzle contact, better by (a) attaching to your pistol a flashlight that extends farther than the muzzle; (b) using a Springfield XD (ideally with 4" or shorter barrel) whose prognatheous recoil spring guide rod tends to create stand-off, or (c) using a revolver, since this has always been one advantage of the wheelgun.

Question 3: I'd check with ATF before trying that one...you might want to toss it out in the Class III section of GT and see what the collective experience has been with it.

best,
Mas